This week's Yizkor book excerpt on the JewishGen Facebook page

BDrake@PewResearch.org BDrake@PewResearch.org

Jun 1, 2018, 8:47:19 PM6/1/18
One kind of reminisces I frequently come across in Yizkor books are compilations of
"Clever Expressions (Sayings)" in Yiddish which is the case with this excerpt, from
a longer chapter titled "From Dzialoszyce Folklore" in the Polish shtetl of that
name. Each community had its own variants, some of which I've posted previously.
So, with the often-used caution "Der orl iz meyvn kol os. The gentile understands
every letter. [Be careful what you say]," here is the latest installment of these.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JewishGen.org/posts/?ref=page_internal

Bruce Drake
Silver Spring, MD

Researching: DRACH, KIMMEL, EBERT, ZLOTNICK
Towns: Wojnilow (https://bit.ly/2svXKVF), Kovel (https://bit.ly/2JnUC8y)
IAJGS Conference in Warsaw
Early discounted registration ends on 5 May 2018.

Don't miss the first IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy
to be held in Eastern Europe and our 38th overall! The Warsaw, Poland
Hilton Hotel & Conference Center will be the base for lectures, panels,
networking, and historic excursions and a unique Resource Village!

Mark your calendar for 5-10 August 2018 and visit iajgs2018.org for details.
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

BDrake@PewResearch.org BDrake@PewResearch.org

Jun 8, 2018, 12:11:52 PM6/8/18
"How was I saved from Destruction?" is the title of this week's excerpt, which
is from the Yizkor book of Kovel, now in the Ukraine. It is a question answered
by the writer, Miriam Goldstein. The keys to her survival was an old Polish
couple who took her in along with three other Jewish children in 1943 and his
them in a ramshackle structure that served as a barn, silo, cow-shed and
pig-sty.

Goldstein muses over the couple's reasons, but quotes the wife as often saying
"I'm likely to go to the gallows for one - why not for twenty!" The arrival of
"Ukrainian hooligans" eventually forces them to flee, "hungry, exhausted,
hunted and desperate, expecting every minute to be killed, but they were able
to return to return to Kovel after it had been liberated by the Red Army.

Bruce Drake
Silver Spring, MD

Researching: DRACH, EBERT, KIMMEL, ZLOTNICK
Towns: Wojnilow, Kovel

BDrake@PewResearch.org BDrake@PewResearch.org

Jun 15, 2018, 9:45:49 PM6/15/18
One of the dark periods for Jewish communities in the Russian Pale of
Settlement in the 19th century began in 1827 when Czar Nikolai issued
the Cantonist Decree requiring them to provide recruits for military
service. Under the order, the Jewish communities had to fill the debt
of military service with people, and not with money as had been the
practice. The term of service was 25 years, which began at age 18. But
"the most bitter of the cruel laws" imposed by Nikolai was to take Jews
aged 12 to 25 with the aim of forcing religious conversions to
Christianity by sending the younger ones to Cantonist institutions-
"small, weak, trembling children [stolen] from their mothers. In 1856,
Aleksander II repealed the edict permitting the taking of children up
to 18 as soldiers.

Bruce Drake
Silver Spring MD

BDrake@PewResearch.org BDrake@PewResearch.org

Jun 22, 2018, 10:38:11 PM6/22/18
Many of the Yizkor book excerpts I post here have a particular subject, but
I sense from comments I've received that readers also enjoy accounts that
paint a general picture of life in a shtetl that exudes the texture, feel and
sound of a community. Such is the case with "Daily Life in the Town" from the
Yizkor book of Golub-Dobrzyn in Poland, about 100 miles northwest of Warsaw. It
recounts the passage of the seasons, the unpaved roads, the joys taken in fairs
and market days when "the town would awaken as if to a new life," the tribulations
of the poor and the "pious women" who served the town as community volunteers.
"There was a long list of customs that were specific to the town," Avraham Dor
writes. "Some had been initiated during periods of joy, others in periods of
grief. But with the passage of time, as new ideas made their way into the
small towns, including our own, some of these customs fell into disuse."

Bruce Drake
Silver Spring, MD

Researching: DRACH, EBERT, KIMMEL, ZLOTNICK
Towns: Wojnilow, Kovel
IAJGS Conference in Warsaw
Workshop, SIG Luncheons, and Banquet reservations are all open for
registration now on the conference website.

BDrake@PewResearch.org BDrake@PewResearch.org

Jun 29, 2018, 9:11:45 AM6/29/18
This week's excerpt from the Yizkor book for Voronovo, Belarus, about 40
miles due south of Vilnius, is one window on the thoughts, shock, emotions
and fears that ran through the minds of Jews as the horror of the Nazi
occupation closed in on them. In this account of three days in May 1942,
the immediate danger was not the Nazis themselves. "We look at who comes
to kill us," writes Keileh Grodzenchik, describing what those crowded in
his parents' house woke up one day to see. "They are not strangers: they
are the Poles-- your close neighbors-- your acquaintances. There is
Eyseltchok, there is Bibik, Burshu and others that you went to school with
and with whom you built a friendship, and here they are... We are shut in,
enclosed, surrounded by Polish predatory beasts and by German soldiers."

Bruce Drake
Silver Spring MD