(US-NYC) Marriage Records Copies 1930-1949 No Longer in City Clerk's Office

瀏覽次數:11 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Jan Meisels Allen janmallen@att.net

未讀,
2016年10月22日 凌晨1:34:432016/10/22
收件者:
Effective 31 October 2016 copies of marriage records from 1930-1949 will no
longer be available at the City Clerk's Office. Instead, the records will
be available at the Department of Records and Information Services
(Municipal Archives), 31 Chambers Street Room 31 New York, NY 1007.

The website for the NYC Clerk's Office is:
http://cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/home/home.shtml
The website for the NYC Municipal Archives is:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/archives/archives.shtml

IAJGS Records Access Alert subscriber Alec Ferretti sent me information
about the availability change for marriage records. Thank you Alec for
informing us of this change of location to access marriage records 1930-1949

If you are interested in subscribing to the IAJGS Records Access Alert go
to: http://lists.iajgs.org/mailman/listinfo/records-access-alerts. You will
receive an email response that you have to reply to or the subscription will
not be finalized. It is required to include your organization affiliation
(genealogy organization, etc.) To access the Alert archives go to:
http://lists.iajgs.org/mailman/private/records-access-alerts. You must be
registered to access the archives.

Jan Meisels Allen
Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee
Research During the Month of September 2016 is Anonymously Dedicated:
In honor of Shlomo Adler (Kfar Saba, Israel), the author of Donia, and
Joan Adler, the editor. To dedicate a day, a week, or a month of
research, please email agr...@JewishGen.org.
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

未讀,
2016年10月22日 晚上11:30:422016/10/22
收件者:
Jan Meisels Allen wrote:
"...Effective 31 October 2016 copies of marriage records from 1930-1949 will no
longer be available at the City Clerk's Office..."

I posted information about this last Thursday.

Two things to understand, first October 31st is the last day the Marriage
Bureau at the City Clerk's Office will supply copies of the 1930-1949 marriages.
(No word on what will happen to mail requests sent to them prior to that date
or requests still in their files on October 31st. If you have not already sent
a request I would recommend waiting at this point until the information is
available at the Archives.)

Second the intent is to then transfer to the microfilms down the street to the
Municipal Archives. There is no word when the films will become available at
the Municipal Archives. I would suspect the transfer will take some time based
on the amount of film that will need to be transferred, catalogued and shelved
to become available.

I would strongly suggest waiting for confirmation that the 1930-1949 marriages
are available before heading off to the Municipal Archives or sending in a
request. The Archives is currently backlogged with mail requests taking about
six to eight weeks in many cases. I was there Thursday and overheard that they
were trying to finish up requests from August.

Allan Jordan

Jan Meisels Allen janmallen@att.net

未讀,
2016年10月22日 晚上11:32:472016/10/22
收件者:
The NYC Municipal Archives has had the marriage records through 1937 for
years-this is not something new. They also have had the index to marriage
records through 1949 since about 2001.

The "only" things new are:
1. The New York City Clerk's Office will no longer provide the copies of
the marriage records 1930-1949; and
2. The New York City Municipal Archives will have the records on microfilm
for years 1938-1949.

Jan Meisels Allen
Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

未讀,
2016年10月23日 下午1:39:342016/10/23
收件者:
Jan Meisels Allen wrote:

"...The NYC Municipal Archives has had the marriage records through 1937 for
years-this is not something new..."

What the NY Municipal Archives had in the past is only the Health Department
marriage certificates through 1937. For the City Clerk's marriage license file
they have only had the index through 1950 and the certificates through 1929.
In the past if you wanted a copy of the marriage license after 1929 you had to
get it at the City Clerk's Marriage Bureau office not the Archives.

The "new" is that the Archives will now have the Clerk's license forms from
1930 through 1949. In the past if you wanted these you had to go to the Clerk's
office and have them do the search for you. Now we will be able to do our own
searches and read the certificates for free or if we can a copy they should be
less expensive than the past. As someone who does these searches I will be
happy not to have to sit and wait at the Marriage Bureau for 30 minutes or more
while they pint out a single form.

As I explained in a previous message in NY City there were two sets of paper
work available between 1908 and 1937. One was license form issued by the City
Clerk's office and the second was the certificate issued by the Health
Department. Yes they overlapped through 1937 and in most cases both sets of
paper exist on most marriages. As I explained the information is usually the
same except for instances such as a divorce where the Clerk's form took more
details versus the Health Department.

So the what's changed is that the City Clerk's marriage licese file from 1930
through 1949 should be far more accessible than in thee past.

Allan Jordan

MODERATOR NOTE: Generally, Moderators follow a policy of posting news items
for information only, and do not entertain further comments. In this case,
Moderators felt that clarification provided by Allan is helpful for those
trying to understand NYC marriage records (certificates and applications/
licenses). Further messages in response to this thread will not be posted
unless they provide substantively new information.
0 則新訊息