Where is Bergen County Cemetery, Paterson, NJ-1923 burial

2 vues

Liz Scofield elizabethmscofield@gmail.com

non lue,
28 juil. 2016, 21:04:2828/07/2016
The 1923 NYC Certificate of Death for my grandfather, Lipman Neinken,
states that he was buried in Bergen County Cemetery, 3700 Ft. Hamilton
Parkway, Paterson, NJ, . The undertaker is listed as Albert M. Kasdan,
1699.

I've worked very hard, but cannot locate the cemetery. Any advice?

Thank you. Please reply privately.

Liz Scofield
elizabeth...@gmail.com
PA
conference sessions this year in Seattle, write to
regist...@IAJGS2016.org and include a day or evening phone number.

www.iajgs2016.org
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It’s an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.

Barbara S Mannlein bsmannlein@comcast.net

non lue,
29 juil. 2016, 23:28:5129/07/2016
Although the original poster asked for pvt replies, I am addressing this
to the group as others may have similar queries and made similar
missteps in their research.

1. I googled "Bergen County Cemetery, Paterson, NJ", hoping to find an
entry about the cemetery,
2. Then "3700 Ft. Hamilton Parkway, Paterson, NJ"

All the listings that come up concerned Brooklyn, New York streets.

3. Then it dawned on me: Paterson, NJ is in *Passaic County, *not* Bergen
County.

4. The info you gave said he was buried in Bergen County Cemetery, 3700
Ft. Hamilton. The transcription I saw on FS says only "Bargen Co Cem" and
gave no state.

Have you seen the a copy of the actual death certificate or a
transcription?

5. I googled the undertaker: Albert M Kasdan. A host of references
pop up. A man by that name was a member of the Union Temple in Brooklyn,
NY as late as 1968. The temple bulletin, which is online, cites its Member,
Martin D Kasdan of Boulevard-Riverside Chapels,800-522-0588, is the
temple's official Funeral Director.

I would do 2 things:

1. Contact the temple and/or Martin Kasdan. Ask them to check their
records for your GF's membership and burial. Their records may be
more complete than what the undertaker scrawled on the NYC form.

2. Get a copy of the death certificate: Order FHL film #2,031,947 from
your local FHL for $7.50 and when it comes, locate and make a copy of
certificate #15062. Or order it from NYC (15.00).

Please let the group know what your further searches reveal.

Barbara Mannlein
Tucson, Arizona

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Liz Scofield elizabeth...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> The 1923 NYC Certificate of Death for my grandfather, Lipman Neinken,
> states that he was buried in Bergen County Cemetery, 3700 Ft. Hamilton
> Parkway, Paterson, NJ, . The undertaker is listed as Albert M. Kasdan,
> 1699.

Vivian Kahn vkahn@kmort.com

non lue,
30 juil. 2016, 20:28:1930/07/2016
Paterson is in Passaic County, NJ, which is adjacent to Bergen County.
Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY, established in 1838, has a major
entrance gateway at Fort Hamilton Parkway and 37th Street. The
buildings at the Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance that were built in
1876-77 have been designated as a NYC landmark.

Given that the death certificate was issued in NYC, I suspect that your
grandfather is buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn and not in
either Passaic or Bergen County, New Jersey. I also suggest that you
contact Martin D. Kasdan of Boulevard-Riverside Chapels, 1895 Flatbush
Avenue, Brooklyn, who is Funeral Director of Union Temple in Brooklyn
and probably a descendant of Albert M. Kasdan, who was a funeral
director in Brooklyn in the early 20th century.

Vivian Kahn, Oakland, California
JewishGen Hungarian SIG Coordinator

> Subject: Where is Bergen County Cemetery, Paterson, NJ-1923 burial
> From: Elizabeth Scofield <elizabeth...@gmail.com>
> The 1923 NYC Certificate of Death for my grandfather, Lipman Neinken,
> states that he was buried in Bergen County Cemetery, 3700 Ft. Hamilton
> Parkway, Paterson, NJ, . ...
> I've worked very hard, but cannot locate the cemetery. Any advice?

Ann Rabinowitz arabinow@bellsouth.net

non lue,
30 juil. 2016, 20:34:3130/07/2016
Another resource to use when looking for locations such as 3700 Fort
Hamilton Parkway is one of the many location sites. I used
showmystreet.com When I plugged in the address, I found a cemetery
in Brooklyn pop up not one in Paterson, NJ. It is Greenwood Cemetery
and it has an online database which can be used to look up burials.

When plugging in the name of the original posters relative, NEINKEN,
it doesn't appear. However, one note for the cemetery is that not
all burials are presently in the database, so contacting the cemetery
could be done.

Further searching in the resources suggested in a prior response to
this inquiry might bring up clearer info on the burial.

Despite there not being a 3700 Fort Hamilton Parkway in Paterson, NJ,
the town does have an Alexander Hamilton connection as Alexander
Hamilton, George Washington and General Lafayette had a picnic at the
Great Falls. There is also a Hamilton Avenue.

Ann Rabinowitz

Adelle Weintraub Gloger AGloger@aol.com

non lue,
30 juil. 2016, 20:36:4930/07/2016
wrote:
< The 1923 NYC Certificate of Death for my grandfather, Lipman NEINKEN,
< states that he was buried in Bergen County Cemetery, 3700 Ft. Hamilton
< Parkway, Paterson, NJ, . The undertaker is listed as Albert M. Kasdan,"

Findagrave.com has a death for Lipman Neinken's son who died at age 14
years in 1896. There is a photo of the grave. This was the info:

Max Neinken
Death: Sept. 4, 1896
Inscription:

here lies
the dear fellow
Meir Gershon
bar
Lipman Neinken
died 26 Elul 5656

Burial:

Congregation B'nai Israel Cemetery
Saddle Brook
Bergen County
New Jersey, USA

If Lipman Neinken's son is buried in this cemetery, perhaps he is also.
There is a sign at the cemetery that indicates that the JFNJ is
responsible for cemetery. There is a phone# 973-784-3746

Hope this helps to locate Lipman Neinken's burial.

Adelle Weintraub Gloger
Cleveland, Ohio
0 nouveau message