Offering Lookups at NYC Municipal Archives/NY Public Library

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

May 16, 2016, 2:16:58 AM5/16/16
I am going to try and do lookups this week and I will be available to get
copies of certificates at the NYC Municipal Archives as well as likely to be
at the NY Public Library. I am likely to do this on Tuesday or Thursday ...
but my schedule is a little fluid due to some other personal time pressures.

If anyone needs something specific please contact me and we can discuss if I
can help you.

Anyone who has availed my services in the past knows I have a sort of set
routine. On these trips I am basically working as your eyes and legs for
people who can not get to the Archives or Library themselves. Generally what
I do is transcribe certificates where you have already found the numbers
from the online indexes or sometimes check for missing records with the tools
at the Archives. At the Library I can access the newspapers, city directories,
NY Census and various databases plus sometimes retrieve books and make copies.

I ask everyone to cover the costs including the printing of certificates (if
you want them) which is $11 each plus a little for me to help offset my travel
costs. Same for copy costs at the NY Public Library.

What I do is take the details you have and in the case of the Archives I
actually look at each certificate on the microfilm before placing the copy
order to make sure it is what you said it was. Sometimes I have to clean up
errors in transcription of numbers, research from your info to find the correct
certificate number. etc.

I pay for the certificates and then trust you to reimburse me. I can either
scan and email or mail certificates. I type notes and email.

Please understand that generic searches when you only have vague details (like
Moshie married Sally but that's all I know) or are trying to breakdown a
brickwall that you have been working at for years requires an investment of
time beyond a quick retrieval and I can not include in this offer.

I am always happy to discuss any and all research questions involving NYC area
look ups.

Allan Jordan
Have you marked your calendar? Plan to be with us in Seattle for the
36th IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy 7-12 August 2016.

Registration opens 3 January 2016, early registration runs until April 30.
www.iajgs2016.org
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

May 24, 2016, 10:30:33 PM5/24/16
I am going to try and do lookups next Tuesday and I will be available
to get copies of certificates at the NYC Municipal Archives as well as
likely to be at the NY Public Library.

If anyone needs something specific please contact me and we can discuss
if I can help you.

Anyone who has availed my services in the past knows I have a sort of
set routine. On these trips I am basically working as your eyes and
legs for people who can not get to the Archives or Library themselves.

Generally what I do is transcribe certificates where you have already
found the numbers from the online indexes or sometimes check for
missing records with the tools at the Archives. Yes I can retrieve
the City Clerk marriage licenses the ones where the indexes just went
on line. As a reminder I can only access births through 1909,
marriages through 1937, City Clerk licenses through 1929 (after that
requires going to the marriage bureau); and deaths through 1948.
Also I can do natrualizations at the NY Supreme Court which is in the
same building and probates for Manhattan.

[...]

Registration is now open.

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

Aug 2, 2016, 10:53:36 PM8/2/16
I have been away from the look up for a long time while I relocated
and now that I am barely settled in am going to try and do lookups again.

I will be available in Manhattan next Tuesday to get copies of
certificates at the NYC Municipal Archives as well as likely to be
at the NY Public Library.

If anyone needs something specific please contact me and we can
discuss if I can help you.

Anyone who has availed my services in the past knows I have a sort
of set routine. On these trips I am basically working as your eyes
and legs for people who can not get to the Archives or Library
themselves.

Generally what I do is transcribe certificates where you have
already found the numbers from the online indexes or sometimes check
for missing records with the tools at the Archives. Yes I can
retrieve the City Clerk marriage licenses -- ie. the ones where the
indexes went on line earlier this year. As a reminder I can only
access births through 1909, marriages through 1937, City Clerk
licenses through 1929 (after that requires going to the marriage
bureau); and deaths through 1948. Also I can do naturalizations at
the NY Supreme Court which is in the same building and probates for
Manhattan. For someone who made a request I might also try NARA
this time for naturalizations.

At the Library I can access the newspapers, city directories, NY
Census and various databases plus sometimes retrieve books and make copies.

I ask everyone to cover the costs including the printing of
certificates (if you want them) which is $11 each plus a little for me
to help offset my travel costs (budgets are tight right now as I just
incurred a big move expense so I can give time but you need to cover
costs for me.) Same for copy costs at the NY Public Library.

[...]

MODERATOR: Please contact Allan privately.
conference sessions this year in Seattle, write to
regist...@IAJGS2016.org and include a day or evening phone number.

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

Sep 19, 2016, 10:33:04 PM9/19/16
Sorry this is sort of last minute because I had a change in plans but
it appears I will be going to the NYC Municipal Archives and NY Public
Library this Thursday (September 22nd) if anyone needs assistance.

Anyone who has availed my services in the past knows I have a sort of
set routine. On these trips I am basically working as your eyes and legs
for people who can not get to the Archives or Library themselves.

Generally what I do is transcribe certificates where you have already
found the numbers from the online indexes or sometimes check for missing
records with the tools at the Archives. Yes I can retrieve the City
Clerk marriage licenses -- ie. the ones where the indexes went on line
earlier this year. As a reminder I can only access births through 1909,
marriages through 1937, City Clerk licenses through 1929 (after that
requires going to the marriage bureau); and deaths through 1948. Also I
can do naturalizations at the NY Supreme Court which is in the same
[...]

Research During the Month of September 2016 is Anonymously Dedicated:
In honor of Shlomo Adler (Kfar Saba, Israel), the author of Donia, and
Joan Adler, the editor. To dedicate a day, a week, or a month of
research, please email agr...@JewishGen.org.