38th Royal Fusiliers Question

Ben Forman ben.r.forman@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2016, 1:39:03 PM9/16/16
Hi Genners

How do I find out the Unit of the 38th Royal Fusiliers in which mt
Great Grandfather served, his regimental number was J.518. There's a
war diary on Ancestry which is for the 2nd Battalion 29th Division, in
the Gallipoli Section. I don't think it's relevant to my GGF as I know
he was shipped out to Egypt and served in Palestine but it would help
to find out more.

Thanks as always

Ben Forman

searching: BENSON: Hasenpoth/Courland; BERNSTEIN/WEINER: Ylakiai;
CAHN/CAHEN/WOLF: Zuendorf/Bruhl/Lechenich/Ahrweiler;
FURMAN: Kaluszyn; GEVER: Daugavpils/Dvinsk;
STILLMAN:Pilica/Ogrodzienec SAWADY: Zavadi,Posen;
Research During the Month of September 2016 is Anonymously Dedicated:
In honor of Shlomo Adler (Kfar Saba, Israel), the author of Donia, and
Joan Adler, the editor. To dedicate a day, a week, or a month of
research, please email agr...@JewishGen.org.
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Rose Feldman rosef@post.tau.ac.il

Sep 17, 2016, 7:25:33 AM9/17/16
The Israel Genealogy Research Association has a number of lists in its
collection. Registration to do a search is free. You may find him
there. One of the lists is the index of the forums filled out by
people for the Museum called Beit Hagdudim in Avihayil. There are also
some lists from other places.

Rose Feldman
Israel Genealogy Research Association
http://genealogy.org.il
http:/facebook.com/israelgenealogy

Keep up to date on archives, databases and genealogy in general and
Jewish and Israeli roots in particular with
http://twitter.com/JewDataGenGirl

---

Joyce W Field jfield@nlci.com

Sep 17, 2016, 1:22:48 PM9/17/16
Ben Forman asked about the 38th Royal Fusiliers. There are two sources of
information, in addition to the numerous books that have been written
about this group. Ben should write to:

custom...@forces-war-records.co.uk
Beit Hagdudim, Avichail, Israel

My father was in the Jewish Legion, 38thRoyal Fusiliers, in the Gallipoli
group during WW 1.

Joyce Field
West Lafayette, IN

David R Brill brilldr@comcast.net

Sep 18, 2016, 7:08:56 AM9/18/16
Ben Forman wrote:

> How do I find out the Unit of the 38th Royal Fusiliers in which my
> Great Grandfather served, his regimental number was J.518. There's a
> war diary on Ancestry which is for the 2nd Battalion 29th Division, in
> the Gallipoli Section. I don't think it's relevant to my GGF as I know
> he was shipped out to Egypt and served in Palestine but it would help
> to find out more.

I suggest checking out two sources. The first is the British Army Service
Records 1914-1919 available (for a small payment) on findmypast.com. You may
be able to find his scanned discharge documents, containing a full service
record, on this site. I would also contact the archives of Beit Hagdudim
(Legion House) in Avichail, Israel, which has records on individual Legion
soldiers. I should point out that the 38th Battalion Royal Fusiliers was
actually the name of the unit, within the larger British Army regiment
called the Royal Fusiliers. Historically, the 38th Battalion was one of a
group of 4 battalions collectively known as the Jewish Legion. The 38th was
mostly British Jews, but the Legion grew to include the 39th Battalion
(mostly Americans and Canadians), and the 40th Battalion (Palestinian Jews)
R.F.

David R. Brill
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA

Moishe Miller moishe.miller@totalben.com

Sep 20, 2016, 12:45:57 PM9/20/16
Dear Group,

For those with possible relatives in that battalion, see the ship
manifest of the SS Saturina, sailing from Glasgow on 11 October 1919.
The ship arrived in Quebec on 20 October 1919. Find an Abraham Keller,
age 22, from Russia. Interestingly, the entire page of passengers on the
manifest list shows the last place of residence as the Royal British
Army. It lists Abraham as part of the 38th Battalion.

Moishe Miller
Brooklyn, NY
moishe...@totalben.com