Any genealogy problems with Win 10?

Charlie Hoffpauir

Aug 18, 2015, 4:07:00 PM8/18/15
I'm trying out windows 10 on an old computer, and so far have noticed
that Ancestry.com doesn't support the Edge browser that is bundled
with 10. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any other limitations in
trying to do genealogy work with Win 10?

Ian Goddard

Aug 18, 2015, 6:01:58 PM8/18/15
You're unlikely to get applications aimed specifically at a new OS for
some time after it's been out. However I tried one of the previews &
providing you select the appropriate options at install time I installed
some pretty ancient Windows S/W on it to test such as Lotus Smartsuite
and Office 95. On that basis it looks likely that most existing S/W
could be installed.

However I suggest you wade through the T&Cs - all of them - and think
carefully about them before you run it on a production PC. Certainly it
will never get on any of mine. In fact for the very little Windows S/W
I can't run under Wine I'll probably revert to W2K on a VM & ditch the
W7 VM which will undoubtedly try to downgrade itself to W10 given half a
chance.

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 18, 2015, 6:10:09 PM8/18/15
I dl'ed 10 to a Win 7 spare laptop I use for backups. It left my Win 7
icons intact. When I click the Start button a small screen of the new
(useless) icons appear. So, every one of my programs runs. I use
Chrome for a browser. If Edge comes up, that's okay - but it has to
look for me - not me for it.

If I did something wrong, I'm happy about it.

Of course I'm an old man and I only use cell phones to make and
receive calls.

Hugh

Ian Goddard

Aug 18, 2015, 6:13:28 PM8/18/15
On 18/08/15 23:01, Ian Goddard wrote:
> On 18/08/15 21:06, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>> I'm trying out windows 10 on an old computer, and so far have noticed
>> that Ancestry.com doesn't support the Edge browser that is bundled
>> with 10. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any other limitations in
>> trying to do genealogy work with Win 10?
>>

> In fact for the very little Windows S/W I can't run under Wine

I should qualify that by adding that there's not really much Windows S/W
that I run under any circumstances.

Ian Goddard

Aug 18, 2015, 6:18:26 PM8/18/15
On 18/08/15 23:10, Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan) wrote:
> I dl'ed 10 to a Win 7 spare laptop I use for backups. It left my Win 7
> icons intact. When I click the Start button a small screen of the new
> (useless) icons appear.

You can get rid of these. Right click them & then select the Unpin
option. You have to do this individually tile by tile - you can't
select the whole lot & ditch them in one go :(

When you've done that you're still left with the empty space they
occupied. You can simply drag the right margin of that & shrink it back
to the menu.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 18, 2015, 10:37:26 PM8/18/15
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:18:23 +0100, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 18/08/15 23:10, Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan) wrote:
>> I dl'ed 10 to a Win 7 spare laptop I use for backups. It left my Win 7
>> icons intact. When I click the Start button a small screen of the new
>> (useless) icons appear.
>
>You can get rid of these. Right click them & then select the Unpin
>option. You have to do this individually tile by tile - you can't
>select the whole lot & ditch them in one go :(
>
>When you've done that you're still left with the empty space they
>occupied. You can simply drag the right margin of that & shrink it back
>to the menu.

I thought that might be possible. They are not objectionable to me if
they only show when I click on Start. I may even use a couple
sometime.

But I appreciate the knowledge.

Hugh

vill...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2015, 3:23:31 PM8/22/15
Not to encourage people to risk self destruction by moving to Windows 10, but Rootsmagic seems to be working on Windows 10 after a fix. Their support list can help with it. You can also try the software for free, though it doesn't have full functionality.

You should be able to install other browsers in Windows 10, such as Firefox and Chrome. Let us know right away if you can't. You might be able to install Internet Explorer as well; have you tried it? Windows 10 does not have an altered file system from Windows 8; most things that worked in 8 work in 10, or so I'm told. Mind you, I ain't about to try it.

Windows 7 won't go away until something like 2020, though no feature updates.

I've got Rootsmagic working well in Linux, using the Wine emulator. It's easiest to do with Crossover, which costs $49 for six months or something, but not all that hard to do yourself in Wine. The main thing is to make sure a somewhat long list of Windows dependencies are installed.

Microsoft's malfunctional antics with these operating systems are driving increasing numbers of people to Linux operating systems; I've tried various flavors of Ubuntu. I have Kubuntu, the version that most closely resembles Windows XP/ 7, going on a second hand core duo computer and Xubuntu, which is lightweight, going on a slightly old laptop.

Charlie Hoffpauir

Aug 22, 2015, 8:08:58 PM8/22/15
Yes I do have Chrome and it works fine under Win 10. Actually I've
tried several programs, and the "only" one with any issue is Ancestry
using Edge. I'm not at all addicted to Edge, I just wanted to see what
it was all about, and immediately noticed the incompatibility with
Ancestry.
I've tried several of the Linux flavors, liked Ubuntu and Mint, but
still am more comfortable with Windows. From what I've seen on the
test computer, there's only a minuscule risk of destruction in making
the upgrade to 10.... however, I'm still not going to do it on my main
computer until there's some reason to do it. If there's a performance
improvement, it's not noticable without running tests.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 23, 2015, 10:43:21 AM8/23/15
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:07:47 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Yes I do have Chrome and it works fine under Win 10. Actually I've
>tried several programs, and the "only" one with any issue is Ancestry
>using Edge. I'm not at all addicted to Edge, I just wanted to see what
>it was all about, and immediately noticed the incompatibility with
>Ancestry.

>From what I've seen on the
>test computer, there's only a minuscule risk of destruction in making
>the upgrade to 10.... however, I'm still not going to do it on my main
>computer until there's some reason to do it. If there's a performance
>improvement, it's not noticable without running tests.

What he said!

Hugh

Denis Beauregard

Aug 24, 2015, 6:00:09 PM8/24/15
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:

>If there's a performance
>improvement, it's not noticable without running tests.

I wonder if anyone noticed any performance improvement while
increasing the Windows version (Windows, not the computer).

My main computer with Windows 7 is a lot faster than the
portable with Windows 8.1. In one software I made, there is
a timeout after 30 seconds (default value) and with 8.1 I
needed for a presentation, it failed when presenting a
family sheet I wanted to show (before the show, luckily !).

Almost all softwares I use now have an equivalent on Linux
except Legacy, my email software (Forte Agent) and a software
I use to controle remotely my camera. I rewrote all my personal
softwares with PHP so it can be transfered to Linux. But still using
Windows.

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 24, 2015, 10:33:57 PM8/24/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:59:59 -0400, Denis Beauregard
<denis.b-at-f...@fr.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:07:47 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
><inv...@invalid.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.computing:
>
>>If there's a performance
>>improvement, it's not noticable without running tests.
>
>I wonder if anyone noticed any performance improvement while
>increasing the Windows version (Windows, not the computer).

I think 10 opens slightly faster but the wi-fi commection is not there
when the desktop appears. So it may be a falsie.

It appears to close faster but the computer doesn't turn off
immediately. Again, the improvement may be a falsie.

At the moment I would not pay for the upgrade and I'm not ready to
install it on my main laptop.

I like the old icons, not the big squares. And the small ones still
appear after I installed 10 as they did before.

But, if you were running Win 8, I hear anything is an improvement and
you may be used to the BIG icons.

Hugh

Charlie Hoffpauir

Aug 25, 2015, 9:36:14 AM8/25/15
There are a few "glitches" that waste a bit of time, so even if it's
really a bit faster than 7, the effect is that it seems slower. For
example, on that test machine with Win 7, I quit using Windows
Defender long ago, using instead MS Security Essentials. So after
upgrading to 10, I get a pop up after every start telling me that
Windows Defender ap has been disabled, and I have to close that little
window. Bummer. Overall, I think most Win 8 users will prefer 10, but
that most Win 7 users will not be impressed with either the interface,
or the speed improvement.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 25, 2015, 12:33:44 PM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:35:41 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Overall, I think most Win 8 users will prefer 10, but
>that most Win 7 users will not be impressed with either the interface,
>or the speed improvement.

What you said...

I guess I need an OS for great grandfathers.

Hugh

Harrison Genealogy via

Aug 27, 2015, 12:12:00 AM8/27/15
to J. Hugh Sullivan, gen...@rootsweb.com
Hi all

Upgraded couple of days ago to Windows 10 .... All my software and gene stuff seemed to work OK ....
BUT 2 days in ..... my email using M/Soft Outlook developed problems .... Couldn't sent any Emails ..... My ISP says it's M/Soft having problems with Win10 and Outlook ..... So thought if they can't get it right between their own products what chance have others got !

So recovered back to Win 8.1 !! ...... That was quick, and went without a hitch

Must have had a brain storm to go so early !!

Regards

Bill

Sent from My IPad : Website www.harrisongenealogy.co.uk

Herman Viaene

Aug 27, 2015, 5:36:36 AM8/27/15
Harrison Genealogy via wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Upgraded couple of days ago to Windows 10 .... All my software and gene
> stuff seemed to work OK ....
> BUT 2 days in ..... my email using M/Soft Outlook developed problems ....
> Couldn't sent any Emails ..... My ISP says it's M/Soft having problems
> with Win10 and Outlook ..... So thought if they can't get it right between
> their own products what chance have others got !
>
> So recovered back to Win 8.1 !! ...... That was quick, and went without a
> hitch
>
> Must have had a brain storm to go so early !!
...snip....
Going back to Win8.1 is not really a long term solution, and the whole Win
mail SW is a PITA for some time now.
I suggest people to install Thunderbird, at the first run it takes over all
your settings, mails, addresses etc, from Windows Mail. And then never look
back.

Doug Laidlaw

Oct 14, 2015, 2:19:52 PM10/14/15
Herman Viaene <herman...@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
Once you have all your mail in Thunderbird, you are safe to
upgrade to Win 10.
Everyone has struck the mail issue. My Web browser is Firefox,
but IE11
is compatible with Ancestry.com. In general, Win 10 is better
than 8.1.
A review called it something like "good, but just as irrelevant as
ever."
I use Windows only when I have no choice.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 14, 2015, 6:56:30 PM10/14/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 05:19:44 +1100 (GMT+11:00), Doug Laidlaw
<laid...@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>Once you have all your mail in Thunderbird, you are safe to
> upgrade to Win 10.
>Everyone has struck the mail issue. My Web browser is Firefox,
> but IE11 is compatible with Ancestry.com. In general, Win 10 is better
> than 8.1.
>A review called it something like "good, but just as irrelevant as
> ever."
>I use Windows only when I have no choice.

I have win 10 on one laptop and Win 7 on another laptop used as a
desktop. 10 was installed over 7. I wanted to try 10 on a second
computer before I committed on the other. The install was almost on
autopilot.

Once I removed the Win 10 icons the screen appeared the same as Win 7.
Win 10 shuts down faster and may open a little faster. Program screens
appear slightly different if I happen to notice and the appearance of
the Start Menu is not quite the same.

I use Chrome and have not used IE in several years. I use Outlook for
mail, calendar and contacts and Legacy for genealogy.

As I mentioned in another thread it appears that I am not computer
literate enough to have the problems mentioned. I did have a couple of
nit-picky problems that would surface in any OS but my son corrected
them quickly. He has run 10 since Beta.

Hugh

Herman Viaene

Oct 15, 2015, 3:35:52 AM10/15/15
Could you find out if and how he fixed the problem that at the end of the
conversion some programs are not found back in neither the tiles nor the
Start menu. Although they still work OK under Win 10.

Herman Viaene

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 15, 2015, 8:02:46 AM10/15/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:35:49 +0200, Herman Viaene
<herman...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

>Could you find out if and how he fixed the problem that at the end of the
>conversion some programs are not found back in neither the tiles nor the
>Start menu. Although they still work OK under Win 10.
>
>Herman Viaene

I will ask BUT, I'm not sure how the programs work if they can't be
found. You might explain this a bit more.

Have you used the search function to look for "Control Panel" that has
a startup icon for Programs and Features?

After I upgraded to 10 all of my Win 7 icons appeared on the desktop
precisely as they appeared before. I deleted all of the new Win 10
icons.

I use a program Winnc for file management. It's the old Norton
Commander created by different people. It has 2 screens so 2 drives or
2 folders can be displayed simultaneously. The display will list every
program. I show contents of C: drive and an external HD to backup -
just highlight and copy. Every computer I have must have an OS and NC
or Winnc since WIn 3.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 15, 2015, 6:16:29 PM10/15/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:35:49 +0200, Herman Viaene
<herman...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Could you find out if and how he fixed the problem that at the end of the
>conversion some programs are not found back in neither the tiles nor the
>Start menu. Although they still work OK under Win 10.
>
>Herman Viaene

If the program works it can be found. My son says working and not
found can't exist together. Once found a shortcut icon can be placed
on the screen. Of course if you just mean the icon disappeared you
can't right click and check properties.

I use Belarc Advisor. I don't understand all it lists but I use it.
When I updated it showed I was using Win 8.1. My son said it was 10. I
e-mailed Belarc and I have now dl'ed the update that tells me I am
using Win 10 on the other laptop.

I really thought I was logical until I was introduced to a computer.

Hugh

Herman Viaene

Oct 16, 2015, 3:22:05 AM10/16/15
J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:35:49 +0200, Herman Viaene
> <herman...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>
>>could you find out if and how he fixed the problem that at the end of the
>>conversion some programs are not found back in neither the tiles nor the
>>Start menu. Although they still work Ok under Win 10.
>>
>>Herman Viaene
>
> I will ask BUT, I'm not sure how the programs work if they can't be
> found. You might explain this a bit more.
> -

Quite simple, the program is still there, and when you look for the
executable in WinExplorer, you can start it and it works.
But it is not presented in neither the tiles nor the Start menu.
That's a known issue.

Herman

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 16, 2015, 7:27:43 AM10/16/15
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:22:03 +0200, Herman Viaene
<herman...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Quite simple, the program is still there, and when you look for the
>executable in WinExplorer, you can start it and it works.
>But it is not presented in neither the tiles nor the Start menu.
>That's a known issue.
>

>Herman

I guess I will never see the issue. I have deleted all tiles and I
don't use the Start menu except to power down.

I don't use Win Explorer but doesn't a right click allow you to create
a desktop shortcut?

Hugh