Descendancy from Reb Chaim of Volozhiner

1 view

Yonatan Shalom Ben-Ari yonibenari@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 8:47:12 AM1/6/17
There is a tradition in our family that we are descendant from Reb Chaim of
Volozhin. I can't make any connection to any individual that appear on
published tree but do have some stories that are similar to events in the
Volozhin family. Some may make a connection.

There is a story in our family that one of my ancestresses was orphaned at a
young age and Reb' Itzaleh, Reb Chaim's son, was the untiferer (escort to the
marriage instead of the parents) at her wedding. From what I read Itzaleh's
daughter and son-in-law (LANDAU)did pass away at a young age but the sources
I've seen don't mention what ages there children were.

It is also rumored that Rav Gimple YAFFE who was the Rabbi of Or Yehuda at the
turn of the 19th-20th cent. told a member of the WEISFISCH family (in Israel)
with whom we are related and are also from the branch supposedly from Reb. Chaim,
that (as a graduate of the Yeshiva in Volozhin) he "knows" that that WEISFISCH is a
descendant of Reb. Chaim.

Several years ago I received a (short) tree od Reb' Chaim's brother ,Shlomo
Zalman, in which a husband of my ggreat aunt is a descendant(of Shlomo Zalman)
so I am also wondering if that may be the solution to the above puzzle.

Another option may be that, Reb Chaim had a less known son , Yosef who left
Volozhin and married a woman from Shershov. It may be that Yosef was excluded
from most published trees since he or his son became a Chosid, which
was not a popular thing to do in the Volozhin circles.

As to the names of my ancestors of this branch, my grgreatgrandparents, were Shlomo
and Sarah Hinde (nee SCHATZ) KANTOR of Karlin. Shlomo was a store owner (not a
Rabbi which may be a reason they weren't included in family trees) and his through
his wife is our supposed connection to Volozhin. Shlomo was a Talmid Chacham,as
testified by the Rav (a R' Mordechai leib-possibly a ZACKHEIM-who seems also
to be a relative of ours) and he and his wife sold their store to make aliya to
Eretz Yisrael (around 1860s) but Shlomo passed away before their aliya and his
wife made the aliya with her four children.

The better known of the children was R' Chaim Dov KANTOR who lived in the Moshav
Shfeya near Zichron Yaacov, and was the "mashgiach" of the winery in Zichron
and whose daughter married Nachum WEISFISCH who was murdered by arabs.
Some of the above stated family stories come from Nachum's descendants.

The three other children who made aliya with their mother were Bracha
(my greatgrandmother) who married Yacov Gedalia SCHECHTER. Esther
who married Aharon-Avraham ROSTOVSKI who was the descendant of Reb'
Chaim's brother Shlomo Zalman.. Peshe who married Yosef EPSTEIN.

Sorry for the long posting above.

Wishing everyone a Shabbat shalom

Yoni Ben-Ari, Jerusalem
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.