What do you do?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Apr 3, 2016, 5:52:39 PM4/3/16
I have a slew of people who lived in one area - at least there is no
data indicating they moved before their death. Most are before 1850 so
any record is doubtful.

Many of them died before any type of record indicated the place of
death or burial. So, the location of both is logical.

Of course other determining factors might be location of kids and if
they owned land.

Do you show the location of death and burial (either/both)?

NOTE: One of my sources is "Logical"; another is "Estimate".

Why? Why not?

Hugh

Denis Beauregard

Apr 3, 2016, 7:35:31 PM4/3/16
On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 21:52:35 GMT, Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh
Sullivan) wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
For me, indicating the burial means there is a burial record or a
reliable source telling where the person was buried. Also, someone
can be dead but not buried (dead in the woods for example or lost
at sea).

So I would enter only the place of death with a quotation mark.
Died about 1700 in New York ?

Also, I use both "est" and "about".

est = estimated but not shown. Used to test if someone was married
before birth or before the marriage of the parents, etc.

about = shown. Used when there is enough data to estimate the time
of marriage for example, like about 1 year before the 1 child is born.
But I prefer "before" in that case.

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/