„Google“ grupės nebepalaiko naujų „Usenet“ įrašų ar prenumeratų. Istorinį turinį galima peržiūrėti.

Seattle "Cám Heo" Chow-Chow-Chow 1/4 Lbs MSG

10 peržiūrų
Praleisti ir pereiti prie pirmo neskaityto pranešimo

ThịtChó-4Mùa

neskaityta,
2017-09-13 08:11:242017-09-13
kam:
Unbelievable

1/4 Lbs MSG :))))

=====================

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/filling-up-on-seattles-only-chance-at-the-super-bowl-this-year/

Food & DrinkLife
Seattle’s Super Bowl: Not football, but pho

Originally published February 3, 2016 at 7:00 am Updated February 3, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Four pounds of noodles. Four pounds of meat. Four liters of broth. Can four challengers beat the Dong Thap Noodles Pho Super Bowl Challenge in 90 minutes? (Ken Lambert and Corinne Chin / The Seattle Times)

Our hearty contenders try to vanquish massive bowls of pho: four liters of broth, four pounds of noodles, four pounds of meat. Can they do it? Watch our video.

Share story
Bethany Jean Clement By Bethany Jean Clement
Seattle Times staff columnist

Last year, Seattle was in the Super Bowl. Next year, if all is right with the world, Seattle will be in the Super Bowl again. This year, Seattle has the Dong Thap Noodles Pho Super Bowl Challenge: a chance for any one of us to achieve glory by consuming what might be the world’s largest bowl of our city’s greatest soup.

Four liters of broth. Four pounds of noodles. Four pounds of meat. A bowl as big as a kitchen sink. An hour-and-a-half time limit. Anyone who bests the Pho Super Bowl Challenge is immortalized on Dong Thap’s wall-mounted flat-screen and receives $100. The price of failure is $40.

But it wasn’t about the potential for fame or the lucre in the offing. We took the Dong Thap Noodles Pho Super Bowl Challenge for the Seahawks. We took it for the 12s. We took it for our love of pho, for our love of the game. We took it because it was there.

Two people had tried before us. Neither had succeeded. My research revealed that while estimates of the capacity of the human stomach in a state of distension vary, completing the Pho Super Bowl Challenge is not physiologically possible. I did not tell my fellow challengers this.

They’d bravely enlisted by saying things like “I’ll give that a shot” in comments on a Facebook post of mine about Dong Thap. The pho shop on 12th near Jackson is more than a gimmicky contest, and, indeed, more than a pho shop: Owners Nick Bui and Khanhvan (K.V.) Tran make all their noodles on-site in an arduous four-day process, and those noodles are arguably the best around.

The four challengers: Chef Miles James, former owner of Fremont’s much-missed Dot’s Delicatessen, now at meat-haven Radiator Whiskey; man-about-town Chas Roberts, formerly of T.G.I. Friday’s, now impresario/musician/gourmand/graphic designer; pastry chef Matt Tinder, formerly of the Bay Area’s vaunted Coi and the Restaurant at Meadowood, opening Saboteur Bakery in Bremerton this week; and me.

We gathered at high noon. James had breakfasted on Sour Patch Kids, Tinder on honey-flavored Halls lozenges, Roberts on a little yogurt. I’d had two Tums. We’d all had coffee. Both hunger and nerves mounted as we waited. Confidence took a hit at the official weighing of the noodles and meat, held at the counter, as we bore witness to what would go into our bowls, broth aside. Sitting and waiting for the insane quantity of pho to be made, every ding of the order-up bell sounded deeper and more ominous, as other customers happily received their normal-sized bowls during the lunch rush. Tinder stretched his arms and neck, repeatedly looking over his shoulder with trepidation. Ding. Ding. DING.

At last, and yet still too soon, four enormous bowls were borne out in succession, owner Bui visibly struggling with their hot sides and sloshing heft. The immense basins of soup steamed. The other diners marveled and took pictures. The 90-minute countdown began. “I’m only here so I don’t get fined,” Roberts said.

Clockwise from top left: Chas Roberts, SeattleTimes food writer Bethany Jean Clement, Miles James and Matt Tinder take the Pho Super Bowl Challenge at Dong Thap Noodles: eating a huge bowl of pho (four liters of broth, four pounds of noodles, four pounds of meat) in 90 minutes. (Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times)
Clockwise from top left: Chas Roberts, SeattleTimes food writer Bethany Jean Clement, Miles James and Matt Tinder take the Pho Super Bowl Challenge at Dong Thap Noodles: eating a huge bowl of pho (four liters of broth, four pounds of noodles, four pounds of meat) in 90 minutes. (Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times)
Tinder — who, with a baker’s precision, had already calculated that we’d each have to engulf 33 grams of broth per minute — rapidly arranged the different components of his pho for some secret plan of optimal consumption, his chopsticks flying. James subjected his soup to an onslaught of Sriracha and plum sauce. Roberts’ tactic was to immediately begin eating all the tripe to get it out of the way, because he doesn’t like tripe. Taking the opposite tack, I dived into the middle of my bowl, prospecting for noodles.

Twenty minutes in, only Tinder’s bowl showed a detectable decrease in level. All challengers developed a sheen of sweat. Owner Tran came to the table and reassured us that she was also a nurse, should we need medical help. “Is it getting hard to breathe?” she laughed. We all laughed.

“I think mine’s getting bigger,” James lamented approximately 46 minutes in. It was true: In his condiment augmentation process, he’d stirred his pho thoroughly, and his breaching noodles were absorbing broth and expanding. Tinder and Roberts seemed tied, having reduced their soup-volume by maybe a couple inches. My pho appeared untouched and refused to stop steaming.

We ate more, slowing down. “I feel like the walls are closing in,” Roberts said. “This is awesome.” He then cursed as more tripe surfaced in his bowl.

Pastry chef Matt Tinder, front, feels the Challenge at Dong Thap Noodles. Chef Miles James, rear, posts a photo of his bowl to Facebook on his phone. (Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times)
Pastry chef Matt Tinder, front, feels the Challenge at Dong Thap Noodles. Chef Miles James, rear, posts a photo of his bowl to Facebook on his phone. (Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times)
Before our time was even up, we reached the limits of human endurance. We felt as if we’d been there forever, yet we did not want to leave. A bond had formed, never to be severed. The pho had prevailed, but we had learned things from confronting it that could not be learned any other way. We convinced the owners they should cut the volume of the Super Bowl Challenge in half, to give future contenders a fighting chance. (The pricing and prize will also likely change.)

More Food & Drink
Five-ingredient chicken wings are a crowd-pleasing dinner
How to make the best brownies ever
Feds shutting squid fishery for year to avoid overfishing
Farmer-owned co-op is a Hub of production | Taste
Beyond bread: Columbia City Bakery’s excellent new menu | Cheap Eats
New York wine country: Sips and scenery in the Finger Lakes
In the end, our love for pho was undefeated. Estimates for next bowlfuls varied from tomorrow to a few days later. I took home leftovers — a lot of leftovers.

“I just want to leave this one on the field, try and go 1-and-0 next time I have pho,” Tinder said in the end. “It wasn’t God’s will this time, but we’re gonna get it together. Go Hawks.”

Bethany Jean Clement: bcle...@seattletimes.com or 206-464-2050. On Twitter @BJeanClement.
We need your support
In-depth journalism takes time and effort to produce, and it depends on paying subscribers. If you value these kind of stories, consider subscribing.
Subscribe
View 31 Comments
No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Log in or create an account.
33 People Viewing

Post comment
Newest | Oldest | Top Comments
Dr. Pizza Feb 8, 2016
Funny! Great article and the picture of Tinder does a great job of showing the impossible challenge.

FlagShare1LikeReply
slknb Feb 4, 2016
What an unbelievable waste of food...what happened to the leftovers?

At least nominate come challengers that have a chance of finishing...I think I may have been able to get close...

FlagShare2LikeReply
Wise Great Grandfather Feb 4, 2016
Dong Thap Noodles is a good restaurant.

FlagShare2LikeReply
vikingkraut Feb 4, 2016
I am so tired of these eating challenges. I work at an elementary school, where almost half the students go hungry every day. I always imagine them seeing a story like this, and wishing they could trade places with the contestants.

FlagShare5LikeReply
Misssy Feb 5, 2016
@vikingkraut While I agree with your sentiments, I call BS on your comment about "students gong hungry". All Seattle-area school have free meals, hefty breakfasts and lunches, for low-income students. Our local food banks receive shipments equivalent to FIVE semi trailers of produce alone every week and anyone and everyone is welcome to come get as much as they want to. No children are hungry in Seattle unless their parents purposefully withhold food from them. So, yes, wasting food is "sinful", for lack of a better word, and many people in this world go hungry, but not children in Seattle.

FlagShareLikeReply
chally826 Mar 30, 2016
@Misssy @vikingkraut Youre wrong missy.....the need continues to grow everyday everywhere open your stupid eyes

FlagShareLikeReply
sterlinghawk Aug 8, 2016
Not true Misssy, obviously you have never walked the walk here. Going hungry also means having no dinner and BS to your BS "but not children in Seattle". Geez where in the heck is your head, that has to be the most stupidest statement that I have ever heard. Spoken like someone who has never walked in these kids shoes or parents shoes

FlagShareLikeReply
RentonAve Feb 7, 2016
@vikingkraut If half go hungry why are they so fat?

FlagShareLikeReply
rainfallingoncedars Feb 3, 2016
Barbarian crass stupidity; respect lost for all involved.

FlagShare5LikeReply
D'Brickashaw Feb 3, 2016
Can I please have my 2 minuets and 30 second back?

FlagShare5LikeReply
Misssy Feb 5, 2016
@D'Brickashaw So you like to dance?

FlagShareLikeReply
user127454 Feb 3, 2016
Somebody call Adam Richman of Man vs. Food. He'll do a show on it.

FlagShareLikeReply
user127454 Feb 3, 2016
I like the catchy title! The soup looks good but only a 300 lb. football player can finish it.

FlagShare1LikeReply
Captain Koons Feb 3, 2016
Well at least it's a cash prize if you succeed rather than free pho. Nothing like being the winner of a pie eating contest when first prize is ten pies...

FlagShare5LikeReply
Lithotripsy Feb 3, 2016
I love a bowl of this soup on a cold winter's day. Don't think I'd like to try to eat that much, though. Especially that much cow. What a beef-over it would give me.

Love thermonuclear-hot chicken pho with bean sprouts, lime juice, and Thai basil.

FlagShare3LikeReply
RDPence Feb 3, 2016
We've been to Dong Thap several times, and their pho is delicious. And so is everything else we've tried. It's a great little neighborhood cafe. And very kind to budget eaters -- if you don't order the Superbowl. In Seattle's Little Saigon, on 12th Ave. S. just north of Jackson St.

FlagShare4LikeReply
user851374 Feb 3, 2016
I have to say it. Much as I enjoy the occasional bowl of pho, the thought of (over)eating it as sport does not strike me as worthy of space in a newspaper. Have this so-called contest, if you wish, which mainly demonstrates that some people in wealthy countries live apart not only from many of their own citizens, including children, who are hungry every day but many others in the world. While you do so, please spare us your so-called problems of trying to eat so much food.

And to those of you who'll say this post is a 'downer,' so is the reality of hunger in this country and many parts of the world. Those people are hungry through no fault of their own: poverty; wars; famine and crop failure, for examples.

FlagShare10LikeReply
willv Feb 3, 2016
@user851374 You're being a downer. Lighten up.

FlagShare5LikeReply
sea98 Feb 4, 2016
@willv @user851374 Facing reality sucks doesn't it? But probably not as much not having enough food to eat.

FlagShare2LikeReply
jim5car Feb 4, 2016
@user851374

You're right. We all should be 100% serious 100% of the time. Too many problems in the world to every crack a smile.

Boy, that'll make life worth living!

FlagShare2LikeReply
user851374 Feb 4, 2016
@jim5car @user851374 You misunderstood my post. If you were to meet me, you'd find a thoughtful, serious, and, indeed, charming person who also has a sense of humor. But there is a difference between what is worth being serious or humorous about and what isn't. This so-called contest is tasteless and offensive.

FlagShare3LikeReply
user1001085 Feb 5, 2016
You're being a downer. Lighten up.

FlagShare3LikeReply
Misssy Feb 5, 2016
@user851374 Nothing like someone who compliments themselves on the Internet (thoughtful, charming... - you forgot attractive, sexy, intelligent, athletic, charismatic, lithe, witty...). Actually, you forgot humorless - that's the definition of someone who feels they decide what's in good taste and what isn't. And who actually finds a light-hearted article about eating pho "offensive". Good grief.

FlagShare1LikeReply
Savion Feb 3, 2016
I miss Nancy Leson.

FlagShare3LikeReply
whiteboyjeff Feb 3, 2016
weak effort by all challengers.

FlagShare3LikeReply
realistman Feb 3, 2016
Why would anyone want to purposely punish their bodies for the sake of eating this massive bowl of food in 90 min? Better to divide it into 4's or 8's and feed it to hungry people.

FlagShare6LikeReply
Skyway Resident Feb 3, 2016
@realistman You are a buzz kill.

FlagShare5LikeReply