OT Edward III Descent for Cecilia Riggs, Lady Howard (1844-1907)

Brad Verity

Mar 6, 2015, 7:14:43 PM3/6/15
After the death of his first wife, diplomat Sir Henry Francis Howard married 2ndly, 30 August 1841 at Berlin, a lady of the Brandenburg-Prussian nobility, Maria Ernestine von Schulenberg. Sir Henry Francis Howard's entry in Who Was Who says Maria Ernestine had the title of Baroness, but neither the BP article, nor Leo's website, give her that title. Her father Leopold Wilhelm von der Schulenburg was an officer in the Prussian Army and made his seat at Gut Priemern, in Bretsch, Germany, and it was in that house that Maria Ernestine was born:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Wilhelm_von_der_Schulenburg#mediaviewer/File:Gut_Priemern_Sammlung_Duncker.jpg

Leo has all 4 of Maria Ernestine's grandparents in his database, and as none of the four families appear to have any Edward I lines behind them, I haven't traced Maria Ernestine's ancestry back any further.
http://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00116304&tree=LEO

Sir Henry Howard of the Strand (1843-1921), the elder son of Sir Henry Francis Howard and Maria Ernestine von der Schulenburg, followed his father into the Diplomatic Service, his first posting being to Washington, DC, where he served from 1865 to 1874. It was there that he met his wife, Cecilia Dowdall Riggs (born 20 June 1844 at Washington, DC; died 3 December 1907 at The Hague, Netherlands).

Cecilia's father was the acclaimed banker George Washington Riggs (born 4 July 1813 at Georgetown, DC; died 24 August 1881 at Green Hill, Montgomery County, Maryland), who has a bio in American National Biography (1999). He married 23 June 1840 at Madison, New Jersey, Janet Madeleine Cecilia Shedden (born 20 August 1815 at Newark, New Jersey; died 14 October 1871 at Westminster, London), the daughter of a Scottish merchant who emigrated from Glasgow to Newark.
http://exhibits.library.gwu.edu/pnc_riggs/corcoran_riggs_gw.html

Through her mother, Cecilia Riggs, Lady Howard has a single 18-generation line of descent from Edward III, through Cardinal Beaufort's bastard daughter Jane Stradling. Leo already has it in his database.

Edward III had a son
1) John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster (1340-1399) m. 3) Katherine Roet (c.1350-1403), and had
2) Cardinal Henry Beaufort (1375-1447) = unknown mistress, and had
3) Jane Beaufort, illegit. (c.1402-1479) m. Sir Edward Stradling of St Donats Castle (c.1389-1453), and had
4) Sir Henry Stradling of St Donats Castle (c.1423-1476) m. Elizabeth ap Thomas, and had
5) Thomas Stradling of St Donats Castle (c.1454-1480) m. Jennet Matthew (d. 1485), and had
6) Siân Stradling (b. c.1480) m. Sir William Griffith of Penrhyn (c.1480-1531, descended from Edward I), and had
7) Sir Edward Griffith of Port Penrhyn (1511-1540) m. Jane Puleston, and had
8) Ellen Griffith (d. 1573) m. Sir Nicholas Bagnall of Newry Castle (c.1510-1591), and had
9) Frances Bagnall m. Oliver Plunkett, 4th Baron Louth (d. 1607, descended from Edward I), and had
10) Matthew Plunkett, 5th Baron Louth (d. 1629) m. Mary Fitzwilliam (d. by 1661, descended from Edward I), and had
11) Hon. Margaret Plunkett (d. 1683) m. Sir Christopher Aylmer, 1st Baronet of Balrath (c.1620-1671, descended from Edward I)*, and had
12) Catherine Aylmer (d. 1726) m. 2) Capt. Michael Warren of Warrenstown House (d. 1712), and had
13) Anne Warren (1692-1744) m. Christopher Johnson of Smithstown House (1687-1764), and had
14) John Johnson of Warrenstown House (d. by 1808) m. Catherine Nangle, and had
15) Anne Johnson m. Walter Dowdall of Dublin (d. aft. 1800)**, and had
16) Matilda Cecilia Dowdall (1781-1855) m. Thomas William Shedden of Newark (1781-1816), and had
17) Jane Madeleine Cecilia Shedden (1815-1871) m. George Washington Riggs of Green Hill (1813-1881), and had
18) Cecilia Dowdall Riggs (1844-1907) m. Sir Henry Howard

*Gary Boyd Roberts in RD600, pp. 273-275, shows the descent of Sir Christopher Aylmer, 1st Baronet, from Edward I thru the Aylmers. This Edward III descent of his wife Margaret Plunkett is an addition to RD600.

**Very little can be found online about this Walter Dowdall. The only source given for Dowdall in RD600 is 'The Families of Warren and Johnson of Warrenstown, County Meath' (1950) by Franz V. Recum (a descendant of Sir Henry Howard & Cecilia Riggs). I haven't yet seen this source. Walter Dowdall appears to have lived in both Dublin and Warrenstown House, his wife's family home. He had at least three children: 1) Katherine Dowdall m. Thomas Errington of Clints Hall, Richmond, Yorkshire (parents of Archbishop George Errington); 2) Capt. George Robert Dowdall of Stratford, Connecticut (1782-1829), who had a daughter named Ann Johnson Dowdall; and 3) (Matilda) Cecilia Dowdall, maternal grandmother of Cecilia Riggs, Lady Howard. At some point in the 1790s, after his wife had died, Walter Dowdall left Ireland and went to America. He's most likely the Walter Dowdall living in New York in the 1800 census with 1 young adult male & 1 young adult female (his son George & daughter Cecilia, presumably). Cecilia Dowdall married Thomas Shedden in 1806 in Newark, New Jersey, but whether her father Walter was still alive and had moved there from New York, is not known.

If anyone has any further information on Walter Dowdall, I'd be very interested.

Cheers, ----Brad

Derek Howard

Mar 7, 2015, 4:36:45 AM3/7/15
On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 1:14:43 AM UTC+1, Brad Verity wrote:
<snip>
> 14) John Johnson of Warrenstown House (d. by 1808) m. Catherine Nangle, and had
> 15) Anne Johnson m. Walter Dowdall of Dublin (d. aft. 1800)**, and had
> 16) Matilda Cecilia Dowdall (1781-1855) m. Thomas William Shedden of Newark (1781-1816), and had
<snip>
> **Very little can be found online about this Walter Dowdall. The only source given for Dowdall in RD600 is 'The Families of Warren and Johnson of Warrenstown, County Meath' (1950) by Franz V. Recum (a descendant of Sir Henry Howard & Cecilia Riggs). I haven't yet seen this source. Walter Dowdall appears to have lived in both Dublin and Warrenstown House, his wife's family home. He had at least three children: 1) Katherine Dowdall m. Thomas Errington of Clints Hall, Richmond, Yorkshire (parents of Archbishop George Errington); 2) Capt. George Robert Dowdall of Stratford, Connecticut (1782-1829), who had a daughter named Ann Johnson Dowdall; and 3) (Matilda) Cecilia Dowdall, maternal grandmother of Cecilia Riggs, Lady Howard. At some point in the 1790s, after his wife had died, Walter Dowdall left Ireland and went to America. He's most likely the Walter Dowdall living in New York in the 1800 census with 1 young adult male & 1 young adult female (his son George & daughter Cecilia, presumably). Cecilia Dowdall married Thomas Shedden in 1806 in Newark, New Jersey, but whether her father Walter was still alive and had moved there from New York, is not known.
>
> If anyone has any further information on Walter Dowdall, I'd be very interested.

One imagines that he must in some way be connected to the Dowdall family of Meath outlined in the Ulster Office, Registered Pedigrees, vol 15, pp 356-361
<http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000530338#page/183/mode/1up>
Perhaps one of the other UO volumes contains further information?

Derek Howard

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Mar 8, 2015, 7:31:27 PM3/8/15
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 4:14:43 PM UTC-8, Brad Verity wrote:
> After the death of his first wife, diplomat Sir Henry Francis Howard married 2ndly, 30 August 1841 at Berlin, a lady of the Brandenburg-Prussian nobility, Maria Ernestine von Schulenberg. Sir Henry Francis Howard's entry in Who Was Who says Maria Ernestine had the title of Baroness, but neither the BP article, nor Leo's website, give her that title. Her father Leopold Wilhelm von der Schulenburg was an officer in the Prussian Army and made his seat at Gut Priemern, in Bretsch, Germany, and it was in that house that Maria Ernestine was born:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Wilhelm_von_der_Schulenburg#mediaviewer/File:Gut_Priemern_Sammlung_Duncker.jpg
>
> Leo has all 4 of Maria Ernestine's grandparents in his database, and as none of the four families appear to have any Edward I lines behind them, I haven't traced Maria Ernestine's ancestry back any further.
> http://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00116304&tree=LEO
>
> Sir Henry Howard of the Strand (1843-1921), the elder son of Sir Henry Francis Howard and Maria Ernestine von der Schulenburg, followed his father into the Diplomatic Service, his first posting being to Washington, DC, where he served from 1865 to 1874. It was there that he met his wife, Cecilia Dowdall Riggs (born 20 June 1844 at Washington, DC; died 3 December 1907 at The Hague, Netherlands).
>

> Cheers, ----Brad

An interesting side note on this descent:

The eldest son of Sir Henry Howard and Cecilia Riggs was George Howard (1869-1919) who married Mary Allen Clagett (1872-1946). This last surname will be familiar to longtime participants in this group, as Mary Allen Clagett was a great-aunt of the late Brice McAdoo Clagett, a valued contributor here before his death in 2008.

Steve Riggan via

Mar 8, 2015, 8:55:51 PM3/8/15
to jhigginsgen, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Yes that is interesting. On another side note, Brice McAdoo Clagett's maternal grandfather William Gibbs McAdoo served in Woodrow Wilson's cabinet and was married secondly to one of his daughters whose name I have forgotten. McAdoo was a second cousin of my great-great grandmother Mrs Huldah Grills Spence Pitts. I corresponded with the Clagetts several times in years past. Brice was a very knowledgeable person when it came to our family history and I miss his contributions.

Steve Riggan

Sent from my iPhone

Brad Verity

Mar 16, 2015, 2:17:24 PM3/16/15
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 4:14:43 PM UTC-8, Brad Verity wrote:
> 10) Matthew Plunkett, 5th Baron Louth (d. 1629) m. Mary Fitzwilliam (d. by 1661, descended from Edward I), and had
> 11) Hon. Margaret Plunkett (d. 1683) m. Sir Christopher Aylmer, 1st Baronet of Balrath (c.1620-1671, descended from Edward I)*, and had

John Higgins asked me off list about the line of descent from Edward I for Mary Fitzwilliam, Lady Louth (see Generation #10 above).

Lodge's Peerage of Ireland vol. 4, p. 315 (sub Viscount Fitz-William), states that the wife of Sir Richard Fitzwilliam of Merrion Castle was "Jane, daughter of ---- Prefton":
https://archive.org/stream/peerageofireland04lodg#page/314/mode/2up

I can't find an article on the Viscounts Gormanston in Lodge's Peerage. The 1902 book 'A History of the County of Dublin' by Francis Elrington Ball, states (p. 10, **emphasis mine), "During his time the Fitzwilliam family became closely allied with the Prestons, ennobled under the title of Gormanston; Sir Thomas Fitzwilliam being connected with Christopher, fourth Viscount Gormanston, in the most extraordinary manner. First his cousin, a daughter of Sir William Fitzwilliam, of Windsor, married Lord Gormanston, and his brother, Michael Fitzwilliam, of Donore, in the County Meath, Surveyor-General of the Crown lands, married Lord Gormanston's sister, **then his eldest son married a daughter of Lord Gormanston**, and finally his daughter, who had been previously married to a son of Sir John Plunkett, married Lord Gormanston as his second wife":
https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyd02ball#page/10/mode/2up

Since an uncle cannot marry his niece, Sir Richard Fitzwilliam's wife **Jane** Preston had to be the daughter of the 4th Viscount Gormanston by his 1st wife Catherine Fitzwilliam, daughter of Sir William Fitzwilliam of Windsor (by1506-1559) & **Jane** Roberts, despite BP's assertion that the 1st wife died without issue.

Here then is the Edward I descent as I have it.

1) Princess Elizabeth Plantagenet (1282-1316) m. 2) Humphrey de Bohun, 4th Earl of Hereford (1276-1322), and had
2) Lady Eleanor de Bohun (c.1310-1363) m. 1) James Butler, 1st Earl of Ormond (1305-1338), and had
3) James Butler, 2nd Earl of Ormond (1331-1382) m. Elizabeth Darcy (1332-1390), and had
4) Lady Eleanor Butler (c.1350-1392) m. Gerald Fitzgerald, 3rd Earl of Desmond (c.1338-1398), and had
5) James Fitzgerald, 6th Earl of Desmond (c.1385-by1463) m. Mary de Burgh (d. 1435), and had
6) Lady Joan Fitzgerald (c.1435-1486) m. Thomas Fitzgerald, 7th Earl of Kildare (c.1430-1478), and had
7) Gerald Fitzgerald, 8th Earl of Kildare (c.1456-1513) m. 1) Alison FitzEustace (c.1459-1495), and had
8) Gerald Fitzgerald, 9th Earl of Kildare (1487-1534) m. 1) Elizabeth St John (d. 1517), and had
9) Lady Katherine Fitzgerald (b. c.1506) m. Jenico Preston, 3rd Viscount Gormanston (c.1502-1560), and had
10) Christopher Preston, 4th Viscount Gormanston (c.1537-1600) m. 1) Catherine Fitzwilliam, and had
11) Jane Preston (c.1560-1597) m. Sir Richard Fitzwilliam of Merrion Castle (d. 1595), and had
12) Mary Fitzwilliam (d. by 1661) m. 1) Matthew Plunkett, 5th Baron Louth (d. 1629, descended from Edward III)

> **Very little can be found online about this Walter Dowdall. The only source given for Dowdall in RD600 is 'The Families of Warren and Johnson of Warrenstown, County Meath' (1950) by Franz V. Recum (a descendant of Sir Henry Howard & Cecilia Riggs). I haven't yet seen this source. Walter Dowdall appears to have lived in both Dublin and Warrenstown House, his wife's family home.
[snip]
> If anyone has any further information on Walter Dowdall, I'd be very interested.

Many thanks to John Higgins for sending me a copy of Franz Recum's 1950 pamphlet 'The Families of Warren and Johnson of Warrenstown, County Meath'. As John points out, Recum identifies Anne Johnson's husband "Walter Dowdall as 'of Castlerickard, Co. Meath', son of Walter Dowdall of Clone, Co. Meath and Margaret O'Reilly. This agrees with information shown in the 1914 BP (sub Errington, Bt.) for Walter Dowdall's son-in-law Thomas Errington of the Clints. The BP article also says that Margaret O'Reilly was the daughter of Myles O'Reilly of Garryrocock".

John further points out that Recum "also identifies Ann Johnson's mother Catherine Nangle as a daughter of Thomas Nangle of Dublin. There is a possibility, based on an article on the family of Nangle of Garisker in the 1882 edition of BLG, that this Thomas was descended from Richard Nangle of Coole, Co. Westmeath, who fought as a royalist in the civil war. But the descent is a bit sketchy and thus speculative at this point, and it doesn't go back beyond the civil war".

Thanks again, John, and Cheers, -----Brad

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Mar 16, 2015, 6:32:46 PM3/16/15
On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:17:24 AM UTC-7, Brad Verity wrote:
> [...]
> 5) James Fitzgerald, 6th Earl of Desmond (c.1385-by1463) m. Mary de Burgh (d. 1435), and had
> 6) Lady Joan Fitzgerald (c.1435-1486) m. Thomas Fitzgerald, 7th Earl of Kildare (c.1430-1478), and had
> 7) Gerald Fitzgerald, 8th Earl of Kildare (c.1456-1513) m. 1) Alison FitzEustace (c.1459-1495), and had
> 8) Gerald Fitzgerald, 9th Earl of Kildare (1487-1534) m. 1) Elizabeth St John (d. 1517), and had
> 9) Lady Katherine Fitzgerald (b. c.1506) m. Jenico Preston, 3rd Viscount Gormanston (c.1502-1560), and had
> 10) Christopher Preston, 4th Viscount Gormanston (c.1537-1600) m. 1) Catherine Fitzwilliam, and had
> 11) Jane Preston (c.1560-1597) m. Sir Richard Fitzwilliam of Merrion Castle (d. 1595), and had
> 12) Mary Fitzwilliam (d. by 1661) m. 1) Matthew Plunkett, 5th Baron Louth (d. 1629, descended from Edward III)

Brad's post above identifies Jane Preston (gen. 11), whose parents were previously unidentified, as the daughter of the 4th Viscount Gormanston by his 1st wife Catherine Fitzwilliam, daughter of Sir William Fitzwilliam of Windsor and Jane Roberts. As Brad notes, this gives Jane Preston an Edward I descent via her father the 4th Viscount Gormanston. There is also an Edward I descent through Jane Preston's mother Catherine Fitzwilliam.

Catherine Fitzwilliam's mother was Jane Roberts (see "Topographer and Genealogist", vol. 3, p. 406). Jane was the daughter of John Roberts of Glasenbury, Kent, and his wife Mary Sackville. Mary was the daughter of Richard Sackville and Isabel Digges, both of whom appear in Leo's Genealogics database. A descent from Edward I can be traced in the database via Richard Sackville's mother Katherine Browne.

Brad's identification of Jane Preston's parentage corrects three separate CP articles: Fitzwilliam in vol. 5 and Louth in vol. 8 (both of which do not identify Jane Preston's father [or mother]), and Gormanston in vol. 6 (which says that the first wife of the 4th Viscount Gormanston died without issue.

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Mar 16, 2015, 7:02:10 PM3/16/15
The Jane Roberts descent from Edward I discussed above also constitutes corrections to the Richardson books Plantagenet Ancestry and Magna Carta Ancestry. Besides Catherine Fitzwilliam, one of Jane Roberts' other daughters was Mabel Fitzwilliam, wife of Sir Thomas Browne of Betchworth, and ancestral to the Virginia immigrant Col. Matthew Kempe - who now gains new Plantagenet and Manga Carta descents.