Looking for Legacy 8 Deluxe registration data

R S H

Nov 16, 2014, 2:16:06 PM11/16/14
My pension money is tight, so asking for required data to get deluxe features to run.

TIA

john

Nov 16, 2014, 2:38:57 PM11/16/14
On 16/11/2014 20:16, R S H wrote:
> My pension money is tight, so asking for required data to get deluxe features to run.
>
> TIA

I costs $29.95 to buy a licence and less as an upgrade if you already
have Legacy 7.0 Deluxe

new purchase
http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=L8D

upgrade http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=271

I see from earlier posts you already use FTM and Brother's Keeper and
already have 13,000+ names in your database. why don't they satisfy your
needs?

What additional features does Legacy 8 Deluxe have that you need (or
even TMG 9 which it looks as though you hoped to get for free in
September 2014)?

R S H

Nov 16, 2014, 5:53:33 PM11/16/14
The only features I am interested in re Legacy 8 Deluxe are those related to error messages that result in 'only available in the Deluxe
version' and to the program's handling of media. I am not certain that there is much else in the Deluxe version that is of great interest,
but without testing it I have no idea..

As you point out, I do not NEED Legacy 8 Deluxe, so therefore I do not want to spend my pension money on it... That too is why I am not
subscribed to Ancestry, which I was subscribed to in the past, and found has vitually nothing on the part of the world my family and my
wife's family comes from... parts of Germany, Austria, Poland and Russia. As a result I tend to use Family Search to find documents that I
download to my computer as images, etc.

My main programs are indeed Brother's Keeper (which I bought back in the 1990s) and FTM 2014 (which I also bought). I am now also trying out
Ahnenblatt, which is freeware, as I like to see what the different products offer. None are perfect, and each has its own flavour of Gedcom
export and import, which in many instances violate the real Gedcom rules. That is also what makes it tricky to use more than one program,.
so I keep looking and complaining when programs do NOT follow rules or make sense in how they handle importing when it is not to their
particular rule.

I managed program testing at a Canadian bank years ago, and trained people in how to test programs and systems, and how to document and
report inconsistencies and issues, as well as outright errors, .I will continue to try to test programs such as Legacy 8 Deluxe, yet likely
will NOT keep it and therefore do not want to buy it, but I do want to test it to see what they claim the Deluxe version does that is not
found in other software.

Likely more than you wanted to know, but so it goes. Right now I am at 14,777 individuals, incidentally, and will need to join Ancestry for
a free [2 weeks] membership to obtain some of about 1000 missing media files that supposedly are on Ancestry and were in Gedcoms supplied to
me by others that link into my family. That will wait a while, however...

RsH

Ian Goddard

Nov 16, 2014, 6:25:07 PM11/16/14
On 16/11/14 22:53, R S H wrote:
%><
> I managed program testing at a Canadian bank years ago, and trained people in how to test programs and systems, and how to document and
> report inconsistencies and issues, as well as outright errors, .I will continue to try to test programs such as Legacy 8 Deluxe, yet likely
> will NOT keep it and therefore do not want to buy it, but I do want to test it to see what they claim the Deluxe version does that is not
> found in other software.

Why not offer your services to Legacy as a tester?

Incidentally a quick look at the DeLuxe feature list suggests there may
be some duplication or at least overlap there: two relationship
calculators and two US county verifiers caught my eye.

--
Ian

The Hotmail address is my spam-bin. Real mail address is iang
at austonley org uk

john

Nov 17, 2014, 7:50:28 AM11/17/14
On 16/11/2014 23:53, R S H wrote:

big snip

> I managed program testing at a Canadian bank years ago, and trained
> people in how to test programs and systems, and how to document and
> report inconsistencies and issues, as well as outright errors, .I
> will continue to try to test programs such as Legacy 8 Deluxe, yet
> likely will NOT keep it and therefore do not want to buy it, but I do
> want to test it to see what they claim the Deluxe version does that
> is not found in other software.
>
> Likely more than you wanted to know, but so it goes. Right now I am
> at 14,777 individuals, incidentally, and will need to join Ancestry
> for a free [2 weeks] membership to obtain some of about 1000 missing
> media files that supposedly are on Ancestry and were in Gedcoms
> supplied to me by others that link into my family. That will wait a
> while, however...
>
> RsH

Where are these genealogy software testing results being published?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 17, 2014, 10:50:40 AM11/17/14
>On 16/11/2014 23:53, R S H wrote:

>> I will continue to try to test programs such as Legacy 8 Deluxe, yet
>> likely will NOT keep it and therefore do not want to buy it, but I do
>> want to test it to see what they claim the Deluxe version does that
>> is not found in other software.

I am a longtime user of Legacy - before that it was Family
Origins/Roots Magic. Until a few years ago I tested every available
Windows OS genealogy program regardless of cost.

The program I use, and probably what others use, is the program that
does what I/they want it to do best. Legacy is better than RM in some
features but not in others.

I like the screens and navigation in Legacy. I don't like the warnings
- too many that don't matter. RM is faster. Overall it does everything
else I want it to do as well as other programs.

Hugh

Steve Hayes

Nov 17, 2014, 11:47:50 PM11/17/14
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:50:38 GMT, Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan)
wrote:
Agreed. RootsMagic loads in half the time that Legacy does, but Legacy is
easier to navigate when it has loaded.

I use Legacy for for finished tree (almost certain connections), and RM for
rough & ready research, speculative connections etc.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 18, 2014, 8:19:22 AM11/18/14
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 06:51:56 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:50:38 GMT, Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan)
>wrote:

>>I am a longtime user of Legacy - before that it was Family
>>Origins/Roots Magic. Until a few years ago I tested every available
>>Windows OS genealogy program regardless of cost.
>>
>>The program I use, and probably what others use, is the program that
>>does what I/they want it to do best. Legacy is better than RM in some
>>features but not in others.
>>
>>I like the screens and navigation in Legacy. I don't like the warnings
>>- too many that don't matter. RM is faster. Overall it does everything
>>else I want it to do as well as other programs.
>
>Agreed. RootsMagic loads in half the time that Legacy does, but Legacy is
>easier to navigate when it has loaded.
>
>I use Legacy for for finished tree (almost certain connections), and RM for
>rough & ready research, speculative connections etc.

I used both, and kept them updated, for years. Each has desirable
qualities that distinguish it from the other. But exchanging GEDs
between them is not absolutely precise - name sourcing is an example.

Considering price and results I believe the two programs are unmatched
for genealogy. And both have large well-informed user groups.

Printing trees has become less important to me. Once you have a few
thousand people in the data base it takes a lot of time, paper and ink
to generate hard copy.

Hugh