Pop-up map-finding programme

daleari@gmail.com daleari@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 9:20:10 PM4/16/17
One of the most time-consuming and tiring parts of research is locating
whichever of those thousands of little towns and hamlets in Eastern
Europe to which a correspondent may have referred. To add to the work,
as we all know, towns changed names and those names have multiple
transliterations. Recently a genetic cousin from FTDNA asked casually
whether I'd checked out her town list. I hadn't and my heart sank at the
thought of doing it; I was interested but it took more time than I
wanted to spend despite the wonderful modern availability of Google
maps and our own JGS Town Finder and Gazeteers. And I, in turn, have
also blithely referred to obscure ancestral locales as if my
correspondents should know where they are. Is there- could there be- a
programme which gives one a simple, pop-up map immediately upon having
high-lighted the name of a place? Is there an ambulatory computer
genius out there who would take this on? Perhaps there is already such a programme
and, if so, I and probably many other researchers would love to hear of it.

Ari Dale

MODERATOR: Private responses only please. Perhaps after Ari hears about programs
out there he will submit a short summary of the responses he received
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

news@dreader37.news.xs4all.nl news@dreader37.news.xs4all.nl

Apr 17, 2017, 10:39:34 PM4/17/17
Ari Dale (dal...@gmail.com dal...@gmail.com) wrote
on 17 Apr 2017 in soc.genealogy.jewish:

> One of the most time-consuming and tiring parts of research is locating
> whichever of those thousands of little towns and hamlets in Eastern
> Europe to which a correspondent may have referred. To add to the work,
> as we all know, towns changed names and those names have multiple
> transliterations. Recently a genetic cousin from FTDNA asked casually
> whether I'd checked out her town list. I hadn't and my heart sank at the
> thought of doing it; I was interested but it took more time than I
> wanted to spend despite the wonderful modern availability of Google
> maps and our own JGS Town Finder and Gazeteers. And I, in turn, have
> also blithely referred to obscure ancestral locales as if my
> correspondents should know where they are. Is there- could there be- a
> programme which gives one a simple, pop-up map immediately upon having
> high-lighted the name of a place? Is there an ambulatory computer
> genius out there who would take this on? Perhaps there is already such a
> programme and, if so, I and probably many other researchers would love
> to hear of it.
>
> Ari Dale
>
> MODERATOR: Private responses only please. Perhaps after Ari hears about
> programs out there he will submit a short summary of the responses he
> received

I think this will be of general interest, since it is so simple:

Use a bookmarklet to search in Google Maps,
you can use the one I put here,
drag the bookmarklet to your bookmark-bar:

<http://hannivoort.org/test/FindinGmaps.asp>

This will work on modern town-names [or decimal coordinates]

Evertjan Hannivoort.
The Netherlands.
exjxwxhannivoortATinterxnlxnet
(Please change the x'es to dots)

MODERATOR NOTE: Thank you Evertjan! If there are any questions/comments about
Evertjan's contribution, please contact him directly.