Yizkor Book Project, September 2017

bounce-3394835-792487@lyris.jewishgen.org bounce-3394835-792487@lyris.jewishgen.org

Oct 6, 2017, 2:04:44 PM10/6/17
Shalom,

During the period of the High Holidays, many of us were quite busy in
many other directions and still are, as it happens, as we enter the
first days of Sukkot. I believe that as these holidays are frequently
family occasions, our thoughts often return to our roots, thinking
about the families from our past, contemplating about how these holidays
were celebrated a generation or so ago.

This, in my opinion, is where the Yizkor books come in, providing us
with an unparalleled insight into how, in the past, these holidays were
celebrated in the various communities. The Yizkor books, in addition,
provide us with unique information about all aspects of these
communities. The problem? The stories and the information in these books
are in languages not all of us know to read - mainly, Yiddish and Hebrew.
It is here that the Yizkor Book Project comes into play, unravelling the
text by translating it into English. Of course, we also translate into
other languages to also allow non-English readers access to this
material. This past month, for instance, we added in translations into
Hebrew of the Yiddish articles from the Przytyk Yizkor book, kindly
presented to us by Esther Weinschelbaum.

It should be noted that all the material in the Yizkor Book site is
made freely available worldwide but in order to undertake the
translations in the first place, we do need the financial support to
pay for their professional translation. We are continually looking for
such support in order to continue our mission and if you are able to
assist, to any degree, to one of Translation funds, a link is provided
at the end of this report to the list of projects. Your donation will
not only benefit you and your family but also so many others with roots
in the same communities.

And now for details of all the updates and additions that were carried
out in the Yizkor Book Project in September.

We have added in a two new books:

- Pan Kapitan of Jordanow
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Jordanow/Jordanow.html

- Sokolow Podalski, Poland (Jubilee Book: 40 years of Sokolvers
in Chicago)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Sokolowa_podlaski1/Sokolowa_podlaski1.html

And added in 3 new entries:

- Jordanow, Poland http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Jordanow/Jor001.html

- Przytyk, Poland (Przytyk Memorial Book)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Przytyk/Przytykh.html [Hebrew]

- Skole, Ukraine (Memorial book of Galicia)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/galicia4/gal314.html

And we have continued to update 22 of our existing projects:

- Belki, Ukraine (The Bilker Memorial Book)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/belki/belki.html

- Berehove, Ukraine (The Jews of Berehovo - Beregszasz in pictures)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Berehove/Berehove.html

- Biala Podlaska, Poland (Book of Biala Podlaska)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Biala_Podlaska/Biala_Podlaska.html

- Brody, Ukraine (An Eternal Light: Brody in Memoriam)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/brody/brody.html

- Capresti, Moldova (Kapresht, our village; memorial book for the
Jewish community of Kapresht, Bessarabia)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Capresti/Capresti.html

- Czestochowa, Poland (The Jews of Czestochowa)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Czestochowa1/Czestochowa1.html

- Dieveniskis, Lithuania (Devenishki book; memorial book)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/dieveniskes/dieveniskes.html

- Dubno, Ukraine (Dubno; a Memorial to the Jewish community of
Dubno, Wolyn) http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/dubno/dubno.html

- Kherson, Ukraine (Jewish Farmers in Russian Fields)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/JewishFarmers/JewishFarmers.html

- Kosava, Belarus (Memorial Book of Kosow Poleski)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Kosava/Kosava.html

- Krasnobrod, Poland (Krasnobrod; a Memorial to the Jewish community)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Krasnobrod/Krasnobrod.html

- Lenin, Belarus (The community of Lenin; memorial book)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/lenin/lenin.html

- Narach (Kobylnik), Belarus (Memorial Book of Kobylnik)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Kobylnik/Kobylnik.html

- Ozarow, Poland (Memories of Ozarow)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Ozarow/Ozarow.html

- Rafalovka, Ukraine (Memorial book for the towns of Old Rafalowka,
New Rafalowka, Olizarka, Zoludzk and vicinity)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/rafalovka/rafalovka.html

- Sarny, Ukraine (Memorial Book of the Community of Sarny)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/sarny/sarny.html

- Stryy, Ukraine (Book of Stryj)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/stryj2/stryj2.html

- Suwalki, Poland (Memorial book of Suvalk)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Suwalki1/Suwalki1.html

- Tarnow, Poland (The life and decline of a Jewish city)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/tarnow/tarnow.html

- Volodymyr Volynskyy, Ukraine (Wladimir Wolynsk; in memory of the
Jewish community) https://tinyurl.com/ydh3dmpz

- Voranava, Belarus (Voronovo: Memorial Book to the Martyrs of Voronovo)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/voronovo/voronovo.html

- Zelechow, Poland (Memorial book of the community of Zelechow)
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/zelechow/zelechow.html

Some important links to note:

- This month's additions and updates are flagged at
http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/translations.html
to make it easy to find them.
- All you would like to know about the Yizkor Books in Print Project
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/ybip.html
- Yizkor Book Translation Funds
http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen-erosity/v_projectslist.asp?project_cat=23
where your financial support will assist in seeing more translations go
online.

Sukkot Sameach/Happy Sukkot,
Lance Ackerfeld
Yizkor Book Project Manager
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.