WYNN/WINN "gateway" ancestry?

DadG...@aol.com

Dec 7, 2002, 12:53:00 PM12/7/02
The archives contain a 1999 discussion of the interesting ancestry of Maurice
Wynn (1529 - 10 Aug 1580) of Caernarvon, Wales. However, I can find no
archival reference to descents from this individual, nor can I find him
listed in the secondary sources to which I have immediate access that discuss
ancestors of "gateway" immigrants.

On the other hand, I have recently found just such a gateway descent on
various web sites (unsourced, of course). Furthermore, through the first
wife of Maurice Wynn, Janet Bulkeley, there is an alleged Plantagenet
ancestry to Edward III.

The purported descent to the immigrant is as follows:

FIRST GENERATION

Morys (Maurice) WYNN (born 1529, Gwynedd, Caernarvon, Wales; died 10 Aug
1580, Dolwyddelan, Gwynedd, Caernarvon, Wales) in 1548 married (as his first
of three wives) Janett/Jane BULKELEY (born 1531, Gwynedd, Caernarvon, Wales;
no date or place of death shown). They were parents of:

SECOND GENERATION

Sir John WYNN, 1st Baronet of Gwydir (born 1553, Gwynedd, Caernarvon, Wales;
died 1 Mar 1625/26, Llanrwst, Denbigh, Wales) on 11 Jun 1576, in St. John
Baptist, Chester, Cheshire, England, married Sidney GERALD (or GERRARD) (born
1560, Caernarvon, Wales; died 8 Jun 1632, Gwydir, Caernarvon, Wales). They
were parents of:

THIRD GENERATION

Sir Owen WYNN (born 1592, Gwynedd, Caernarvon, Wales; died 13 Aug 1660, no
place of death shown) in 1624, in London, married Grace WILLIAMS (born abt
1611, of Werg, Caernarvon, Wales; no date or place of death shown). They
were parents of:

FOURTH GENERATION

John WINN (born 1627, London, Middlesex, England; died 1694, Westmoreland
Co., Virginia) in 1650, in Westmoreland Co., Virginia, married Elizabeth
MINOR (born 1628, Westmoreland Co., Virginia; died Westmoreland Co., Virginia)

Presumably John Winn is the immigrant, although the absence of information
about the place of death of his parents, Sir Owen Wynn and Grace Williams,
also leaves open the possibility that the whole family immigrated.

Incidentally, Elizabeth Minor, the wife of John Winn, also has an alleged
ancestral line to Henry III, according to various web sites.

Given the significance of the above, if true, I am hoping that there are
members of the group that have information about the descendants of Maurice
Wynn and Janet Bulkeley or are aware of source material where such
information could be found.

Thanks,

John Stuart
DadG...@aol.com

Rick Eaton

Dec 7, 2002, 2:16:11 PM12/7/02
Perhaps the following, both posted at the Eaton genforum
list by Barbara Fitzsenry, will point you in a favorable
direction. She is a consummate Internet researcher, but
would -- if she were posting it herself -- tell you that she
cannot vouch for it.

You will find that Yale = Wynn/Wyn/Wynne = Nanney.

By any name, this is a Welsh clan.

In Radnorshire, today, there is an Inn operated by a
Wynne-Eaton couple. The Eytons and Eatons of Wales stemmed
from the Shropshire family.

Also, I wonder is the "Maurice" for whom you are looking is
actually Morriss. However, at about the mid-point of what I
have posted, there also is a Maurice Wynn, perhaps the very
fellow you afor whom you are searching. See the second
reference below for my question.

> Maurice Wynn, of Glynn, esq. was sheriff of Merioneth in 1671. He
> espoused Jane, daughter and heiress of Griffith Lloyd, esq. of
> Maes-y-neuadd in that shire, and by her had issue,

I hope that it helps a bit.

Rick Eaton

From Yale Genealogy ... is taken:

John Yale was born about 1490. His wife was Elizabeth Mostyn
He is the son of David and Gwenwhyfar (Lloyd) Lloyd ap
Ellis. She was the daughter of Thomas Mostyn, of Mostyn,
county Flint, Wales. They had two children:

i. Thomas Yale: He was the heir to Plas-yn-Yale.
ii. Jane Yale: She married Joseph Haynes.

His second marriage was to Agnes Lloyd. She was born in
Wales about 1510. She is the daughter of John Lloyd. They
had one child:

i. David Yale, (Dr.) [#5288]: He was born in England about
1535, and died in Chester, England, in 1626.

He was also called John Wyn or John Wynn. He inherited
Plas-yn-Yale from his father.

The father of John Yale (Wynn), was David Lloyd ap Elisse
(Ellis) of Plas-yn-Ial, who was descended from a long line
of honorable, illustrious and noble ancestors.

David Yale, (Dr.) was born in England about 1535, and died
in Chester, England, in 1626. His wife was Frances Lloyd He
is the son of John and Agnes (Lloyd) Yale. She is the
daughter of John, (Dr.) and Elizabeth (Pigott) Lloyd. They
had 14 children:

i. Thomas Yale [#2644]: He was born in England about 1580,
and died in England in August, 1619.

It will be noted here, as well as in the preceding pedigree,
that Thomas Yale, whose descendants continued the line of
"Plas-yn-Yale" and Dr. David Yale, the ancestor of the Yales
of Plas Grono, were half brothers; hence the relationship of
the Yales of these two ancient estates will be understood.

This was Anne Lloyd's first husband and grandfather of Elihu
Yale of Yale University.

* * *

Under the Auspices of The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion

WYNN (afterwards NANNEY, etc.) family of Maesyneuadd,
Llandecwyn, Merioneth.

This family, like others in western Merioneth, traced its
decent from Osbwrn Wyddel (q.v.), in this instance through
DAFYDD AP IEUAN AB EINION, constable of Harlech Castle
(q.v.), and his wife, MARGARET (PULESTON). THOMAS, the son
of Dafydd and Margaret, married GWERFYL, daughter of HOWEL
AP RHYS, of Bron-y-foel - see Ellis family of Bron-y-foel
and Ystumllyn - and had a son, DAFYDD, who married LOWRY,
daughter of MAURICE GETHIN, Voelas, Denbighshire - see the
Wynne family of Voelas. The heir of Dafydd and Lowry was
HUMPHREY AP DAFYDD, who was, it may be noted incidentally,
the uncle of HUMPHREY DAVIES, vicar of Darowen (q.v.).

Humphrey ap Dafydd married ANNES, daughter of ELIZA MORRIS
(i.e. ELLIS AP MAURICE), Clene nau - see Morris and Owen
families of Clenennau - their heir being EDWARD AP HUMPHREY,
whose death in 1620 was mourned in cywyddau written by Sion
Phylip, Rhisiart Phylip, and Gruffydd Phylip (see Phylipiaid
Ardudwy); the last-named also wrote a cywydd moliant to
'Mastr Edward Humphhre'. It was by his first wife (of three)
that he was the father of ROBERT AB EDWARD AP HUMPHREY, who
by his wife, ELLIW, daughter and heiress of IFAN AP RHYS
WYNN, Hendre'r Mur, Maentwrog, had two daughters - (1)
ELIZABETH, who married ROBERT, son of archdeacon EDMUND PRYS
(q.v.), and (2) MARGARET, the heiress of Maesyneuadd, who by
her husband, GRIFFITH LLOYD, of Rhiwgoch, Merioneth, became
the mother of another Maesyneuadd heiress, JANE LLOYD.

It is by the marriage of Jane Lloyd with MORRIS WYNN AP
WILLIAM WYNN of Glyn (Cywarch) - see Wynn and Owen families
of Glyn (Cywarch), etc. - that the surname Wynn comes into
the Maesyneuadd family, to continue in use thereafter for
several generations. Morris Wynn, who had been sheriff of
Merioneth in 1670, died on S. Bartholomew's day, 1673; for
extracts from an elegy upon him written by Phylip Sion
Phylip, another member of the 'Phylipiaid Ardudwy' family
(q.v.). Morris Wynn, who was the second son of William Wynn,
Glyn (Cywarch), is described as of Moel-y-glo, a house not
far distant from Glyn (Cywarch) and Maesyneuadd. By his wife
JANE LLOYD (above), the heiress of Maesneuadd, he was the
father of ROBERT WYNN (died 1691), who became sheriff of
Merioneth in 1679, and who married JANE EVANS, of
Tan-y-bwlch, Maentwrog - see Evans, Griffith, and Oakeley
families, of Tan-y-bwlch. Robert and Jane Wynn were, in
their turn, the parents of WILLIAM WYNN (died 1720?), who
was sheriff of Merioneth in 1714, and who married twice -
(1) MARGARET, daughter of ELLIS BRYNKIR, the mother of his
heir, ROBERT WYNN, who was sheriff of Merioneth in 1734, and
who had [an aunt,] LOWRY, who became the first wife of ELLIS
WYNNE (q.v.), author of Gweledigaetheu y Bardd Cwsc, and (2)
MARGARET, daughter and coheiress of ROGER LLOYD, Rhagad,
near Corwen - it was this second Margaret who was the mother
of WILLIAM WYNN (q.v.), rector of Llangynhafal, Denbs., and
an eminent poet.

ROBERT WYNN, the son of William Wynn and Margaret (Brynkir),
was the sheriff of Merioneth in 1734. He had a brother,
ELLIS WYNN (who matriculated, as of Jesus College, Oxford, 9
March 1714/5, and who lived later at Congleton, Cheshire),
and a sister, JANE, who became the wife of the Rev. WILLIAM
WYNN, son of ELLIS WYNNE, author of Gweledigaetheu (as above
- for this other William Wynn see the article on his
father). Robert Wynn's heir, WILLIAM WYNN (died 4 April
1795), sheriff of Merioneth in 1758, assumed the name of
Nanney - his mother was LOWRY NANNEY, [daughter of JOHN
NANNEY III of Maes-y-pandy]; his heir (by ELIZABETH,
daughter of JOHN WILLIAMS, Ty Fry, Penraeth, Anglesey) was
the rev. JOHN NANNEY, who died 21 March 1838, leaving a son,
JOHN NANNEY (died 1868), of Maesyneuadd and Maes-y-pandy,
who was sheriff of Caernarvonshire in 1858. The Maesyneuadd
line was continued through ROBERT CHAMBRE VAUGHAN
(1796-1876), son of this John Nanney's sister, LOWRY NANNEY
(died 1803), and her husband, THOMAS VAUGHAN (DIED 1804),
Burlton Hall, Shropshire. Robert Chambre Vaughan was
succeeded by his grand son, THOMAS GOLDISBOROUGH CHAMBRE
VAUGHAN (born 1856).

WYNN, PRYSE, and CORBET families, Ynysmaengwyn, Merioneth,
and GWYN and NANNEY families, Dolau Gwyn, Merioneth.

This is another Merioneth family claiming descent from
OSBWRN WYDDEL (q.v.). Orbwrn's son KENRIC (CYNWRIG) had a
son LLYWELYN, who had married NEST, daughter and heiress of
GRUFFYDD AB ADDA of Dol Goch and Ynysmaengwyn. The
descendants of Llywelyn and Nest, in direct line (as far as
Ynysmaengwyn was concerned), were GRUFFYDD, EINION (who
married TANGLWST, daughter of RHYDDERCH AB IEUAN LLYWD,
Goderddan, Cards.), IORWERTH (living in 1425), and JENKIN AP
IORWERTH. Jenkin ab Iorwerth was "farmer" (lessee under the
Crown) of the mills of Kevyng and Caethleff (Caethley) and
of the ferry of Aberdovey, in the thirty-sixth year of Henry
VI. Jenkin ab Iorweth's son, HOWEL, died of the plague in
1495, but HUMPHREY (died 1545), his son by his wife MARY,
daughter of Sir ROGER KYNASTON, constable of Harlech castle,
continued the line. Humphrey married ANNES, daughter of Sir
RICHARD HERBERT, Montgomery, and was, by her, the father of
JOHN WYNN AP HUMPHREY, who married ANN, daughter of RHYS
VAUGHAN of Corsygedol, and was succeeded by his son,
HUMPHREY WYNN (living in 1571). Humphrey Wynn, to whom Siôn
Phylip addressed a cywydd asking him to give a harp to Siôn
ap Richard, Pennal, married JANE (HUGHES of Maes-y-pandy)
and left two daughters, coheiresses - (1) ELIZABETH (died 17
May 1642); she married Sir JAMES PRYSE of Gogerddan (died
1642), who was sheriff of Merioneth in 1606 and to whom
Rhisiart Phylip, Siôn Phylip, and Siôn Cain wrote poems, and
(2) CATHERINE, whose husband was JOHN OWEN AP JOHN AP LEWIS
AB OBEN, of Llwyn, Dolgelley.

The heir of Elizabeth and Sir James Pryse was their daughter
BRIDGET, who married (1) ROBERT CORBET, third son of Sir
VINCENT CORBET, Moreton Corbet, Salop, and (2) Sir WALTER
LLOYD (q.v.), Llanfair Clydogau, Cards. Robert and Bridget
Corbet were succeeded by VINCENT CORBET, (died 1723), high
sheriff of Merioneth, 1682, who had married ANN, daughter of
WILLIAM VAUGHAN (q.v.) of Corsygedol. They left four
coheiresses - (1) ANN, who married ATHELSTAN OWEN,
Rhiwsaeson, Mont. (q.v.), and through whom the Ynysmaengwyn
line was continued, (2) JANE, (3) ELIZABETH, and (4)
RACHAEL. CORBET OWEN and RICHARD OWEN, the sons of Ann and
Athelstan Owen, left no heirs, their line being continued by
their sister ANN OWEN (died 1767) and her husband, PRYSE
MAURICE (1699-1799), Lloran Ucha, etc., who assumed the name
of Corbet, as did others who succeeded him, the last being
ATHELSTAN JOHN SODEN CORBET (born 1850), who was high
sheriff of Merioneth in 1875.

The Ynysmaengwyn estate was sold in 1874 to John Corbett, of
Impney, Member of Parliament for Droitwich, who, however,
was not connected by blood with the other Corbets. For a
note on the house, see article by W.J. Hemp in Archaeologia
Cambrensis, xcvii, 230. There is a connection between
Ynysmaengwyn and the adjoining house of Dolau Gwyn, which is
just off the road leading from Towyn to Abergynolwyn. LEWIS
GWYN (died 1630) of Dolau Gwyn, who was high sheriff of
Merioneth in 1617, was the second son of JOHN WYNN AB
HUMPHREY (above). By his first wife, JANE, daughter of HUGH
NANNEY, of Nannau, LEWIS GWYN had two daughters, GWEN
(below) and ELIZABETH, who married EDWARD NANNEY, of Nannau.
By his second wife, ANNES, daughter of HUGH GWYN AB EVAN,
Llwyn Griffri, Llanddwywe, Merioneth, he had four daughters,
one of whom became coheiress with her sister, ELIZABETH.

The Welsh surname Nanny or Nanney is locative in origin,
that is to say derived from the name of a place or locality
- in the present case the lands and house of Nannau, near
Dolgelly in Merionethshire, which for many ages has been the
home of the family. The Nanneys of Nannau are descended from
Cadwgan Lord of Nannau, second son of Bleddyn ap Cynfyn,
Prince of Powys, from whom the third royal tribe of Wales
was descended. Howel Selyf or Sele, possessor of Nannau in
the time of Owain Glyndwr, was ninth from Bleddyn ap Cynfyn;
his grandfather, Ynyr Fychan (junior), son of Ynyr ap
Meurig, presented a petition to the prince of Wales in the
thirty-third year of Edward I's reign statng the King had
made him Rhaglor of the comot of Talybont for his services
in taking Madoc ap Llywelyn, who in the last war had made
himself Prince of Wales. The petition was not granted as
Ynyr could show no title or charter to the office. Hugh
Nanney was head of the family during the first half of the
seventeenth century and his name appears in the list of
sheriffs of Merionethshire in 1627 and 1638. He died in
1647. The last of the line of Nanneys was his grandson,
Colonel Hugh Nanney, Member of Parliament, Colonel of the
Militia of his county and Vice-Admiral of North Wales in the
last years of William III. He had no son and the Nanney
estates were eventually inherited by Hugh Vaughan, eldest
son of his third daughter, Catherine.

The Nanneys of Cefn Deuddwr were a branch of the great house
but became extinct in the nineteenth century when the lineal
representative, the Rev. Richard Nanney (died 1812) devised
the estate to his sister's son, David Ellis, of Gwynfryn,
Caernarvonshire. The latter died without issue and left the
united estates of Geynfryn and Cefn Deuddwr to his sister's
son, Owen jones, of Brynkir, who took after his own surname
those of Ellis and Nanney.

The Nanneys of Maes-y-Neuadd, Merionethshire, were descended
through the Wynns, of Glynn, from Osborne Fitzgerald, lord
of Ynys-y-Maengwyn. Robert Wynn who was Sheriff of Merioneth
in 1734 married the heiress of nanneys of Maes-y-Pandy in
that country and his son and heir, William Wynn, assumed the
name Nanney.

A Robert Nanney is said to have sailed from London for
America in 1635 and he may well be the ancestor of the
present day Nanneys of the United States. In the days when
communities were small a person was identified by a single
name only but with the increase in, and movement of,
population, confusions arose and it became necessary to
adopt a cognomen derived from one of four sources - the name
of an ancestor, a place (of origin or residence), an
occupation or some personal characteristic or nickname. Thus
a man named John who was a member of the family resident of
Nannau might be known as "John (of) Nannau or Nanney" in
order to distinguish him from others of the same Christian
name and in the course of time the cognomen became
hereditary in what we now term surnames, ceasing to have any
reference to the bearer's place of origin. Whilst
researching the family Coat of Arms we traced the most
ancient recording and grant of the name. The most ancient
grant of a Coat of Arms found was: Gold with a blue lion.
The Crest was: A blue lion. The arms illustrated which may
be described heraldically as Or, a lion rampant azure are
ascribed to Cadwgan, Lord of Nannau, mentioned above, and
used by the Nanney family by virtue of their descent from
him.Writers in the past have attributed symbolism to the
tinctures and charges of heraldry - thus or (gold) is said
to denote generosity and azure (blue), loyalty and truth.
The lion has always held a high place in heraldry as the
emblem of deathless courage and therefore of the valiant
warrior.

The Development of Welsh Heraldry

Nannau, later Nanney, of Nannau, Llanfachreth, Merioneth.
(WG 2, Bleddyn ap Cynfyn 51(A))

See Cadwgon of Nannau, and Meurig Fychan ab Ynyr Fychan,
whose effigy with an armorial shield is in Dolgellau Church.
The family took the name Nannau, or Nanney.
'Bleddyn ap Cynfyn', quartered with 'Cadwgon of Nannau'.
(d: LD 2, 405 (1588), for Huw N. of Nannau)
Ditto, a difference of a marlet.
(d:LD 2, 420 (1588), for Richard N. of Cefndeuddwr,
Trawsfynydd, Merioneth)
Azure, a lion rampant Or (Cadwgon of Nannau)
(p: LGC 1, No. 18, for a descendant in the female line of
Meurig Llwyd of Nannau; tr: WmLL 1, 469 for Huw Nannau)
Or, a lion rampant Azure
(tr: Harleian 2167, 154, with nine other quarters, for Mr.
Nanney of Nannau, sheriff 1627)
Crest: A lion rampant Azure, on a wreath Or and Azure.
(ibid.)
Mottoes:
1. Nec timet nec tumet virtus. (ibid.)
2. Gwell Duw na dim.
(Huw Nanney, 1632, portrait, Miles K. W. Cato, 'Nannau and
Early Portraiture in North Wales', Journal of Merioneth
Historical and Record Society, XI (1991), pl. XI. 3)

Nanney, The Reverend John, of Belmont, county of Denbigh,
and Maes-y-neuadd, in Merionethshire, married first, in
January, 1795, Ann, third daughter and co-heiress of Sir
Thomas Kyffin, of Maenan, in the former shire, by whom (who
died September20,1823) he had no issue. He espoused,
secondly, October19,1829, Ann Fleming, eldest daughter of
John Fisher, esq. of Chetwynd Lodge, in the county of Salop,
by whom he has had a daughter, born 30th December,1830, who
died in the following year, and a son and heir, born in
July,1833, now living. This family is a branch of that of
Wynne, of Peniarth (refer to vol. i, page 565). Maurice
Wynn, of Glynn, esq. was sheriff of Merioneth in 1671. He
espoused Jane, daughter and heiress of Griffith Lloyd, esq.
of Maes-y-neuadd in that shire, and by her had issue,

I. Robert, of whom hereafter.

II. Margaret, married first, to Morris Williams, of llwyn
Crwn, and secondly to Charles Evans.

III. Another daughter, married to Griffith Lloyd, of
Gwerneinion.

IV. Anne, wife of Robert Owen, of Tygwyn, in the parish of
Dolgelley.

Mr. Wynn died in August,1673, and was buried in the chancel
of Llandanwg church, county of Merioneth. He was succeeded
by his only son, Robert Wynn, of Maes-y-neuadd, esq. sheriff
of Merionethshire in 1679, espoused Jane, daughter of Robert
Evans, esq. of Tan-y-bwlch, in that shire, by whom, who was
buried at Llandanwg, 22nd July,1712, he had issue,

I. William, his heir.

II. Maurice, married Mary, daughter of Thomas lloyd, of
Hendre Urien, and had issue, Robert, who married, and had
issue.

III. Robert, in holy orders, rector of Rhiw, county of
Carnarvon, espoused Ann, daughter of John Lewis, of Rhiw.

IV. Lowry, married in September,1698, Ellis Wynn, of
Lasynys, county of Merioneth.

V. Elizabeth, wife of Robert Lloyd, of Dduallt.

VI. Jane, wife of Owen Owen, of Dolgelley.

VII. Margaret, wife of John More.

VIII. Catherine, daughter of Morgan Prys, of Gerddibluog.

IX. Ann, wife of John Pugh, of Bodilan.

Mr. Wynn died in October,1691, and was buried in the church
at Llandanwg. He was succeeded by his eldest son, William
Wynn, of Maes-y-neuadd, esq. sheriff in Merioneth in 1714.
He espoused, first, (about the 3rd of William and Mary)
Margaret, a daughter of the very ancient house of Brynker,
in the county of Carnarvon, (being the daughter of Ellis
Brynker, of that place, by Jane, his wife, daughter of
Robert Wynne, of Glynn, esq.) (refer to vol. i, page 569)
and by her had,

I. Robert, his successor.

II. Ellis, in holy orders, M. A. of Cheshire, espoused
Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress of Leftwich Oldfield,
esq. of Leftwich, in the same county, and by her had,
Leftwich Bowyer Wynn - William - Elizabeth, married in 1753,
to Sir Nigel Gresley, bart.

III. Jane, living in 1720.

Mr. Wynn married secondly, Margaret, daughter of Roger
Lloyd, of Rhagatt, county of Merioneth, and relict of
Meredith Lloyd, a younger son of the ancient family of
Lloyd, of Rhewedog, in the same shire, and had, William, M.
A. rector of Llangynhafal, in Denbighshire, and Manavon,
county Montgomery, married ______ daughter of ______
Roberts, and by her had issue. This gentleman was a
distinguished Welsh poet. He died in 1760. The will of Mr.
Wynn is dated on the 20th January,1720. He was succeeded by
his eldest son, Robert Wynn, of Maes-y-neuadd, esq. sheriff
of Merioneth in 1734. This gentleman espoused Lowry, sister
and heiress of John Nannay, esq. of Maes-y-pandy, in that
county, and had a son and successor, William Wynn, of
Maes-y-neuadd, esq. sheriff of Merionethshire in 1758, who
assumed the surname Nanney, upon inheriting the estates of
his mother's family. He espoused Elizabeth, daughter of John
Williams, esq. of Tyfry, in Anglesea, and dying 4th
April,1795, left issue,

I. Robert, died unmarried, 25th March,1803.

II. John, who retained the surname of Nanney, assumed by his
father, and is the present proprietor.

III. William (Sir) a distinguished military officer,
governor of Sandown Fort, in the Isle of Wight, espoused
29th December,1801, Mary, eldest daughter of Colonel Long,
of Tubney, in Berkshire. This gentleman retains the surname
of Wynn.

IV. Margaret Wynn.

V. Mary Wynn, died unmarried, in 1833.

VI. Lowry Nanney Wynn, married to Thomas Vaughan, esq. of
Burlton, county Salop, and had, with other issue, a son and
heir, Robert Chambre Vaughan, now of Burlton, esq. who
espoused 11th september,1828, Anna, third daughter of the
Hon. Edward Massey, and has issue.

VII. Jane Wynn, married to John Lloyd, esq. a younger son of
the family of Lloyd, of Gwerclos, in Merioneth. She died in
December,1824, and Mr. Lloyd, on the 24th December,1825.

The family of Nanney is one of the most ancient in Wales.
They have repeatedly sat in parliament, for Merionethshire,
and the county now returns Sir Robert Williames Vaughan,
bart. the representative of the elder branch, and possessor
of the Nanney estate. Edward Nanney, (second son of Hugh
Nanney, of Nanney, esq. sheriff of Merionethshire in 1587,
and younger brother of Griffith Nanney, esq. M. P. for that
county in 1592) lineally descended from Cadogan, lord of
Nanney, one of the sons of Bleddyn ap Cynvyn, prince of
Powis, espoused Elizabeth, daughter of Lewis Gwynn, esq. of
Dolaugwyn, in the county Merioneth, and left, with other
issue, a son and heir, Lewis Nanney, esq. sheriff of
Merionethshire in 1634, married Jane, daughter and heiress
of John Hughes, esq. of Maes-y-pandy, in the same county,
and by her, who espoused secondly, John Lloyd, esq. of
Aberlleveney, had issue, John Nanney, esq. of Maes-y-pandy,
who espoused Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of John Anwyl,
esq. of Llanvendiged, in Merionethshire. Mr. Nanney was
living 26th November,1691, but his wife was then dead. He
was succeeded by his son, John Nanney, esq. of Maes-y-pandy,
and in right of his mother, of Llanvendiged. He married
Blandina, (who is supposed to have been a daughter of
Vincent Corbet, esq. of Ynys-y-maen-gwyn) and by her had
issue

I. John, his heir.

II. Vincent.

III. Lewis.

Mr. Nanney was succeeded by his son, John Nanney, esq. of
Maes-y-pandy, who wedded about the year 1691, Mary, one of
the daughters of Humphrey Pughe, esq. of Aberffrydlan,
county of Montgomery, and by her had, with other issue, a
son and successor, John Nanney, of Maes-y-pandy, esq. who
dying without issue, the estates devlved upon his eldest
sister, lowry, who, as before stated, was the wife of Robert
Wynn, of Maes-y-neuadd, esq.

Arms - Quarterly; first and fourth, or, a lion rampant
azure, for Nanney. Second and third, ermine, on a saltier,
gules, a crescent, or, for Wynn.

Crest - A lion rampant azure.

Estates - In the counties of Merioneth, Flint, and Denbigh,
acquired by the marriages of of Maurice Wynn and Jane Lloyd,
Robert Wynn and Lowry Nanney, and the present proprietor
with Ann Kyffin, with considerable augmentations by
purchase.

Seats - Belmont, in Denbighshire, and Maes-y-neuadd, in
Merionethshire.

RICHARD NANNEY (1691-1767), Evangelical cleric.

He was born in 1691, one of the Cefndeuddwr family by
Trawsfynydd, a branch of the ancient house of Nannau (q.v.).
He matriculated from Jesus College, Oxford, in 1710,
graduated B.A. in 1714, M.A. in 1719; he was made vicar of
Clynnog in 1718, and the rector of Llanaelhaearn in 1725;
Foster adds that he was also canon of Bangor. He was deeply
endowed with a fine liberality of spirit, which is not all
surprising when one remembers that his mother was daughter
to RICHARD EDWARDS of Nanhoron (q.v.), prominent as a
Puritan squire in Restoration times, that his sister
CATHERINE was married to Dr. KNIGHT of Caernarvon, another
family with strong nonconformist contacts, and that HIS WIFE
WAS ONE OF THE WYNNS of Wern by Penmorfa, very open-minded
in their politics. Nanney became one of the foremost
supporters of the circulating schools of Griffith Jones (at
clynnog the school was often held in the parish church, at
other times in distant houses on the borders); many of his
letters occur in 'Welch Piety', all testifying to the value
of education and some containing good suggestions regarding
the lessons to be given, and some loud in their praises of
the old schoolmaster Thomas Gough (as Gough had at one time
been the teacher of Robert Jones of Rhos-lan (q.v.), it is
natural enough to find the latter's eloquent tribute to
Nanney in 'Drych yr Amseroedd). He drank pretty deeply of
the spirit of the Methodist Revival - though he is not
included among the Methodist clergymen like Griffiths of
Nevern and Jones of Llan-gan - and accounts are given of
crowds of people listening to him preach at Clynnog, many
coming from adjoining parishes; and a vivid contrast is
drawn between the apathy of his early years and the fruitful
piety of the days awakening. He held the LANDS OF ELERNION
BY LLANAELHAEARN, A SMALL ESTATE THAT BELONGED TO HIS WIFE'S
FAMILY; but things of this world mattered little to him;
according to Robert Jones, he never knew any horse but the
one he rode on. His son, also RICHARD NANNEY, was in holy
orders (he died in 1812), very different from his father in
many respects, but quite as Puritan in his outlook on the
sanctity of the Sabbath, as witness a sharp letter of his
(21January1799) to one of the Caernarvon attorneys.
CATHERINE NANNEY, daughter of Richard Nanney the elder,
married RICHARD ELLIS of Bodychen, another clergyman, and
successor to his father-in-law as vicar of Clynnog; they
were the parents of DAVID ELLIS NANNEY (q.v.), the learned
lawyer, ancestor of SIR HUGH J. ELLIS NANNEY of Gwynfryn by
Llanystumdwy.

The Princes and Lords of Powis-land (p.47)

1. 877 Merfyn, 3d. son of Rodri Mawr.
2. 900 Cadeth, Prince of South-Wales.
3. 907 Howel dha, Prince of all Wales.
4. --- Gwaithvoed Vawr.
5. --- Gwerystan ap Gwaithvoed.
6. --- Convyn ap Gwerygan.
7. 1061 Bledhyn ap Convyn.
8. 1073 Mredith ap Bledhyn.
9. 1132 Madoc ap Mredith.
10. 1160 Griffith ap Mredith.
11. ---- Owen Cyvelioc.
12. 1196 Gwenwinwin.
13. ---- Griffith ap Gwenwinwin.
14. ---- Owen ap Griffith.
15. 1324 John Charleton, one of the Bed-Chamber to King
Edward II, married Hawys daughter of Owen Griffith.
16. 1353 John Charleton, Lord Powys.
17. 1360 John Charleton, Lord Powys.
18. 1374 John Charleton, Lord Powys.
19. 1401 Edward Charleton, Lord Powys.
20. 1426 John Grey, Lord Powys, created Earl of Tankerville
in Normandy. 6.H.5.
21. 1419 John Grey, son of John.
22. 1449 Richard Grey, Lord Powys.
23. 1465 John Gray, Lord Powys.
24. ---- John Gray, Lord Powys.
25. 1528 Edward Gray, the last Lord Powys, of the race of
Mervyn, son of Roderick King of Wales.
26. 1629 William Herbert of Red Castle, son of Edw., 2d. son
of Will. Herbert Earl of Pembroke, created Lord Powys,
5.Car.I.Apr.2.
27. 1655 Percy Herbert, Lord Powys.
28. William Herbert, Son of Percy aforesaid, created Earl of
Powys, Apr. 4. 1674.

Rick Eaton

Voice: 203.453.6261 Fax:203.453.0076

eaton...@cshore.com

DadG...@aol.com

Dec 7, 2002, 3:20:25 PM12/7/02

In a message dated 12/7/02 11:16:56 AM, eaton...@cshore.com writes:

<< [snip]

You will find that Yale = Wynn/Wyn/Wynne = Nanney.

By any name, this is a Welsh clan.

In Radnorshire, today, there is an Inn operated by a

Wynne-Eaton couple. The Eytons and Eatons of Wales stemmed

from the Shropshire family.

Also, I wonder is the "Maurice" for whom you are looking is

actually Morriss. However, at about the mid-point of what I

have posted, there also is a Maurice Wynn, perhaps the very

fellow you afor whom you are searching. See the second

reference below for my question.

> Maurice Wynn, of Glynn, esq. was sheriff of Merioneth in 1671. He

> espoused Jane, daughter and heiress of Griffith Lloyd, esq. of

> Maes-y-neuadd in that shire, and by her had issue,

I hope that it helps a bit.

Rick Eaton

[snip] >>

Rick,

I have seen the Maurice Wynn (1529-1580) of my inquiry also referred to as
Morys Wynn, so it seems likely that Morriss would be yet another spelling.
Nonetheless, it does not appear that any of the Wynnes shown in your relay of
postings by Barbara Fitzsenry are from a closely related branch of the
family.

Maurice/Morys/Morriss Wynn (1529-1580) was the eldest son of John ap Mredydd
Wynn from whom he inherited Gwydir. According to one web site, he represented
the county of Caernavon in Parliament for periods starting October 5, 1553,
April 5, 1554, January 23, 1558-59, and January 11, 1562-3. He was Sheriff
of Caernavonshire in 1555, 1570, and 1578. It is said in one web site that
he was generally accepted as the senior male heir of the Princes of Gwynedd
(and therefore de jure Prince of Gwynedd). That same site asserts that, in
the early nineteenth century, his descendant, Sir Watkyn Williams Wynn of
Wynnstay was widely regarded in Wales as the rightful Prince of Wales. In
1999, Graham Milne posted 10 lines of ascent from Maurice/Morys/Morriss Wynn
(1529-1580) to Owain ap Gruffydd, King of Gwynedd, died 1169/70.
Maurice/Morys/Morriss Wynn (1529-1580) also was the third husband of
Catherine of Berain, sometimes called "Mother of Wales" because of her
widespread progeny from her four husbands. Catherine of Berain was also a
possible great-granddaughter of Henry VII through his debated illegitimate
son, Roland de Velville.

I am hoping that, because of this prominence, there is information available
on the descendants of Maurice/Morys/Morriss Wynn (1529-1580), particularly
through his first wife Janet/Jane Bulkeley.

In any event, thanks for the prompt response. There may yet be an
intersection in the details of the Fitzsenry postings that I have not spotted
immediately.

John

D. Spencer Hines

Dec 7, 2002, 3:24:18 PM12/7/02
Of note:

Ed Wynn, [1886-1966] American comedian and actor ---- born Isaiah Edwin
Leopold. <g>

And his son:

Keenan Wynn [1916-1986], American actor, born Francis Xavier Aloysius
Wynn. <g>

Très drôle.

Deus Vult

nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Disinfectus Optimus Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque
Paenitentia, Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of
in your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166-167

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly. All original
material contained herein is copyright and property of the author. It
may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an attribution
to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly given, in
writing.
------------------

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor.

""Rick Eaton"" <eaton...@cshore.com> wrote in message

Ed Mann

Dec 8, 2002, 10:33:46 AM12/8/02
<edited>

Everything I have:

Dec 8, 2002, 1:54:16 PM12/8/02

<< <edited>

Everything I have:

Dec 8, 2002, 7:25:51 PM12/8/02
DadG...@aol.com wrote:

<snip happens>

>Accordingly, the issue may have narrowed to the family of Sir Owen Wynn, 3rd
>Baronet (1592 - 13 Aug 1660) and Grace Williams (born abt 1611). Hopefully,
>other members of the group may have knowledge of this family (or relevant
>sources) that would indicate whether or not Owen and Grace had a son, John,
>who could be the purported Virginia immigrant.

It's easy to show that Sir Owen and his wife did not have such a son. See
the inheritance of the Baronetcy Sir Owen held -- he was succeeded by his
only son Sir Richard, 4th Baronet, who died in 1674. Sir Richard was
succeeded by a cousin, a nephew of Sir Owen, at whose death in 1719 the
Baronetcy went extinct. If Sir Richard had a brother, this brother would
have succeeded whether he had emigrated or not. See G.E.C., *Complete
Baronetage*, vol. I [Exeter: Pollard, 1900], pp. 64-65, for the history of
the title, and see John Edwards Griffith, *Pedigrees of Anglesey and
Carnarvonshire Families* [reprinted Wrexham: Brudge, 1985], pp. 280-281 for
a genealogy of the Wynns of Gwydir.

William Addams Reitwiesner
wr...@erols.com

PDel...@aol.com

Dec 9, 2002, 12:11:49 AM12/9/02
So where does
Riccardo Guglielmo Casparo Melchior Balthazaro Wynne of Gwydir, Esq fit in?
He was the husband of Agathe Camille de Royer.
Their eldest daughter Elizabeth/Betsy, was born ouside the ambit of
Gen-Medieval, in 1779. she married Captain thomas Fremantle, later First Lord
Cottesloe. My aunt, anne fremantle, Edited Betsy Wynne's journal which was
published in 1937.
regards
Peter de Loriol

John Higgins

Dec 9, 2002, 12:30:58 AM12/9/02
J. E. Griffith, "Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Familes", (1914,
reprinted 1985), p. 280-1, gives a detailed pedigree of the family of Wynn
of Gwydir. For the family of Sir Owen, 3rd Bt., and Grace Williams, it
lists as children Sir Richard, 4th Bt. (as shown in BP 1999 3027) and
another child Sydney who d. at the age of 1 month. No son John is given -
thus no link to the Virginia immigrant. The earlier generations you listed
are as shown by Griffith.

John Higgins
jthi...@surfree.com

"Who begot whom is a most amusing kind of hunting" - Horace Walpole

Glyn Jones

Dec 18, 2002, 6:16:38 AM12/18/02
J.E.Griffith gives only two children of Sir Owen Wynn - Richard and Sydney.
Many have tried this route but found no other son, legitimate or
illegitimate. Professor John Gwynfor Jones is a leading authority on the
Wynns and the Welsh gentry and has found nothing. Since Wynn only means
'white', John Wynn could be unconnected to any Wynn family.

Glyn

Glyn Jones FRPS
www.glynphoto.com
Remember Tryweryn
Join the Royal Photographic Society
Join Creative Monochrome

Jan 5, 2023, 7:13:55 AM1/5/23
Hi All I have seen you looking into Wynn/Winn Ancestry and thought I could help you a bit, neither John Winn of Westmorland nor Betsy Wynn are of the Gwydir Family, as for the former there is no link to Gwydir outside claims of American Genealogical books of dubious origin, Betsy Wynn's ancestry goes back to a Shropshire based Wynn family not linked to the Gwydir Wynns, this being pulled together by shared personages of her own diaries and the Heraldic Visitations whether it was the London or Shropshire escapes me. See here and here:

Wynn Mythtakes and Wynn Winners:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161010142430/http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ttg13/mylespage2.html

Betsy Wynn Ancestry:
https://gw.geneanet.org/fcicogna?lang=en&n=wynne&oc=3&p=richard

Sir Owen and Grace Wynn of Gwydir had only one child to survive infancy known as Sir Richard the 4th Baronet, who in turn had an only daughter Mary by his wife Sarah who succeeded to the Gwydir Estate upon his death in 1674 transferring it to her descendants by her husband Robert Bertie Earl of Lindsey. However, I am researching the Wynn's of Gwydir myself due to an old familial rumour that goes as far back as my 5th Great Grandfather Thomas Wynn a shoe maker of Stafford, that we are related to them. I have researched the lines of the Gwydir Baronets, the Wynn of Gwydir cadet branches at Branas and Garthgynan; Maesmochnant and Shrewsbury; Ystrad, Nantymerchied and Llwyn, Plas Mawr, Berth Ddu and Bodysgallen, Cae Milwr, Gesail Gyfarch etc., none of these have surviving male line issue legitimately. I say legitimately as I have recently come across some Letters in the Gwydir Papers indicating Sir Richard the 4th Baronet likely had two illegitimate sons named John Wynn. The First seems to have been born c.1658 and died 1667, whilst the younger was born in 1667 and has no apparent death date. The Burial date of the first John Wynn and the Baptism of the 2nd John Wynn were both found in the Llanrwst Parish Registers ascribed as sons of Sir Richard Wynn Soldier and Baronet of Gwydir, the elder Sir Richard Wynn e.g. the 2nd Baronet died in 1649 so it can only refer to the 4th Baronet. Originally I thought it could have been a mistake of the First entry being given the wrong date of 1667 instead of 1668 as sometimes entries were entered wherever but when I found the letters their brief descriptions contained little excerpts. From Lord Edward Herbert Baron Cherbury to his brother-in-law Sir Richard Wynn of Gwydir "Congratulating him on hopes of an heir" in one letter and "discussion of heirs" in the 2nd both dated to an uncertain date of 1657/1658 mostly attributed to 1658, Lady Mary Wynn Sir Richard's only child by his wife Sarah Wynn wasn't baptised till 1661 almost three years after this and her birth year is always ascribed as such by historians. Thus as there are no condolences on the loss of an heir in miscarriage we can assume this is quite likely to be the first John Wynn. It is likely that if Sir Richard wasn't able to have a legitimate Mary he would have made his natural son John Wynn his heir. but that John Wynn died in 1667 as such he was outlived by his half-sister Mary. the next letter was of Lady Sarah Wynn concerning rumours that she had given birth to a son dated to the 24th Oct 1667 in which the rumours were denied that she and Sir Richard had a son together. the 2nd John Wynn was baptised on the 20th Oct 1667 four days prior, furthermore a letter from the child's namesake John Wynn of Melai congratulating Sir Richard on the birth of his son dated to the 29th Oct 1667. This was missed by Professor John Gwynfor Jones who was the authority on the Wynn Family of Gwydir. As such we can confirm Sir Richard had a son John Wynn in 1667 not by his wife, and whose death date is unknown and possibly lived and had a family afterwards but that he was not the John Winn of Westmorland and likely never left Wales or Britain.

The familial rumour has credence to it as a couple of my male line ancestors and even my grandad have been compared with the likes of Sir John Wynn 1st Baronet of Gwydir's etching and portrait and look similar to him, I have seen even more likeness with the etching of Sir Owen Wynn as myself, grandad, 3rd Great Grandad and a late cousin so many times removed in the male line George Frederick Wynne of Plas Gwyn, Minera all have the large face, eye shape whilst my Dad, Grandad, 3rd Great Grandad and George Frederick Wynne all have the Roman like nose, I got my potato nose as I call it from my Mum's grandad. Even the former owners of Gwydir prior to Judy Corbett and her husband were spooked by the similarity when my Grandad stood next to the portrait of Sir John.

So hope this helps with tracking down your Wynn ancestors. I'm still hunting mine.

Regards,

Callum.