OT: Edward III Descent for Elizabeth Powell, 2nd wife of 2nd Baron Glenconner

hoove...@yahoo.com

Mar 16, 2013, 8:39:38 PM3/16/13
Elizabeth Powell, wife of Christopher Grey Tennant, 2nd Baron Glenconner, 3rd Bt., is identified as # I00111699 in Leo's outstanding Genealogics website.

According to the 1980 edition of Debretts Peerage and Baronetage [P504], Elizabeth was the daughter of Lt Col Evelyn George Harcourt Powell. He and his wife, Phyllis Olive Barbara Pryor, appear on page 414 of the Mortimer-Percy volume of Ruvigny's _Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal_ series.

While the Glenconner barony was inherited by a son of the 2nd Baron by his first wife, this connection provides a "new" Genealogics descent from EDWARD III for Arthur Morris Palmer (b. 1981), only son Sir Charles Mark Palmer, 5th Bt., of Grinkle Park, co. York and of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (cr 1886) as follows,
(While it may "clutter up" the presentation, after thinking it over I've decided to include what many of us refer to as _Sources_)

Armine L’Estrange, of Hunstanton, Norfolk, d. May 29, 1768,
m. Nicholas Styleman, of Snettisham, Norfolk, d. Jan. 6, 1746, Le Strange of Hunstanton, BLG 18th ed, vol 3, (1972), Ruvigny, Mortimer-Percy, Table XIII ... Come to think of it, for any newcomers to genealogy who may read this now or in the future, just to clarify, BLG stands for "Burkes Landed Gentry"]
/
Rev Armine Styleman, Rector of Ringstead, Norfolk, d. April 3, 1803
m. Anne Blakeway, [Mortimer-Percy, 411]
/
Anne Styleman, b. Dec. 20, 1760, Ringstead, d. Oct. 20, 1823
m. (1) March 16, 1789, as his second wife, Tomkyns Dew, of Lincoln’s Inn Fields,
of Portland Place, London and of Whitney Court, Herefs, Lord of the Manors of Clifford & Whitney, (b. 1720, d. Nov. 6, 1799, bd. Marylebone), [Mortimer-Percy, 412-13]
/
Tomkyns Dew, of Whitney Court, b. July 9, 1791, London, d. Feb. 1, 1853,
m. Margaret Beatrice Napleton, b. 1794/5, Ashford, Salop, (age 56 in the 1851 census of Whitney, Herefs), d. July 11, 1877, at Whitney Court, Herefs,[Mortimer-Percy, 413] "Salop" is the abbreviation, believe it or not, for Shropshire, "Herefs" for Herefordshire
/
Elizabeth Sophia Dew, b. Jan. 17, 1815, Butleigh, Devon, d. Oct. 8, 1898,
m. Aug. 23, 1841, Arthur Pryor, of Highlands, near Chelmsford, co. Essex,
b. Jan. 7, 1816, Baldock, Herts, d. Sept. 25, 1904, [Mortimer-Percy, 414,
Pryor of Weston, BLG 18th ed, vol 1 (1972)]
/
Robert Pryor, of 5 Balfour Place, Park Lene, Midx, b. March 17, 1852, Roehampton, Surrey, d. July 4, 1905, m. Jan. 8, 1884
Matilda Eyre, b. 1856, Leamington, Warwicks, [Mortimer-Percy, 414]
/
Phyllis Olive Barbara Pryor, birth registered Jan – March 1887, St. George, Hanover Square, d. March 21, 1953, m. Sept. 25, 1909
Capt Evelyn George Harcourt Powell, of 31 Hillgate Place, London, Gren Gds,
b. 1883, d. July 15, 1961, St. Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, [Mortimer-Percy, 414]
/
Elizabeth Powell
Christopher Grey Tennant, 2nd B/Glenconner, 3rd Bt.

Locations of death: England & Wales National Probate Calendar, (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 on ancestry.com

Capt Evelyn George Harcourt Powell didn't die in the same hospital as any of Jane Fonda's children or Anderson Hays Cooper were born in but maybe someone can think of someone interesting who was born there.

Cordially,
Marc

Wjhonson

Mar 16, 2013, 11:10:15 PM3/16/13
to hoove...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
I notice however that you did not specify when Armine Styleman (of Ringstead, Norf.) was born
He was baptised at Snettisham on 25 may 1726
He and Anne Blakeway have pre-nuptial articles of agreement dated 7 Jul 1753
the message

Wjhonson

Mar 16, 2013, 11:15:07 PM3/16/13
to hoove...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com

Famous people born at St Mary's include:

Elvis Costello (b.1954) British musician.
Kiefer Sutherland (b.1966) Canadian actor.
The Duke of Cambridge (b.1982) 2nd in Line of Succession to the British throne
Prince Harry of Wales (b.1984) 3rd in Line of Succession to the British throne
Peter Phillips (b.1977) Son of the Princess Royal and 11th in Line of Succession to the British throne.
Zara Phillips (b.1981) Daughter of the Princess Royal, equestrienne and 13th in line of succession.
Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (b.1974) Son of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and 21st in line of succession.
Lady Davina Lewis (b.1977) Daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and 22rd in line of succession.
Lady Rose Gilman (b.1980) Daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and 23rd in line of succession.
Lord Frederick Windsor (b.1979) Son of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and 32nd in line of succession.
Lady Gabriella Windsor (b.1981) Daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and 33rd in line of succession.

Mar 16, 2013, 11:30:43 PM3/16/13
to hoove...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
How interesting. I had recorded "Stella Tennant" in my database, in this family, specifically she is the niece of Catherine "Wanda Starr", ex-Vogue astrologer; and she is also the neice of the author Emma Tennant.

Stella's father, is their brother Tobias Tennant.

I had not realized under today this she is THIS Stella Tennant
the face of Chanel (ex-face anyway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Tennant

https://www.google.com/search?q=stella+tennant&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=BKQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HDhFUf_jCvKgyAHB_4G4BQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=444

Wjhonson

Mar 16, 2013, 11:32:40 PM3/16/13
to wjho...@aol.com, hoove...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
By the way, since Marc wasn't interesting bizarre connections....
Emma Tennant claimed that she was dating or at least sleeping with Bede Elwes, at that time not yet the father of the future actor Cary Elwes.

At any rate, Emma and Bede got preggers, but then Bede ran off and married someone else, and Emma got an abortion. Ta dah!

Happy Saturday

John Higgins

Mar 17, 2013, 1:22:06 AM3/17/13
I currently count 27 Edward III descents for Elizabeth Powell, wife of
the 2nd Baron Glenconner - all of them via Armine L'Estrange (d.
1768).

It's a bit surprising to me that this line from Armine L'Estrange
continues for over 200 years to Elizabeth Powell without picking up
(via marriages) any further royal descents beyond those associated
with Armine L'Estrange. Perhaps more research would prove fruitful
here....

hoove...@yahoo.com

Mar 17, 2013, 6:57:02 AM3/17/13
to hoove...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
I notice however that you did not specify when Armine Styleman (of Ringstead, Norf.) was born.

Norf?

Wjhonson

Mar 17, 2013, 4:06:05 PM3/17/13
to jhigg...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
I have just found another E3 descending line to Elizabeth Powell which does *not* go through Armine
I think there are more in the line I'm working on, but the way in which the people are referred is a bit obscure still to me. I'll post more, when I have more.

Wjhonson

Mar 17, 2013, 5:08:18 PM3/17/13
to wjho...@aol.com, jhigg...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Here I've posted the new E3 line I've found, not going through Armine, which still needs some work to firm it up but it comes from various editions of Burkes

https://sites.google.com/site/ceciltree/ancestry-of-matthew-henry-yorke

I have just found another E3 descending line to Elizabeth Powell which does *not* go through Armine
I think there are more in the line I'm working on, but the way in which the people are referred is a bit obscure still to me. I'll post more, when I have more.

> Here I've posted the new E3 line I've found, not going through Armine, which still needs some work to firm it up but it comes from various editions of Burkes
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/ceciltree/ancestry-of-matthew-henry-yorke

My comment that "perhaps more research would prove fruitful here" has
turned out to be quite accurate.

Will's link above provides the basis for a connection to Edward III
via the family of Huddleston of Sawston - although Will doesn't
actually carry the connection back to Edward III. The Huddleston
daughter who was the wife of Vincent Anthony Eyre appears to have at
least 10 Edward III descents. But the ancestry of her husband Vincent
Anthony Eyre is far richer in such descents - at least 77 so far by my
count.

And here's a bonus for Will. To his collection of authors who are
royally descended, he can add William Congreve (1670-1729), the
English playwright who is most famous for the line (usually
paraphrased) "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Here's a hint,
Will: the most recent royal descent appears to be from Henry II,
although perhaps you can find a better one.

Wjhonson

Mar 19, 2013, 12:42:03 AM3/19/13
to jhigg...@yahoo.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
It annoys me that the secondary sources can't seem to agree on what this poor Huddleston woman's NAME was. Perhaps I should trawl the census and see if I can shake her out.

OK got it. Starting from Matilda Eyre, I traced her back to find that her mother was "Jane" Eyre "aged 33" in the 1851 census. Then going forward I found her probate as "Jane Frances Eyre" wife of Vincent. She died 19 Apr 1881 at Langham Hotel, Portland Place, co Mdx. He died 22 Mar 1887 at Lindley Hall, co Leic

I happened to notice that one of their children was living with his grandparents, Vincent and Mary I'll have to check that again, but it would give us an age for Mary.

It annoys me that the secondary sources can't seem to agree on what this poor
Huddleston woman's NAME was. Perhaps I should trawl the census and see if I can
shake her out.

Mar 19, 2013, 1:36:47 AM3/19/13
According to secondary sources the grandmother Mary was married in
1808 and died 19 Dec 1854. Lots of interesting ancestry behind
her....

Tony H

Nov 11, 2014, 10:38:09 AM11/11/14
re V A Eyre - 85 descents

Does anyone have a list of these ?

Many thanks

wjhonson

Jun 3, 2018, 1:02:11 AM6/3/18
I was working on this old line again today and happened to notice that there is actually an E4 ascent here

Nathaniel /Eyre/ of Dronfield Woodhouse; of Glossop, co Derby; , esq
third son (so born between 1708 and 1714)
married Jane /Bromhead/

his parents were
Vincent /Eyre/ of Dronfield Woodhouse , Gent, esq
and Anne /Bostock/

this last Vincent's mother was
Isabella /Caterick/
Co-heiress of her father John /Caterick/ of Carlton in Richmond, co York; esq

John's mother was Isabel /Grey/
daughter of Ralph /Grey/ of Chillingham, co Northumberland; MP; Ho and Jane /Arthington/

This Ralph Grey is the one d 1623, and ascends in four more steps to Edward IV

Brad Verity

Jun 5, 2018, 7:58:35 PM6/5/18
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:02:11 PM UTC-7, wjhonson wrote:
> I was working on this old line again today and happened to notice that there is actually an E4 ascent here
> John's mother was Isabel /Grey/
> daughter of Ralph /Grey/ of Chillingham, co Northumberland; MP; Ho and Jane /Arthington/
>
> This Ralph Grey is the one d 1623, and ascends in four more steps to Edward IV

Will,

What is your line from Edward IV to Sir Ralph Gray of Chillingham Castle (c.1552-1623)?

I have his four grandparents as:

1) Sir Edward Gray of Chillingham Castle (c.1464-1531) m.
2) Anne Gower of Stainsby
3) Sir Thomas Grey of Horton (c.1505-1570) m.
4) Dorothy Ogle (c.1498-bef.1570)

All but Anne Gower descend from Edward I (with Sir Thomas Grey and his wife Dorothy Ogle descendants of Edward III), but I don't see Edward IV as an ancestor of any of them.

Cheers, ----Brad

John Higgins

Jun 5, 2018, 8:14:23 PM6/5/18
I agree with Brad. I'm not aware of an Edward IV line for Sir Ralph Grey of Chillingham (d. 1623). Sir Ralph Grey is ancestral to Princes William and Henry
and his ancestry is well covered in Genenalogics - but not showing any link To Edward IV.
http://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00268896&tree=LEO&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=7
Message has been deleted

Leslie Mahler

Jan 8, 2021, 2:38:42 AM1/8/21
Elizabeth's father, Evelyn George Harcourt Powell, has several descents
from Edward I, as well as some descents from Edward III.
They will appear here in the next couple of days:

https://genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00111699&tree=LEO

Leslie