Finding arrivals -- zero for three

Allan Jordan aejordan@aol.com

Sep 16, 2016, 1:41:55 PM9/16/16
Well this is most probably just frustration talking ... but I have
three naturalization papers that show specific details on arrivals but
none of them popped out of the databases when searched. I know
arrivals from naturalization papers are often fuzzy but with specifics
I was hoping one would yield the family. Maybe I am just pushing the
wrong buttons today.....

Max Baker says he arrived from Liverpool to New York on the Caronia
Sept 18, 1907 -- and sure enough the ship arrived that day, In his
case I have a suspicion his name is neither Max nor Baker but I suspect
he is heading to Boston area when his family members are. He says he
was born July 1893 in Wolyn, Russia.

John Baker says he arrived in Philadelphia August 24, 1905 from
Liverpool and it appears aboard the Westerland. On his naturalization
they crossed out Boston and wrote in Philadelphia. He says he was
born November 1884 in Volinsk, Russia. He goes to Boston but I do not
know if that was his original destination.

Jacob Baker says he came from Liverpool to Boston arriving Aug 30, 1906
aboard the Ivernia. He says he was born May 1887 in Wolyn, Russia.

Somewhere along the line their mother appears to also come over,
hopefully with Max or maybe Jacob. Her name is showing on the 1910
Census as Gertrude Baker.

With three some specific arrival and in the came of Max and Jacob they
seem to align with real ship arrivals you think one of them would show
up in the databases. So far I am zero fro three on finding any of them.

I saw a Jacob Britzke which I guess needs some more examination but a
quick search for other Britzke arrivals did not yield either of the
brothers.

John is fairly stable in Boston area and shows in the various census
records. Jacob is Jake in 1910 and 1920 living with a wife a cousins
and then vanishes from the Census although I know they had a child in
1921. Max is only in the 1910 Census but in 1920 there is a Mendel
while the age is way off he is living with mother Gertrude so I suspect
Max and Mendel might be the same child but Max also vanishes from the
Census.

The family that does not want to be found and yield its secrets.... or
maybe I am just pushing the wrong buttons on the search today!

Thanks

Allan Jordan
Research During the Month of September 2016 is Anonymously Dedicated:
In honor of Shlomo Adler (Kfar Saba, Israel), the author of Donia, and
Joan Adler, the editor. To dedicate a day, a week, or a month of
research, please email agr...@JewishGen.org.
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Moishe Miller moishe.miller@totalben.com

Sep 18, 2016, 7:13:25 AM9/18/16
Allan,

Using your detail I checked the naturalization records and did find Max
Baker's declaration and petition in Massachusetts. They give different
dates and town names. The declaration lists his town of birth as
Govednitsa, Russia. I looked at the back of the petition, as sometimes
name changes are recorded there, but I did not see one.

Using your hunch of a name change (Baker does not sound very Russian) I
then used Steve Morse's 1-step, specifying first name starting with "M",
surname starting with "B", a year of birth between 1890 - 1895 and
arrival in 1907. Almost 700 results and none promising, so I went back
to the search page and added a ship name starting with "CA". There are
only 47 results. One stands out:

Briche, Menache from Gorodnice, Russia, age 16, line 2 of page 0555 &
0556.
Ship name: Caronia; Arrival date: September 18th, 1907

The town name is very similar to that on the declaration. He is listed
as traveling with his mother, Gittel, which maybe the Hebrew name of the
mother Gertrude you mention. By her name it indicates the trip was paid
by her children, which also fits with the older boys having arrived
earlier.

There is an M Baker listed in 1907 using the "passengers leaving UK"
webpage at
http://search.findmypast.com/search-world-records/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960

I will leave it to you to pick it up from here and see if it takes you
anywhere.

Good luck,

Moishe Miller
Brooklyn, NY