(US-CA) JGS Conejo Valley & Ventura County December 4 Program with Karen Franklin on Adoption & DNA

1 view

Jan Meisels Allen janmallen@att.net

Nov 29, 2016, 12:40:25 AM11/29/16
The Jewish Genealogical Society of the Conejo Valley and Ventura County (JGSCV)
will meet on Sunday, 4 December from 1:30-3:30 pm. Our meeting is co-sponsored by
and held at Temple Adat Elohim 2420 E Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
This is our annual meeting for elections, Chanukah party with a great program!

Program: The Stedman Story: Mystery, Intrigue, Adoption and DNA: Jewish
Genealogy Strategies Unravel a Family Mystery

This is a true life story involving mystery, bigamy, adoption and DNA. The
secretive life of Jesse Oppenheimer, alias John Stedman (1887-1950) was unraveled
using family research techniques that are useful to all genealogists. In this talk,
Karen will reflect on the trajectory of research beginning with his son, Jon
Stedman (1933-2009), whose papers she was hired to organize five years ago. Though
his DNA was tested in 2001, an upgrade in 2013 helped an adopted child find her
birth mother, and a child conceived by in-vitro fertilization almost 40 years ago,
who is now working to find his birth father. Analysis of Jon's papers and a
description of strategies developed to move forward on the project highlight the
changing nature of family history research.

Speaker: Karen Franklin is the director of family research at the Leo Baeck
Institute, chair of the Memorial Museums Committee of ICOM (the International
Council of Museums) and president of the Obermayer German Jewish History Awards.
She has served as chair of the Council of American Jewish Museums and president of
the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies, as well as
co-chair of the Board of Governors of JewishGen.

Schmoozing Corner:
The schmoozing corner starts at 1:10 PM facilitated by JGSCV founding member
Hal Bookbinder.

Traveling Library
The traveling library will be available starting at 1:00 PM Categories A and C .
A listing of which books are in which category are on our website under library-
traveling See www.jgscv.org

Membership Drive and Chanukah party: This is our annual membership drive/Chanukah
Party where those who join or renew for 2017 between October and the December
meeting and attend the meeting have their names placed in a bowl for possible
selection of more than 10 wonderful genealogical gifts, including a worldwide
subscription to Ancestry.com, My Heritage, Findmy past, Fold3, Newsppaers.com;
software including Family Tree Maker, RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, DNA tests,
genealogy research and more!

You must be present to win! Light refreshments will be served celebrating
Chanukah and our membership drive. There is no charge to attend the meeting.
Anyone may join JGSCV. Annual dues are $25 for an individual and $30 for a family.
The meeting is open to the public. Membership forms will be available at the
meeting and are available on our website: www.jgscv.org under "About JGSCV" and in
the newsletter- which is available on our website under newsletter -2016.

Board Election
Half of JGSCV's board will be elected. The slate was confirmed at the November
meeting and mentioned in the December issue of Venturing Into Our Past. Nominations
were closed at the November meeting and election will be by acclimation. Running
for office for two year terms are: Jan Meisels Allen, Rosalie Bell, Julie
Goldman, Karen Lewy, Helene Rosen, Diane Wainwood. Determined by coin toss, Judy
Karta will be running for one year. This way about of the board is elected each
year.

For more information and directions to the meeting see our website at:
www.jgscv.org

Looking forward to seeing you on December 4.

Jan Meisels Allen
President, JGSCV
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.