Cork: is it hopeless?

瀏覽次數:8 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Remove the x from email address

未讀,
2006年5月25日 清晨6:33:182006/5/25
收件者:
I am going to Ireland in September and now would seem an appropriate
time to try to get my sole Irish ancestor out of the "too hard"
basket. I have the usual problem...a lack of in formation.

Rebecca Field, a 15 year old housemaid, came from Cork to Sydney as an
unaccompanied passenger on the female emigrant ship "Red Rover" in
1832. Her religion was not given but during her life in New South
Wales she was C of E. She gave her age as 23 when she married in 1833.
She died in 1889 aged 78. Her death certificate, with her daughter as
informant, stated that she was born in Cork, had been in New South
Wales for 57 years and that her father was Thomas Field, a gentleman
(stop laughing) and her mother was Rebecca Field.

My enquiries reveal that many of the girls on that ship were from the
foundling hospital in Cork which was the forerunner of the House of
Industry. The records of this institution only seem to be available
post 1838. It may be that she wasn't from there in any event. The
reference to Cork could be either to the city or the county. It all
seems pretty hopeless from here but I would welcome any comments or
suggestions from members of the group.

Cheers
Ross, Sydney

Cornelia

未讀,
2006年5月25日 上午8:10:342006/5/25
收件者:
Response from a Certified Genealogist:

I recommend that you go to the following website:
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy/centres.htm

Genealogy: County-based genealogy centres
The county-based genealogical centres listed below hold indexes of
parish registers for the whole of their county unless otherwise
indicated, while some also hold indexes of other genealogical sources.
The centres provide a research service based on the indexes they hold
but do not normally allow members of the public direct access to them.
N.B. The National Archives does not accept any responsibility for
either the work done or the charges made by the centres listed below.
Should there be changes in any of the details below, please contact the
National Archives at ma...@nationalarchives.ie

Useful genealogical sources
Census returns
Parochial records and marriage licences
Crown and Peace records
Estate records
Private sources
Tithe Applotment books and Primary (Griffith) Valuation
Wills and testamentary records
Transportation records

ANTRIM
Ulster Historical Foundation,
Balmoral Buildings,
12 College Square East,
Belfast,
Co. Antrim,
BT1 6DD,
Northern Ireland.
Tel: + 44 (0)28 9033 2288
Fax: + 44 (0)28 9023 9885
Email: enq...@uhf.org.uk
Web: www.ancestryireland.co.uk

ARMAGH
Armagh Ancestry,
38a English St.,
Armagh,
Co. Armagh,
BT61 7BA,
Northern Ireland.
Tel: + 44 (0)28 3752 1802
Fax: + 44 (0)28 3751 0180
Email: ance...@armagh.gov.uk
Web: www.armagh.gov.uk

CARLOW
Please use the following address in...@irishgenealogy.ie until the new
address is confirmed

CAVAN
Cavan Genealogy,
Cana House,
Farnham St.,
Cavan Town,
Co. Cavan.
Tel: + 353 (0)49 4361094
Fax: + 353 (0)49 4331494
Email: cana...@iol.ie

CLARE
Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre,
Church St.,
Corofin,
Co. Clare.
Tel: + 353 (0)65 6837955
Fax: + 353 (0)65 6837540
Email: clareh...@eircom.net
Web: www.clareroots.com

The Lisdoonvarna Archive
www.lisdoonvarna.homestead.com/Lisdoonvarna.html

CORK
Cork City Ancestral Project,
c/o County Library,
Model Farm Rd.,
Cork City.
Tel: + 353 (0)21 4346435
Email: corkan...@ireland.com

Mallow Heritage Centre,
27-28 Bank Place,
Mallow,
Co. Cork.
Tel: + 353 (0)22 50302
Fax: + 353 (0)22 20276
Email: mall...@eircom.net
Web: www.irishroots.net

DERRY/LONDONDERRY
Derry Genealogy Centre,
14 Bishop St,
Derry City,
Co. Derry,
BT48 6PW,
Northern Ireland.
Tel: + 44 (0)28 7126 9792
Fax: + 44 (0)28 7136 0921
Web: www.irishroots.net

DOWN
Ulster Historical Foundation,
Balmoral Buildings,
12 College Square East,
Belfast,
Co. Antrim,
BT1 6DD,
Northern Ireland.
Tel: + 44 (0)28 9033 2288
Fax: + 44 (0)28 9023 9885
Email: enq...@uhf.org.uk
Web: www.ancestryireland.co.uk

DONEGAL
Donegal Ancestry Centre,
The Quay,
Ramelton,
Co. Donegal.
Tel: + 353 (0)74 9151266
Fax: + 353 (0)74 9151702
Email: in...@donegalancestry.com
Web: www.donegalancestry.com

DUBLIN
Dun Laoghaire Heritage Society,
Moran Park House,
Marine Parade,
Dun Laoghaire,
Co. Dublin.
Tel: + 353 (0)1 2047264
Email: heri...@dlrcoco.ie

Fingal Genealogy,
Carnegie Library,
North St.,
Swords,
Co. Dublin.
Tel/Fax: + 353 (0)1 8400080
Email: swordsh...@eircom.net

FERMANAGH
Irish World,
51 Dungannon Rd.,
Coalisland,
Co. Tyrone,
BT71 4HP,
Northern Ireland.
Tel/Fax: + 44 (0)28 8774 6065
Email: in...@irish-world.com
Web: www.irish-world.com

GALWAY
East Galway Family History Society,
Woodford Heritage Centre,
Woodford,
Co. Galway.
Tel: + 353 (0)509 49309
Fax: + 353 (0)509 49546
Email: galwa...@eircom.net
Web: www.galwayroots.com

West Galway Family History Society,
Unit 3,
Liosbaun Estate,
Tuam Road,
Galway City.
Tel/Fax: + 353 (0)91 756737
Email: galway...@eircom.net
Web: www.irishroots.net

KERRY
This centre is not functioning at present

KILDARE
Kildare History and Family Research Centre,
Riverbank,
Main St.,
Newbridge,
Co. Kildare.
Tel: + 353 (0)45 433602
Fax: + 353 (0)45 431611
Email: kildareg...@iol.ie
Web: www.kildare.ie/genealogy

KILKENNY
Rothe House,
Parliament St.,
Kilkenny City,
Co. Kilkenny.
Tel: + 353 (0)56 7722893
Email: rothe...@eircom.net
Web: www.kilkennyarchaeologicalsociety.ie

LAOIS
Irish Midlands Ancestry,
Bury Quay,
Tullamore,
Co. Offaly.
Tel/Fax: + 353 (0)506 21421
Email: oh...@iol.ie
Web: www.irishmidlandsancestry.com

LEITRIM
Leitrim Genealogy Centre,
County Library,
Ballinamore,
Co. Leitrim.
Tel: + 353 (0)71 9644012
Fax: + 353 (0)71 9644425
Email: leitrimg...@eircom.net

LIMERICK
This centre is not functioning at present

LONGFORD
Longford Genealogy Centre,
1 Church St.,
Longford Town,
Co. Longford.
Tel: + 353 (0)43 41235
Fax: + 353 (0)43 41279
Email: long...@iol.ie
Web: www.longfordroots.com

LOUTH
Louth County Library,
Roden Place,
Dundalk,
Co. Louth.
Tel: + 353 (0)42 9353190
Fax: + 353 (0)42 9337635
Email: referenc...@louthcoco.ie
Web: www.louthcoco.ie

MAYO
Mayo North Family History Centre,
Enniscoe,
Castle Hill,
Ballina,
Co. Mayo.
Tel: + 353 (0)96 31809
Fax: + 353 (0)96 31885
Email: nor...@iol.ie
Web: www.mayo.irish-roots.net

South Mayo Family Research Centre,
Main St.,
Ballinrobe,
Co. Mayo.
Tel/Fax: + 353 (0)94 9541214
Email: sou...@iol.ie
Web: www.mayo.irish-roots.net

MEATH
Meath Heritage and Genealogy Centre,
Town Hall,
Castle Street,
Trim,
Co. Meath.
Tel: + 353 (0)46 9436633
Fax: + 353 (0)46 9437502
Email: mea...@iol.ie
Web: www.irishroots.net

MONAGHAN
Monaghan Ancestry,
6 Tully St.,
Monaghan Town,
Co. Monaghan.
Tel: + 353 (0)87 6310360
Email: monaghan...@eircom.net

OFFALY
Irish Midlands Ancestry,
Bury Quay,
Tullamore,
Co. Offaly.
Tel/Fax: + 353 (0)506 21421
Email: oh...@iol.ie
Web: www.irishmidlandsancestry.com

ROSCOMMON
Roscommon Heritage and Genealogy Society,
Church St.,
Strokestown,
Co. Roscommon.
Tel: + 353 (0)71 9633380
Fax: + 353 (0)71 9633398
Email: in...@roscommonroots.com
Web: www.roscommonroots.com

SLIGO
Sligo Heritage and Genealogical Centre,
Áras Reddan,
Temple St.,
Sligo Town,
Co. Sligo.
Tel: + 353 (0)71 9143728
Fax: + 353 (0)71 9135146
Email: in...@sligoroots.com
Web: www.sligoroots.com

TIPPERARY
Tipperary North Family History Research Centre,
The Governor's House,
Kickham St.,
Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary.
Tel: + 353 (0)67 33850
Fax: + 353 (0)67 33586
Email: tippnorth...@eircom.net
Web: www.irishroots.net/NTipp.htm

Tipperary South,
Brú Ború Cultural Centre,
Rock of Cashel,
Cashel,
Co. Tipperary.
Tel: + 353 (0)62 61122
Fax: + 353 (0)62 62700
Email: bru...@comhaltas.com
Web: www.comhaltas.com

Tipperary Family History Research,
Excel Heritage Centre,
Mitchell St.,
Tipperary Town,
Co. Tipperary.
Tel: + 353 (0)62 80555/6
Fax: + 353 (0)62 80552
Email: research@tfhr
Web: www.tfhr.org

TYRONE
Irish World,
51 Dungannon Rd.,
Coalisland,
Co. Tyrone,
BT71 4HP,
Northern Ireland.
Tel/Fax: + 44 (0)28 8774 6065
Email: in...@irish-world.com
Web: www.irish-world.com

WATERFORD
Waterford Heritage Services,
St Patrick's Church,
Jenkin's Lane,
Waterford City.
Tel: + 353 (0)51 876123
Fax: + 353 (0)51 850645
Email: mn...@iol.ie
Web: www.waterford-heritage.ie

WESTMEATH
Dun na Sí Heritage Centre,
Knockdomney,
Moate,
Co. Westmeath.
Tel: + 353 (0)90 6481183
Fax: + 353 (0)90 6481661
Email: dunnas...@tinet.ie
Web: www.irishroots.net

WEXFORD
County Wexford Heritage and Genealogy Centre,
Yola Farmstead,
Tagoat,
Rosslare,
Co. Wexford.
Tel: + 353 (0)53 32611
Fax: + 353 (0)53 32612
Email: wex...@iol.ie
Web: www.homepage.eircom.net/~yolawexford

WICKLOW
Wicklow Family History Centre,
Wicklow's Historic Gaol,
Kilmantin Hill,
Wicklow Town,
Co. Wicklow.
Tel: + 353 (0)404 20126
Fax: + 353 (0)404 61612
Email: w...@eircom.net
Web: www.irish-roots.net/Wicklow.htm

Dennis Ahern

未讀,
2006年5月25日 上午8:40:582006/5/25
收件者:
Remove the x from email address <anu...@zip.com.aux> wrote:

: Rebecca Field, a 15 year old housemaid, came from Cork to Sydney as an

: unaccompanied passenger on the female emigrant ship "Red Rover" in
: 1832. Her religion was not given but during her life in New South
: Wales she was C of E. She gave her age as 23 when she married in 1833.
: She died in 1889 aged 78. Her death certificate, with her daughter as
: informant, stated that she was born in Cork, had been in New South
: Wales for 57 years and that her father was Thomas Field, a gentleman
: (stop laughing) and her mother was Rebecca Field.

Cork is the largest county in Ireland. Unfortunately, the Mallow Heritage
Centre only covers the Diocese of Cloyne. But I think it would be worth
your while to write to them as soon as possible and have them do a search
for any children born to a Thomas and Rebecca Field. Their Church of
Ireland parish records start from 1780. If her father was considered a
gentleman there may be mention of her birth in a Cork newspaper, but it
would likely say no more than "to the lady of Thomas Field, a daughter".
Such a terse statement does not provide you with much genealogical data.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlmahs/mherit.htm has a list of parish records
indexed at the Mallow Heritage Centre.

See: http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Geneal/Cork.htm
Cork Family Heritage Centres computerizing parish records
Provides search service for a fee
See http://tiara.ie/results.htm for customer comments

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/munster/index_co.htm
Cork sources for genealogy

http://www.sci.net.au/userpages/mgrogan/cork/ire.cork.htm
Searchable Pages for County Cork

http://www.corkcorp.ie/ourservices/rac/archives/
Cork Archives Institute

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlcor/
County Cork GenWeb

http://tiara.ie/cork.html
Local historical societies in County Cork

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chasoc/index.html
Cork Historical & Archaeological Society

http://www.skibbheritage.com/index.htm
Skibbereen Heritage Centre

http://www.4qd.org/youghal/
Youghal Genealogy

http://www.ginnisw.com/Cork%20Landowners%201876/Thumb/Thumbs1.htm
Landowners in County Cork 1876

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/guy.htm
Guy's Postal Directory 1914 for County Cork

http://www.execpc.com/~mcarthey/Irish%20Ancestors/IA-Estate%20records.html
Estate Records of County Cork

http://www.corkcorp.ie/ourservices/rac/library/
Cork City Library

http://www.henneberry.org/data/corkparishes.htm
Parishes of County Cork

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4889/civil.html
The Civil and Catholic Parishes of County Cork

http://www.execpc.com/~mcarthey/Irish%20Ancestors/IA-Church%20records.html
Roman Catholic Church Records for County Cork

http://www.cork.anglican.org/Genealogical%20stuff/Cobhgen.html
Church of Ireland Parishes of County Cork

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/county/cork.html
County Cork Genealogy Links

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irish/igsi_published/casey.htm
Casey bibliography of North Cork; "O'Kief, Coshe Mang,
Slieve Lougher and the Upper Blackwater"

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tbreen/Journals/Cork.html
Journal of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Society

http://www.foundmark.com/Ireland/lists/DownMap/BigMap.JPG
Map of Cork County

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hanson/mapindex.html
Civil Parish Maps of County Cork

http://www.corkcorp.ie/maps/
Detailed Street Map of Cork City

http://www.sci.net.au/userpages/mgrogan/cork/cork_map1.htm
Baronies of County Cork

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~aocoleman/
Cork Genealogical Society

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/eire/cork_city.html
Cork City Library Family History Resources

http://www.corkandross.org/
Diocese of Cork & Ross

http://www.sci.net.au/userpages/mgrogan/cork/cork_map2.htm
Map of the Diocese of Cork and Ross

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~colin/Ireland/CorkGraveyards.htm
Graveyards of County Cork

http://www.askaboutireland.com/pilots/four/index_main.html
Estate Papers of County Cork

http://www.cork.anglican.org/Parishes_overview.htm
Church of Ireland parish registers database for County Cork

http://www.duchasresearch.com/index.html
Dúchas Family History Services (Tom O'Leary in Clonakilty)

Irs...@aol.com

未讀,
2006年5月25日 下午1:44:312006/5/25
收件者:
Response from a 26 year genealogist! :D
With vital records beginning so late (1864) and church records difficult at
best, finding resources to search is a problem all by itself.
Richard Hayes, then head of the National Library, commissioned a study on
manuscripts in Ireland. No boundaries were given re time, place, or holder of
the manuscript. The result was an 11 volume set of indexes which are
available to you now through the LDS Library. Film numbers are as follows:
Vols 1-2 Surname Index LDS film 1440939
Vols 3-4 Surname Index 1440940
Vols 5-6 Subject Index 1440941
Vols 7-8 Place Index 1440941 and 1440942
Vol. 9 & 10 Date Index 1440942 and 1440943
Vols ll Manuscripts 1440943
First Supplement (includes some of all of the above) LDS film # 0994079

Prior to the official records as I mentioned above, resources are found in
smaller groups of papers that weren't created for genealogical purpooses. They
just work that way. :D Records that are held by the National Library are
given a simple reference number. Records held elsewhere in Ireland, show a
reference number along with the holder of the record. With that information
you can check the LDS Libraary to see if that manuscrfipt has been filmed.
It's been my experience that prior to 1864 you can't run down a list of
resources that will give your townland, a range of dates that fit what you're
looking for, and request the record. Pretty much you have to find a record
created (for whatever purpose) that might cover the area of interest and appears to
cover the time period you're researching. You can find pure gold this way,
but not easily.
Linda
Manager
Genealogyforum.org
Irish and Scot chat host

Remove the x from email address

未讀,
2006年5月29日 清晨6:10:352006/5/29
收件者:
My thanks to all who replied to my query. I feel that I now have a
better idea of just how to proceed and if I don't find Rebecca it
won't be for want of trying.

Dennis, I think you must have been a schoolteacher in a former life.
All that homework! I spent an afternoon just browsing the links you
supplied without doing anything serious. If you see this could you
just answer one more question? I am thinking in the first instant of
writing off to both Mallow Heritage Centre and Duchas. Would this be
doubling up?

Cheers
Ross, Sydney

James A Honeychuck

未讀,
2006年5月29日 清晨7:18:222006/5/29
收件者:

Duchas has access to a lot of information, possibly including what the
Mallow Heritage Centre has. Suggest you ask Duchas.

Jim

Dennis Ahern

未讀,
2006年5月29日 上午8:35:462006/5/29
收件者:
Remove the x from email address <anu...@zip.com.aux> wrote:

: Dennis, I think you must have been a schoolteacher in a former life.

: All that homework! I spent an afternoon just browsing the links you

I'm not sure what I may have been in a former life, but as a student I
could be counted on to wait until a paper was due before doing my homework.

: supplied without doing anything serious. If you see this could you

: just answer one more question? I am thinking in the first instant of
: writing off to both Mallow Heritage Centre and Duchas. Would this be
: doubling up?

I don't think it would be doubling up. The Mallow Heritage Centre only
covers the Diocese of Cloyne. I do not have any experience or knowledge
of the service provided by Duchas. I only know of them through their
website, but the fact that they are locate in Skibbereen, which is in the
Diocese of Cork & Ross, suggests they may have resources not available to
Mallow. As for do-it-yourself parish records on microfilm at the National
Library in Dublin, the films for the Diocese of Cloyne currently require a
letter of permission from the Bishop, which you can get by writing in
advance. That way you will have your hands free once you get to Ireland to
follow up on anything you've gotten from Mallow that you think may be
worth digging deeper. The films for the Diocese of Cork & Ross are not
restricted. See http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlmahs/mherit.htm for what, to
the best of my knowledge, is the current state of Mallow's indexes.

-dja

philandjenny

未讀,
2006年5月30日 凌晨4:21:182006/5/30
收件者:
To Cornelia and Dennis Ahern
Many thanks for all the information you furnished re Cork
records.....I've got a couple of ancestors from Cork and was unsure how to
go about trying to track down any traces of them....this should help .
Cheers
Phil

Remove the x from email address

未讀,
2006年5月30日 清晨7:09:172006/5/30
收件者:
Many thanks Dennis and Jim. I shall go boldly forth unto both Mallow
and Duchas and keep the digits crossed.

Cheers
Ross, Sydney

B2D...@gmail.com

未讀,
2006年6月1日 晚上8:08:492006/6/1
收件者:

Hi Ross, In the mid 1850's there are a couple of Thomas Field's
recorded in Cork. Did the parents stay behind? They are in Inniscara
and Curraheen....both of which are near me. I suppose you have to find
out for sure if they were Anglican or R. Catholic. You could google
Church of Ireland and look through parishes to see what was
covered...... Just take it from there really. Not that promising I know
but still....you never know. All the best, Kevin, Co Cork

Maire

未讀,
2006年6月2日 凌晨3:56:272006/6/2
收件者:
Dennis Ahern <ah...@world.std.com> wrote:

Not relevant to this thread, but what Diocese does Baltimore come into
please? Where would I find any relevant records? Looking for a Jeremiah
O' Brien born 1840 in (I think) Baltimore.

Maire Black

Dennis Ahern

未讀,
2006年6月2日 上午8:42:542006/6/2
收件者:
Maire <mbni...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

: Not relevant to this thread, but what Diocese does Baltimore come into

: please? Where would I find any relevant records? Looking for a Jeremiah
: O' Brien born 1840 in (I think) Baltimore.

It's quite relevant to this thread, as Baltimore is in West Cork, which
might be dismissed as the most hopeless area for genealogists in Cork.
Baltimore is 13 kilometres southwest of Skibbereen on the R595. This would
put it in the Diocese of Cork & Ross.

See: http://www.sci.net.au/userpages/mgrogan/cork/cork_map3.htm
Diocesan boundaries in County Cork

http://www.skibbheritage.com/index.htm
Skibbereen Heritage Centre

-dja

Maire

未讀,
2006年6月3日 凌晨3:14:392006/6/3
收件者:
Dennis Ahern <ah...@world.std.com> wrote:

Thanks for this.

Jeremiah O' Brien was a coastguard. In the 1861 English census he's
found on a ship, and gives his birthplace as Baltimore. But his official
service record (from the English National Archives site) says he was
born in Rathmullen, Cork. I don't think there is a Rathmullen in Cork,
is there? There is one in Donegal. I think this must be a mistake as
most of his later service was in Donegal. I would love to hear of any
placename resembling Rathmullen in Cork.

Maire Black

Dennis Ahern

未讀,
2006年6月3日 上午10:39:502006/6/3
收件者:
Maire <mbni...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

: Jeremiah O' Brien was a coastguard. In the 1861 English census he's

See: http://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/
Coastguards of Yesteryear

http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/Coastguards/index.html
British Coastguards 1841-1901

Maire

未讀,
2006年6月4日 清晨7:17:292006/6/4
收件者:
Dennis Ahern <ah...@world.std.com> wrote:

Thanks. I had found him in the second list, but it doesn't give any
additional information. I think I'm going to have to go to Kew. Will be
a nice break anyway.

Maire

0 則新訊息