DIGGER CDS TO HARD DRIVE - please help

dim...@alphalink.com.au

Mar 18, 2015, 12:19:15 AM3/18/15
Hi all,

A long time ago before I had a brain back in 2009, Paul Blair provided help in installing the Digger discs to the hard drive. Well, I need that help again Paul - I have dedicated a computer with XP on it for just this purpose.

I hope you still have the instructions.

Cheers,
Di

Charlie Hoffpauir

Mar 18, 2015, 12:32:19 PM3/18/15
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:19:14 -0700 (PDT), dim...@alphalink.com.au
wrote:
Just in case Paul isn't still following this group, could you tell the
rest of us a bit more about the "digger discs". Are they data that you
can read directly, or they some kind of proprietary discs? Have you
tried simply copying the files to a folder on your hard drive? If
proprietary, a third party software like Daemon Tools Lite will let
you mount an image of the CD (disc) as a volume on your computer.

Charlie Hoffpauir

Mar 18, 2015, 12:36:10 PM3/18/15
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:19:14 -0700 (PDT), dim...@alphalink.com.au
wrote:

I looked back and found what Paul wrote back in 2006, maybe this will
help:

I installed (Victorian) Digger software to see whether it worked OK,
and
it did - without a hitch. In fact, I copied the Digger folder off an
older drive (all the CDs are on my hard drive), then just did setup
from
my last disk, the Vic marriages 1921-1942. Make an icon on the
desktop,
and bingo.

dim...@alphalink.com.au

Mar 18, 2015, 8:31:03 PM3/18/15
Hello Charlie,
Thanks for your replies.

The Digger CDs are the Victorian Births/Deaths/Marriages from 1836 to 1942 which can be accessed by just installing some files onto the HD, then inserting each individual disc to access it. I want to actually load the WHOLE CD onto the HD so that I don't have to keep changing discs to find the info I want.

Di

Tom Perrett

Mar 18, 2015, 11:40:40 PM3/18/15
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:19:14 -0700 (PDT), dim...@alphalink.com.au wrote:

Hi,

I found this old message in the archives, bit different from how I remember
Paul said to do it, but try it anyway.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/2011-05/1306630952

dim...@alphalink.com.au

Mar 19, 2015, 12:11:33 AM3/19/15
Hello Tom,

Many thanks for the link. I have copied and printed it out and will give it a try.
Cheers,
Di