question about obtaining citizenship, Romania or Ukraine?

Jeremy G Frankel jfrankel@lmi.net

Apr 14, 2017, 8:11:05 PM4/14/17
Dear Genners,

Recently I was asked by someone about obtaining Romanian citizenship
for his father. According to the Romanian Embassy website, although
this person's father was born in the United States, if the father's
father had been born in Romania then it would be possible.

The problem, as I see it (and I could be totally mistaken here) is
that the town of birth for the grandfather was Chotin, Romania. Some
of you will appreciate that this is now Khotyn, Ukraine.

So my question is, can someone apply for citizenship in a country
when the town is no longer in that country? Can one acquire
citizenship on a historical basis of something that happened over 100
years ago?

I will take answers privately or they can be posted to the group as
the answers might be of wider interest to others.

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy G Frankel
ex-Edgware, Middlesex, England
now Folsom, California, USA

Searching for:
FRANKEL/FRENKEL/FRENKIEL: Gombin, Poland; London, England
GOLDRATH/GOLD: Praszka, Poland; London, England
KOENIGSBERG: Vilkaviskis, Lithuania; London, England; NY, USA
LEVY (later LEADER): Kalisz, Poland; London, England
PINKUS, Poland; London, England
PRINCZ/PRINCE: Krakow, Poland; London, England; NY, USA

MODERATOR NOTE: The most reliable and informed resource for this type of
information will be an agency of the government in question. Private responses
only, please - perhaps Jeremy could provide a summary of the most informed

Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Ira Martin Leviton iraleviton@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2017, 11:15:47 AM4/16/17
Dear Cousins,

Jeremy Frankel asked, on behalf of somebody else, whether somebody whose father was
born in Romania could obtain Romanian citizenship. He said that according to the
Romanian embassy's web site, it's possible, but the wrinkle is that the father's
town of birth was Chotin, which is now Khotyn, in the Ukraine.

My answer is that the embassy should be contacted - I believe that they have to be
contacted anyway to apply for citizenship, and they'll certainly know more about
this topic than any of us.

I'm not certain, but I don't think that the town's current location matters - if
there's documentation that the father was born in and was a citizen of Romania,
that should be adequate. The current location may not even be reviewed. However,
there are other circumstances that may also affect eligibility - for instance, if
the father emigrated and joined the military of his adopted country, even if he was
drafted, that could make his descendants ineligible. The same may be true if the
son has been in the military. Each country has their own rules - some countries
have made a general exempt for fighting for another country in World War 2 as long
as it was for an army allied with that country, but don't exempt fighting in, say
the Korean War or other wars. Every person's situation, or ancestor's, is going to
be different.

On the other hand, it's possible that although details of documentation from 100
years ago might be needed, every nuance since then won't be reviewed.

Ira

Ira Leviton
New York, N.Y.

news@dreader37.news.xs4all.nl news@dreader37.news.xs4all.nl

Apr 16, 2017, 8:48:02 PM4/16/17
Ira Martin Leviton irale...@yahoo.com wrote:

> My answer is that the embassy should be contacted - I believe that they
> have to be contacted anyway to apply for citizenship, and they'll
> certainly know more about this topic than any of us.

Methinks the consulate should be contacted, often/sometimes a consulate resides in
an embassy.

Evertjan Hannivoort.
The Netherlands.
exjxwxhannivoortATinterxnlxnet