System Restore

Steve Hayes

Sep 8, 2015, 9:15:41 PM9/8/15
How does one do a system restore in Wuindows XP?

I installed an update to Legacy Family Tree, and the new version will
not run, so I want to restore the status quo ante.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Wildman

Sep 8, 2015, 10:40:22 PM9/8/15
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 03:19:46 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> How does one do a system restore in Wuindows XP?
>
> I installed an update to Legacy Family Tree, and the new version will
> not run, so I want to restore the status quo ante.

Start Menu-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
Press any key to continue...

Steve Hayes

Sep 9, 2015, 2:46:27 AM9/9/15
On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:40:21 -0500, Wildman <best...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 03:19:46 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> How does one do a system restore in Wuindows XP?
>>
>> I installed an update to Legacy Family Tree, and the new version will
>> not run, so I want to restore the status quo ante.
>
>Start Menu-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore

Thanks very much.

Got the old version back, and it worked.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

---

s|b

Sep 9, 2015, 1:01:17 PM9/9/15
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:50:32 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> Thanks very much.
>
> Got the old version back, and it worked.

Maybe check again; System Restore is known to leave crap behind. Better
is to create an image (with Macrium Reflect Free, for instance).

--
s|b

Steve Hayes

Sep 9, 2015, 1:55:14 PM9/9/15
Restoring from a backup like that takes at least ten times as long,
and also means thast one needs to remember all the data files that
might need to be backed up before the restore.

s|b

Sep 9, 2015, 2:26:15 PM9/9/15
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 19:59:21 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> >Maybe check again; System Restore is known to leave crap behind. Better
> >is to create an image (with Macrium Reflect Free, for instance).

> Restoring from a backup like that takes at least ten times as long,

It takes me around 10 minutes to restore an image of my C: drive (almost
33 GiB). To create that same image: 6 minutes. My C: is a SSD, maybe
that explains.

> and also means thast one needs to remember all the data files that
> might need to be backed up before the restore.

You can use another program to backup data (documents, pictures, video,
...). I keep that data on a separate drive D: (SATA), so I don't need to
remember anything when I create an image of C: (Windows and other
software).

--
s|b