Patrick Stewart knighted

The Highlander

Dec 31, 2009, 8:20:56 AM12/31/09
Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.

Josiah Jenkins

Dec 31, 2009, 9:48:37 AM12/31/09

Tut, tut, McP . . . OUB is a Yorkshireman.
He shouldn't be mentioned until later . . .

"Rugby legend Ian McGeechan, the British Lions and
former Scotland coach, was knighted in today�s New
Year�s honours list.

McGeechan coached Scotland to a Grand Slam in 1990**
and took part in seven Lions� tours in a career widely
seen as one of the most distinguished in rugby union history.

** 17th March 1990 . . . I was there !
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu

The Highlander

Dec 31, 2009, 10:28:37 AM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 6:48 am, Josiah Jenkins <josiah-

jenkins@somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 05:20:56 -0800 (PST), The Highlander

Actually I've been standing on my balcony with an ear cocked towards
Holland to see if I could hear the screams of joy from you know who...

conwaycaine

Dec 31, 2009, 10:40:29 AM12/31/09

"The Highlander" <mic...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is

> the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.+

And that statement will be hotly debated...................

Lesley Robertson

Dec 31, 2009, 10:50:09 AM12/31/09

>Actually I've been standing on my balcony with an ear cocked towards
>Holland to see if I could hear the screams of joy from you know
>who...

Too busy cooking - it's my turn to host the Waifs and Strays Hogmanay
dinner.
Thank heavens for slow cookers - the Stiphado's beginning to smell
lovely!
Lesley Robertson

Fred J. McCall

Dec 31, 2009, 11:16:27 AM12/31/09
The Highlander <mic...@shaw.ca> wrote:

:Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is

:the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.

This year, you mean.

--George Bernard Shaw

Josiah Jenkins

Dec 31, 2009, 11:41:34 AM12/31/09

I'm not certain that she's there !

She said something about flying somewhere and wasn't
looking forward to it as she normally took her car.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu

deem...@aol.com

Dec 31, 2009, 11:49:30 AM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 11:16 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Highlander <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> :Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> :the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.
>
> This year, you mean.

I sure hope so.

La N

Dec 31, 2009, 12:08:06 PM12/31/09

Indeed. I will say, though, he looked very nice in tights.

- nilita

The Highlander

Dec 31, 2009, 2:12:52 PM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 8:16 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Highlander <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> :Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> :the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.
>
> This year, you mean.
Actually you're correct - Sean Connery got one a few years ago.

Still, Sir Patrick sounds okay- at least you'd be welcomed at most
restaurants in London!
The English are such terrible snobs.

The Highlander

Dec 31, 2009, 2:19:03 PM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 9:08 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> conwaycaine wrote:
> > "The Highlander" <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> >> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> >> the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts
> >> world.+
>
> > And that statement will be hotly debated...................
>
> Indeed.  I will say, though, he looked very nice in tights.
>
> - nilita

(Woman are such male bum connoisseurs... - the scars I could show you
my dear...)

The Highlander

Dec 31, 2009, 2:19:56 PM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 7:50 am, "Lesley Robertson" <l.a.robert...@tnw.tudelft.nl>
wrote:
> "The Highlander" <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
I do hope we'll be getting the recipe!

Fred J. McCall

Dec 31, 2009, 4:00:48 PM12/31/09

:> conwaycaine wrote:
:> > "The Highlander" <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
:> >news:6436d2b6-8999-4d31...@j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
:>

:
:(Woman are such male bum connoisseurs...
:

And that's why so many women wind up married to male bums?

<ducking>

--
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is
simply to arrange the meeting."

The Phantom Piper

Dec 31, 2009, 9:56:39 PM12/31/09
On Dec 31, 11:12 am, The Highlander <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Actually you're correct - Sean Connery got one a few years ago.

As I recall, it had been withdrawn initially (two years prior)
on the grounds that he was 'Too Scottish' (he wanted to
read the Declaration Of Arbroath on the Parliament Floor,
if I remember correctly).

Good Knight,

The Phantom Piper

HardySpicer

Dec 31, 2009, 11:39:25 PM12/31/09
On Jan 1, 2:20 am, The Highlander <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.

That is wrong on so many levels. kirk was the only real Captain and
should have been knighted a long time back.

Lesley Robertson

Jan 1, 2010, 8:43:18 AM1/1/10
"The Highlander" <mic...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Take a piece of lamb (works best with individual portions). Wrap it in
a piece of tinfoil that's been coated in corn oil and sprinkled with
lemon juice, pepper, oregano and thyme. Cook as slowly as possible for
at least 5 hours, depending on how large the pieces of lamb are. 5
hours for chops, I had 2 half legs last evening and gave it 8 hours in
my slow cooker. Serve with potatoes boiled with rosemary and whatever
veg you fancy, use the juice instead of gravy.

It's a Cypriot dish. Tastes good, very simple and perfect if the rest
of the meal's going to need attention. I usually take it to the table
in the tinfoil, and let people upen their own servings. If you don't
have a slow cooker, make sure you use a dish with a heavy lid to
prevent the meat from drying out.
Lesley Robertson

Joe Makowiec

Jan 1, 2010, 8:59:47 AM1/1/10
On 01 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, Lesley Robertson wrote:

> Take a piece of lamb (works best with individual portions). Wrap it
> in a piece of tinfoil that's been coated in corn oil and sprinkled
> with lemon juice, pepper, oregano and thyme. Cook as slowly as
> possible for at least 5 hours, depending on how large the pieces of
> lamb are. 5 hours for chops, I had 2 half legs last evening and gave
> it 8 hours in my slow cooker. Serve with potatoes boiled with
> rosemary and whatever veg you fancy, use the juice instead of gravy.
>
> It's a Cypriot dish. Tastes good, very simple and perfect if the
> rest of the meal's going to need attention. I usually take it to the
> table in the tinfoil, and let people upen their own servings. If you
> don't have a slow cooker, make sure you use a dish with a heavy lid
> to prevent the meat from drying out.

Sounds wonderful. I've been hearing more lately about cooking -
particularly roasting - substantially longer times at lower
temperatures. I heard a story on the radio around US Thanksgiving
this year about doing turkey roulades with truffle stuffing, cooked at
160-200 degrees (F; 70-95C)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120631197

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

The Highlander

Jan 1, 2010, 11:10:52 AM1/1/10
On Jan 1, 5:43 am, "Lesley Robertson" <l.a.robert...@tnw.tudelft.nl>
Thank you - It sounds exquisite!

La N

Jan 1, 2010, 11:47:40 AM1/1/10

Once I get the visual of Mary's Little Lamb out of my head, it does indeed
sound wonderfully savoury.

- nilita

The Phantom Piper

Jan 1, 2010, 8:07:09 PM1/1/10
wrote:

> It's a Cypriot dish. Tastes good, very simple and perfect if the rest
> of the meal's going to need attention. I usually take it to the table
> in the tinfoil, and let people upen their own servings. If you don't
> have a slow cooker, make sure you use a dish with a heavy lid to
> prevent the meat from drying out.

Have you ever used a Tagine?

http://tinyurl.com/yzuabaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine

Mmmmmmm!,

The Phantom Piper

The Phantom Piper

Jan 1, 2010, 8:11:30 PM1/1/10
On Jan 1, 8:47 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Once I get the visual of Mary's Little Lamb out of my head

Mary's Little Lamb arrived in separate courses,
with the bulk of it tied up in a Rack Dijon and
served with some lovely roasted potatoes.

Folding A Napkin,

The Phantom Piper

La N

Jan 1, 2010, 8:58:57 PM1/1/10

I am sooooo .... glad that I was able to find the Far Side Cartoon of 1987
that made me and my friends LOL like crazy (lovely that these classics are
archived):

Before you link to the cartoon, here is the caption:

That evening, with her blinds pulled, Mary had three helpings of corn, two
baked potatoes, extra bread, and a little lamb.

http://phonographia.com/SourcePhonoToons/GL9-10-87%20500.jpg

The Far Side

Artist: Gary Larson, September 10, 1987

Deirdre Sholto Douglas

Jan 1, 2010, 9:52:45 PM1/1/10
Lesley Robertson wrote:

> Take a piece of lamb (works best with individual portions). Wrap it in a
> piece of tinfoil that's been coated in corn oil and sprinkled with lemon
> juice, pepper, oregano and thyme.

Do you sear the meat first?

Deirdre

________________
Error: File not found. Fake it (Y/N)?

Lesley Robertson

Jan 2, 2010, 10:59:40 AM1/2/10
"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" <finch.e...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:7q7qnu...@mid.individual.net...

> Lesley Robertson wrote:
>
>> Take a piece of lamb (works best with individual portions). Wrap it
>> in a piece of tinfoil that's been coated in corn oil and sprinkled
>> with lemon juice, pepper, oregano and thyme.
>
> Do you sear the meat first?

No. I would if I wasn't using the tinfoil, but it's mucg better
wrapped.
You use escaped juices as a gravy replacement.
Lesley Robertson

Allan

Jan 2, 2010, 2:23:37 PM1/2/10

"conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Certainly as far as the UK goes I imagine Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt of
Status Quo are as least as well known and in truth probably far better known
that Patrick Stewart. We watched Next Generation avidly but it wasn't the
same nationwide hit as the original Star Trek and the actors weren't as well
known here though of course Stewart was because he was bald and British. I
don't think he's particularly remembered by the bulk of the masses for much
else though. Whereas Quo had been regulars in the charts and TV screens for
quite a few decades since the 1960s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHH7gsKbE0

Allan

James Silverton

Jan 2, 2010, 2:47:15 PM1/2/10

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHH7gsKbE0

Does that show a major cross-pondian difference? I would have been
unable to place Rossi, Parfitt or Quo, tho' I watched most of the Star
Trek variants.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Allan

Jan 2, 2010, 3:17:13 PM1/2/10

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote in message

We watched all the Star Treks too. The later ones though didn't have huge
audiences like the original and to a lesser extent Next Generation did.
Don't get me wrong Stewart is famous here but yes, it is a cross-pondian
difference. Status Quo are one of most succesful groups ever in the UK. I've
got the Guiness Book of British Hit Singles and Albums dating to the end of
2004 and I can count 53 top 40 hits between 1968 and 2004 and 30 top 40
albums up to that point. In fact they have had more chart hits in the UK
singles chart than any other group including the likes of the Stones, U2
etc. In their real heyday (for about 5 years or so from the early 70s) they
were massive amongst the younger audience. After that they fell into a kind
of a trap where they got slagged for repeating the same old 3 chords
ad-nauseum and they lost a bit of their harder edge too and went quite
poppy - though they were still large enough in the mid-80s to open the Live
Aid concert.

Allan

Nebulous

Jan 2, 2010, 4:29:00 PM1/2/10
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 20:17:13 -0000, "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk>
wrote:

And - as I said at the time I went to see them on the 15th of
December!

I was part of that heyday group in the mid-seventies.

'Down, down, deeper and down'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKe2OfXLxuc

Neb

deem...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2010, 4:30:51 PM1/2/10
On Jan 2, 3:17 pm, "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Allan-

Geek Alert!

Did the original Trek do well in the UK? It's ratings in the
states were lukewarm at best. That's why it only lasted three years.
I'd bet the Next Generation did better ratings-wise for its time (when
the original was on, there were pretty much only three choices...with
a few local stations in the largest markets).

The next two (Deep Space Nine and Voyager) were syndicated...over
here, thatmeans picked up in each market whereever they could sign a
contract and didn't have great ratings, either. (i don't remember if
The Next Generation was syndicated...it might've been) The last
(Enterprise) was on a network that had few stations and really ticked
off the core audience. It's ratings were abysmal.

(I've put the names in because I've read series often have
different names on each side of the pond)

Allan

Jan 2, 2010, 6:30:06 PM1/2/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Jan 2, 3:17 pm, "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Geek Alert!

Did the original Trek do well in the UK? It's ratings in the
states were lukewarm at best. That's why it only lasted three years.
I'd bet the Next Generation did better ratings-wise for its time (when
the original was on, there were pretty much only three choices...with
a few local stations in the largest markets).

I'm not sure about the actual ratings when it was initially out. I was just
a kid. However for TV the original had a big impact over the years as it was
rerun. The names of the crew of the original series will still be far better
known here than any of the later series. We did watch some reruns just a few
years back and it certainly doesn't stand up to modern standards. Terrible
sets and iffy acting :-) We enjoyed both Voyager and Enterprise.

Allan

Lesley Robertson

Jan 3, 2010, 4:50:58 AM1/3/10
"Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote in message
Patrick Stewart isn't a 1-part wonder, though. In the US he might also
be known for X-Men, but I suspect that he'd see his work for the RSC
as just as important.
Lesley Robertson

The Phantom Piper

Jan 3, 2010, 6:37:19 AM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 1:50 am, "Lesley Robertson" <l.a.robert...@tnw.tudelft.nl>
wrote:

> I suspect that he'd see his work for the RSC as just as important.

I heard his Prospero was excellent, and his MacBeth as well.

Did you know that Captain Picard played Claudius
against Dr. Who's (David Tennant) Hamlet?

"A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm."

(Yet more proof that Cats are at the pinnacle of the food chain.)

Out, Damned Spot,

The Phantom Piper

conwaycaine

Jan 3, 2010, 10:26:39 AM1/3/10

"Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote in message
> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> "The Highlander" <mic...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

>>> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is

>>> the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.+
>>
>> And that statement will be hotly debated...................
>

> Certainly as far as the UK goes I imagine Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt
> of
> Status Quo are as least as well known and in truth probably far better
> known
> that Patrick Stewart. We watched Next Generation avidly but it wasn't the
> same nationwide hit as the original Star Trek and the actors weren't as
> well
> known here though of course Stewart was because he was bald and British. I
> don't think he's particularly remembered by the bulk of the masses for
> much
> else though. Whereas Quo had been regulars in the charts and TV screens
> for
> quite a few decades since the 1960s.

When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever
seen.
But I pressed on.
And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
ever was.
The entire cast was first rate.

Custos Custodum

Jan 3, 2010, 10:56:43 AM1/3/10

> When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd
> ever seen.
> But I pressed on.
> And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat
> guy ever was.

Give Shatner his due, though. His OTT performances were definitely tongue
in cheek.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6pYG1DQ4s>

Message has been deleted

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 2:06:17 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 10:57 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever

> :seen.
> :But I pressed on.
> :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
> :ever was.
> :The entire cast was first rate.
> :
>
> Wesley Crusher must die!

Can we put Ryker and Troi in the exploding shuttle with him?

Allan

Jan 3, 2010, 2:19:44 PM1/3/10

"Lesley Robertson" <l.a.ro...@tnw.tudelft.nl> wrote in message

> "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Patrick Stewart isn't a 1-part wonder, though. In the US he might also be
> known for X-Men, but I suspect that he'd see his work for the RSC as just
> as important.

Yeagh you are quire right about X-Men too. I'd forgotten about that. RSC
doesn't really count though. I was talking about being well known by the
bulk of the population. As I said I'm not saying he isn't famous.

Allan

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 2:20:17 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 10:26 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> And that statement will be hotly debated...................
>
> > Certainly as far as the UK goes I imagine Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt
> > of
> > Status Quo are as least as well known and in truth probably far better
> > known
> > that Patrick Stewart.  We watched Next Generation avidly but it wasn't the
> > same nationwide hit as the original Star Trek and the actors weren't as
> > well
> > known here though of course Stewart was because he was bald and British. I
> > don't think he's particularly remembered by the bulk of the masses for
> > much
> > else though. Whereas Quo had been regulars in the charts and TV screens
> > for
> > quite a few decades since the 1960s.
>
> When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever
> seen.

It took a couple of seasons to settle in, but he got better.

> But I pressed on.
> And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
> ever was.

Uh, Picard.....not Kirk.

> The entire cast was first rate.

Wow, we have different tastes.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 2:22:55 PM1/3/10
On Jan 2, 6:30 pm, "Allan" <al...@noemail.co.uk> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Different tastes. Voyager, to me, was weak because they could
never decide if Janeway should be a b*tch or a pushover. If you're
going to use a woman captain, make her a captain. I thought Enterprise
was the weakest even though I liked the cast.

Lesley Robertson

Jan 3, 2010, 3:10:15 PM1/3/10

wrote:

> I suspect that he'd see his work for the RSC as just as important.

I heard his Prospero was excellent, and his MacBeth as well.

Did you know that Captain Picard played Claudius
against Dr. Who's (David Tennant) Hamlet?

************

Yup. It was on TV over Christmas. Excellent stuff.
Lesley Robertson

Cory Bhreckan

Jan 3, 2010, 3:34:09 PM1/3/10

Unless they spend too much time hanging around Chinese restaurants.

The Other White Meat

--
"For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed." - William Topaz McGonagall

La N

Jan 3, 2010, 3:38:06 PM1/3/10
Cory Bhreckan wrote:
> The Phantom Piper wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 1:50 am, "Lesley Robertson" <l.a.robert...@tnw.tudelft.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> I suspect that he'd see his work for the RSC as just as important.
>>
>> I heard his Prospero was excellent, and his MacBeth as well.
>>
>> Did you know that Captain Picard played Claudius
>> against Dr. Who's (David Tennant) Hamlet?
>>
>> "A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
>> king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm."
>>
>> (Yet more proof that Cats are at the pinnacle of the food chain.)
>
> Unless they spend too much time hanging around Chinese restaurants.
>
> The Other White Meat

<BARF>

- nil, cancelling next week's dinner date at the Double Happiness ....

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Cory Bhreckan

Jan 3, 2010, 5:02:04 PM1/3/10

Wotsamadda? Don't like 'chicken'?

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 5:10:54 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 4:13 pm, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
> :
>
> Ryker, sure.  I want to keep Troi, though (but we won't let her talk).
>
> How's that for compromise?  ;-)

Works for me.

Troi was the second most annoying character...after
Wesley..."I...feel....." Blech....but she did have her, uh, good
points.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 5:12:12 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 4:23 pm, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "deemsb...@aol.com" <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :
> :      Different tastes. Voyager, to me, was weak because they could

> :never decide if Janeway should be a b*tch or a pushover. If you're
> :going to use a woman captain, make her a captain.
> :
>
> I thought Voyager was offal.  It's the only Star Trek series that I
> essentially watched none of.  Someone at work once made a comment that
> I'd like 7 of 9 and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.
>
> :
> :I thought Enterprise

> :was the weakest even though I liked the cast.
> :
>
> Yes, I thought the portrayal of the female Vulcan had some good
> points...
>
> Hey, I'll tell you what, Deems.  You can get rid of Troi if you bring
> over a few Dabo Girls from DS9.

Aw, just bring along Dax.

conwaycaine

Jan 3, 2010, 7:26:35 PM1/3/10

"Custos Custodum" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote in
>

>> When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd
>> ever seen.
>> But I pressed on.
>> And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat
>> guy ever was.
>
> Give Shatner his due, though. His OTT performances were definitely tongue
> in cheek.

Yeah, he did seem to it play for the laughs.
The attire of his girls was first rate.

conwaycaine

Jan 3, 2010, 7:27:04 PM1/3/10

"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever

> :seen.
> :But I pressed on.
> :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
> :ever was.
> :The entire cast was first rate.
> :
>
> Wesley Crusher must die!

I still have visions of the Greek doctor.

conwaycaine

Jan 3, 2010, 7:27:49 PM1/3/10

"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever

> :seen.
> :But I pressed on.
> :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
> :ever was.
> :The entire cast was first rate.
> :
>
> Wesley Crusher must die!

Well, she wasn't really a doctor.
More like the ship's counselor.

conwaycaine

Jan 3, 2010, 7:28:47 PM1/3/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

Uh, Picard.....not Kirk.

***
Work with me here.

> The entire cast was first rate.

Wow, we have different tastes.

****
This from a Ramp eater???

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 7:45:28 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 7:28 pm, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> This from a Ramp eater???-

I have eaten ramps....I don't eat ramps.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2010, 7:45:54 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 7:27 pm, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Fred J. McCall" <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:nif1k5dmht83l3jpp...@4ax.com...

> > "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > :
> > :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd ever
> > :seen.
> > :But I pressed on.
> > :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat guy
> > :ever was.
> > :The entire cast was first rate.
> > :
>
> > Wesley Crusher must die!
>
> Well, she wasn't really a doctor.
> More like the ship's counselor.

She was fine until she opened her mouth.

Joe Makowiec

Jan 3, 2010, 8:27:13 PM1/3/10
On 03 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, deem...@aol.com wrote:

> Aw, just bring along Dax.

You have to distinguish amongst the Daxen, though - you probably mean
Jadzia? Certainly better than Gidget...

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

The Phantom Piper

Jan 3, 2010, 9:35:51 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 12:38 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> - nil, cancelling next week's dinner date at the Double Happiness ....

In San Francisco we have the 'Five Happiness'!

(It just goes to show you how much Happiness
gets lost over so great a distance...)

Having 60% More Happiness,

The Phantom Piper

La N

Jan 3, 2010, 9:38:21 PM1/3/10

Ohhh ... mannn ... now I feel really ripped off .... I just might grab those
huge fish that are trapped in a tank at the entranceway ....

And feed them to the caged cats outside the back exit.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

deem...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2010, 6:00:29 AM1/4/10
On Jan 3, 8:27 pm, Joe Makowiec <makow...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 03 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, deemsb...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Aw, just bring along Dax.
>
> You have to distinguish amongst the Daxen, though - you probably mean
> Jadzia?  Certainly better than Gidget...

True and yes.

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 9:23:11 AM1/4/10

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> :
>
> Greek? The last name of the actress playing the only doctor worth
> noticing was McFadden...

Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!
And well worth the watching.

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 9:23:47 AM1/4/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

*******

Egad but you have high standards.

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 9:24:09 AM1/4/10

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> :
>
> And that brings you back to Troi, Troi, Troi, Troi....

And her skin tight jump suits.................

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 9:24:49 AM1/4/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

************

Humph

deem...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2010, 10:19:07 AM1/4/10
On Jan 4, 9:23 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Egad but you have high standards.-

The only thing more annoying than a whiny hot chick is a whiny not-
so-hot chick. (oink)

Josiah Jenkins

Jan 4, 2010, 10:51:43 AM1/4/10
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:23:11 -0500, "conwaycaine"

<conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> :
>> :"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> :news:nif1k5dmht83l3jpp...@4ax.com...
>> :> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> :>
>> :> :
>> :> :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd
>> ever
>> :> :seen.
>> :> :But I pressed on.
>> :> :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat
>> guy
>> :> :ever was.
>> :> :The entire cast was first rate.
>> :> :
>> :>
>> :> Wesley Crusher must die!
>> :
>> :I still have visions of the Greek doctor.
>> :
>>
>> Greek? The last name of the actress playing the only doctor worth
>> noticing was McFadden...
>
>Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!

Errrr No !
Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y') aka Marina Sirtis is *nglish born !

She was born in East End of London, raised in North London, emigrated
to the U.S. in the late 1980s and became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu

La N

Jan 4, 2010, 11:09:00 AM1/4/10

Does anyone remember the late Persis Khambatta who played Lt. Ilia in one of
the ST movies?

- nilita

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 1:11:35 PM1/4/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

********

Well, if you are contrasting her to those exceedingly lovely Knoxville girls
I met in my youth, I'd have to agree.

"I met a little girl in Knoxville"
"Way down in Knoxville town"

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 1:12:37 PM1/4/10

> "conwaycaine" <conwa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> :> And that brings you back to Troi, Troi, Troi, Troi....

> :
> :And her skin tight jump suits.................

> :
>
> The actress once made the comment that they were so tight that you
> could tell when she'd had a particularly heavy lunch before shooting.
>
> Someone was looking at her STOMACH?

Hells bells, Fred. I'd watch even her thumbs, given the opportunity.

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 1:14:16 PM1/4/10

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.invalid> wrote in message

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:23:11 -0500, "conwaycaine"
>>"Fred J. McCall" <fjmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!

> Errrr No !
> Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y') aka Marina Sirtis is *nglish born !
>
> She was born in East End of London, raised in North London, emigrated
> to the U.S. in the late 1980s and became a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Okay, Mister Picker of Nits.
She was of Greek ancestry (I hope)

conwaycaine

Jan 4, 2010, 1:15:57 PM1/4/10

> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
> :On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:23:11 -0500, "conwaycaine"
> :>
> :>Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!

> :
> :Errrr No !
> :Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y') aka Marina Sirtis is *nglish born !
> :
> :She was born in East End of London, raised in North London, emigrated
> :to the U.S. in the late 1980s and became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
> :
>
> But her parents are Greek. One of you is talking ethnicity and the
> other is talking citizenship to 'correct' him.

A common misunderstanding between the residents of the Blessed Isle and
those of us living over here on Hell's front porch.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2010, 2:26:42 PM1/4/10
On Jan 4, 1:11 pm, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

No, I've got no problem with Marina Sirtis. The CHARACTER sucked.
She came across as a whiny thing....too freaking sensitive, etc (i
know, that was the whole point of the empath character).

Josiah Jenkins

Jan 4, 2010, 2:26:54 PM1/4/10

At least you got the relevent locations correct !
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu

deem...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2010, 2:34:47 PM1/4/10
On Jan 4, 11:09 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Josiah Jenkins wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:23:11 -0500, "conwaycaine"
> > <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> "Fred J. McCall" <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> > Errrr No !
> > Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y') aka Marina Sirtis is *nglish born !
>
> > She was born in East End of London, raised in North London, emigrated
> > to the U.S. in the late 1980s and became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
>
> Does anyone remember the late Persis Khambatta who played Lt. Ilia in one of
> the ST movies?
>
> - nilita-

Not bad for a bald chick.....but the movie really sucked.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2010, 2:35:51 PM1/4/10
On Jan 4, 11:52 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Fred J. McCall" <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> :news:vep2k5tj5uk0ekm7j...@4ax.com...:> "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> :>
> :> :
> :> :"Fred J. McCall" <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> :> :news:nif1k5dmht83l3jpp...@4ax.com...

> :> :> "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> :> :>
> :> :> :
> :> :> :When Sir Patrick took over, I thought him the most wooded actor I'd
> :> ever
> :> :> :seen.
> :> :> :But I pressed on.
> :> :> :And in time, I found him to be a far better Captain Kirk than the fat
> :> guy
> :> :> :ever was.
> :> :> :The entire cast was first rate.
> :> :> :
> :> :>
> :> :> Wesley Crusher must die!
> :> :
> :> :I still have visions of the Greek doctor.
> :> :
> :>
> :> Greek?  The last name of the actress playing the only doctor worth
> :> noticing was McFadden...
> :
> :Troi was GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!
> :And well worth the watching.
> :
>
> Troi wasn't the doctor.  She was the 'counselor (although what a ship
> needs a 'counselor for, we are left wondering).

To show how advanced we'd become. None of that warlike-kickass of
Kirk and company.

Lesley Robertson

Jan 4, 2010, 2:51:14 PM1/4/10
> "deem...@aol.com" <deem...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> :
> : Different tastes. Voyager, to me, was weak because they could
> :never decide if Janeway should be a b*tch or a pushover. If you're
> :going to use a woman captain, make her a captain.
> :
>
> I thought Voyager was offal. It's the only Star Trek series that I
> essentially watched none of. Someone at work once made a comment
> that
> I'd like 7 of 9 and I didn't have a clue what they were talking
> about.

If you didn't watch it, how do you know enough to decide it was bad?
Like Enterprise, the first series wasn't wonderful, but it improved.
The episodes around 7 of 9 where Janeway was trying to teach her about
being a free individual, and then had to admit that there were
limitations on that freedom because Janeway would not let her return
to the Borg were excellent.
Lesley Robertson

Joe Makowiec

Jan 4, 2010, 3:39:50 PM1/4/10
On 04 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, Josiah Jenkins wrote:

> Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y')

The official answer:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/character/1112460.html

And some others:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Deanna_Troi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Troi
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001461/

Josiah Jenkins

Jan 4, 2010, 5:59:35 PM1/4/10
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:39:50 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
<mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 04 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y')

Looks like I owe Mr Caine an apology.

Although, in my defence, I never was a fan and
it is spelt with the 'Y' in several places.

http://www.ian-stewart.eu

Message has been deleted

conwaycaine

Jan 5, 2010, 9:22:37 AM1/5/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

******

Perhaps if you had muted the volume while she was speaking, or used
captions, you would have enjoyed watching her as much as I did.

conwaycaine

Jan 5, 2010, 9:24:20 AM1/5/10

"Josiah Jenkins" <josiah-jenkins@somewhere_else.invalid> wrote in message

Of course.
After all,how many years have I been exposed to Yurpthink?

conwaycaine

Jan 5, 2010, 9:27:05 AM1/5/10

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:39:50 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
> <mako...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 04 Jan 2010 in soc.culture.scottish, Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>>
>>> Counselor Deanna Troy (with a 'Y')
>
> Looks like I owe Mr Caine an apology.
>
> Although, in my defence, I never was a fan and
> it is spelt with the 'Y' in several places.

Think nothing of it, doc.
I've made far too many blunders around here to chortle with glee over
another's mispost.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2010, 9:58:05 AM1/5/10

Knot me!!!!!!!!!

conwaycaine

Jan 6, 2010, 9:34:29 AM1/6/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

Knot me!!!!!!!!!

******

Speaking of knots, are you faring well during this Little Ice Age we are
having?

deem...@aol.com

Jan 6, 2010, 9:40:19 AM1/6/10
On Jan 6, 9:34 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> having?-

Just fine. We haven't gotten much snow, so the roads have stayed
clear. I am hoping a bit of that global warming will kick in soon.

conwaycaine

Jan 6, 2010, 2:02:04 PM1/6/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

*********

Apparently the vaunted Hot Breath from Oz has been overrated as a
contributing factor to Global Warming.

deem...@aol.com

Jan 6, 2010, 6:30:23 PM1/6/10
On Jan 6, 2:02 pm, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

I think it's just Gawd protecting his chosen people from the heat
wave.

conwaycaine

Jan 7, 2010, 9:46:27 AM1/7/10

<deem...@aol.com> wrote in message

********

I noticed in the paper that parts of South Britain have accumulated up to
eighteen inches of Global Warming during this latest heat wave.
Record cold temperatures as well.
Just an anomaly though.
We have the word of a group of unbiased Climatologists from six different
(but unnamed) Universities on that.

Scotty

Jan 7, 2010, 2:00:18 PM1/7/10

As AWS would say, "drip, drip, drip" except it's not the earth melting:
it's the snow melting on the roof...

Global Mean Anomaly for December = 0.28C. Down AGAIN.

conwaycaine

Jan 7, 2010, 9:33:24 PM1/7/10

"Scotty" <nob...@home.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:46:27 -0500, "conwaycaine"
>>
>>I noticed in the paper that parts of South Britain have accumulated up to
>>eighteen inches of Global Warming during this latest heat wave.
>>Record cold temperatures as well.
>>Just an anomaly though.
>>We have the word of a group of unbiased Climatologists from six different
>>(but unnamed) Universities on that.
>
> As AWS would say, "drip, drip, drip" except it's not the earth melting:
> it's the snow melting on the roof...

I think "drip, drip, drip" is Adam's favorite debating technique.
He being much into Chinese water torture.
(Where is the old boy anyway?

js20...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2013, 11:33:05 PM9/8/13
On Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:20:56 AM UTC-5, The Highlander wrote:
> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.

I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney is pretty famous too.. And he was knighted
before Sir Patrick.

Jeffrey Hamilton

Sep 9, 2013, 10:00:18 PM9/9/13
Gosh, there's nothing quite like renewing a post that is 3 1/2years old now
is there ?

cheers....Jeff

Joe Makowiec

Sep 10, 2013, 6:34:14 AM9/10/13
But it's about Captain Sir Old Uncle Baldy! (Where's Lesley when you
need her?)

<mutter>Google Groups...</mutter>

Lesley Robertson

Sep 17, 2013, 6:33:10 AM9/17/13
"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message

On 09 Sep 2013 in soc.culture.scottish, Jeffrey Hamilton wrote:

> js20...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:20:56 AM UTC-5, The Highlander
>> wrote:
>>> Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek,
>>> is the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts
>>> world.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney is pretty famous too.. And he was
>> knighted before Sir Patrick.
>
> Gosh, there's nothing quite like renewing a post that is 3 1/2years
> old now is there ?

But it's about Captain Sir Old Uncle Baldy! (Where's Lesley when you
need her?)

<mutter>Google Groups...</mutter>

--
I'm here, and sniggering. The original writer of this ancient post had
obviously not heard of people like Lord Olivier and all the other

Joe Makowiec

Sep 17, 2013, 10:58:30 AM9/17/13
On 17 Sep 2013 in soc.culture.scottish, Lesley Robertson wrote:

> I'm here, and sniggering. The original writer of this ancient post had
> obviously not heard of people like Lord Olivier and all the other
> luvvies who get their gongs for doing the jobs they're paid for. I do
> think that these things should only go for matters above and beyond
> the call of duty...
> (Except of course the delightful Sir Patrick...)

Not that I have a dog in this particular hunt, but I think that it's fine
that these people from the arts world get recognition like this. Here in
the USofA, there are a couple of comparable honors/honors - the Kennedy
Center Honors come to mind.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm

Bryn Fraser

Oct 3, 2013, 5:43:45 AM10/3/13
On Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:12:52 PM UTC, The Highlander wrote:
> On Dec 31, 8:16 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Highlander <mich...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> > :Patrick Stewart, the British actor who made his name in Star Trek, is
> > :the most famous person to be awarded a knighthood from the arts world.
> >
> > This year, you mean.
> Actually you're correct - Sean Connery got one a few years ago.
>
> Still, Sir Patrick sounds okay- at least you'd be welcomed at most
> restaurants in London!
> The English are such terrible snobs.

Still trying to pick fights you old spook...

Bryn

missing you..