Does the city "Vysokaya Gora" or "Vysokaya Ruda" (Russian words written in English letters) exist in Lithuania?

Gabriel Yadgarov gabi.rule@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2016, 12:12:20 PM9/24/16
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to trace my ancestor Izrail GINDIN that was born in
Lithuania, left to Uzbekistan, joined the Soviet army and died there
in 1942. I've found a military paper from the red army that says he
was born in Lithuania in a city called "Vysokaya Gora" in Russian (or
"High Mountain", translated to English). However, I haven't found any
city in Lithuania that carries this name.

In addition, I've found another paper in Yad Vashem website, that says
he was born in Lithuania in a city called "Vysokaya Ruda" in Russian
(in English it would be "High Ore/Mineral"). Unfortunately, I haven't
found a city that carries that name.

The military paper claims he was born in 1905, while the Yad Vashem
website claims he was born in 1902.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea why can't I find the city "Vysokaya
Gora" or "Vysokaya Ruda" in Lithuania? What am I missing here?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,

Gavriel Yadgarov

MODERATOR: Information specific to Gavriel's query should be sent
directly to him. Any responses that include references to research
techniques or data sources that might be of more general interest to
the Group are welcome to be shared.
Research During the Month of September 2016 is Anonymously Dedicated:
In honor of Shlomo Adler (Kfar Saba, Israel), the author of Donia, and
Joan Adler, the editor. To dedicate a day, a week, or a month of
research, please email agr...@JewishGen.org.
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Alexander Sharon a.sharon@shaw.ca

Sep 25, 2016, 5:39:13 PM9/25/16
Gabriel Yadgarov requested identification and location of two Lithuanian =
shtetls:

Vysokaya Gora and Vysokaya Ruda

Vysokaya Ruda is known nowadays as Visakio Ruda in Lithuania. It is
recognized as Jewish community at 5448 2326. Place used to be part of
Marjampol district in Suwalki Province. It is close to Kaunas (Kovno)

Vysokaya Gora, on the other hand, located in Poland, Suwalki region,
near modern Lithuanian border. Location 5408 2307, the nearest Jewish
communities (few miles distance) are Krasnopol and Kaletnik.

Best

Alexander Sharon
JGFF editor

Ann Rabinowitz arabinow@bellsouth.net

Sep 25, 2016, 5:46:45 PM9/25/16
Usually, when looking for an ancestral town, one would start off with
the front page of JewishGen and plug in the town name. A second
place would be the book "Where Once We Walked" and third would be
Google Maps.

Vysokaya is in present-day Belarus, 75km WNW of Pinsk, Belarus
Vysokoye is in present-day Belarus, 189km W of Pinsk, Belarus
Vysokoya Gora is in present-day Belarus according to Google Maps
Visakio Ruda is in present-day Lithuania, 38km SW of Kaunas, Lithuania

Once the correct town name is found, for instance, Visakio Ruda, one
can look in JewishGen's Yizkor Book database and find a short piece
on the town.

Another means of finding out more about the town is searching by the
town name in the All Lithuania Database.

Ann Rabinowitz
arab...@bellsouth.net

Harvey Morris Kabaker harvey.kabaker@verizon.net

Sep 25, 2016, 5:48:18 PM9/25/16
> Subject: Does the city "Vysokaya Gora" or "Vysokaya Ruda" exist in Lithuania?

Using the JewishGen Gazetteer at
http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp, type in Vysokaya only
and search. Sort the results by Country and you will find:

In Belarus, Vysokaya Gora

In Lithuania, Visakio Ruda, Vishake-Ruda, Vysoka Ruda

Harvey Kabaker
Silver Spring, MD

Researching CUTLER, KOTLARSKY, SHAEFFER in Bila Tserkva;
KABAKER, OKUN, BERLUNSKY in Seirijai;
WEINHOUSE, MILLER in Edinet.

MODERATOR: A reminder that the Lyris software used by JewishGen
does not "play well" with diacritical marks and accents that could
not have been typed on an IBM Selectric typewriter, US version, ca. 1970.
The result is often indecipherable characters, many of which even
our online decoder is unable to decode. When you submit a message, please
replace these troublesome characters with their closest approximation
from a standard - U.S. version - keyboard. Thank you.

Gabriel Yadgarov gabi.rule@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2016, 5:52:57 PM9/25/16
Thank you very much for the information, you are very helpful!!!

Assuming my ancestor was born in Visakio Ruda in Lithuania in the
years 1900-1906, in which archives should I start looking if I
want to find his records?

And assuming he was born in Vysokaya Gora in Poland in the years
1900-1906, in which archives should I start looking if I want to
find his records?

I'm grateful for getting help from you, I really appreciate it!

Regards,

Gavriel Yadgarov