Why have Israeli leaders changed their names?

richard01

Aug 14, 2003, 9:50:43 AM8/14/03
Why should so very many well-known Israeli politicians have preferred
to use another name than that with which they were born?

Ehud Brog - Ehud Barak, prime minister of Israel (1999–2001).
The son of East European immigrants in Palestine, was born in 1942
later adopting the Hebrew name Barak [lightning].

Menachem Freymann - Menachem Begin, born in Poland, 1913; served with
the Polish Communist Unit of the Red Army 1939: 1942 joined the
British Army; 1944 deserted the British Army and joined the terrorist
organization called Irgun Zvai Leumi and becomes the leader; 1946
assassinates several British soldiers in their sleep in Tel Aviv. In
July of the same year he dynamited the King David Hotel killing 97
nurses, soldiers and Arab civilian employees

David Green - David Ben-Gurion, was born in the town of Plonsk in
Poland in 1886, the sixth offspring in a family steeped in Zionism.
His father, a Hebrew teacher, was a veteran member of one of the
forerunners of modern Zionism. Ben-Gurion Hebraized his surname (to
David, Son of a Lion)

Yitzhak Shimshelevitz - Itzhak Ben-Zvi, (2nd President of Israel) was
born in the town of Poltava in the Ukraine in 1884

Moshe Dayan - born on May 20th, 1915, on a kibbutz called deganya
Alef, near Lake Kinerret. His parents were Shemuel and Devorah Dayan,
and he seems never to have changed his name

Levi Shkolnik - Levi Eshkol (3rd Prime Minister of Israel) born in
1895 in the Ukrainian village of Oratovo (in the Kiev district)

Theodore Herzl - was born in Budapest, Hungary, in 1860. He was raised
in an assimilated Jewish family that celebrated Christmas. Later he
moved to Vienna, Austria, where he studied for the bar. However,
instead of practicing law, he chose the dual career of journalist and
playwright. His Judaism was not much of a factor in his life. Herzl,
whose Jewish connections were weak and tenuous, nonetheless saw in the
Dreyfus affair a harsh reminder of the poisonous persistence of
anti-Semitism. He didn't seem to need to change his name, though.

Chaim Herzog, (6th President) was born in Ireland in 1918. His father
was the distinguished Rabbi Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog. - immigrated to
Palestine in 1935, and served in the Haganah during the Arab revolt of
1936-38. He acquired a degree in law and served in the British army in
World War II, becoming head of intelligence in northern Germany and
participating in the liberation of the concentration camps. He didn't
change his name either

Ephraim Katchalski - Ephraim Katzir, (4th President of Israel) was
born in Kiev in 1916 - immigrated to British-ruled Palestine when he
was six years old, and he grew up in Jerusalem.

Golda Mabovitch - Golda Meir, the fourth prime minister of Israel and
labor. Zionist leader and diplomat, was born in Kiev, Ukraine in 1898.
When she was eight years old, her family immigrated to the United
States of America. She grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Yitzhak Navon, (5th President) was born on April 9, 1921, in
Jerusalem. On his father's side, he is a descendant of the Jews who
were expelled from Spain and who came to Jerusalem from Turkey in
1670. On his mother's side, Navon is descended from the Ben-Atar
family of Morocco, who came to Jerusalem in 1884.

John Jay Sullivan and John Jay Sullivan Jr, Benjamin Netanyahu,
Benjamin Nitai - Binyamin Nitanyahu, (Israeli Prime Minister) - four
requests for credit approval appear in US social security file number
020-36-4537. Under each request one finds a different name: -- one
man, four names (but maybe this is just due to 'Bibi's' well known
need to appear more important than he is.

Shimon Persky - Shimon Peres, , born in Wolozyn, Poland in 1923, was
brought to Palestine in 1934. After the War of Independence in
1948-49, Peres joined the Ministry of Defense staff, where he served
as Director General from 1953-1959 and Deputy Defense Minister under
Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion from 1959-65.

Yitzhak Rubitzov - Yitzhak Rabin was born in Jerusalem on March 1st,
1922, son to Nehemiah and Rosa Rubitzov. Yitzhak's mother Rosa was
raised by a wealthy Russian family of ten children, on the other hand,
his father was brought up by a poor family in the Ukraine

Yizhak Yzernitzky - Yitzhak Shamir, - underground leader, spymaster,
parliamentarian and the seventh Prime Minister of the State of Israel
- was born in Ruzinoy, Poland in 1915. He attended Bialystok Hebrew
secondary school and at age 14 joined the Betar youth movement. In
1935 he left Warsaw, where he was studying law, moved to Palestine and
enrolled at the Hebrew University.

Moshe Shertok - Moshe Sharett (born 1894 was the second Prime
Minister of Israel (1954-1955) , serving in between David Ben-Gurion's
two terms. Born in the Ukraine, Moshe Sharett emigrated to Palestine
in 1908. His family was one of the founders of Tel Aviv.

Ariel Sheinerman - Ariel Sharon, - born on 9/27/1928 in Kfar Malal,
north of Tel Aviv, to Russian immigrant parents who had just landed in
Palestine in 1921. His daddy's name was Samuel Sheinerman and his Moma
was Vera. SHARON is from the Hebrew meaning FLAT AREA or PLAIN. SHARON
was a flat area near the Mediterranean Sea renowned for the fertility
of its fields and pastures (Isaiah 5:16, 27:29).

Shneor Zalman Rubashov - Zalman Shazar, (3rd President of Israel) born
in White Russia in 1889 son of a Habad Hassidic family. From his
initials - SZR - Shazar later derived his Hebrew name.

Ezer Weizman, was born in Tel Aviv in 1924 and grew up in the town of
Haifa. He is the second president in his family. The first president
of Israel, Chaim Weizman, is his Uncle

Chaim Weizmann , was born in the village of Motol (near Pinsk), in a
Russian settlement in 1874. He was one of the 15 children of a timber
merchant. When Chaim grew up he attended high school (or cheder) in
Pinsk.

So, why did many of these Israeli politicians change their names?
Well, of course, they were founding a new state, with a revived
ancient language, Hebrew, and most of them were born around the time
when many immigrants in America were having their names changed for
them, willy nilly, by immigration officials. But perhaps they had
other precedents, such as the major one, during the times they grew
up, the Bolsheviks:

Lev Rosenfeld - Lev Kamenev the early Bolshevik leader later went on
to become a leading member of the Politburo

Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov - Lenin was born in Simbirsk, a provincial
town on the Volga River.

Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili - Joseph Stalin was born in 1879.He
changed his name to Stalin, which meant 'man of steel' He came from
Georgia and he tried to be a priest but he could not do it and he
joined to the Bolshevik party.

Moses Mordecai Marx Levy - Karl Marx was born in 1818 of wealthy
parents (his father was a lawyer), and much of his personal life has
never been revealed

Lev Davidovich Bronstein - Leon Trotsky, early Bolshevik leader who
later went on to become a leading member of the Politburo, was born
with the surname Apfelbaum. Many other famous Communists of the time,
such as Karl Radek, Lazar Kaganovich; and Moses Urtisky, (the head of
the Cheka) all changed their names for reasons similar to that of
Trotsky.

Grigori Apfelbaum - Grigori Zinoviev head of the Petrograd Soviet

Many of the more notorious politicians around the world have changed
their names, as, of course, have film actors.

Mohammed Yasser Abdul-Ra'ouf Qudwa Al-Husseini -Yasser Arafat was born
August 24, 1929, in the Gaza Strip. Arafat attended King Fuad
University in Egypt where he received a Bachelor Degree in
Architecture Engineering in 1951.

George W Bush, - President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New
Haven, Connecticut, and he grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas. He
received a bachelor's degree from Yale University in 1968, then served
as an F-102 fighter pilot in the Texas Air National Guard. He is known
as Dubya to many, and 43 to his Secret service guards.

Doris Mary Ann Kappelhof - Doris Day was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
(her grandparents were German immigrants). Most records give her
birthday as April 3rd 1924, but in fact she is believed to have been
born on April 3rd 1922.

Archie Leach - Cary Grant was a poor boy who could barely spell posh.
That's acting for you-or maybe Hollywood.

Adolph Schicklgruber - Adolph Hitler was born on April 20, 1889, in
the small
Austrian village of Braunau Am Inn just across the border from German
Bavaria, the illegitimate son of Maria Anna Schicklgruber and her
unknown mate, which may have been someone from the neighborhood or a
poor millworker named Johann Georg Hiedler. It is also remotely
possible Adolf Hitler's grandfather was Jewish

Leslie Townes Hope - Bob Hope was born, the son of stonemason William
Henry Hope and Avis Townes Hope. The family emigrated from England to
Cleveland, Ohio in 1908, when Leslie, the fifth of seven children, was
not yet five years old.

Roy Scherer - Rock Hudson , actor was born 17 November 1925 and
adapted the last name Fitzgerald when his mother remarried in the
mid-'30s.

Saddam Hussein al Majd al Tikriti - Saddam was born in Tikrit, Iraq,
on 28 April 1937 He was sent to live with his maternal uncle soon
after he was born. During his early years, reports have linked Saddam
to the murders of a school teacher and/or a cousin.

John Major Ball - John Major 1943-, British 'statesman', b. Raised in
a working-class area of London, he was elected to Lambeth borough
council (1968) and entered Parliament as a Conservative in 1979.

Saloth Sar - Pol Pot Born May 19, 1925 in Kompong Thom Province,
Cambodia

Margaret Hilda Roberts - Margaret Thatcher was born on October 13,
1925, in Grantham, Lincolnshire, England. A clever child whose father
was an ardent worker in local politics. (Sorry, this is cheating. Most
English women take their husbands' names).

Nguyen Sinh Cung - Ho Chi Minh - The youngest of three children was
born in 1890 in a village in central Vietnam.

Julius Marx - Groucho Marx, Comedian, writer (USA 1890-1977).

Marion Michael Morrison - John Wayne Born May 26, 1907. Winterset,
Iowa. John Wayne moved with his family to California when he was
young.

What's in a Name? – some think it is very important

How important is your name? Ask yourself: "If I did not have a name,
how could I identify myself? If I had no name, who would I be?" Your
name is extremely important. Your name is your life! It is how you
identify yourself. It is how others identify you. The more insight you
have into the powerful influence of your name, the greater opportunity
to enjoy the success you are capable of achieving.

Name Analysis The Society of Kabalarians (a registered non-profit
society) draws on over 70 years of research and experience in
providing name analyses, which offer invaluable benefit to people in
understanding their strengths and weaknesses both mentally and
physically. The Mathematical Principle can be used to make
recommendations for a change of name to a balanced name, which offsets
the weaknesses of the old name, and tunes the mind to the true inner
potential determined from one's date of birth. With a balanced name
and understanding of the inner potential, everyone can make positive,
constructive changes to achieve better health, success, harmonious
personal relations, and a state of overall well-being” --
http://www.kabalarians.com/gkh/your.htm

Note: the final two paragaphs illustrate the kind of nonsense you come
across about names - I am not promoting the kabalarians, the
kabbalists, or anyone else.

Yissaskhar Ben-Tzion

Aug 14, 2003, 4:01:29 PM8/14/03
richard...@yahoo.com (richard01) wrote in message news:<6e30eb22.0308...@posting.google.com>...

> Why should so very many well-known Israeli politicians have preferred
> to use another name than that with which they were born?

The idea was originally for Zionists to Hebraise themselves and thus
wipe off their Diaspora identities -- much in the same way Malcolm
Little became Malcolm X to shed his "slave name" and later became
Malik Zulu Shabazz after embracing Islam. The process was sped along
in 1948 when Ben-Gurion demanded all government and military personnel
have Hebrew names (with some exceptions) and encouraged immigrants to
shed their Diaspora names -- although some indeed reverted after
Ben-Gurion began to lose influence.

> Ehud Brog - Ehud Barak, prime minister of Israel (1999&#8211;2001).
> The son of East European immigrants in Palestine, was born in 1942
> later adopting the Hebrew name Barak [lightning].

I am pretty sure that Ehud was born with the name Barak. That seems
to me to be the reason why he was named Ehud -- who pops up in the
same part of the Book of Judges as Barak.

> Menachem Freymann - Menachem Begin

Source? I have never heard of Menachem Begin being called Freymann.
In Sharon's and Begin's memoirs, his father (who died in Poland) was
called Begin. I have seen his Diaspora name as being spelled Biegun
or Beigin.

> born in Poland, 1913; served with
> the Polish Communist Unit of the Red Army 1939: 1942 joined the
> British Army; 1944 deserted the British Army and joined the terrorist
> organization called Irgun Zvai Leumi and becomes the leader; 1946
> assassinates several British soldiers in their sleep in Tel Aviv. In
> July of the same year he dynamited the King David Hotel killing 97
> nurses, soldiers and Arab civilian employees

...and Jewish civilian employees as well.

> David Green - David Ben-Gurion, was born in the town of Plonsk in
> Poland in 1886, the sixth offspring in a family steeped in Zionism.
> His father, a Hebrew teacher, was a veteran member of one of the
> forerunners of modern Zionism. Ben-Gurion Hebraized his surname (to
> David, Son of a Lion)

Son of a Lion-Cub, actually. This was an illusion to Nakdimon
Ben-Gurion, an Israelite nobleman from the Talmud -- thought by some
to be the Nicomedus of the New Testament. Interestingly, this name
began as a nom de plume but stuck. You should also note that
Ben-Gurion also shed his middle name (Yosef/Yussef) because middle
names are and were viewed as a manifestation of "galut" (Diaspora).

> Yitzhak Shimshelevitz - Itzhak Ben-Zvi, (2nd President of Israel) was
> born in the town of Poltava in the Ukraine in 1884
>
> Moshe Dayan - born on May 20th, 1915, on a kibbutz called deganya
> Alef, near Lake Kinerret. His parents were Shemuel and Devorah Dayan,
> and he seems never to have changed his name
>
> Levi Shkolnik - Levi Eshkol (3rd Prime Minister of Israel) born in
> 1895 in the Ukrainian village of Oratovo (in the Kiev district)
>
> Theodore Herzl - was born in Budapest, Hungary, in 1860. He was raised
> in an assimilated Jewish family that celebrated Christmas.

I am not sure if his family celebrated Christmas or not, but Herzl was
raised in a Reform Jewish home -- not a fully assimilated one.

> Later he moved to Vienna, Austria, where he studied for the bar. However,
> instead of practicing law, he chose the dual career of journalist and
> playwright. His Judaism was not much of a factor in his life. Herzl,
> whose Jewish connections were weak and tenuous, nonetheless saw in the
> Dreyfus affair a harsh reminder of the poisonous persistence of
> anti-Semitism. He didn't seem to need to change his name, though.

> Chaim Herzog, (6th President) was born in Ireland in 1918. His father
> was the distinguished Rabbi Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog. - immigrated to
> Palestine in 1935, and served in the Haganah during the Arab revolt of
> 1936-38. He acquired a degree in law and served in the British army in
> World War II, becoming head of intelligence in northern Germany and
> participating in the liberation of the concentration camps. He didn't
> change his name either
>
> Ephraim Katchalski - Ephraim Katzir, (4th President of Israel) was
> born in Kiev in 1916 - immigrated to British-ruled Palestine when he
> was six years old, and he grew up in Jerusalem.
>
> Golda Mabovitch - Golda Meir, the fourth prime minister of Israel and
> labor. Zionist leader and diplomat, was born in Kiev, Ukraine in 1898.
> When she was eight years old, her family immigrated to the United
> States of America. She grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

You forgot the fact that Meir is a change from Meyerson (her husband's
surname) and not from Maibovitch.

> Yitzhak Navon, (5th President) was born on April 9, 1921, in
> Jerusalem. On his father's side, he is a descendant of the Jews who
> were expelled from Spain and who came to Jerusalem from Turkey in
> 1670. On his mother's side, Navon is descended from the Ben-Atar
> family of Morocco, who came to Jerusalem in 1884.
>
> John Jay Sullivan and John Jay Sullivan Jr, Benjamin Netanyahu,
> Benjamin Nitai - Binyamin Nitanyahu, (Israeli Prime Minister) - four
> requests for credit approval appear in US social security file number
> 020-36-4537. Under each request one finds a different name: -- one
> man, four names (but maybe this is just due to 'Bibi's' well known
> need to appear more important than he is.

Binyamin Netanyahu was born with the name he is known by -- but his
father Ben-Tziyyon was born as Ben-Tziyyon Milekowsky.

> Shimon Persky - Shimon Peres, , born in Wolozyn, Poland in 1923, was
> brought to Palestine in 1934. After the War of Independence in
> 1948-49, Peres joined the Ministry of Defense staff, where he served
> as Director General from 1953-1959 and Deputy Defense Minister under
> Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion from 1959-65.
>
> Yitzhak Rubitzov - Yitzhak Rabin was born in Jerusalem on March 1st,
> 1922, son to Nehemiah and Rosa Rubitzov. Yitzhak's mother Rosa was
> raised by a wealthy Russian family of ten children, on the other hand,
> his father was brought up by a poor family in the Ukraine
>
> Yizhak Yzernitzky - Yitzhak Shamir, - underground leader, spymaster,
> parliamentarian and the seventh Prime Minister of the State of Israel
> - was born in Ruzinoy, Poland in 1915. He attended Bialystok Hebrew
> secondary school and at age 14 joined the Betar youth movement. In
> 1935 he left Warsaw, where he was studying law, moved to Palestine and
> enrolled at the Hebrew University.

This is also a case where he didn't plan to change his name. Shamir,
I believe, was a name stuck on him by the British. Interestingly, a
young Shamir used to use the nom de guerre Michael in honour of
Michael Collins.

> Moshe Shertok - Moshe Sharett (born 1894 was the second Prime
> Minister of Israel (1954-1955) , serving in between David Ben-Gurion's
> two terms. Born in the Ukraine, Moshe Sharett emigrated to Palestine
> in 1908. His family was one of the founders of Tel Aviv.
>
> Ariel Sheinerman - Ariel Sharon, - born on 9/27/1928 in Kfar Malal,
> north of Tel Aviv, to Russian immigrant parents who had just landed in
> Palestine in 1921. His daddy's name was Samuel Sheinerman and his Moma
> was Vera. SHARON is from the Hebrew meaning FLAT AREA or PLAIN. SHARON
> was a flat area near the Mediterranean Sea renowned for the fertility
> of its fields and pastures (Isaiah 5:16, 27:29).

Sharon was also where he was born...

> Shneor Zalman Rubashov - Zalman Shazar, (3rd President of Israel) born
> in White Russia in 1889 son of a Habad Hassidic family. From his
> initials - SZR - Shazar later derived his Hebrew name.
>
> Ezer Weizman, was born in Tel Aviv in 1924 and grew up in the town of
> Haifa. He is the second president in his family. The first president
> of Israel, Chaim Weizman, is his Uncle
>
> Chaim Weizmann , was born in the village of Motol (near Pinsk), in a
> Russian settlement in 1874. He was one of the 15 children of a timber
> merchant. When Chaim grew up he attended high school (or cheder) in
> Pinsk.
>
> So, why did many of these Israeli politicians change their names?
> Well, of course, they were founding a new state, with a revived
> ancient language, Hebrew, and most of them were born around the time
> when many immigrants in America were having their names changed for
> them, willy nilly, by immigration officials. But perhaps they had
> other precedents, such as the major one, during the times they grew
> up, the Bolsheviks:

Most of the Bolsheviks changed their names AFTER Zionists began to do
so.

> Lev Rosenfeld - Lev Kamenev the early Bolshevik leader later went on
> to become a leading member of the Politburo
>
> Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov - Lenin was born in Simbirsk, a provincial
> town on the Volga River.
>
> Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili - Joseph Stalin was born in 1879.He
> changed his name to Stalin, which meant 'man of steel' He came from
> Georgia and he tried to be a priest but he could not do it and he
> joined to the Bolshevik party.
>
> Moses Mordecai Marx Levy - Karl Marx was born in 1818 of wealthy
> parents (his father was a lawyer), and much of his personal life has
> never been revealed
>
> Lev Davidovich Bronstein - Leon Trotsky, early Bolshevik leader who
> later went on to become a leading member of the Politburo, was born
> with the surname Apfelbaum. Many other famous Communists of the time,
> such as Karl Radek, Lazar Kaganovich; and Moses Urtisky, (the head of
> the Cheka) all changed their names for reasons similar to that of
> Trotsky.
>
> Grigori Apfelbaum - Grigori Zinoviev head of the Petrograd Soviet
>
> Many of the more notorious politicians around the world have changed
> their names, as, of course, have film actors.
>
> Mohammed Yasser Abdul-Ra'ouf Qudwa Al-Husseini -Yasser Arafat was born
> August 24, 1929, in the Gaza Strip.

He was born as Muhammad Abd al-Rauf Arafat in CAIRO. Yasir was a
later nickname of disputed origin and Qudwa and Husseini are clans,
not his surname.

> Arafat attended King Fuad University in Egypt where he received a Bachelor > Degree in Architecture Engineering in 1951.
>
> George W Bush, - President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New
> Haven, Connecticut, and he grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas. He
> received a bachelor's degree from Yale University in 1968, then served
> as an F-102 fighter pilot in the Texas Air National Guard. He is known
> as Dubya to many, and 43 to his Secret service guards.

Where is the name change?
Why not mention the US presidents who actually had name changes???

Bill Clinton was born as William Jefferson Blythe IV
Gerald Ford was born as Leslie Lynch King Jr.

> Doris Mary Ann Kappelhof - Doris Day was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
> (her grandparents were German immigrants). Most records give her
> birthday as April 3rd 1924, but in fact she is believed to have been
> born on April 3rd 1922.

> Archie Leach - Cary Grant was a poor boy who could barely spell posh.

> Adolph Schicklgruber - Adolph Hitler

Adolf Hitler was NEVER called Shicklgruber. His father, Alois
Schicklgruber had his name changed to Hitler BEFORE Hitler was born.

> was born on April 20, 1889, in the small
> Austrian village of Braunau Am Inn just across the border from German
> Bavaria, the illegitimate son of Maria Anna Schicklgruber and her
> unknown mate

I don't believe Adolf was illegitimate, his father was Alois Hitler --
who was illegitimate

> which may have been someone from the neighborhood or a poor millworker named > Johann Georg Hiedler. It is also remotely possible Adolf Hitler's grandfather > was Jewish

Highly improbable, actually.

> Leslie Townes Hope - Bob Hope was born, the son of stonemason William
> Henry Hope and Avis Townes Hope. The family emigrated from England to
> Cleveland, Ohio in 1908, when Leslie, the fifth of seven children, was
> not yet five years old.
>
> Roy Scherer - Rock Hudson , actor was born 17 November 1925 and
> adapted the last name Fitzgerald when his mother remarried in the
> mid-'30s.
>
> Saddam Hussein al Majd al Tikriti

Where is the name change? That is still his name.

> Saddam was born in Tikrit, Iraq, on 28 April 1937 He was sent to live with > his maternal uncle

His maternal uncle being Khayrullah Tulfah, the leader of a pro-Axis
coup in Iraq.

> soon after he was born. During his early years, reports have linked Saddam
> to the murders of a school teacher and/or a cousin.
>
> John Major Ball - John Major 1943-, British 'statesman', b. Raised in
> a working-class area of London, he was elected to Lambeth borough
> council (1968) and entered Parliament as a Conservative in 1979.
>
> Saloth Sar - Pol Pot Born May 19, 1925 in Kompong Thom Province,
> Cambodia
>
> Margaret Hilda Roberts - Margaret Thatcher was born on October 13,
> 1925, in Grantham, Lincolnshire, England. A clever child whose father
> was an ardent worker in local politics. (Sorry, this is cheating. Most
> English women take their husbands' names).
>
> Nguyen Sinh Cung - Ho Chi Minh - The youngest of three children was
> born in 1890 in a village in central Vietnam.
>
> Julius Marx - Groucho Marx, Comedian, writer (USA 1890-1977).
>
> Marion Michael Morrison - John Wayne Born May 26, 1907. Winterset,
> Iowa. John Wayne moved with his family to California when he was
> young.
>
> What's in a Name? &#8211; some think it is very important

Well it's not. There are many John Smiths and they are very
different.

-Yissaskhar

richard01

Aug 15, 2003, 1:27:22 PM8/15/03
tziy...@email.com (Yissaskhar Ben-Tzion) wrote in message news:<9e0bc9b6.03081...@posting.google.com>...

> richard...@yahoo.com (richard01) wrote in message news:<6e30eb22.0308...@posting.google.com>...
> > Why should so very many well-known Israeli politicians have preferred
> > to use another name than that with which they were born?

Thanks for your obviously very knowledgable input

My research was distinctly subjective; I just looked up "**** ****
born" on Google until I came across a reference which gave the
original name - all the dressing around the references came straight
from the sources, so I can't vouch for any accuracy. The one for
Freymann/Begin came from a distinctly 'anti' source, as I remember.

I am fairly certain the Bolsheviks changed their names before the
majority of the Israeli politicians I mentioned were even born, and
this seemed to me quite reasonable precedent. (Especially when you
consider the views of Henry Ford on the Bolshevik/Zionist connection -
he's always quoted as a classic 'Anti-Semite' but that doesn't
necessarily mean he was wrong).

Might it not be that the early Zionists (who were mostly pretty
socialist) consciously followed the precedent of the socialists from
next door ?

John Smith might be very common, but his name is not as old as Haddad,
the Arabic equivalent, an Old Testament bogeyman from the North East
at least as feared as Saddam Hussein, and a lot more long-lasting.

Yissaskhar Ben-Tzion

Aug 15, 2003, 5:47:51 PM8/15/03
richard...@yahoo.com (richard01) wrote in message news:<6e30eb22.03081...@posting.google.com>...

> tziy...@email.com (Yissaskhar Ben-Tzion) wrote in message news:<9e0bc9b6.03081...@posting.google.com>...
> > richard...@yahoo.com (richard01) wrote in message news:<6e30eb22.0308...@posting.google.com>...
> > > Why should so very many well-known Israeli politicians have preferred
> > > to use another name than that with which they were born?
> >
> Thanks for your obviously very knowledgable input
>
> My research was distinctly subjective; I just looked up "**** ****
> born" on Google until I came across a reference which gave the
> original name - all the dressing around the references came straight
> from the sources, so I can't vouch for any accuracy. The one for
> Freymann/Begin came from a distinctly 'anti' source, as I remember.
>
> I am fairly certain the Bolsheviks changed their names before the
> majority of the Israeli politicians I mentioned were even born

I am fairly certain the Bolsheviks changed their names AFTER the first
Zionist politicians began to do so.

> and this seemed to me quite reasonable precedent. (Especially when you
> consider the views of Henry Ford on the Bolshevik/Zionist connection -
> he's always quoted as a classic 'Anti-Semite' but that doesn't
> necessarily mean he was wrong).

Except that he WAS wrong.

> Might it not be that the early Zionists (who were mostly pretty
> socialist) consciously followed the precedent of the socialists from
> next door ?

Simply false, they were following the precedents of other nationalist
movements.

> John Smith might be very common, but his name is not as old as Haddad,
> the Arabic equivalent, an Old Testament bogeyman from the North East

Different roots and spelling are involved in Arabic Haddad (spelled
with guteral ha) vs. Biblical Hadad (spelled with Hebrew letter heh
and not het).

-Yissaskhar