Progress on Bessarabia Cemetery projects, June, 2017

Yefim A Kogan yefimk@verizon.net

Jun 11, 2017, 11:07:08 PM6/11/17
Dear Researchers,

You may see the list of Jewish cemeteries in Bessarabia/Moldova at the
Bessarabia SIG Website, Cemetery section:
www.jewishgen.org/Bessarabia/Cemetery.html

Also this month JOWBR updated the database with new Bessarabia cemeteries.
According to JOWBR we have now in Moldova 45 cemeteries with 44,709 burial
records and in Ukraine/Bessarabia - 8 cemeteries with 4,397 burials!
**We have indexed** and photographed 53! Cemeteries and have almost 50,000
burial records! I want to thank the army of translators for their great
job! Also thanks to all who donated money.

Here are a number of project we recently completed, and some we are working
on:

- Bolgrad (Ukraine) Jewish Cemetery - completed
- Faleshti Old Jewish Cemetery - completed
- Bessarabeska Jewish Cemetery, Old section - completed
- Tatarbunar Jewish Cemetery (ONE standing stone) - completed

- Artcyz (Ukraine) Jewish Cemetery - in progress
- Otaki Jewish Cemetery - in progress
- Rashkov - in progress
- Akkerman (Belgorod-Dnestrovskiy) got photos, first reading in progress

- Sarata - Jewish burials were found at the town cemetery, but we found
also an old Jewish Cemetery, and photographer went there and found only
pieces of broken stones, not even one standing stone! We have a German map
with the location of the cemetery, but unfortunately we are too late.

- Gershunovka - photograph was there and did not find the cemetery because
it is overgrown, and need to clean it up first
- Slobodzia - photograph was there and did not find the cemetery
- Rashkov has a second (OLD) cemetery and photographer was there and made
the photos
- Tsibulevka - photographer found a cemetery in the agricultural field, but
was not able to photograph because of a rain.

- Reni - photographer will go there later this year
- Vertuzheni - planning to photograph in 2017
- Zguritsa - planning to photograph in 2017
- Klishkivtsi, Novoselitsa - planning to photograph in 2017

We need your help in translation from Russian and Hebrew.
We need your help in organizing a new cemetery project.

For all these new trips we need to collect donations!

As I pointed many times, the cemetery projects are very important and
urgent. The monuments disappear, the inscriptions became less readable as
we speak, most of the cemeteries do not have any caretakers. If we will not
at least preserve the tombstones in the photographs, in 20 years, there will
not much to see, visit and put stones on. See
www.jewishgen.org/Bessarabia/files/cemetery/TombstonesDisappearing.pdf

If you know about a cemetery, which is **not** on our list (see above link),
please let us know about it.

If the cemetery you are interested was not yet photographed or/and indexed,
you can initiate a new project by collecting about 30% of the cost among
your connections and friends. Email me if you are interested.

If you would like to get a whole list of people buried in a cemetery - for
donation of $100 to Bessarabia-Moldova Cemetery Project, we will send you
the whole list when it is done , before the list is available at JOWBR. If
you find your relatives buried there, we will also send you photos if
available.

We also need to think about **restoration**, cleaning projects, because on many
cemeteries without restoration we cannot get all the records into JOWBR! We
have to do **restoration** in Briceni and Ataki, Leovo and Hincheshti, and many
more. If you are interested to lead such endeavor, let me know.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yefim Kogan
Bessarabia SIG Coordinator
Researching KOGAN, SPIVAK, KHAYMOVICH, SRULEVICH, LEVIT in Kaushany,
Bendery, Tarutino, Akkerman, Kiliya - all in Bessarabia, KHAIMOVICH in
Galatz, Romania, KOGAN in Dubossary, Moldova, SRULEVICH in Shanghai, China
Join JewishGen at the 37th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy from 23–28 July 2017 at the Disney World
Swan Resort, Orlando, Florida. 300 lectures, workshops, SIG
meetings, luncheons and films. Online databases, networking,
and mentoring from experts. Live! web streaming of over 60
featured lectures available. For details, visit IAJGS2017.org
Jewishgen receiving a commission.
It's an easy way to help JewishGen!
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
content may not be consistently carried in its entirety by all providers.