Re: fantastic negative result

Oleg Smirnov

Mar 31, 2014, 3:00:24 PM3/31/14
<http://tinyurl.com/l9zjqm9> Ron Paul

Last week Congress overwhelmingly passed a bill approving a billion dollars in
aid to Ukraine and more sanctions on Russia. The bill will likely receive the
president’s signature within days. If you think this is the last time US
citizens will have their money sent to Ukraine, you should think again. This
is only the beginning.

This $1 billion for Ukraine is a rip-off for the America taxpayer, but it is
also a bad deal for Ukrainians. Not a single needy Ukrainian will see a penny
of this money, as it will be used to bail out international banks who hold
Ukrainian government debt. According to the terms of the International
Monetary Fund (IMF)-designed plan for Ukraine, life is about to get much more
difficult for average Ukrainians. The government will freeze some wage
increases, significantly raise taxes, and increase energy prices by a
considerable margin.

But the bankers will get paid and the IMF will get control over the Ukrainian
economy.

The bill also authorizes more US taxpayer money for government-funded
“democracy promotion” NGOs, and more money to broadcast US government
propaganda into Ukraine via Radio Free Europe and Voice of America. It also
includes some saber-rattling, directing the US Secretary of State to “provide
enhanced security cooperation with Central and Eastern European NATO member
states.”

The US has been “promoting democracy” in Ukraine for more than ten years now,
but it doesn’t seem to have done much good. Recently a democratically-elected
government was overthrown by violent protestors. That is the opposite of
democracy, where governments are changed by free and fair elections. What is
shocking is that the US government and its NGOs were on the side of the
protestors! If we really cared about democracy we would not have taken either
side, as it is none of our business.

Washington does not want to talk about its own actions that led to the coup,
instead focusing on attacking the Russian reaction to US-instigated unrest
next door to them. So the new bill passed by Congress will expand sanctions
against Russia for its role in backing a referendum in Crimea, where most of
the population voted to join Russia. The US, which has participated in the
forced change of borders in Serbia and elsewhere, suddenly declares that
international borders cannot be challenged in Ukraine.

Those of us who are less than gung-ho about sanctions, manipulating elections,
and sending our troops overseas are criticized as somehow being unpatriotic.
It happened before when so many of us were opposed to the Iraq war, the US
attack on Libya, and elsewhere. And it is happening again to those of us not
eager to get in another cold -- or hot -- war with Russia over a small
peninsula that means absolutely nothing to the US or its security.

I would argue that real patriotism is defending this country and making sure
that our freedoms are not undermined here. Unfortunately, while so many are
focused on freedoms in Crimea and Ukraine, the US Congress is set to pass an
NSA “reform” bill that will force private companies to retain our personal
data and make it even easier for the NSA to spy on the rest of us. We need to
refocus our priorities toward promoting liberty in the United States!

Oleg Smirnov

Apr 12, 2014, 3:25:01 AM4/12/14
<http://ru.euronews.com/2014/04/11/putin-plays-gas-card-in-ukraine-and-threatens-to-cut-off-supplies/>

Putin calls Europe itself to take concern about Ukraine's debt for gas.
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday sent letters to heads of
countries in Eastern and Western Europe in connection with the problem
of Ukraine's debt for gas. He expressed extreme concern about the
situation, and pointed out that the omission of the EU in the situation
with Ukraine's unpaid debts for gas looks like an attempt to shift to
Russia the consequences of the Ukraine's economic crisis. ..

The West prefers not to notice the giant Kiev's debt to Moscow for gas
while the debt, according to the head of Russia's Ministry of Energy,
by April has amounted to 2 billion 238 million dollars.

April 10, NATO commanders spread in the media the satellite images
that allegedly show a large number of Russian aircraft, helicopters
and armored vehicles located near the Ukrainian border. Moscow quickly
responded, pointing out that these photos were taken last year during
the Russian exercises in the Southern Military District. ..

<http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/11/putin-plays-gas-card-in-ukraine-and-threatens-to-cut-off-supplies/>

Russian President Vladimir Putin has threatened to cut gas supplies off
to Ukraine over unpaid bills, and has written a letter to the leaders
of 18 European nations explaining the gas situation to them.
He also warned them Ukraine might “siphon off” supplies destined for
them. ..

Russia has cut gas supplies twice before during price disputes, which
led to reduced supplies in European countries, but claims it has
subsidised the Ukrainian economy with cheap energy for years, to the
tune of nearly 40 billion euros.

NATO angered Moscow on Thursday by releasing satellite pictures it says
show the buildup of Russian forces along Ukraine’s border, confounding
Russian claims the additional units had been withdrawn.

As you may notice, the Euronews's URLs differ only in 'http://www.' vs
'http://ru.' part, ie. it supposed to be the same news article just in
different languages.

The similar thing is also noticeable for the BBC. Though the BBC does
not practice multilingual variants of the same articles, it's easy to
notice, when they write about the same Russia-related issues their
accents and selective observation of facts look extremely different in
their English and Russian editions.

The reason, both for the Euronews and BBC, is simple: these Goebelses
understand well that their ability to brainwash the Russian audience
is very much less than their ability to brainwash the Western audience.

It's relevant to notice, Russia Today also has their Russian edition
<http://russian.rt.com>, but how they present the facts and comments
there isn't much different from the accents in their English edition.

Oleg Smirnov

Apr 12, 2014, 2:46:52 PM4/12/14
More from the London Pravda.

<http://tinyurl.com/k5vhhmc>

"Last November, Ukraine's president, Viktor Yanukovych,
with his country barreling toward economic catastrophe,
faced a choice. He could make a long-term, initially
painful deal with the EU to bolster integration and trade,
or he could take a $15bn loan from Russia and move his
country toward a planned "Eurasian Union", with Belarus,
Kazakhstan and Russia."

Why did Yanukovych 'face' a choice? The need to choose
has been artificially imposed to him by the EU / US.
Russia reasonable proposed trilateral consultations.

This the most destructive EU / US move triggered process
towards the current situation, and it's easy explainable
why the agitprop scrambles to conceal this fact today.

And what 'initially painful deal with the EU' really
means for the countries like Ukraine is easy visible from
the examples of Bosnia, Romania, Bulgaria, even Poland,
where most part of the people is quite far from to be
satisfied with their economic situation, - for them it
was not just 'initially' but remains to be persistently
painful up to now.

"After months of waffling, Yanukovych, who was ousted
from office in 2004 over corruption and has a long history
with Putin, chose the money."

Yanukovich was not 'ousted from office in 2004 over
corruption', but it would be more truely to notice that
Youchshenko, who came to office in dubious way, on wave of
then protest moods, in 2004, is also greatly responsible
for the present-day condition of the Ukrainian economy.

"As clashes grew more violent, disparate factions joined,
uniting liberals, moderates, technocrats, pro-European and
far-right nationalists."

Here is a lie as well - cause and effect are reversed - the
'far-right nationalists' were the main force who made the
clashes 'more violent', but not the opposite.

"More than 100 people died in the protests, many apparently
killed by snipers on Yanukovych's orders, or beaten by the
Berkut, the riot police later disbanded and offered Russian
passports following the revolution."

The 100 people include about 15 shot by the protesters, and
there is still no any evidence of 'Yanukovych's orders' nor
that the police beat the protesters for death.

The Russian passports were offered to servicemen of Berkut
already after the coup, when the far right militants started
their witch-hunting in Ukraine.

"Moscow has also announced an 80% hike in gas prices; a gas
war would cripple Ukraine's economy even further."

Moscow didn't increase the gas prices for Ukraine, it just
removed the discounts to which there was agreement with
Yanukovich's government, - this removal is entirely legal
within the frame of gas contract in force between Ukraine
and Russia.

tag-along

Apr 13, 2014, 1:30:43 PM4/13/14
On 4/12/2014 1:25 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> Putin calls Europe itself to take concern about Ukraine's debt for gas.

Fuck off, Putin-whore.

http://www.ibtimes.com/russians-move-beyond-crimea-plant-mines-ukrainians-say-1560613

Apparent Russian troops moved north of the Crimean border and into
Ukraine proper last week, locals told Fox News. Residents of Chonhar, a
small village just north of the peninsula, say the troops showed up last
week before being driven out and may have planted landmines.

The Russian troops refused to say who they were when confronted by
Chonhar residents, continuing the bizarre denial policy of Russia.
Ukrainian troops showed up and there was a standoff. The Russians pulled
back across the border and set up a checkpoint along one of Crimea's
major roadways to the regional capital, Simferopol, according to the report.

tag-along

Apr 13, 2014, 1:31:39 PM4/13/14
On 4/12/2014 12:46 PM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> More from the London Pravda

Oleg Smirnov

Apr 13, 2014, 4:36:08 PM4/13/14
<http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/11/opinion/opinion-tisdall-putin-kerry/index.html>

There is a bit of a pattern emerging here.
Take Egypt for example. In November last year, during a Middle East
tour, Kerry gave his backing to the military junta that deposed the
country's elected Muslim Brotherhood President, Mohamed Morsy, and
brutally repressed thousands of his supporters.
Kerry declared that Egypt was following a "roadmap" back to democracy
and that Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, the general in charge, enjoyed his
confidence. Since then, the repression has only gotten worse, and
Egyptian democracy has become a bad joke. Hundreds of Brotherhood
supporters were sentenced to death in risibly unfair court trials, amid
a widening crackdown on political dissent and independent media. ..

Kerry's behavior in all these cases was delusional and out of touch ..

Actually, 'Putin' is not 'dictating'.

That's again all about the penis enlargement, but not about people.

tag-along

Apr 13, 2014, 4:56:38 PM4/13/14
On 4/13/2014 2:36 PM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> Actually, 'Putin' is not 'dictating'.

Ya he is, also he's got a possum face.

http://mattobriencomedy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/possum.jpg

Oleg Smirnov

Apr 25, 2014, 9:55:06 AM4/25/14
Here is pretty known thing.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments>
Though some minds tend to take it in too narrow context.

Meanwhile, just do look around.

It's easy to see who plays the role of the 'majority of
confederates' in the modern mediacratic societies. That
are not those who constitute the numerical majority.
But those who are most visible and hearable are the most
existent (that's what 'existence' etymologically means).

Oleg Smirnov

May 19, 2014, 9:47:54 AM5/19/14
<http://tinyurl.com/ojqc692> the LP

This week's crucial vote is in Europe – but not in the European Union
If Ukraine can hold a democratic election for its president next
Sunday, there's a hope it can return to peaceful negotiations ..
Unless all the opinion polls are wrong, the 28 national elections will
produce a large vote for a zoological array of "anti" parties – from
Ukip in Britain, Jobbik in Hungary, the Front National in France to
Syriza in Greece. Most of these are on the xenophobic right, ..

No, Ukraine can not hold election for its president next Sunday.
Objectionable candidates were beaten (literally), and forced to leave.
Most of the people in the territories controlled by the junta were
well intimidated, and many are living now in fear just being afraid to
say what they think.

Even according to Western polls, in April, only 40% believed that the
elections will be fair. The number is average, without regard to the
regional division. After recent developments (including killings of
civilians in Odessa and Mariupol) and the growing terror of pro-junta
paramilitary units against civilians the number has likely decreased.

The juxtaposition of 'democratic' election in Ukraine with 'zoological
array of "anti" parties' is nice since the current coup-imposed regime
in Ukraine is much more 'zoological' than the mentioned.

Whatever the case ended in Ukraine, it has already become catastrophic
moral defeat of the Western 'democracy promotion' bullshit, if some
still don't understand it, then it will become obvious in the future.

Rolling Block

May 19, 2014, 12:01:23 PM5/19/14
On 5/19/2014 7:47 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> This week's crucial vote is in Europe –

http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-vote-sovereignty-declared-farce-amid-reports-voter-fraud-1582923

Two unofficial referendums held in eastern Ukraine were declared a
“farce” on Monday, with no legal basis, by the Kiev government and the West.

Pro-Russian separatists in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have said 89
percent and 96 percent, respectively, have voted for “self-rule.” Russia
said it will respect the outcome and urged the results of the vote to be
implemented without violence. However, it has not detailed what further
actions should be taken.

Before the polls closed, pro-Russian separatists said the region will
form its own state bodies and military. Others have said the region’s
fate – whether secession or annexation by Russia – will be decided later.

A spokesman for pro-Russian separatists in Luhansk said they may hold a
referendum to join Russia, state news agency RIA reported.

"If this decision (to hold a referendum on joining Russia) is taken,
then, respectively, the will of the people will be taken into account,"
RIA cited a spokesman for the pro-Russian separatists.

Throughout the polling process on Sunday, several news organizations,
including CNN and BBC, witnessed several people voting twice at polling
stations where the ballot boxes were decorated in Donetsk independence
flags. Outdated registration lists were used and there were few identity
checks. A report of a video also surfaced with three men arrested near
Slovyansk with boxes of "yes" ballots in their car.

"These processes are inspired by the leadership of the Russian
Federation and are destructive to the Donetsk and Luhansk regions'
economies and threaten the lives and welfare of citizens and have the
aim of destabilizing the situation in Ukraine," acting Ukrainian
President Oleksander Turchinov said in a statement. "The farce, which
terrorists call the referendum, will have no legal consequences except
the criminal responsibility for its organizers."

http://www.wmur.com/national/ukraine-referendum-held-among-smoldering-ruins/25919740

Voters in the city of Donetsk faced this question on the ballot: "Do you
support the Act of Independence of the People's Republic of Donetsk?"
The options are "yes" or "no." A similar question is being put to voters
in Luhansk.

Many of the voters were not on the outdated registration lists but were
allowed to vote after showing identification documents.

There also seemed to be no system in place to prevent one person from
voting at multiple polling stations.

A CNN crew saw several people vote twice at one polling station, where
the ballot boxes were decorated with new Donetsk independence flags.

There was also a report of video showing three men arrested near
Slovyansk with boxes of "yes" ballots in their car.

Whatever the outcome, the vote has already been condemned as
illegitimate by several Western powers.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Saturday, "We consider the
referendum ... illegitimate and focus on the (presidential) election on
May 25 in the entire Ukraine."

Oleg Smirnov

May 22, 2014, 4:10:28 PM5/22/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/22/behemoth-ordered-leave-russia-metal>

"Controversial metal band Behemoth ordered to leave Russia / The Polish group,
who released their album The Satanist earlier this year, are to be deported
midway through their tour ..

Frontman Adam "Nergal" Darski has told local media that he and seven members
of the band's touring party were held in Yekaterinburg for not having the work
visas needed to tour in Russia."

As far as I can understand the true reason isn't visas but indignant protests
by the conservative, pro-traditionalist and pro-Orthodox youth groups against
the band. That's the result of the pussy-riot campaign in the Western media.
This campaign has stirred up strong traditionalist sentiment in Russia, and so
the fighters against 'controversial' things have become much more active now.

Rolling Block

May 22, 2014, 5:18:17 PM5/22/14
On 5/22/2014 2:10 PM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> "Controversial metal band Behemoth ordered to leave Russia

http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-vote-sovereignty-declared-farce-amid-reports-voter-fraud-1582923

Two unofficial referendums held in eastern Ukraine were declared a
“farce†on Monday, with no legal basis, by the Kiev government and
the West.

Pro-Russian separatists in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have said 89
percent and 96 percent, respectively, have voted for “self-rule.â€
Russia said it will respect the outcome and urged the results of the
vote to be implemented without violence. However, it has not detailed
what further actions should be taken.

Before the polls closed, pro-Russian separatists said the region will
form its own state bodies and military. Others have said the region’s
fate – whether secession or annexation by Russia – will be decided

Byker

May 22, 2014, 7:41:54 PM5/22/14
"Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru> wrote in message
> <http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/22/behemoth-ordered-leave-russia-metal>
>
> "Controversial metal band Behemoth ordered to leave Russia / The Polish
> group,
> who released their album The Satanist earlier this year, are to be
> deported
> midway through their tour ..

That reminds me of a Soviet-era joke:

Q: What is a quartet?

A: What's left of a Communist symphony orchestra after a tour of the West.

Rolling Block

May 23, 2014, 1:01:01 PM5/23/14
On 5/22/2014 2:10 PM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> As far as I can understand the true reason isn't

http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-vote-sovereignty-declared-farce-amid-reports-voter-fraud-1582923

Two unofficial referendums held in eastern Ukraine were declared a
“farce” on Monday, with no legal basis, by the Kiev government and the West.

Pro-Russian separatists in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have said 89
percent and 96 percent, respectively, have voted for “self-rule.” Russia
said it will respect the outcome and urged the results of the vote to be
implemented without violence. However, it has not detailed what further
actions should be taken.

Before the polls closed, pro-Russian separatists said the region will
form its own state bodies and military. Others have said the region’s
fate – whether secession or annexation by Russia – will be decided later.

Oleg Smirnov

May 26, 2014, 6:23:08 AM5/26/14
<http://www.telecomstechnews.com/news/2014/may/16/the-opportunity-presented-by-russias-new-payment-system-is-a-mixed-bag/>
Since the economic sanctions took effect, and a small number of
banks lost their Visa and MasterCard access, political rhetoric and now
legislation have been gathering steam as Russian authorities look to
set up their own payment network using JCB and UnionPay as their model.

<http://www.dallasblog.com/201405261010344/dallas-blog/japanese-card-payment-system-eyes-russia.html>

Japanese Card Payment System Eyes Russia / Japanese corporations are
investing big time in Russia amidst US and EU sanctions on Moscow.
.. "Japanese payment system (JCB) resumed moves to enter the Russian
market and in the near future may submit the necessary paperwork to
the Russian Central Bank .." .. China and Japan could rake in enormous
profits to fill in the void slower US and EU investments flowing into
Russia.

Rolling Block

May 26, 2014, 1:24:21 PM5/26/14
On 5/26/2014 4:23 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> Since the economic sanctions took effect,

Fuck off, Ivan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/25/ukraine-elections/9565057/

MARIUPOL, Ukraine — Ukrainians chose "Chocolate King" Petro Poroshenko
as president Sunday, according to exit polls, in elections that may
determine the future of the troubled former Soviet republic reeling from
a separatist crisis.

Poroshenko, a lawmaker who runs the country's largest confectionary
manufacturer, won almost 56% of the vote, which surpassed the 50%
threshold needed to avoid a runoff against former prime minister Yulia
Tymoshenko, who came in second with almost 13%, polls showed.

Oleg Smirnov

May 26, 2014, 2:23:58 PM5/26/14
Rolling Block, <news:llvte7$c4s$9...@dont-email.me>

> http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/25/ukraine-elections/9565057/
>
> MARIUPOL, Ukraine — Ukrainians chose "Chocolate King"
> Petro Poroshenko as president Sunday, according to exit
> polls, in elections that may determine the future of the
> troubled former Soviet republic reeling from a separatist
> crisis.
>
> Poroshenko, a lawmaker who runs the country's largest
> confectionary manufacturer, won almost 56% of the vote,
> which surpassed the 50% threshold needed to avoid a
> runoff against former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko,
> who came in second with almost 13%, polls showed.

Poroshenko is a corrupt Ukraine oligarch who made his
business fortune mainly when he served as high-ranking
official within previous corrupt Ukrainian governments.

Poroshenko was also known as one of main sponsors of the
Maidan protests, so he actually 'bought' the presidency
in this way.

Oleg Smirnov

May 26, 2014, 2:56:47 PM5/26/14
Rolling Block, <news:lm01sf$kk1$7...@dont-email.me>
> On 5/26/2014 12:23 PM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> Poroshenko is a corrupt Ukraine oligarch who made his
>> business fortune mainly when he served as high-ranking
>> official within previous corrupt Ukrainian governments.
>>
>> Poroshenko was also known as one of main sponsors of the
>> Maidan protests, so he actually 'bought' the presidency
>> in this way.
>
> I know, and you were hoping for a corrupt Russian, oh

I wanted regular elections in Ukraine on schedule
where the people of Ukraine could express their will
decently. But your evil and lying government arranged
coup d'etat and sort of civil war there. You're a
sheeple, and your government is the source of evil.

> well...fuck off.

Oleg Smirnov

May 26, 2014, 3:46:00 PM5/26/14
Rolling Block, <news:lm04ga$8p4$6...@dont-email.me>
> BULLSHIT!!
>
> YOU wanted to invade and take the nation back into the
> new USSR Putin is forming.

You stupid, brainwashed dickhead living in a virtual reality.

Oleg Smirnov

Jul 29, 2014, 8:40:39 AM7/29/14
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/24/its-not-just-about-the-malaysian-flight-russians-are-living-in-an-alternate-reality/>

".. Russians are living in an alternate reality

MOSCOW — Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 has already shined a spotlight on
the Russian public’s somewhat, um, unique views. Russian media are running
with conspiracy theories: that MH17 was shot down by NATO to spark a
conflict with Russia, that MH17 wasn’t full of innocent civilians but
week-old corpses, or that MH17 was shot down because it was mistaken for
Vladimir Putin’s personal jet (as if anti-aircraft missiles weren’t aimed
with radar but with a really large pair of binoculars). The only theory
missing is the right one: that Russian-backed separatists accidentally
shot down the plane when they mistook it for a Ukrainian military transport."

I'd not say that Russian media are obsessed with conspiracy theories. The
main accent is, "let's wait for proper investigation". And the possibility
of deliberate provocation is not rejected.

"I recently moved to Moscow, and it’s hard to miss the extent to which
Russian society exists in an alternate universe. Even well-educated,
sophisticated people who have traveled widely in Europe and North America
will frequently voice opinions that, in an American context, would place
them alongside people wearing tinfoil hats. Russia is not living in the
reality-based community.
One particularly easy and glaring example is Russian TV reporters,
filing from Eastern Ukraine, who say they are reporting from the “Lugansk
People’s Republic” or the “Donetsk People’s Republic.” Regardless of your
views on the worsening civil war in Ukraine, which is not a neat story of
black and white or right and wrong, it is obvious that these republics are
almost entirely fictitious and that their “territory” is largely confined
to a handful of government buildings. Despite their extremely dubious
claims to legitimacy, the non-existent states are treated with deadly
earnestness by both the state media and large numbers of ordinary
Russians."

If they were just "a handful of government buildings" then there would
not be combat operations around this territory. The Russians understand
that people's commitment to autonomy in the conflict regions is genuine
while the Westerners were from the very beginning heavily brainwashed
that that's Putin who sends diversionists there. Here's the difference.

"On almost any other issue you can think of, Russian views differ
radically from the consensus here in America. Russians have extremely
different opinions about the conflict in Syria, viewing the war in that
unlucky country not as a brave struggle for freedom but as a chaotic war
of all against all. They have different views about the war in Libya,
where they see the overthrow of Gaddafi not as a new beginning but as the
start of chaos and disorder."

True (but it's really true).

"They have different views about 9/11, with
shockingly large numbers of Russians supporting “alternate” explanations
of one of history’s most carefully studied and well-documented terrorist
attacks. (I was recently asked what “theory” of the attacks I supported
only to be told that it was “my opinion” after I noted that al-Qaeda was
clearly and obviously responsible.) Even something as seemingly
straightforward and non-political as a meteor strike attracted a range of
bizarre theories and pseudo-scientific “explanations” like the onset of
an alien invasion or the testing of a new American super weapon. These
wacky ideas (“the aliens are attacking Siberia!” “The grand masons are
responsible for 9/11!”) would be extremely funny if they didn’t represent
such a tragic deficit of reason."

False. The 'numbers' of the Russians supporting 'alternate explanations'
and 'conspiracy theories' is not much different from the numbers of those
in the West. I can't remember the wave of conspiracies in Russian media
related to the recent Chelyabinsk meteor, but I noticed several articles
in the Western media claimed that the stupid Russians believe in 'the
aliens attacking Siberia' etc. It's unlikely the writer really had many
conversations with common people in Russia but more likely he had read
these articles. Or maybe he had contacts with the 'liberal intelligentsia'
in Moscow, those 'experts' love to tell what the Westerners like to hear.

At the bottom line, what this torrent of lies intended to serve for? It's
obvious that it serves for promotion of racist(-like) views against the
Russians among the Western public. The very same ideas used by Hitler for
justifying his invasion exist in the modern Western discourse, they were
just camouflaged and 'ennobled' with rants about 'Putin propaganda' etc.

Oleg Smirnov

Jul 29, 2014, 8:44:37 AM7/29/14
<http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/07/28/war-coming-paul-craig-roberts/>

War Is Coming

Paul Craig Roberts

The extraordinary propaganda being conducted against Russia by the US and
UK governments and Ministries of Propaganda, a.k.a., the “Western media,”
have the purpose of driving the world to war that no one can win. European
governments need to rouse themselves from insouciance, because Europe will
be the first to be vaporized due to the US missile bases that Europe hosts
to guarantee its “security.” ..

The wealth of the elites is based not only on looting weaker countries
whose leaders can be purchased (read John Perkins’Confessions of an
Economic Hit Man for instruction on how the looting works), but also on
looting their own citizens. The American elites excel at looting their
fellow citizens and have wiped out most of the US middle class in the new
21st century.

In contrast, Russia has emerged from tyranny and from a government based
on lies, while the US and UK submerge into tyranny shielded by lies.
Western elites desire to loot Russia, a juicy prize, and there stands
Putin in the way. The solution is to get rid of him like they got rid of
President Yanukovich in Ukraine.

The looting elites and the neoconservative hegemonists have the same
goal: make Russia a vassal state. This goal unites the Western financial
imperialists with the political imperialists.

Oleg Smirnov

Jul 31, 2014, 3:55:04 AM7/31/14
<http://echo.msk.ru/blog/troitsky/1369902-echo/>

Progressive Russian intelligentsia reflects: the Stalin's
regime was bad but we had to fight against Hitler. Now we
don't much like Putin, but the Western aggression we face now
(in another, not so military form) undoubtedly resembles the
Hitler attack on the USSR.

"I don't like our current Commander in Chief. But he is ours,
he didn't fall from the sky, he relies on the sentiments of
the majority of our people, and only we can resign him if we
find it necessary. Not by a revolt, but only by evolutionary
and peaceful way.

And even more I'm opposed to the idea that stupid creatures
with IQ level of Mrs. Psaki may meddle into our internal
problems and set their control here. They can only arrange
chaos and mess. They did that in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya,
and now they are going to do that in Syria as well.

'Export of democracy' and enforced 'progressiveness' is new
type of aggression. I find it principal to resist to it. Now
the enemy has shown himself, and the masks have dropped. This
war'll be for a long time. I am not sure who will win. But I
am certainly will not fight against my own homeland."

By the way, all this proves one of my basic ideas that the
aggression from the West (which for centuries goes in one
or another form) against Russia is the main factor that
regularly strengthens Russian authoritarianism: when people
are forced to choose they prefer the authoritarianism.

Oleg Smirnov

Jul 31, 2014, 8:29:13 AM7/31/14
<http://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/flugzeug-absturz-in-der-ost-ukraine-putin-erhebt-vorwuerfe-gegen-ukraine/10227474-2.html>
The EU and the U.S. tighten economic sanctions against
Russia. Is it a useful step?

35% Yes, it's the only way to correct Putin's foreign policy.
25% No, the sanctions will hurt Europe itself.
40% The sanctions against Russia are unjustified.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Tagesspiegel>

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 4, 2014, 1:32:31 PM8/4/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/western-media-coverage-ukraine-crisis-russia>
24% western media should do better
11% true objectivity is impossible
17% Putin alone is responsible for his Cold War caricature
48% biased journalism robs the west of its moral authority

DVH

Aug 4, 2014, 1:45:26 PM8/4/14
That's a great article.

"The star for mendacity goes to Russian TV. This is not the entire
Russian press – there are opposition newspapers and the relatively free
internet which regularly challenge Russian official narratives. But more
than 90% of Russians get their news from their unrelentingly
propagandist state TV channels.

These channels have painted a monolithic and fictitious picture of
Ukraine threatened by fascist hordes. The downing of flight MH17 brought
a wall of assertions – implausible but believed by more than 80% of
Russians, according to a recent survey – of Kiev’s guilt. Sadly, despite
a lifetime of being lied to by their authorities, Russians still accept
what their government tells them."

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 4, 2014, 2:15:26 PM8/4/14
DVH, <news:lrogro$qab$1...@dont-email.me>
> On 04/08/2014 18:32, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> <http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/western-media-coverage-ukraine-crisis-russia>
>>
>> 24% western media should do better
>> 11% true objectivity is impossible
>> 17% Putin alone is responsible for his Cold War caricature
>> 48% biased journalism robs the west of its moral authority
>
> That's a great article.

That's their feeble effort to simulate objectivism.

> "The star for mendacity goes to Russian TV. This is not
> the entire Russian press – there are opposition
> newspapers and the relatively free internet which
> regularly challenge Russian official narratives. But more
> than 90% of Russians get their news from their
> unrelentingly propagandist state TV channels.
> These channels have painted a monolithic and fictitious
> picture of Ukraine threatened by fascist hordes. The
> downing of flight MH17 brought a wall of assertions –
> implausible but believed by more than 80% of Russians,
> according to a recent survey – of Kiev’s guilt. Sadly,
> despite a lifetime of being lied to by their authorities,
> Russians still accept what their government tells them."

It's very funny to see how the sheep like you seek
to convince themselves that the Russians are totally
brainwashed by state-sponsored propaganda.

The further the opposite it looks like.

DVH

Aug 4, 2014, 2:42:32 PM8/4/14
On 04/08/2014 19:15, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> DVH, <news:lrogro$qab$1...@dont-email.me>
>> On 04/08/2014 18:32, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
>
>>> <http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/western-media-coverage-ukraine-crisis-russia>
>>>

>>> 24% western media should do better
>>> 11% true objectivity is impossible
>>> 17% Putin alone is responsible for his Cold War caricature
>>> 48% biased journalism robs the west of its moral authority
>>
>> That's a great article.
>
> That's their feeble effort to simulate objectivism.

You mean like Ayn Rand?

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 6, 2014, 9:00:01 AM8/6/14
<http://en.itar-tass.com/world/743747>

European and US companies’ total capitalization lost about $4.5 billion by
the middle of Wednesday as Russia reacted to EU sanctions on Russian
low-cost air carrier operating flights to Crimea Dobrolyot.

Finnair dropped 2.2% to 2.6 euro per stock; the cap declined 30 million
euros over two days. Air-France lost 4.7% with 7.15 euros per stock (the
cap plummeted 11% - more than 220 million euros).

German Lufthansa dropped 2.9% to 12.45 euros per stock, 10% down in two
days (about 570 million euros). Irish low-cost Ryanair slid 2% to 6.61 euros
per stock losing about 184 million euros of cap.

Two trading sessions stripped International Airlines Group of 6.5%, or
more than $745 million. On Wednesday, the corporation’s stocks on London
Stock Exchange are down 1.9%
On Wednesday night, the US airlines fared poorly on US stock exchanges.
Delta closed 2.82% down at $36.23 per stock, its cap down by $1.1 billion.
American Airlines fell 2.5% to $37.18 per stock (the cap down 675 million).
United Airlines collapsed 3.43% to $43.94 per stock down $562 million.

The EU will nicely play a negative sum game.

abelard

Aug 6, 2014, 9:20:20 AM8/6/14
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:00:01 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:
it may be a lot to a person like you in a backward economy...but
it is small change against the scale of western economies

--
www.abelard.org

---

Beli

Aug 6, 2014, 9:30:54 AM8/6/14
In article <eqa4u95ple1hbh98t...@4ax.com>, abelard
<abel...@abelard.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:00:01 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
> wrote:
>
> ><http://en.itar-tass.com/world/743747>
> >
> >European and US companiesÔøΩ total capitalization lost about $4.5 billion by
> >the middle of Wednesday as Russia reacted to EU sanctions on Russian
> >low-cost air carrier operating flights to Crimea Dobrolyot.
> >
> >Finnair dropped 2.2% to 2.6 euro per stock; the cap declined 30 million
> >euros over two days. Air-France lost 4.7% with 7.15 euros per stock (the
> >cap plummeted 11% - more than 220 million euros).
> >
> >German Lufthansa dropped 2.9% to 12.45 euros per stock, 10% down in two
> >days (about 570 million euros). Irish low-cost Ryanair slid 2% to 6.61 euros
> >per stock losing about 184 million euros of cap.
> >
> >Two trading sessions stripped International Airlines Group of 6.5%, or
> >more than $745 million. On Wednesday, the corporationÔøΩs stocks on London
> >Stock Exchange are down 1.9%
> >On Wednesday night, the US airlines fared poorly on US stock exchanges.
> >Delta closed 2.82% down at $36.23 per stock, its cap down by $1.1 billion.
> >American Airlines fell 2.5% to $37.18 per stock (the cap down 675 million).
> >United Airlines collapsed 3.43% to $43.94 per stock down $562 million.
>
> it may be a lot to a person like you in a backward economy...but
> it is small change against the scale of western economies

The scale of US debt is indeed enormous. And Britain is what one in the
previous century would have called a 'developing' country. Poverty is
on the rise.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 6, 2014, 9:26:45 AM8/6/14
abelard, <news:eqa4u95ple1hbh98t...@4ax.com>
A good beginning makes a good ending.

abelard

Aug 6, 2014, 9:44:25 AM8/6/14
On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 15:30:54 +0200, Beli <baihe...@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>In article <eqa4u95ple1hbh98t...@4ax.com>, abelard
><abel...@abelard.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:00:01 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ><http://en.itar-tass.com/world/743747>
>> >
>> >European and US companies� total capitalization lost about $4.5 billion by
>> >the middle of Wednesday as Russia reacted to EU sanctions on Russian
>> >low-cost air carrier operating flights to Crimea Dobrolyot.
>> >
>> >Finnair dropped 2.2% to 2.6 euro per stock; the cap declined 30 million
>> >euros over two days. Air-France lost 4.7% with 7.15 euros per stock (the
>> >cap plummeted 11% - more than 220 million euros).
>> >
>> >German Lufthansa dropped 2.9% to 12.45 euros per stock, 10% down in two
>> >days (about 570 million euros). Irish low-cost Ryanair slid 2% to 6.61 euros
>> >per stock losing about 184 million euros of cap.
>> >
>> >Two trading sessions stripped International Airlines Group of 6.5%, or
>> >more than $745 million. On Wednesday, the corporation�s stocks on London
>> >Stock Exchange are down 1.9%
>> >On Wednesday night, the US airlines fared poorly on US stock exchanges.
>> >Delta closed 2.82% down at $36.23 per stock, its cap down by $1.1 billion.
>> >American Airlines fell 2.5% to $37.18 per stock (the cap down 675 million).
>> >United Airlines collapsed 3.43% to $43.94 per stock down $562 million.
>>
>> it may be a lot to a person like you in a backward economy...but
>> it is small change against the scale of western economies
>>

>The scale of US debt is indeed enormous. And Britain is what one in the
>previous century would have called a 'developing' country. Poverty is
>on the rise.

britain has an economy the same order as russia...before
the loon in moscow started stripping of his shirt for the
'man' magazines....

yet the uk has half the population and an around 1/70th
the land area.....

russia is a aging and ailing giant with nothing but posturing
to offer the real world

White Spirit

Aug 6, 2014, 9:53:12 AM8/6/14
On 06/08/2014 14:26, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> abelard, <news:eqa4u95ple1hbh98t...@4ax.com>

>> it may be a lot to a person like you in a backward
>> economy...but it is small change against the scale of
>> western economies

> A good beginning makes a good ending.

You've obviously never read Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series.

White Spirit

Aug 6, 2014, 9:55:28 AM8/6/14
On 06/08/2014 14:44, abelard wrote:

> russia is a aging and ailing giant with nothing but posturing
> to offer the real world

I think the term 'red dwarf' sounds appropriate.

abelard

Aug 6, 2014, 9:57:03 AM8/6/14
i shall note it
though it's hardly up to being a dwarf

and dwarf may be outlawed as offensive to real dwarves

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 6, 2014, 10:37:13 AM8/6/14
White Spirit, <news:c4eqa9...@mid.individual.net>
You seem to be trying to tell me something.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 6, 2014, 10:36:56 AM8/6/14
> <http://en.itar-tass.com/world/743747>

<http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/06/rising-ukraine-tension-european-markets>

Rising tension over Ukraine forces down European markets ..

Growing fears of a military conflict between Russia and Ukraine sent
shares lower on Europe's bourses and pushed the euro to a nine-month
low against the dollar. ..

Amid concerns that the four-year crisis in the eurozone could be
entering a new phase, Germany reported a hefty drop in industrial
orders occurring even before the latest bout of tensions between
Moscow and Kiev. Meanwhile, the single currency's third-biggest
economy – Italy – reported it had fallen back into recession after two
quarters of falling output.

In London, the FTSE 100 index was down by more than 90 points at
6589.5 by mid-morning – a drop of 1.4%. Shares were down by more than
1% in Paris and Frankfurt, and by more than 2% in Milan.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 8, 2014, 1:57:48 AM8/8/14
<http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/25213-why-the-us-and-britain-lost-russia-in-2014>

Despite differences between them, the United States and Britain share profound
faults in their political systems. Because of these faults, both make bad
decisions in foreign policy. In this current crisis in Ukraine, I think both
made these mistakes.
English-speaking people have a long-term disdain for Russia or hostility to
Russia. It is deep in our literature and lore about Russia, and we neither
recognize it as a prejudice, nor deal with it. ..

So here is my argument: White males in Britain and US are angry and insecure.
Unscrupulous politicians play on these fears. They use an argument about
democracy and human rights to make political theater, and Russia provides them
with their current opportunity for political theater. Unscrupulous, these US
and British politicians can seem decisive by being angry at Russia. Their
argument is circular. They assume that the United States and Britain embody
democracy and human rights. Any opposition to United States or Britain is ipso
facto an opposition to democracy and human rights. Russia is inferior because
it lacks democracy and human rights, and it lacks them because it opposes
US-British policy. Therefore, the United States and Britain are right to
oppose Russia. .. Many other Europeans are uneasy about the English-speaking
hostility to Russia. ..

Angry white males made the British and US parliamentary or legislative systems
dysfunctional. That is the essential background for foreign policy. Angry
white males make compromise difficult in domestic politics. Politicians find
political theater useful in foreign policy because they can do nothing in
domestic politics. Since they cannot do anything real at home, the politicians
deal in illusions abroad. Angry white males are the constituency to whom these
theatrical illusions are especially directed.

When white males in Britain and the United States are angry, it is because
they have lost power at home and because they fear that their country has lost
power abroad. Recently, as the Bible says, a new pharaoh arose in Egypt who
knew not Joseph. Heterosexual Christian white males have been in charge of
Britain and United States time out of mind. White males experienced a loss of
control in both countries, and power passed to a coalition of women and
minorities, sexual, religious, racial, etc. This change seems permanent. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 9, 2014, 8:45:42 AM8/9/14
We somehow did not notice the fact that the whole concept of the
German conquest of the East was entirely written off from the works
of Russian masters of literature. The main ideas of Parteigenosse
Alfred Rosenberg [about Russia] almost literally were borrowed from
comrade Maxim Gorky. Dostoevsky was sucked off to the bone. Gold
placers of Tolstoy's Nonresistance were elaborated till the last
grains of sand. ..

I tell elsewhere about my hopeless disputes with those German
professors in Berlin in 1938 / 39. Here I want to state just one
fact: the Germans knew Russian literature well, and the Germans
drew politically correct conclusions from it, following the [formal]
logics of the written. ..

German professors - the mom and dad of the rest of the professors
in the world - most clearly reflect the basic Hegelian point "so
much the worse for the facts". I listed them the facts. But against
each fact each professor could put forward a quotation, sort of from
Maxim Gorky. The quotation was correct, indisputable, and accurate.
It didn't cost a penny, but it was "scientific". So it was in the
minds of the whole Germany, and with it, perhaps, in the rest of the
[Western] world. Russian literary output made deliberately false
image of Russia, and this image provoked Germany into war. Russian
literary output was artistic, but it was almost absolute lie. Now
there's no doubt about that.

.. So our poor Fritz climbed to conquer Zoshchenko's characters
and Chekhov's unnecessary people. And ran into a Russian, which has
not been described in any literature. I saw this Fritz during the
war. He was not as offended as amazed: excuse me, how can it be, it
contradicts what they wrote and spoke to us for hundred of years. ..

Quotation from "The People's Monarchy", Ivan Solonevich (1891-1953)

<http://www.insellbooks.com/books/385686.html>
After brief search I'm not sure whether the book was translated in
English or not. The above translation is mine.

Solonevich's thoughts are rather discordant, but some of notices
are interesting. Someone who want to get screwed with Russia issues
might be interested to read it. The idea that the Westerners just
could not take in proper (not 'literal') meaning the features of
hyperbolization specific for Russian literature makes some sense.

On the other hand, such writers like Maxim Gorky don't belong to
Russian literature in 'classical' sense. Maxim Gorky was largely a
Bolshevist agitator (Zoshchenko was also not aside of that trend).
As I wrote in another thread, to justify the rude and terrorist
policies, the Bolshevist propaganda had to artificially exaggerate
the idea of the incredible horrors of previous tsarist regime, and
it left its imprint in the Western minds as well.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 9, 2014, 6:04:59 PM8/9/14
<http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/744227>

MOSCOW, August 09, /ITAR-TASS/. Anti-submarine forces of the Russian
Northern Fleet located and ‘pushed out’ from the Russian border waters
a foreign submarine, a high-ranking representative of the Navy’s General
Staff said on Saturday.
“On August 7, 2014, the Northern Fleet located in the Barents Sea a
foreign submarine, supposedly of the Virginia class of the U.S. Navy,”
the source said.
“Active actions of the Northern Fleet’s anti-submarine forces ‘pushed
out’ the submarine from the border waters of the Russian Federation,”
the source said. “The contact with the submarine lasted for about 27
minutes, and then the American submarine left the region.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 10, 2014, 11:21:25 AM8/10/14
<http://www.handelsblatt.com/meinung/kommentare/essay-in-englisch-the-west-on-the-wrong-path/10308406.html>

If the West had judged the then US government which marched into
Iraq without a resolution by the UN and without proof of the
existence of “WMDs“ by the same standards as today Putin, then
George W. Bush would have immediately been banned from entering
the EU. The foreign investments of Warren Buffett should have
been frozen, the export of vehicles of the brands GM, Ford, and
Chrysler banned.

The American tendency to verbal and then also military escalation,
the isolation, demonization, and attacking of enemies has not
proven effective. The last successful major military action the US
conducted was the Normandy landing. Everything else – Korea,
Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan – was a clear failure. Moving NATO
units towards the Polish border and thinking about arming Ukraine
is a continuation of a lack of diplomacy by the military means.

This policy of running your head against the wall – and doing so
exactly where the wall is the thickest – just gives you a head
ache and not much else. And this considering that the wall has a
huge door in the relationship of Europe to Russia. And the key to
this door is labeled “reconciliation of interests“.

The first step is what Brandt called “compassion“, i.e. the
ability to see the world through the eyes of the others. We should
stop accusing the 143 million Russian that they look at the world
differently than John McCain.
..

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 14, 2014, 2:36:31 AM8/14/14
<http://m-simonyan.livejournal.com/85642.html>

"Dear Western Friends! So, what do you think about the effect of your
sanctions? Does it meet your expectations? Please, hire some proper experts
on us, - I could even suggest a couple of names, - those who understand not
how it should be, but how it really is and will be here. Good experts could
explain to you in advance that the sanctions will not soften Putin's policies
and will not terrify our people that love him en masse, but instead they will
tighten the policies and unify the people, so that our languid fingers are
now closing in an iron fist. They could explain to you that aggressive
rhetoric against us and those we have elected only strengthens our confidence
in the rightness of our choice. .. You have turned us into mode 'the Russians
never give up'. .."

I don't like her tune, but the main idea is correct, and I have repeated it
myself already many times: the more hostility and pressure to Russia from
the West, the more authoritarianism in Russia. Russian authoritarianism is
not an isolated phenomenon. It exists perpetuating itself as a defense
mechanism and reaction to the Western aggressive chauvinism and hypocricy.

DVH

Aug 14, 2014, 3:03:42 AM8/14/14
On 14/08/2014 07:36, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> <http://m-simonyan.livejournal.com/85642.html>
>
> "Dear Western Friends! So, what do you think about the effect of your
> sanctions? Does it meet your expectations?

We're not thinking about them very much. Putin is just one nuisance
among many.

> Please, hire some proper experts
> on us, - I could even suggest a couple of names, - those who understand not
> how it should be, but how it really is and will be here. Good experts
> could explain to you in advance that the sanctions will not soften
> Putin's policies
> and will not terrify our people that love him en masse, but instead they
> will
> tighten the policies and unify the people, so that our languid fingers
> are now closing in an iron fist. They could explain to you that
> aggressive rhetoric against us and those we have elected only
> strengthens our confidence
> in the rightness of our choice. .. You have turned us into mode 'the
> Russians
> never give up'. .."
>
> I don't like her tune, but the main idea is correct, and I have repeated it
> myself already many times: the more hostility and pressure to Russia
> from the West, the more authoritarianism in Russia.

So vote out the authoritarians.

You have free and fair elections, right?

Right?

Mr. B1ack

Aug 14, 2014, 12:02:26 PM8/14/14
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:36:31 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:
Russians resist ... even if it literally costs tens of millions
of lives, as Hitler discovered. It's in the culture, in the blood.
Trying to punish Russia only hardens its resolve.

The USA has long reserved the right to tamper with nations,
politics and economics "in our backyard". Well, Ukraine/Crimea
is in Russias "backyard" and it has much older and deeper
connections with that area than the US has in, say, the
bananna republics of central/south-america.

Obama has played the "Russia is EVIL" card however ...
implying that western interests ought to have priority "just
because". It's cold-war style politics & propaganda ... and
I'd hoped we were beyond that. Oh well, I guess both he
and John McCain get their orders (and paychecks) from
the same military-industrial and petrochemical masters.

In the end, this business of sanctions and recriminations
against Russia is only going to hurt the west - and while
it may hurt Russia, Russians won't CARE because they
see it as fighting the good fight against outside threats.

Ya know, none of this HAD to happen. Ukraine could have
decided to do MORE business with the west and STILL
do business with Russia. Being a "crossroads" in that
respect actually would have made Ukraine more
important in the world - richer too. Putin would have
gone for a proportional cut of the action back then too.
But once the coup happened ... too late.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 15, 2014, 2:12:56 AM8/15/14
Rutterkin, <news:lshml8$8v9$1...@speranza.aioe.org>
> On 2014-08-14 07:36, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> <http://m-simonyan.livejournal.com/85642.html>
>>
>> "Dear Western Friends! So, what do you think about the
>> effect of your sanctions? Does it meet your expectations?
>
> Largely, yes. David Cameron's empty gesture towards
> Russia is there to distract from his holocaust of
> Britain's poor and sick while his toff, bankster, rentier
> and Zionist buddies continue sucking the blood from
> working British people. He's a privileged, Israel-loving
> moron.
>
>> I don't like her tune, but the main idea is correct, and
>> I have repeated it myself already many times: the more
>> hostility and pressure to Russia
>> from the West, the more authoritarianism in Russia.
>> Russian authoritarianism is not an isolated phenomenon.
>> It exists perpetuating itself as a defense mechanism and
>> reaction to the Western aggressive chauvinism and
>> hypocricy.
>
> Britain is governed by a corrupt, criminal, traitorous
> ruling caste. Anything which Russia does which undermines
> them is just fine by me.

The Russians generally distinguish between common
people and elites in the West, - for a long time it
was noticeable what the ordinary Westerners say about
Russia in forums and comments is more sane than the
attitude of the Western politicians.

The USSR, with all its good and bad things, posed an
existential threat for the Western elites, offering
an alternative for social management / justice, and
it was a vital necessity for Western establishment to
use media for turning away possible sympathy for it.

The post-Soviet Russia inherits part of this Soviet
heritage, but moreover, regardless of the Soviet legacy
the modern Russia offers certain alternative visions
in contrary to what the Western masterminds teach their
masses, and that's the main thing driving them nuts.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 15, 2014, 2:15:48 AM8/15/14
DVH, <news:lshn0f$n91$1...@dont-email.me>
> On 14/08/2014 07:36, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> <http://m-simonyan.livejournal.com/85642.html>
>>
>> "Dear Western Friends! So, what do you think about the
>> effect of your sanctions? Does it meet your expectations?
>
> We're not thinking about them very much. Putin is just
> one nuisance among many.

You and Abelard are funny.
Look here <http://tinyurl.com/meq7btt>.
It's number 1 and the most volumetric.

>> Please, hire some proper experts
>> on us, - I could even suggest a couple of names, - those
>> who understand not how it should be, but how it really
>> is and will be here. Good experts could explain to you
>> in advance that the sanctions will not soften Putin's
>> policies and will not terrify our people that love him
>> en masse, but instead they will tighten the policies and
>> unify the people, so that our languid fingers are now
>> closing in an iron fist. They could explain to you that
>> aggressive rhetoric against us and those we have elected
>> only strengthens our confidence in the rightness of our
>> choice. .. You have turned us into mode 'the Russians
>> never give up'. .."
>>
>> I don't like her tune, but the main idea is correct, and
>> I have repeated it myself already many times: the more
>> hostility and pressure to Russia from the West, the more
>> authoritarianism in Russia.
>
> So vote out the authoritarians.
>
> You have free and fair elections, right?
>
> Right?

A strong leader is needed to resist the West.

DVH

Aug 15, 2014, 2:35:39 AM8/15/14
On 15/08/2014 07:15, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> DVH, <news:lshn0f$n91$1...@dont-email.me>
>> On 14/08/2014 07:36, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
>
>>> <http://m-simonyan.livejournal.com/85642.html>
>>>
>>> "Dear Western Friends! So, what do you think about the
>>> effect of your sanctions? Does it meet your expectations?
>>
>> We're not thinking about them very much. Putin is just
>> one nuisance among many.
>
> You and Abelard are funny.
> Look here <http://tinyurl.com/meq7btt>.
> It's number 1 and the most volumetric.

What is number 1? And what does volumetric mean?

>>> Please, hire some proper experts
>>> on us, - I could even suggest a couple of names, - those
>>> who understand not how it should be, but how it really
>>> is and will be here. Good experts could explain to you
>>> in advance that the sanctions will not soften Putin's
>>> policies and will not terrify our people that love him
>>> en masse, but instead they will tighten the policies and
>>> unify the people, so that our languid fingers are now
>>> closing in an iron fist. They could explain to you that aggressive
>>> rhetoric against us and those we have elected
>>> only strengthens our confidence in the rightness of our
>>> choice. .. You have turned us into mode 'the Russians
>>> never give up'. .."
>>>
>>> I don't like her tune, but the main idea is correct, and
>>> I have repeated it myself already many times: the more
>>> hostility and pressure to Russia from the West, the more
>>> authoritarianism in Russia.
>>
>> So vote out the authoritarians.
>>
>> You have free and fair elections, right?
>>
>> Right?
>
> A strong leader is needed to resist the West.

Then stop fucking whining.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 15, 2014, 2:55:23 AM8/15/14
DVH, <news:lsk9ns$j4o$1...@dont-email.me>
> On 15/08/2014 07:15, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
>> DVH, <news:lshn0f$n91$1...@dont-email.me>

>>> We're not thinking about them very much. Putin is just
>>> one nuisance among many.
>>
>> You and Abelard are funny.
>> Look here <http://tinyurl.com/meq7btt>.
>> It's number 1 and the most volumetric.
>
> What is number 1? And what does volumetric mean?

I said, you are funny.
Here I'm not whining but considering things
in philosophical tune: the reguilar Western
crusades against Russian authoritarianism
is the main cause that regulary reconstitutes
and supports the Russian authoritarianism.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 15, 2014, 7:27:57 AM8/15/14
<http://www.mia.mk/en/Inside/RenderSingleNews/289/120573892>

Orban - EU shot itself in the foot with the sanctions against Russia
Friday, August 15, 2014 10:36 AM Budapest, 15 August 2014 (MIA) - The
European Union has shot itself in the foot, Hungarian Prime Minister
Victor Orban said, speaking about the sanctions imposed on Russia over
the Ukraine crisis.

- The policy of sanctions introduced by the West, by us, has brought
Russian sanctions that harm us more than we harmed them, Orban said.
"In politics, this is called shooting yourself in the foot", he added.

Meanwhile .. Finnish media report the country, which is a major trade
partner with Russia, is hit hard by the sanctions. Finnish Chamber of
Commerce has stated that half of all companies were affected so far.
Russia takes in 10 percent of Finnish exports and is the third largest
export partner for Finland.cc/10:35

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 22, 2014, 9:19:05 AM8/22/14
<http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/james-foley-went-looking-to-support-terrorists-in-syria-instead-they-cut-off-his-head/>

James Foley Went Looking to Support Terrorists in Syria, Instead They
Cut Off His Head .. James Foley was one of a new breed of activists
calling themselves journalists. He didn’t travel to report on a story,
but to promote an agenda. And the agendawas obvious from his Twitter
feed. .. Foley came to Syria to support the Sunni Islamist rebels
against the Syrian government. He was a vehement advocate and while he
didn’t necessarily side with any single group, he echoed the one sided
narrative rather than telling the truth about the Islamists. His
Twitter feed was full of urgings to arm the Jihadists. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 23, 2014, 1:43:35 AM8/23/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/21/matuishin-case-oleg-pavlov-review-dehumanisation-soviet-soldier>

Here's a fresh example when the Western public is faced
'features of hyperbolization specific for Russian
literature'. As I already wrote, I usually don't read
literature fiction, but due to this article I've forced
myself to read several Pavlov's novels in order to get
an idea what's it all about (it didn't take a long time
since my speed of reading is extremely high).

So I can say that Mr Oleg Pavlov is really powerful
writer, and his writings may be considered as a
continuation of genuine Russian literature tradition,
with a touch of 'modern postmodern'. The writer's
feature is, he's obsessed with and fixated on infernal
and very depressive things. There're interviews where
he recognizes that such a fixation is specific and
related to his personal experience. I'm far from the
idea that that's 'wrong' kind of literature. Various
sentiments and fixations, positive and depressive, have
right to exist in literature.

The question is, why The Guardian is interested first
and foremost in promotion of this kind of Russian
literature? The answer is, because it's important for
their editors' agenda to deliberately associate Russia
with depression and infernality. Pavlov's writings
would have looked organically as a part of the variety
of modern Russian literature authors. But the London
Pravda doesn't want to present the whole palette of
modern Russian literature but depressive things only.

That isn't The Guardian's only but common Western
attitude. For example, modern Russia's film directors
know well that it's possible for a Russia-made movie to
obtain an award in a Western film festival only if the
movie is sufficiently depressive. Some directors wanting
to obtain an award make such sort of movies for Western
public intentionally. The last example was 'Leviathan'
movie by Mr Zvyagintsev, in Cannes. One may read in the
Western media a few silly and ecstatic reviews of the
film. Russian public en masse (in the social networks as
well as in media) perceived the movie quite differently
because the Russians might notice that Mr Zvyagintsev,
the smart ass(hole), designed the film intentionally in
order to please the Western racist stereotypes about
Russia. Racism is a proper term here because the
deliberate profiling of cultural artifacts in order to
select certain 'tune' (in this case: the depression and
infernality) is usual and indispensable attribute of
racism. And The Guardian is one of the main flagships of
the Western media supporting the racism toward Russia,
masking it under sly cover of anti-Putin etc agenda.

The Russians discern it, eg. this reaction is natural:

<http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/39743628>

".. yet, all the moans are about Russia - why? - because you
are afraid of Russia and so you want russians to "revolt"
against their country and thus all those moans about "poor
russians who suffer so much" is just a continuation of a
line of a Big Game which aim is destroy Russia .."

<http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/39753556>

".. Like I said - all those moanings about "poor russians who
permanently suffer" is not a real compassion, but a nasty
political line aimed at stirring up unrest in Russia .."

The ingenuous (and likely young) author of these comments
rationalize it as 'aim at stirring up unrest in Russia' but
the real hostile thing is more generic and more ugly, that's
just the traditional Western racism towards Russia, the same
one that encouraged Hitler and Napoleon to wars.

In contrast to Mr Zvyagintsev, Mr Pavlov did not write his
novels with an aim of pleasing Western racists. Pavlov's
attitude towards the West and the pro-Western 'liberals'
in Russia, as it follows from his interviews, is rather
skeptical, he doesn't seek for cheap popularity in the West
on the basis of fake 'anti-Putin' passions. He is closer to
Russian traditionalism, the Orthodoxy, and things like that.
Nevertheless, The Guardian promotes him just because he is
very depressive.

At long last, you might question yourself, why would I be
interested to have adequate image of Russia, it's my right
to imagine Russia just the way I like it. To obtain a more
accurate answer to such a question you should re-read this
message from the very top. Ignorance is strength.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 24, 2014, 1:36:53 AM8/24/14
More reflections of progressive intelligentsia.

<https://www.facebook.com/holmogorov.egor/posts/10204897349139014>

"It's amazing how the West managed to completely destroy the
Russian Westernism just for six months. And in that moment
when it's really almost won the hearts of the Russians.
We were almost disappointed of those anti-Western accusatory
stories, and began to respect for their good elements, even
thinking that the EU is not so bad thing while there are
more important problems and enemies. The anti-Westernism as
a form of political speculation has almost ended being
functional in Russia. ..

But then, suddenly, - boom! They show their real ugly mag,
and it's so stinky and so bloody that it already does not
matter what they actually are, what they want, and what may
be beneficial. The only thing that matters now is the fact
that this is our enemy: cynical and vile, hypocritical and
infinitely cruel. All that could and should be done about
this is to be cruel, ruthless, and cynical against them as
well. It is impossible to believe them, hope for a dialogue,
and in general it is not possible to regard them as human
beings. After Obama and Merkel blessed the genocide whether
you consider them human beings? I do not. .."

From the comments:

"It's all was clear for me already when I was of 14 years
old, and they were bombing Belgrad. It's impossible to
expect anything good from the West. Just look at how they
attacked and destroyed Libya, just like a gang of bandits.
It is strange that someone has opened eyes just now .."

> <http://echo.msk.ru/blog/troitsky/1369902-echo/>
>
> Progressive Russian intelligentsia reflects: the Stalin's
> regime was bad but we had to fight against Hitler. Now we
> don't much like Putin, but the Western aggression we face
> now (in another, not so military form) undoubtedly
> resembles the Hitler attack on the USSR.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 24, 2014, 7:14:00 AM8/24/14
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/08/22/was-putin-right-about-syria/>

The irony of the moment is tragic. But to some, it doesn't come as
much of a surprise. Many cautioned against the earlier insistence
of the Obama administration (as well as other governments) that
Assad must go, fearing what would take hold in the vacuum.

One of those critics happened to be Russian President Vladimir
Putin, who warned against U.S. intervention in Syria in a New York
Times op-ed last September. He wrote:

A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of
terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the
Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and
further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa. It could
throw the entire system of international law and order out of
balance.

Some of the crises Putin catalogs have worsened anyway, no matter
American action or inaction. But Putin's insistence was couched
in a reading of the conflict in Syria that's more cold-blooded
than the view initially held by some in Washington. "Syria is not
witnessing a battle for democracy, but an armed conflict between
government and opposition in a multireligious country," Putin
wrote, suggesting that the nominally secular Assad regime, despite
its misdeeds, was a stabilizing force preferable to what could
possibly replace it.

Putin decried the growing Islamist cadres in the Syrian rebels'
ranks:

Mercenaries from Arab countries fighting there, and hundreds of
militants from Western countries and even Russia, are an issue of
our deep concern. Might they not return to our countries with
experience acquired in Syria?

That's a concern very publicly shared now by U.S. and European
officials, who are alarmed by the considerable presence of
European nationals among the Islamic State's forces. ..

Putin is not the only great genius, - what he wrote in the New
York Times article reflects rather common thoughts that exist in
Russian mainstream political analysis. But it seems the current
generation of the Western politicians and political analysts,
raised on the totalitarian neoliberalism, simplified anti-Soviet
concepts, and Batman movies, can not cope with the complexity of
the world. 80-90% of political analysis that I read in the MSM
in English contain either wishful lies or some idiocy, or a mix
of this and that.

DVH

Aug 24, 2014, 9:31:51 AM8/24/14
On 24/08/2014 06:36, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> Western aggression we face
>> now (in another, not so military form) undoubtedly
>> resembles the Hitler attack on the USSR.

Hysteria.

Why do they worry on so about the west.

The west hardly thinks about Putin-land at all, except when it invades
somewhere.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 24, 2014, 9:56:56 AM8/24/14
DVH, <news:ltcpg7$ipu$1...@dont-email.me>
I can read / watch what the West thinks by myself.

And you would better speak for yourself.

DVH

Aug 24, 2014, 10:31:21 AM8/24/14
So how do you explain it? Why are the Putinese obsessed with the west
when the west doesn't really care about Putin-land?

> And you would better speak for yourself.

You're the one who keeps dumping Moscow's propaganda screeds in this
newsgroup, not me.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 24, 2014, 11:18:35 AM8/24/14
DVH, <news:ltcsvo$aam$1...@dont-email.me>
> On 24/08/2014 14:56, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>>> The west hardly thinks about Putin-land at all, except
>>> when it invades somewhere.

Btw it didn't invade (in contrast to the US/UK.)

>> I can read / watch what the West thinks by myself.
>
> So how do you explain it? Why are the Putinese obsessed
> with the west when the west doesn't really care about
> Putin-land?

Several inadequacies in your sentence.

>> And you would better speak for yourself.
>
> You're the one who keeps dumping Moscow's propaganda
> screeds in this newsgroup, not me.

My posts mostly refer to Western sources,
and those Russian progressive intelligentsia
are neither Putinese nor propaganda.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 25, 2014, 3:22:44 PM8/25/14
<http://en.ria.ru/society/20140825/192333372/China-to-Replace-Google-Microsoft-With-Homegrown-OS.html>

MOSCOW, August 25 (RIA Novosti) – China has announced it would present its
own new operating system in October, 2014, Reuters reports.
"After concerns about US surveillance and a monopoly probe of Microsoft,
there is some good news for China's homegrown operating system (OS): a
desktop version may be ready in October," wrote Xinhua on August, 24.

As tensions between the US and China grows overcyber security issues,
Beijing is seeking a way to become independent of imported systems like
Microsoft's Windows and Google's Android. The new operating system is
expected to first appear on desktops and later to be adapted for smartphones,
tablets and other mobile devices. ..

Ni believes that a new homegrown operating system will replace the American
software within one or two years. However, it will take about three or five
years to supersede the imported mobile operating systems by OS developed by
Chinese programmers.

After Ukraine-related smear campaign in the Western media and sanctions
from Western 'partners' Russia authorities too announced plans to intensify
works in order to replace the software with domestic developments.

Mr. B1ack

Aug 26, 2014, 10:47:56 PM8/26/14
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:22:44 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:

><http://en.ria.ru/society/20140825/192333372/China-to-Replace-Google-Microsoft-With-Homegrown-OS.html>
>
>MOSCOW, August 25 (RIA Novosti) � China has announced it would present its
>own new operating system in October, 2014, Reuters reports.
>"After concerns about US surveillance and a monopoly probe of Microsoft,
>there is some good news for China's homegrown operating system (OS): a
>desktop version may be ready in October," wrote Xinhua on August, 24.

"Homegrown" ? It's a fairly straight rip-off of Win-XP with a few
extras 'borrowed' from Win-7/8 & OS-X.

>As tensions between the US and China grows overcyber security issues,
>Beijing is seeking a way to become independent of imported systems like
>Microsoft's Windows and Google's Android. The new operating system is
>expected to first appear on desktops and later to be adapted for smartphones,
>tablets and other mobile devices. ..
>
>Ni believes that a new homegrown operating system will replace the American
>software within one or two years. However, it will take about three or five
>years to supersede the imported mobile operating systems by OS developed by
>Chinese programmers.

There's no POINT in them doing any of this ... there are dozens
of flavors of ABSOLUTELY FREE Linux readily availible - and
they'll do anything Winders/ChinOS can do.

MY best guess is that this OS is full of Big Brotherware
that'll make it all the easier for the authorities to track down
dissidents. No sane Chinese citizen would use it.

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 27, 2014, 7:37:53 AM8/27/14
> That isn't The Guardian's only but common Western
> attitude. For example, modern Russia's film directors
> know well that it's possible for a Russia-made movie to
> obtain an award in a Western film festival only if the
> movie is sufficiently depressive.

Yet one depressive movie about Russian deeply depressive
misery life, among the woods and marshes, is expected
in upcoming Venice, - 'The Postman's White Nights' by Mr
Konchalovsky. Konchalovsky is known as a hardcore smart
ass and a russophobe for decades. There's no doubt that
Western public as well as cinematographic community will
like this movie and likely give it some award.

<http://twitchfilm.com/2014/08/check-out-the-gorgeous-promo-for-venice-selection-the-postmans-white-nights.html>

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 27, 2014, 12:45:51 PM8/27/14
An American tells to Russian audience about American issues.

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephen-ebert/3a/637/403>

Excerpt from the article (my draft translation).

<http://vz.ru/opinions/2014/8/26/702235.html>

Citizens of any country - even if they are not ultra-patriots - tend
to believe their country comes fairly, reasonably and consistently.
At the same time, given the quite normal differences in "views"
between countries it's impossible to assume that each country always
is right. Any sane person should agree that any dispute has two sides.

However, despite the "free media," a few Americans have seen how the
"peaceful" protesters in Maidan threw Molotov cocktails to the
defenseless "Berkut" men, or how the armed right-wing elements
wearing masks hastened the overthrow of Yanukovych by violence and
intimidation.

Today a few people can see how much criminal is the real war against
civilians in E. Ukraine, and a few know about continuous stream of
refugees to Russia (while the State Department says they just "go to
visit babushkas"). One needs to look again at Iraq story to see how
much irresponsible and criminal the Western media' behavior can be.

There are a number of important considerations. Firstly, the Achilles
heel of our society is traditional lack of interest among Americans
in international affairs and to other cultures and their histories.

A few are learning a foreign language, a few travel abroad. A survey
conducted at the beginning of the conflict in Ukraine showed that
only one out of six Americans knows where Ukraine resides. Thus, the
vast majority of people are simply unable to soberly assess incoming
information from all sides.

Second, the American schools have simply ceased to vaccinate their
students against aggressive "information warfare." In the old days,
in civics classes, we had special compulsory lessons about propaganda.
We were taught how to recognize it and how to resist it by carefully
studying the information presented and demanding concrete evidence,
recognizing and taking into account all sorts of reasons, "feeding
the facts."

Our higher education in the old days was focused more on critical
thinking rather than on "cramming" of special knowledge into students
minds, but today, on the contrary, the emphasis is rather on the
accumulation of knowledge in a specific area so that a graduate could
as quickly as possible to get a job.

People have less inclination and patience to explore the other side
of whatever issue. .. One should follow the headlines in the media
and statements of the Department of State just for a week, sharing
the completely unfounded reports with friends in social networks, to
feel how it all weighs on psyche ..

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 31, 2014, 7:16:37 AM8/31/14
<http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/08/29/hotels-which-countrys-are-cleanest/>

Hotels: Which Country’s Are Cleanest? ..
Japan’s capital scored 8.93 on a scale of one to 10, where 10 is best.
Warsaw placed second with 8.76, followed by Seoul’s 8.73. Slovakian
capital Bratislava and Bulgaria’s Sofia tied for fourth with both
scoring 8.54. ..
Rio de Janeiro ranked at the bottom of the list with a score of 7.29,
followed by London (7.52), Oslo (7.53) and Amsterdam (7.58). Despite
its rich tourism offerings, Paris also scored a lowly 7.63, placing it
sixth on the ranking of cities with unclean hotel rooms. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 31, 2014, 7:17:58 AM8/31/14
Russian government has announced plans to improve schooling
of foreign languages. They also have plans to make school
graduation exam in foreign language obligatory since 2020.
The number of 'kremlinbots' in Western internet communities
will be increased significantly ;)

Oleg Smirnov

Aug 31, 2014, 4:12:54 PM8/31/14
<http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/sen-feinstein-putins-ukraine-actions-wont-be-stopped-sanctions-n192686>

The U.S. needs to have "direct discussions" with Russian President
Vladimir Putin because sanctions will do little to thwart Russia's
military movements in Ukraine, Senate Intelligence Committee
Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein said Sunday. Russians will continue to
support Putin even if the economy slips because of sanctions that
have already been inflicted on Moscow and any further sanctions,
Feinstein told NBC's Andrea Mitchell in an exclusive interview that
aired on NBC’s "Meet the Press."

Putin is "enjoying intensely high favorability in his country,"
Feinstein said. "The Russians are very brave and very long-
suffering, and they will tough out any economic difficulty," she
said, adding that a better strategy would be "direct discussions
with Vladimir Putin." The Russian president came under criticism
Friday when he said the people of Ukraine and Russia were
"practically a single nationality." Russian troops are involved in
"direct military operations" inside Ukraine, according to NATO,
but Russia denies involvement.

That's true that the sanctions give a little effect. But the idea
of 'direct discussions' with Putin is rather illogical. The best
thing the American officials can do is, to send order to American
puppets in Kiev to stop their savagery in E. Ukraine and to start
civilized discussions with representatives of Novorossia.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 1, 2014, 7:42:33 PM9/1/14
The article partly quoted below is very long, pretty confusing, and
not well consistent, but the core idea that the mix of fear and hatred
towards Russia is a part of the very basic foundation of 'Western'
identity corresponds to my own thoughts. It goes far beyond the Cold
War. Actually, the West (the master minds) needs sort of psychological
rehabilitation to get rid of this ingrained phobia, but it's hard to
imagine who might be in the role of that good psychotherapist.

It's sad to realize that the WW3 is still quite likely.

<http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-eternal-collapse-russia-11126>

The Eternal Collapse of Russia ..

RUSSIA, IT IS often said, is a country that is barely able to stumble
out of bed and put on matching socks in the morning. In the lead-up
to the Winter Olympics in Sochi and continuing during the Games, the
U.S. media declared open season on the nation. Americans were told
that Russia is a country just about bereft of functioning elevators
or toilets. Or even a national food, “except perhaps bad sushi.” Its
people “hardly know who they are anymore” and its essence is defined
by copyright infringement and “all-encompassing corruption.” All in
all, Russia is “a country that’s falling apart,” as a New Republic
cover story in February put it.

It’s a hardy theme. It’s also a completely bogus one. But that hasn’t
stopped the media from reviving it again and again.
Thirteen years ago, for example, the Atlantic published a cover story,
“Russia Is Finished,” on “the unstoppable descent of a once great
power into social catastrophe” and ultimately “obscurity.” That was a
particularly bad year to predict Russia’s demise, as an economic
revival was starting to take hold. ..

The interesting question, then, is what lies behind this unbalanced
mind-set—what might be called the “Russia Is Doomed” syndrome. What
is the source of such stubbornly exaggerated thinking—and why is
Russia chronically misdiagnosed in this fashion?
IT FEELS right, as a first line of exploration, to call in Dr. Freud. ..

Granted, the British Empire was a promiscuous slanderer of its motley
rivals—consider the aspersions regularly cast toward the French.
Still, British feelings toward Russia were notably raw. The historian
J. H. Gleason, in his 1950 book The Genesis of Russophobia in Great
Britain, characterized the nineteenth-century English public’s
“antipathy toward Russia” as the “most pronounced and enduring element
in the national outlook on the world abroad.” ..

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 5, 2014, 7:10:35 AM9/5/14
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/eu-moves-to-temper-putin-two-weeks-to-kiev-row-1409831828>

"BRUSSELS — The European Union moved to dampen the
latest diplomatic row with Moscow, with a spokeswoman for
the bloc saying that Russian President Vladimir Putin's
reported comments about sending forces into Kiev were
"made public out of context. .."

The news about 'I could take Kiev in two weeks' has
made some stir and righteous indignation among a part of
the Western audience. But after Kremlin's threat to make
full script of the conversation available to public they
had to recognize the exaggeration. This means there was
something in the conversation the EU (as well as Kremlin)
does not want to be public.

Similar Western media idiocy is related to the well known
Putin's statement about breakup of the USSR being a great
catastrophe and tragedy. Those who interpreted that as a
desire to resurrect the USSR didn't understand the entire
context. But the phrase was / is widely replicated by
various 'analysts' in order to demonize Russia's foreign
policy objectives.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 5, 2014, 2:36:21 PM9/5/14
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/420af57a-34d8-11e4-ba5d-00144feabdc0.html>

Russians pull together in face of sanctions ..
“The country feels more united than it has done for many
years,” says Dmitriy Belobragin, a Moscow businessman, who
says he would give up half of his wealth before seeing
Crimea returned to Ukraine. “Russia is getting united and
very much solidified. Most Russians feel as I feel.”
Many of Russia’s billionaires appear to agree, stymieing
western hopes that sanctions might create fissures between
the Kremlin and the oligarchs.

Beli

Sep 5, 2014, 2:47:34 PM9/5/14
In article <lud01h$djb$1...@os.motzarella.org>, Oleg Smirnov
<ve...@gde.ru> wrote:

> <http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/420af57a-34d8-11e4-ba5d-00144feabdc0.html>
>
> Russians pull together in face of sanctions ..
> ÔøΩThe country feels more united than it has done for many
> years,ÔøΩ says Dmitriy Belobragin, a Moscow businessman, who
> says he would give up half of his wealth before seeing
> Crimea returned to Ukraine. ÔøΩRussia is getting united and
> very much solidified. Most Russians feel as I feel.ÔøΩ
> Many of RussiaÔøΩs billionaires appear to agree, stymieing
> western hopes that sanctions might create fissures between
> the Kremlin and the oligarchs.
>
> > the reguilar Western crusades against Russian
> > authoritarianism is the main cause that regulary
> > reconstitutes and supports the Russian authoritarianism.

And many westerners are fed up with the militarism of the US and NATO.
While Putin has managed to fix a cease fire the west is setting up
another Blitzmash.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 6, 2014, 12:26:57 AM9/6/14
Beli, <news:050920142047348649%baihe...@xs4all.nl>
> In article <lud01h$djb$1...@os.motzarella.org>, Oleg Smirnov

>>> the reguilar Western crusades against Russian
>>> authoritarianism is the main cause that regulary
>>> reconstitutes and supports the Russian authoritarianism.
>>
> And many westerners are fed up with the militarism of the
> US and NATO. While Putin has managed to fix a cease fire
> the west is setting up another Blitzmash.

The cease fire might be broken soon.

Eg., the tune from the Kiev media:

<http://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1382815-kombat-azovu-povidomiv-pro-skupchennya-vazhkoyi-tekhniki-protivnika-bilya-mariupolya>
Battalion "Azov" commander, Andrew Bielecki, expressed the hope
that during the truce it will be possible to exchange prisoners
and bury the dead. "I hope that there is no real agreement with
the terrorists, and it is just a tactical truce .."

Lazarus Cain

Sep 6, 2014, 7:31:21 AM9/6/14
On Monday, March 31, 2014 2:00:24 PM UTC-5, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> [...]
>
> and sending our troops overseas are criticized as somehow being unpatriotic.
>
> It happened before when so many of us were opposed to the Iraq war, the US
>
> attack on Libya, and elsewhere. And it is happening again to those of us not
>
> eager to get in another cold -- or hot -- war with Russia over a small
>
> peninsula that means absolutely nothing to the US or its security.
>

> I would argue that real patriotism is defending this country and making sure
>
> that our freedoms are not undermined here. Unfortunately, while so many are
>
> focused on freedoms in Crimea and Ukraine, the US Congress is set to pass an
>
> NSA "reform" bill that will force private companies to retain our personal
>
> data and make it even easier for the NSA to spy on the rest of us. We need to
>
> refocus our priorities toward promoting liberty in the United States!

GENIE sleeper is primed to respond against party that "breaks" ceasefire.
An intelligent judgment will be considered.
Probability that NATO side will break the cease fire is greater than even, but we shall see.
We focus attention on the port city that Kiev does not "wish" to lose. Probability that Kiev side if disadvantaged will have no alternative but to keep military occupation of port city, but how would port city locals feel about this? After all, it is really all about what the bombed out locals rights should be, isn't it?
What does the bombed out local male in his grief wish to do? Rebel, or be drafted by the very army which shelled his home?
NATO thinks that he should agree to be drafted and get paid the $4 an hour and be happy about it.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 6, 2014, 2:58:00 PM9/6/14
Lazarus Cain, <news:7dee6fb7-74f4-459f...@googlegroups.com>
> On Monday, March 31, 2014 2:00:24 PM UTC-5, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> <http://tinyurl.com/l9zjqm9> Ron Paul

>> The US has been "promoting democracy" in Ukraine for
>> more than ten years now, but it doesn't seem to have
>> done much good. Recently a democratically-elected
>> government was overthrown by violent protestors. That is
>> the opposite of democracy, where governments are changed
>> by free and fair elections. What is shocking is that the
>> US government and its NGOs were on the side of the
>> protestors! If we really cared about democracy we would
>> not have taken either side, as it is none of our business.
>>
>> Washington does not want to talk about its own actions
>> that led to the coup, instead focusing on attacking the
>> Russian reaction to US-instigated unrest next door to them.

> GENIE sleeper is primed to respond against party that
> "breaks" ceasefire.
> An intelligent judgment will be considered.
> Probability that NATO side will break the cease fire is
> greater than even, but we shall see.
> We focus attention on the port city that Kiev does not
> "wish" to lose. Probability that Kiev side if
> disadvantaged will have no alternative but to keep
> military occupation of port city, but how would port city
> locals feel about this? After all, it is really all about
> what the bombed out locals rights should be, isn't it?
> What does the bombed out local male in his grief wish to
> do? Rebel, or be drafted by the very army which shelled
> his home?
> NATO thinks that he should agree to be drafted and get
> paid the $4 an hour and be happy about it.

Thank you for interest to these my long threads.

The Donbas forces don't tend to shell the residential
areas because the support from the locals is the main
reason of their existence, and so one hardly can expect
they would shell homes of the locals in this port city
Mariupol the same way as the Kiev forces shell homes of
inhabitants of Donetsk and Lughansk. The Kiev forces do
it because they want to intimidate people via terror
since they know the people en masse dislike the new Kiev
regime. The Kiev media try their best to make up horror
fakes about 'terrorist atrocities', but civilians in the
conflict zone can see all by themselves.

Some people there dislike militants from both warring
parties, - because nobody likes a war. When the people
voted in April referendum for autonomy of Donbas, a few
expected that the regime in Kiev and its patrons are so
savagery that they could use heavy weapons to terrorize
and kill them. But after it has happened the sentiments
against Kiev has become just stronger.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 10, 2014, 3:00:20 AM9/10/14
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/09/us-usa-eu-trade-idUSKBN0H428Y20140909>

"(Reuters) - The United States should commit to exporting oil and natural
gas to Europe under a transatlantic trade deal in light of the European
Union's geopolitical situation, the EU trade commissioner said on Tuesday.

Tension between Russia and the West over the future of Ukraine is spurring
the European Union to renew efforts to end decades of dependence on Russian
gas. One solution would be greater access to abundant U.S. resources. ..

The United States worries more exports could push up the price of fuel at
home, potentially costing politicians votes and damaging competitiveness
for industries with heavy energy use. .. Washington is now facing growing
international pressure to ease the ban, as resource-hungry allies seek a
reliable energy trading partner."

So now it goes to the fact that if the US want to continue their banquette
in Europe then they should pay a bit for this pleasure, and the Americans
will pay a bit more for fuel at home.

Beli

Sep 10, 2014, 3:20:07 AM9/10/14
In article <luosva$n61$1...@os.motzarella.org>, Oleg Smirnov
<ve...@gde.ru> wrote:

> <http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/09/us-usa-eu-trade-idUSKBN0H428Y201409
I say, frack the US (and Ukraine). And export the gas to Europe, so we
don't have to frack our own countries. In return Obama gets another
free tour of the Rijksmuseum.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 11, 2014, 8:40:16 AM9/11/14
According to Levada-center ('the only independent Russia
poller', you know) 87% of the Russians are ready now to vote for
Mr Putin to become president for next term.

About 1% would vote for Mr Navalny.

This great result would be impossible without the Ukraine coup
and Western sanctions, so Putin and his team are likely grateful
to the West for its indispensable support ;-)

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 11, 2014, 10:28:35 AM9/11/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/09/-sp-russians-protesting-ukraine-conflict>

"A small number of Russians have braved public disapproval
and possible arrest to stand against Moscow’s actions in
Ukraine."

So why the London Pravda uses the headline "The Russians
protesting .."? There is a small group of 'special' persons
that arrange protesting actions against those or that Kremlin
policies on regular basis in order to make some illusion of
people's protesting activity for the Western media.

Time to time genuine, from the grassroots, protests happen
in Russia, usually they are caused by certain domestic issues,
but far from against 'Putin's tyranny', and these protests
usually meet no adequate coverage in the Western media since
they don't fit to the agenda promoted by the Western media.

As it was said on another occasion, that's a new breed of
activism calling itself journalism, - don’t report on a story,
but promote an agenda.

Mr. B1ack

Sep 11, 2014, 6:28:58 PM9/11/14
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:28:35 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:
"Reality" was always pretty tenuous ... but in the
todays 'news' environment we've gone entirely
over to "surreal" .... every truth is so "soft" it'll
soon form a puddle on the floor.

And yet people base important decisions on these
"truths" ... and imagine they're being smart and
responsible.

Yikes !

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 12, 2014, 3:23:03 PM9/12/14
2005-05 : <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4531273.stm>

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005 / Bush praises Georgian democracy /
Georgia is a "beacon of liberty for the region and the world",
US President George W Bush has told a cheering crowd ..

2013-06 : <http://tinyurl.com/lsllhth>

I and the ambassador are shocked by what we are informed
is in the video footage discovered by the MIA, U.S. Embassy
Tbilisi Deputy Chief of Mission Bridget Brink told
journalists. She said it is about a blatant violation of
human rights.

2014-08 : <http://tinyurl.com/p8pkb9o>

Several criminal charges have been filed against the former
president, some of which carry lengthy prison terms. The
Prosecutor’s Office has issued a warrant for Saakashvili’s
arrest within the territory of Georgia. The next step will
be asking Interpol ..

2014-09 : <http://tinyurl.com/qh38ch7>

The Chief Prosecutor’s Office has launched procedures of
putting Saakashvili on the internationally wanted list.
Saakashvili was sentenced in absentia to pre-trial detention
by Tbilisi City Court on August 2 after being charged in
relation to various criminal cases, including exceeding
official powers, the violent dispersal of an anti-government
mass protests on November 7, 2007, the unlawful raiding of
Imedi television company by riot police, the illegal takeover
of property owned by late media tycoon Badri (Arkadi)
Patarkatsishvili and the spending of public money. He is
already named on the national wanted list. ..

>>> http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_09_04/Akhmed-Zakaev-s-former-bodyguard-killed-in-Georgia/
>>> A man whose testimony was used as a basis for denying
>>> extradition of Chechen terrorist Zakaev (also known as
>>> Vanessa Redgrave's young lover) to Russia was killed by
>>> Georgian police as a reiver.

> <http://www.lemonde.fr/europe/article/2013/05/14/georgie-mysterieuse-operation-a-lopota_3205920_3214.html>

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 12, 2014, 3:57:21 PM9/12/14
<http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article19514832.ab>

The Swedish media write today, that Carl Bildt, foreign
minister of Sweden, known as one of the most ardent
hardliners against Russia, turned out to be involved into
ugly corruption business with Saakashvili that allowed
him to get rich at the expense of the Georgian budget.

It's funny to see what the promotion of democracy turns
to be in real practice, - no doubt something similar in
greater scale will be discovered about the Ukraine too.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 14, 2014, 7:08:51 AM9/14/14
<http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausland/europa/ukraine-konflikt-wirtschafts-ausschuss-warnt-vor-sanktionsspirale-13151584.html>

Cordes said the actions of the federal government had him "surprised".
The economic sanctions have brought no political progress until now.
You are in a globalized world no means to isolate a vast and resource
rich country such as Russia economically. "There are countries that do
not participate in sanctions. In the case of Russia are the Asians,
South Americans and sometimes even the Swiss. So we are increasingly
self-harm, without the hoped-for political action to achieve ..

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 17, 2014, 12:41:44 AM9/17/14
<http://www.wienerzeitung.at/meinungen/gastkommentare/660508_Ukraine-Konflikt-muss-ohne-Wirtschafts-Sanktionen-geloest-werden.html>
The Austrian economy inflicted massive damage by the EU sanctions
against Russia, it threatens a loss of thousands of jobs. Affected
by the business links with Russia are about 55,000 jobs and 1,250
businesses in the country.
The farmers were the first to have felt the effects of the economic
sanctions and counter-sanctions. The longer the conflict lasts, the
more the local economy be affected. .. The taxpayers are already
affected by the impact of the sanctions .. Because of the sanctions,
the authoritarian tendencies in Russia - which are rightly
criticized - accelerated instead of braked. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 17, 2014, 10:46:27 AM9/17/14
Excerpts from exclusive Peter Higgs interview to Russian outlet.

<http://www.gazeta.ru/science/2014/09/17_a_6217425.shtml>

In 1964, when I described boson, another five people did that in
addition to me. In the USSR, there were also those working on the
similar problem. I only found out about it in 1996 .. They
published their work in 1965, though they could become discoverers
of boson along with me and with five other scientists. ..

Today, the West dislikes Putin very much. But as for me, he is
making a serious attempt to restore the Russian economy from what
accompanied the fall of the Soviet Union. ..

- Do you follow the events in Ukraine?
- Oh, yes. Watch closely. And I am very unhappy with the way the
West is trying to resolve this situation. ..

The current British government is one of the most unpopular. But
our elected government in Scotland also must be ready to fulfill
the promises. People vote, and nothing will change. And what to
vote for? At the same time, each new British PM .. the first
thing what the PM is doing is meeting with the US president. This
supposedly confirms the special status of relations between the
two countries. In my opinion, this is a humiliation. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 18, 2014, 3:27:45 PM9/18/14
Mr. B1ack, <news:ja841ad2lk67uofo7...@4ax.com>
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:28:35 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru> wrote:

>> As it was said on another occasion, that's a new breed of
>> activism calling itself journalism, - don't report on a
>> story, but promote an agenda.

> "Reality" was always pretty tenuous ... but in the
> todays 'news' environment we've gone entirely
> over to "surreal" .... every truth is so "soft" it'll
> soon form a puddle on the floor.
>
> And yet people base important decisions on these
> "truths" ... and imagine they're being smart and
> responsible.

It seems not only you and me are concerned.

<http://www.gallup.com/poll/176042/trust-mass-media-returns-time-low.aspx>
"Trust in Mass Media Returns to All-Time Low .. After registering
slightly higher trust last year, Americans' confidence in the media's
ability to report "the news fully, accurately, and fairly" has
returned to its previous all-time low of 40%. Americans' trust in
mass media has generally been edging downward from higher levels in
the late 1990s and the early 2000s."

Differences for different groups are also telling.

> Yikes !

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 19, 2014, 7:08:17 AM9/19/14
German public blames ARD for disinformation in covering the
Ukraine events. The ARD is German broadcasting network, the
world's second largest public broadcaster after the BBC
<http://is.gd/JuguTG>. ARD Advisory Board has issued summary
report confirming the rightness of public criticism, but the
top management of the company seemed to refuse to accept the
criticism.

<http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/42/42784/1.html>

"Fragmentary", "biased", "poor" and "one-sided" .. "directed
against Russia and the Russian position" .. Important and
essential aspects of the conflict were "not covered or
covered insufficiently" ..
Before its June meeting, the members of the Advisory Board
analyzed "a whole series of articles" about the crisis in
Ukraine. The reason for this action, which the Advisory
Board called as "unusual", was widespread criticism from the
audience .. Viewers complained "one-sidedness at the expense
of Russia, lack of sophistication and incompleteness," the
report says. ..
Update: Meanwhile, ARD chief editor Thomas Baumann has
responded to the criticism and it is as follows .. An
allegation of one-sided and biased coverage of the Ukraine
conflict I reject vigorously. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 20, 2014, 12:53:39 AM9/20/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/19/vladimir-putin-plan-unplug-russia-internet-emergency-kremlin-moscow>

"The Kremlin is considering radical plans to unplug Russia from the
globalinternet in the event of a serious military confrontation or big
anti-government protests at home, Russian officials hinted on Friday."

The London Pravda is lying about Russia as usual. Officials explained
that there is no plans to unplug Russia from the internet. But because
'our Western partners now behave unpredictable' there are plans to make
Russian internet less dependent on global network services provided by
parties outside Russia in order to keep it functional in the case if
'our Western partners' try to use the global internet as another tool
to blackmail Russia.

".. unlike in China, the Russian internet has so far remained a
comparatively open place for discussion, albeit one contested by state-
sponsored bloggers and Putin fans."

Big number of 'Putin fans' in the Russian-speaking blogspace is not a
result of someone's ill will but reflection of real public sentiments.
Also one should take into account that 'Russian internet' in a large
part includes people that don't reside within Russia: the citizens of
the former Soviet republics, ex-Soviet Israelis, Russian expats living
in the US, Europe and Asia. All this is available to a Russian speaker
even if he or she doesn't know other languages.

Mr. B1ack

Sep 21, 2014, 2:42:11 AM9/21/14
Hey, Oleg ... consider some OTHER title for all
your posts beyond "fantastic negative result".

Just sayin' ....

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 21, 2014, 3:12:17 AM9/21/14
Mr. B1ack, <news:noss1a5jp66hlahm4...@4ax.com>

> Hey, Oleg ... consider some OTHER title for all
> your posts beyond "fantastic negative result".
>
> Just sayin' ....

What would you suggest instead?

Mr. B1ack

Sep 22, 2014, 8:48:24 AM9/22/14
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:12:17 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:
Um ... something about the SUBJECT of the
particular post perhaps ?

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 23, 2014, 3:08:43 AM9/23/14
Mr. B1ack, <news:ti602alqvpvbru30c...@4ax.com>
The whole thread is essentially about the same subject.

I use single thread / subject line to make it less annoying
for those readers who dislike my agenda, and better readable
for those who might be interested to read it.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 23, 2014, 9:16:34 AM9/23/14
<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/russia-west-united-states-past-future-conflict/380533/?single_page=true>

"We embark on this road to confrontation without sure, seasoned hands at
the wheel in the White House; in modern history, no U.S. administration has
proved more inept at dealing with Russia."

Mr Obama seems to be America's greatest shame in modern history.

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 24, 2014, 10:55:39 AM9/24/14
<http://tinyurl.com/lkqbz2o> (sexy girls)

Fashion designers in Russia make patriotic business on mockery of sanctions.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iamFiyMSY>

Oleg Smirnov

Sep 24, 2014, 5:47:32 PM9/24/14
Yet one dramatic writing about Russian naive intelligentsia
sentiments towards the Western world (it's not addressed to
Western public but presents an attempt of introspection).

<http://slavyangrad.org/2014/09/24/the-russia-they-lost/>

We loved America. I remember, we did. When we were teens ..
The first serious blow to our pro-Western orientation in
life was Kosovo. It was a shock; our rose-colored glasses
were shattered into pieces. The bombing of Belgrade was, for
my generation, what the 9/11 attacks were for Americans. ..
Second Iraq, Afghanistan, the final separation of Kosovo,
“Arab Spring”, Libya, Syria ..

The parade of “color revolutions” seemed to be petty mischief
until the last. But EvroMaidan and the subsequent fierce
civil war made it clear: “the democratic process” – devoid
of any rules and procedures and launched in enemy territory
– is not a geopolitical toy, but a real weapon of mass
destruction. It is the only type of weapon, which can be used
against a nuclear-armed state. Everything is very simple:
when you push the button and send a nuclear missile across
the ocean, you’ll certainly get an identical one in return.
But when you launch a chain reaction of chaos in enemy
territory, you are not to blame. Aggression? What aggression?!
This is a natural democratic process! The eternal desire of
people for freedom!

We see the blood and war crimes, the bodies of women and
children, an an entire country sliding back into the 1940s –
and the Western world, which we loved so much, assures us
that none of this is happening. The culture which brought
us Jim Morrison, Mark Knopfler, and the Beatles, does not see
it. The descendants of Woodstock, and the participants
themselves; the aged hippies who sang, “All you need is love”
so many times, do not see it. Even the thoughtful Germans of
the post-war generation of baby boomers, who tried so hard
to do penance for the sins of their fathers, do not see it.
It was a shock stronger than Kosovo. For me and for many
thousands of middle-aged Russians, who came into the world
with the American dream in our heads, the myth of the
“civilized world” collapsed completely. ..

> Russian intelligentsia reflects on events around Crimea.

> Fog lifted. .. If Russia did not have nuclear weapons, we would wait for the
> fate of Serbia, Iraq, Libya and so on. No doubt about it. .. But they will
> still seek to destroy us, or, at least, suppress and humiliate. If there was
> no Crimea then they would invent it. ..
> The point is not whether Putin is 'right' or 'wrong' in the situation with
> the reunification with Crimea. This is a useless question. More importantly:
> they - the West - always kept us as an enemy, even if latent, potential, but
> the enemy, and drove their complex hypocritical games.
> It is worse than a clear and open confrontation. Now the mask is dropped,
> it's much easier to draw conclusions and to take actions if the brain still
> exists. .. They have always wished us every kind of harm. ..

Mr. B1ack

Sep 24, 2014, 6:01:59 PM9/24/14
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:55:39 +0400, "Oleg Smirnov" <ve...@gde.ru>
wrote:

><http://tinyurl.com/lkqbz2o> (sexy girls)
>
>Fashion designers in Russia make patriotic business on mockery of sanctions.
>
><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iamFiyMSY>

The "sanctions" are just for show ... the 'leaders' of
the countries in on the Ukraine coup have to look as
if they're "doing something". Russia will get along just
fine ... and with the VAST mineral wealth they're finding
in Siberia, well, Russia doesn't NEED the west - the
west needs Russia.

Expect the "sanctions" to just quietly fade away. You'll
barely hear about it - if at all. More exciting topics will
use up all the column-inches and airtime ... the war
on ISIL, elections, Hillary Clinton, spring fashions .......

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 4, 2014, 1:47:10 PM10/4/14
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/joe-biden-isis_n_5924526.html>

"The battle to stop Islamic State militants' advance in Syria and Iraq is
going to be a "hell of a long fight" for the United States and its coalition
partners, Vice President Joe Biden said on Thursday. .. The United States
needed to wait for nations including Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Russia to be
willing to offer support, Biden said."

Well, I suspect [some in] the Saudi Arabia and Qatar might be rather
interested to offer support to IS if it was for fight against Iran or Syria.
Russia already has some experience of dealing with the radical islamists at
home, but Biden's appeal to Russia looks amusingly. Just recently another
American clownish politician speaking in the UN named Russia number 2 world
new danger, after Ebola and before the IS, and then another one says the US
expect support from the most evil number 2 against the most evil number 3.

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 5, 2014, 7:10:37 PM10/5/14
<http://news.yahoo.com/latvia-coalition-holds-power-pro-putin-force-tops-073931046.html>

Latvia coalition holds power in vote, pro-Putin force wanes
Riga (AFP) - Latvia's centre-right governing coalition scored a fresh victory
in weekend elections amid alarm over neighbouring Russia's resurgent power,
though a Kremlin-allied party backed by the ethnic Russian minority nabbed the
most seats in parliament.
The leftist Harmony party, allied with Russian President Vladimir Putin's
United Russia party, actually lost ground in the vote, winning only 24 of 100
seats, down from 31 in the outgoing assembly, full official results showed
Sunday.

But without obvious coalition partners, Harmony is set to stay in opposition,
while ethnic Latvian parties that campaigned on concerns of Russia's
expansionist actions will keep their spot at the helm of the Baltic state.

The claim about 'allied with Putin's United Russia party' is a lie (business
as usual). The Harmony is not at all anti-Western, it's just less nationalist
and that's the main reason why many ethnic Russians in Latvia prefer to vote
for it. Also they don't mention two notable facts. The first is, the number
of the ethnic Latvians that voted for Harmony this time is twice more than in
previous elections. The second is, Harmony's positions are the most strong
among those 'urbanities' the Western media mythology supposes to be the most
pro-democratic / pro-Western: the fact is, in capital Riga their result is 35%
against 23% in average.

Latvia example along with the Ukraine illustrates the ugly truth: the only way
to implement the evil Atlantic dream of 'isolation of Russia' is encouragement
of rural ethnic hatred in the Russia-neighboring countries.

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 9, 2014, 4:20:43 PM10/9/14
<http://russia-insider.com/en/about>

This site got started this past summer when a group of expats living in
Russia for many years began thinking about what we might do to address a
worsening and dangerous problem.

The problem is that the western media present an inaccurate, incomplete,
and unrealistically negative picture of Russia, and an incorrect narrative
of the past 20 years, since the fall of communism. .. We are private
publication, funded by its founders, independent of any governments or
institutions. ..

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 18, 2014, 1:35:37 PM10/18/14
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3af681ee-550f-11e4-b616-00144feab7de.html>

Hungary questions EU sanctions on Russia ..

<http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/141017/us-slaps-entry-ban-unnamed-corrupt-hungary-officials>

US slaps entry ban on unnamed 'corrupt' Hungary officials

There's rather strong anti-globalist sentiment in Hungary and balanced
approach towards Russia while the US foreign policy seems to be moving to
further insanity and loss of adequacy.

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 21, 2014, 7:18:54 PM10/21/14
<http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/afghanistan-opium-poppy-heroin-record-levels>

"We Spent $7.6 Billion to Crush the Afghan Opium Trade—and It's Doing Better
Than Ever .. Opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan is at record levels, ..
That's despite more than a decade of American efforts to knock out the Afghan
drug trade — at a cost of roughly $7.6 billion. .. Afghanistan produces more
than 80 percent of the world's illicit opium. .."

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 23, 2014, 5:14:34 PM10/23/14
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/23/george-soros-russia-threat-europe-vladimir-putin>

George Soros: Russia poses existential threat to Europe
Investor says Vladimir Putin’s aggressive nationalism
challenges values and principles on which the EU was founded ..
“Europe is facing a challenge from Russia to its very
existence. ..

I agree, Russia poses existential threat to the West.

Russia challenges quite a lot of hypocrisies on which Western
order was founded. The worst nightmare the shepherds /
manipulators of public opinion in the West can imagine is, if
the common, ordinary Westerners might find something positive
in Russia and better understand the nature of flaws they have
to deal with at home. That's the main reason why the master
minds in the West try their best to demonize / smear Russia.

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 25, 2014, 7:12:19 AM10/25/14
<http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23137>

Putin's speech against the Valdai International Discussion Club, 2014-10-24.

Worth to read.

Oleg Smirnov

Oct 26, 2014, 4:42:14 AM10/26/14
> <http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23137>
> Putin's speech against the Valdai International
> Discussion Club, 2014-10-24.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9pQcqPdKo> full video

<http://valdaiclub.com/>

"The Valdai Discussion Club was established in 2004. It was
named after Lake Valdai, which is located close to Veliky
Novgorod, where the club’s first meeting took place. The club’s
goal is to promote dialogue between Russian and international
intellectual elite, and to make an independent, unbiased
scientific analysis of political, economic and social events
in Russia and the rest of the world."

It is loading more messages.