How to Find Polish Archival Records That Have Been Indexed on JewishGen

Cindy Gallard gallardc@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2017, 6:37:35 PM9/19/17
In the old days, before there was so much information available on the
Internet, I would go to my local Mormon Family History Library and
order the microfilm I wanted to search. If I know the number of the
LDS film I want to see and information I am looking for, is there a
way to find out if it has been downloaded onto the Internet?

Cindy Gallard
Denver
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Alan Shuchat ahs613@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2017, 6:24:40 PM9/20/17
The FamilySearch help file suggests there are two situations where you can see
digitized records. One is that the Notes section for a catalog item may say in
red that the item is available online. This is the case, for example, with
census records (revision lists) for Soroca, Moldova (Soroki, Bessarabia). Then
you can browse the microfilmed images on your computer.

Or, you may see a microfilm number and a camera icon. In that case you can view
the digital images, but only at a Family History Center or affiliated library
unless you are a church member. For example, this happens with Jewish records
from Simferopol, Crimea.

Alan Shuchat
Newton, MA

SHUKHAT (Talnoe, Simferopol, Sevastopol, Odessa, Balta (Abazovka),
Tavrig, Pogrebishche)
VINOKUR (Talnoe), KURIS (Mogilev-Podolskiy, Ataki, Berdichev)
ZILBERMAN (Soroki, Kremenets), BIRNBAUM (Kamenets-Podolskiy)
KITAIGORODSKI (Zvenigorodka)

On Sep 19, 2017, Cindy Gallard gall...@gmail.com wrote:
> In the old days, before there was so much information available on the
> Internet, I would go to my local Mormon Family History Library and
> order the microfilm I wanted to search. If I know the number of the
> LDS film I want to see and information I am looking for, is there a
> way to find out if it has been downloaded onto the Internet?

Moishe Miller moishe.miller@totalben.com

Sep 20, 2017, 6:48:34 PM9/20/17
Dear Fellow JewishGen-ers,

Cindy Gallard asks about Polish Records available on the Internet. I would
suggest the two links under item #24, on the JGSoB Resource page, here:
http://www.jgsob.org/resources.html

Note, not all Polish records have been scanned at this time, so check back
periodically.

Wishing you all a Shana Tova,

Moishe Miller
Brooklyn, NY
moishe...@totalben.com

Mark Halpern mark@halpern.com

Sep 24, 2017, 10:16:06 PM9/24/17
First let me wish everyone L'Shana Tova, a happy and healthy 5778.

The subject of the original posting mentions Polish Archival Records
Indexed on JewishGen. This requires some explanation of which some of
you may not be aware. The indices of Jewish vital records sourced both
from LDS microfilms and directly from the Polish State Archive have been
indexed by Jewish Records Indexing - Poland
http://www.jri-poland.org/index.html . JRI-Poland is an independent
organization and we chose to broadly share our indices with the
Genealogy community by providing results of searches of the JRI-Poland
database through searches of the JewishGen Poland database. All the
indexing and linking to images provided by the Polish State Archives are
brought to you by JRI-Poland.

Many of the LDS films of Jewish vital records of Poland have been
indexed by JRI-Poland. To check your town's availability of LDS films
and the status of JRI-Poland indexing, see our "Your Town" pages at
http://www.jri-poland.org/town/index.htm and scroll down to your town.
If the LDS films have been indexed, search the JRI-Poland database. In
many cases, not only will you find index entries for your family, but
also links to the actual record. If there is a direct link to your
record of interest, the far left column in the results table will state
"View Image." Click on this link. If there is not "View Image" link,
take a look at the top of the table. If it includes the following:
"Eventually all index records will be directly linked to their images,
but in the meantime you can find folders with all currently available
images HERE," click on that link and search for the subject image in the
folder of images.

The new LDS policy(effective September 7, 2017)for accessing Jewish
vital records of Poland is available on the JRI-Poland website at
http://jri-poland.org/jri-lds.htm. You no longer can order the films at
LDS Family History Centers but are able to view the images on their
internal network. The LDS does not have authorization to place these
images online.

The Polish State Archive has the objective of digitizing its entire
collection of vital records and ultimately, images of all Jewish vital
records of Poland will be available at szukajwarchiwach.pl (the Polish
State Archive website.) If your record of interest is not yet digitized
and linked by JRI-Poland, you can wait or you can visit a Family History
Center to view the digital image if, as Alan Shuchat suggests, there is
a camera icon in the online FamilySearch catalog. As the Polish Archive
adds digital images to their website, JRI-Poland will create links to
their folders.

If you are unsure of the availability of your town's records, please
contact the JRI-Poland Town Leader or Archive Coordinator, who are
listed on the "Your Town" webpages along with a link to their email
addresses.

Best regards from JRI-Poland,
Mark Halpern
AGAD and Bialystok Archive Coordinator