How do I get individual posts instead of digests?

Dora Smith

Aug 22, 2015, 5:39:22 PM8/22/15
I haven't read the posts on this list before, because it is very hard. I get veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy llllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg digests. Noone wants to plough through those.

How can I change my subscription to get individual posts?

I've been looking, can only find how to change my settings for all Google groups, and to not digests isn't an option, and how to subscribe to individual TOPICS. so when someone asks a new question I wouldn't know it.

Dora

Ian Goddard

Aug 22, 2015, 5:54:07 PM8/22/15
You are clearly in favour of open source S/W. If you don't already have
it, install Thunderbird, the mail client, or Seamonkey which combines
browser and mail client.

Having done that you need to find a news server. Your ISP may include
this. Alternatives include Eternal September and Individual.net. The
former is free but the latter has somewhat better spam filtering and is
quite modestly priced for a yearly subscription - even with a
Yorkshireman's attitude to spending it's my particular choice. There
are others, Google for a longer list.

Register with your chosen server. Click on the Edit menu item of your
client and select Mail and Newsgroup Account settings. Set up your
server choice with the settings given on your chose server's website.
Your server should then appear in the left hand panel. Right click and
select Subscribe from the list of functions offered and then proceed to
enter your selection of newsgroups.

See also the soc.genealogy.britain FAQ at
http://www.genealogy-britain.org.uk/

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk

Dora Smith

Aug 22, 2015, 7:14:17 PM8/22/15
I thought it was a Google group.

Sigh. All of that is way too much trouble!

Charlie Hoffpauir

Aug 22, 2015, 8:13:09 PM8/22/15
It's all perspective I guess. I've been reading newsgroups longer than
I can remember, certainly long before there even WAS a "google", and
it's so easy. I used to read them from my mail reader, but decided
using Agent was nicer, so spent a small amount on Agent and made it
all nicer.

Ian Goddard

Aug 23, 2015, 6:17:38 AM8/23/15
On 23/08/15 00:14, Dora Smith wrote:

> I thought it was a Google group.
>
> Sigh. All of that is way too much trouble!

What you see on Google Groups is an archive of the Usenet newsgroups.
The usenet groups are the real thing. Google bought an archive site
called DejaNews and then built GG around it. As an archive it was
extremely useful. Deja then added a facility to post prior to the purchase.

But just about all the regulars here use the newsgroup interface which I
described for posting although a few use the linked mail-list. Believe
me, once you've set it up a proper news client is by far the least
trouble and even more so if you follow multiple groups.

I can't speak for others here but I use Thunderbird/Seamonkey as my
email client as well, both for my own domain and for Hotmail. It's
running pretty well all the time I'm logged in on my laptop so any posts
on several newsgroups are listed there almost as soon as they arrive on
the individual.net server along with all the emails on my private domain
(Hotmail gets checked less often).

There are several howtos on the net, e.g.
http://www.fastusenet.org/thunderbird-tutorial.html Give it a try.

One hint - don't use your main email address, spammers will harvest it.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 23, 2015, 10:49:51 AM8/23/15
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:11:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>It's all perspective I guess. I've been reading newsgroups longer than
>I can remember, certainly long before there even WAS a "google", and
>it's so easy. I used to read them from my mail reader, but decided
>using Agent was nicer, so spent a small amount on Agent and made it
>all nicer.

What he said - except I use Free Agent which may not be available
anymore.

Hugh

Ron Taylor

Dec 17, 2015, 4:39:56 PM12/17/15
Yes, after all it takes about 10 minutes tops. Far too much trouble.