Re: Ascii Attachments

Steve Hayes

Apr 9, 2016, 11:39:43 PM4/9/16
On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 22:08:31 -0500, Guy <g...@guysalias.tk.invalid>
wrote:

>Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> When I send a file attachment in Pegasus -- like a PDF file,
>> it goes as an attachment, but when the file is in Ascii format,
>> Pegasus sometuimes seems to incorporate the attachment into the
>> message, instead of as a file attachment.
>>
>> Is there a setting where I can change this behaviour, so that
>> it will not incorporate such attachments into the message?
>>

>Check these two settings:
>
> Tools > Options
> Outgoing mail > Messages and replies
> Use these settings...
> Use MIME features [x] On
>
> Tools > Options
> Outgoing mail > Sending mail
> Advanced settings
> [] Enable text-file autodetection...

I've checked both of those, and they are set as above.

One of the biggest problems occurs when I send GEDCOM files (GEnealogy
Data COMmunications) files to non-savvy computer users. These are
genealogy data files in Ascii format, which can be imported into most
genealogy programs.

When it is sent as an attachment, anyone can simply tell their
genealogy program to import the attached file with no problems.

But when Pegasus incorporates it into a message, most non-savvy
computer users do not know how to mark the text, save it as a file
with a GED extension, and then import it.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

bill via

Apr 10, 2016, 5:11:06 AM4/10/16
to haye...@yahoo.com, Steve Hayes, gen...@rootsweb.com
All

I've found no matter what email software you are using if you zip the file
up it doesn't have any effect on the ACTUAL file format when received and
extracted

Regards

Bill

Tony Proctor

Apr 10, 2016, 6:01:12 AM4/10/16
Yeah but some email systems block them because of the risk of loading
malicious content without realising

Tony

"bill via" <gen...@rootsweb.com> wrote in message

Denis Beauregard

Apr 10, 2016, 9:05:58 AM4/10/16
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:01:08 +0100, "Tony Proctor"
<tony@proctor_NoMore_SPAM.net> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
As a list manager at Rootsweb, I received a lot of virus zipped
files recently. There is a strong attack against mailing lists
with zipped virus.

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/

Steve Hayes

Apr 10, 2016, 12:40:54 PM4/10/16
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 09:05:55 -0400, Denis Beauregard
<denis.b-at-f...@fr.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:01:08 +0100, "Tony Proctor"
><tony@proctor_NoMore_SPAM.net> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
>
>>Yeah but some email systems block them because of the risk of loading
>>malicious content without realising
>>
>> Tony
>>
>>"bill via" <gen...@rootsweb.com> wrote in message
>>> All
>>>
>>> I've found no matter what email software you are using if you zip the file
>>> up it doesn't have any effect on the ACTUAL file format when received and
>>> extracted
>
>As a list manager at Rootsweb, I received a lot of virus zipped
>files recently. There is a strong attack against mailing lists
>with zipped virus.

Mailing lists do not usually allow attachments, so zipped files would
automatically be rejected.

Richard Smith

Apr 10, 2016, 12:43:45 PM4/10/16
On 10/04/16 17:41, Steve Hayes wrote:

> Mailing lists do not usually allow attachments, so zipped files would
> automatically be rejected.

If the list is configured not to accept attachments, then it makes no
difference whether the GEDCOM file is zipped or not. It's still an
attachment.

Richard

Denis Beauregard

Apr 10, 2016, 4:02:33 PM4/10/16
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 18:41:21 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 09:05:55 -0400, Denis Beauregard
><denis.b-at-f...@fr.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:01:08 +0100, "Tony Proctor"
>><tony@proctor_NoMore_SPAM.net> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
>>
>>>Yeah but some email systems block them because of the risk of loading
>>>malicious content without realising
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>
>>>"bill via" <gen...@rootsweb.com> wrote in message

>>As a list manager at Rootsweb, I received a lot of virus zipped
>>files recently. There is a strong attack against mailing lists
>>with zipped virus.
>
>Mailing lists do not usually allow attachments, so zipped files would
>automatically be rejected.

I receive the zip files as the admin of the list. The zip files are
not received as subscriber but as the admin, and they are not filtered
out.

Steve Hayes

Apr 10, 2016, 8:49:03 PM4/10/16
But the question is not about mailing lists, but about ordinary
e-mail.