Database of countries

Richard Smith

Mar 21, 2016, 11:27:21 AM3/21/16

Is anyone aware of permissively licensed database of countries that
includes both former countries (e.g. Prussia) and unrecognised countries
(e.g. Transnistria).

Richard

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 21, 2016, 2:32:49 PM3/21/16
For stamp collecting purposes I Googled for extinct countries. But it
probably only listed those that used stamps for postage at some point.

Hugh

Tony Proctor

Mar 22, 2016, 8:12:34 AM3/22/16
I've never found a database, or any sort of standard mnemonics, for former
countries and territories Richard. I've so far relied on sites such as
http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/missingcountry.htm to
provide me with relevant details to create my own.

Tony

"Richard Smith" <ric...@ex-parrot.com> wrote in message

Denis Beauregard

Mar 22, 2016, 9:38:41 AM3/22/16
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:27:19 +0000, Richard Smith
<ric...@ex-parrot.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:

>Is anyone aware of permissively licensed database of countries that
>includes both former countries (e.g. Prussia) and unrecognised countries
>(e.g. Transnistria).

Swearch for some former countries on books.google and other sites like
that and you will find a few gazetters describing these countries.

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/

johnb

Mar 22, 2016, 9:48:01 AM3/22/16

Ian Goddard

Mar 22, 2016, 10:11:56 AM3/22/16
On 22/03/16 13:38, Denis Beauregard wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:27:19 +0000, Richard Smith
> <ric...@ex-parrot.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
>

>> Is anyone aware of permissively licensed database of countries that
>> includes both former countries (e.g. Prussia) and unrecognised countries
>> (e.g. Transnistria).
>
> Swearch for some former countries on books.google and other sites like
> that and you will find a few gazetters describing these countries.

Swearch. That's a good word. It describes so many experiences of Google!

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk

Denis Beauregard

Mar 22, 2016, 10:36:48 AM3/22/16
Le Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:11:54 +0000, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> écrivait dans soc.genealogy.computing:

>On 22/03/16 13:38, Denis Beauregard wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:27:19 +0000, Richard Smith
>> <ric...@ex-parrot.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
>>

>>> Is anyone aware of permissively licensed database of countries that
>>> includes both former countries (e.g. Prussia) and unrecognised countries
>>> (e.g. Transnistria).
>>
>> Swearch for some former countries on books.google and other sites like
>> that and you will find a few gazetters describing these countries.
>
>Swearch. That's a good word. It describes so many experiences of Google!

Oups, I meant search ! Not yet fully in operation this morning...

Richard Smith

Mar 22, 2016, 12:45:35 PM3/22/16
I started doing that at the weekend, and then though: I bet someone else
has already done this. It seems I was wrong.

Richard

Ian Goddard

Mar 22, 2016, 1:16:33 PM3/22/16
On 22/03/16 14:36, Denis Beauregard wrote:
> Le Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:11:54 +0000, Ian Goddard
> <godd...@hotmail.co.uk> écrivait dans soc.genealogy.computing:
>
>> On 22/03/16 13:38, Denis Beauregard wrote:

>>> Swearch for some former countries on books.google and other sites like
>>> that and you will find a few gazetters describing these countries.
>>
>> Swearch. That's a good word. It describes so many experiences of Google!
>
> Oups, I meant search ! Not yet fully in operation this morning...

No, the original was better. I'll use it in the future.

Denis Beauregard

Mar 22, 2016, 1:44:41 PM3/22/16
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:16:31 +0000, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
Not sure it is very popular...

https://github.com/stevestreza/Swearch