FamilySearch places Jewish pre-1895 Hungary records online

Michael Moritz michael.d.moritz@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2017, 8:28:02 AM4/7/17
I have been continuing to monitor FamilySearch's continual effort to
place all their LDS films online. Previous posts of mine have
addressed this for Jewish records for Lithuania and Vienna, as well as
SDNY/EDNY/Newark naturalizations.

Now, as far as I can tell, all pre-1895 Jewish registers from the
modern territory of Hungary have been placed online. I checked for the
towns my family was from (Csongrad, Tiszafoldvar, Abony), but also
checked for other parts of Hungary, such as Gyor, Miskolc is
Satoraljaujhely. Seems like they've got the whole country covered.

To find the records, go in familysearch.org and under the search tab,
click catalog. The easiest way to get directly to the Jewish record is
on the left side panel, under keyword, type the name of the town
followed by the word Jewish and hit search. This will bring up a link
directly to the records. When you click on it and scroll down, you
will see a camera icon next to the description. Clicking on that will
allow you to scroll through the images of the film. If it identifies a
record set is only a specific Item, then you must consider within that
film until you reach that Item. These commence with black screens with
a sheet on them that states the Item number in big letters.

Best of luck in searching,
Michael Moritz
New York
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Vivian Kahn vkahn@kmort.com

Apr 8, 2017, 10:15:22 PM4/8/17
Unfortunately, the information in this message is not correct.
FamilySearch has uploaded images from a very large number of Jewish
registers from places in present day Hungary but by no means all.
In addition, Family Search has uploaded more than 41,000 Jewish
vital records indexed by Hungarian SIG volunteers, many of which
are from Pest, Obuda, Szabolcs and other places in modern Hungary

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1787825?collectionNameFilter=false
[or http://tinyurl.com/mspzujy --Mod.]

And, of course, many post-1895 Jewish BMD are in the Hungary Civil
Registration collection

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1452460?collectionNameFilter=false
[or http://tinyurl.com/mb5lsk4 --Mod.]

but only a small proportion of almost 6 million images have been indexed.

Vivian Kahn, Oakland, California
JewishGen Hungarian SIG Coordinator

> From: Michael Moritz <michael....@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 07:27:47 -0400
>
> I have been continuing to monitor FamilySearch's continual effort to
> place all their LDS films online. Previous posts of mine have
> addressed this for Jewish records for Lithuania and Vienna, as well as
> SDNY/EDNY/Newark naturalizations.
>
> Now, as far as I can tell, all pre-1895 Jewish registers from the
> modern territory of Hungary have been placed online. I checked for the
> towns my family was from (Csongrad, Tiszafoldvar, Abony), but also
> checked for other parts of Hungary, such as Gyor, Miskolc is
> Satoraljaujhely. Seems like they've got the whole country covered.
>
> To find the records, go in familysearch.org and under the search tab,
> click catalog. The easiest way to get directly to the Jewish record is
> on the left side panel, under keyword, type the name of the town
> followed by the word Jewish and hit search. This will bring up a link
> directly to the records. When you click on it and scroll down, you
> will see a camera icon next to the description. Clicking on that will
> allow you to scroll through the images of the film. If it identifies a
> record set is only a specific Item, then you must consider within that
> film until you reach that Item. These commence with black screens with
> a sheet on them that states the Item number in big letters.

Michael Moritz michael.d.moritz@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 10:17:10 PM4/8/17
I'd like to send a follow up because there was some confusion about
the scope of the records as well as technical issues.

First, here is the link to the catalog.

https://familysearch.org/catalog/search

Second, the scope. FamilySearch has not necessarily filmed more films.
The records placed online are scans of the LDS films that were already
in existence for Hungary. So for any town where there were LDS films
in Hungary, those are now online.

Upon a broader search, there are approximately 600 films now online
for Jewish communities across the Hungarian Empire (mainly modern-day
Hungary and Slovakia).

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Michael Moritz
New York, USA