Russian Birth Records for my Grandfather Isidore Shute and his Twin Brother Nathan/ Parents: Perl and Elze Schutte

thedmorland@gmail.com thedmorland@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 6:26:26 PM7/17/17
Hi Everyone,
I have not been able to find a single record on JewishGen pertaining to my
Grandfather, Isidore Shute or his twin brother, Nathan born in 1872 to Pearl
and Elze Shute, in Kiev (supposedly). He came to the US in 1903 and was
naturalized in Louisiana in 1923. It says on that document that he was born
in Volinska Gubernia, Russia. I also haven't found any information on his
parents, Pearl, b. 1841-43 ( and Elze (Eli Schutte) b. 1843, who gave their
last place of residence as Wolensk. They came to the U.S. in 1905. I have
been able to follow the family once they arrived in the U.S.

I was hoping to find birth records and marriage records for Isidore (married
to Ester Rosen), and maybe even information on Pearl and Eli's parents, and
the rest of my relatives. I think the last name in Russia was originally
Schutte. I've been on the trail of this info for over 20 years, but while I
have found many other records on JewishGen, not these. I would appreciate
any help in tracking down some of these records in Russia. Thanks so much.

Marilynn Bloom
Houston, TX
Join JewishGen at the 37th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy from 23–28 July 2017 at the Disney World
Swan Resort, Orlando, Florida. 300 lectures, workshops, SIG
meetings, luncheons and films. Online databases, networking,
and mentoring from experts. Live! web streaming of over 60
featured lectures available. For details, visit IAJGS2017.org
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

jsilverman@janette-silverman.com jsilverman@janette-silverman.com

Jul 18, 2017, 11:12:08 PM7/18/17
Marilynn Bloom wrote:
I have not been able to find a single record on JewishGen pertaining to
my Grandfather, Isidore Shute or his twin brother, Nathan born in 1872
to Pearl and Elze Shute, in Kiev (supposedly). He came to the US in 1903
and was naturalized in Louisiana in 1923. It says on that document that
he was born in Volinska Gubernia, Russia. I also haven't found any
information on his parents, Pearl, b. 1841-43 ( and Elze (Eli Schutte)
b. 1843, who gave their last place of residence as Wolensk...I would
appreciate any help in tracking down some of these records in Russia.

---
Although Volhynia and Kiev were in Russia prior to World War I, they are
both in Ukraine and records pertaining to these provinces are most
likely to be in archives in Ukraine. The JewishGen databases contain
those records which have been translated and indexed to date from the
various archives in Ukraine. Ukraine SIG currently has in excess of
300,000 pages of documents from all over Ukraine which have not been
translated. Although 300,000 seems like a lot (and of course it is),
it's only a fraction of the total number of pages of documents that we
have not yet acquired including documents from the Guberniyas you
mentioned.

Our ability to translate and transcribe data is based on our ability to
identify and approve translators who are primarily volunteers. We also
have so0me translators who are paid for their work. Hiring translators
is dependent on being able to identify qualified translators and raise
funds (look on the Donations page on JewishGen for current Ukraine SIG
fundraising projects). Many subscribers to this forum and the Ukraine
SIG discussion group have been involved in searching for qualified
translators. The documents are all handwritten and much of the time the
documents themselves are not in good shape or the handwriting is very
difficult to read. Native speakers are very often unable to read the
documents or, because of changes in the way words are used over long
periods of time, unable to adequately translate the words in question.

To identify the archives in which you will need to search you will need
to better identify the place of origin for your family. Each guberniya
(province) has hundreds of towns and records are generally kept by town
not guberniya.

Janette

Dr. Janette Silverman
JewishGen Ukraine-SIG Coordinator