Question about an abbreviation used in Father Hebert's SWLR CD

Charlie Hoffpauir

Oct 17, 2015, 2:55:27 PM10/17/15
Father Hebert produced a lot of genealogy books containing SW
Louisiana records. Just a few years before his death, he released a CD
that contains some of those records. On that CD, he abbreviated Church
names. For example, GC stands for Sacred Heart Church, Grand Coteau,
LA. I visited a library and copied the abbreviations used, but
apparently the abbreviations I copied didn't contain "all" of the
church abbreviations used, because the church name for the
abbreviation RC isn't listed. I now find that I really need to know
what "RC" stands for so I can determine the place for the births of
several members of a family. So the question: Does anyone know what
the abbreviation "RC" for a church name in Father Hebert's records
stands for?

Denis Beauregard

Oct 17, 2015, 4:07:17 PM10/17/15
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:54:49 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
You should use the list in the last book of a series since the
codes are those for the current book and more churches appear in
the next volumes. And each series is independant, i.e. not the
same churches.

Do you remember the series and the volume number (or the year) ?

GC is in SWLR. Vol. 1 stops in 1810 but many more books are
available.

RC can be Rayne, St.Leo, not sure (my notes are fuzzy, so many
years back, maybe 20 years ago).

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/

Charlie Hoffpauir

Oct 17, 2015, 7:32:12 PM10/17/15
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:07:11 -0400, Denis Beauregard
<denis.b-at-f...@fr.invalid> wrote:
<snip>
>You should use the list in the last book of a series since the
>codes are those for the current book and more churches appear in
>the next volumes. And each series is independant, i.e. not the
>same churches.
>
>Do you remember the series and the volume number (or the year) ?
>
>GC is in SWLR. Vol. 1 stops in 1810 but many more books are
>available.
>
>RC can be Rayne, St.Leo, not sure (my notes are fuzzy, so many
>years back, maybe 20 years ago).
>

>Denis

Your memory is excellect. I found the abbreviations finally on the CD,
buried in other text, and sure enough, it's St. Leo IV Church.