Do Hispanics have self-hate?

DA

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.
It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out
the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why? Hispanic
woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.
Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's
looks. Or does she have DYED hair too? It's pathetic to me to see such a
waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community. Will the people of
India and Pakistan be next? I know Asians won't buy into this self-hate
concept.

walter lee

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

DA wrote:

> Do Hispanics want to be WHITE?

some hispanics are white(hispanic relates to a language and a culture and is
not race specific
the US census has a sub classification of non-white hispanics that
separates them from the entire hispanic community)

do you mean to ask,
" Do non-white hispanics want to be white?."

In Mississippi Masala - an south-asian-indian-hindu/african american
romance (AF/BM pairing, dezel washington is the leading love interest) movie
-
they do talk about the social context of being light skinned and dark
skinned
within the south asian indian hindu community. The female protagonist
complaints about /observes a perceived beauty/preference for being
light skinned among asian indians.

La Tammy

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
DA <dyna...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<3624B1B3...@hotmail.com>...

> Do Hispanics want to be WHITE?
Nope

> Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

Nope

> It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out
> the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why?

Cause that's how the majority of us are. Neither "black" nor "white", we're
a perfect blend.

> Hispanic
> woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.

Show me one.

> Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's
> looks.

Grandma happens to be one of the most beautiful "piel canela" women I've
seen.

> Or does she have DYED hair too?

Nope, never did.

> It's pathetic to me to see such a
> waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community.

You're too influenced by the media. Come down to the Latin American
Countries and see for yourself.

> Will the people of
> India and Pakistan be next?

Doubt it. Who wants to look white????? Pale???? C'mon, get real!!!!

> I know Asians won't buy into this self-hate
> concept.

Hey, they can't get any more "pale"!

I think the one suffering from "race-envy" are the gringos. They envy our
looks, our great sense of humor, our cheerful life styles, our "latin
flavor", everything!
Gringos insipidos.

That's all folks,

La Tammy

RUBY DEE FONTANEZ

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
Hello DA. I am from Puerto Rico. I personally know a couple of
puertorrican women who dye their hair lighter, but for another reason than
wanting to hide their ancestors. The reason is that when a woman with dark
dark brown or jet black hair starts aging and the fine lines around the eyes
start showing, then presto, a change or lightening of the hair color gives
the impression of being younger. Dark hair tends to mark the face lines a
whole lot more than lighter hair. Sorry for changing your subject into a
beauty tip, but this seems to be very relevant to your post. Trying to stay
young and beautiful is a huge topic nowadays, and people of all ethnic
backgrounds are into it, not only Hispanics.

(o;

DA wrote in message <3624B1B3...@hotmail.com>...
>Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

>It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out

>the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why? Hispanic

>woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.

>Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's

>looks. Or does she have DYED hair too? It's pathetic to me to see such a
>waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community. Will the people of
>India and Pakistan be next? I know Asians won't buy into this self-hate
>concept.

Tony

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
what is a gringo?

La Tammy wrote:

> DA <dyna...@hotmail.com> wrote in article

> <3624B1B3...@hotmail.com>...
> > Do Hispanics want to be WHITE?

> Nope

> > Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

> Nope

> > It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out
> > the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why?

> Cause that's how the majority of us are. Neither "black" nor "white", we're
> a perfect blend.
>

> > Hispanic
> > woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.

> Show me one.

> > Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's
> > looks.

> Grandma happens to be one of the most beautiful "piel canela" women I've
> seen.
>

> > Or does she have DYED hair too?

> Nope, never did.

> > It's pathetic to me to see such a
> > waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community.

> You're too influenced by the media. Come down to the Latin American
> Countries and see for yourself.
>

> > Will the people of
> > India and Pakistan be next?

> Doubt it. Who wants to look white????? Pale???? C'mon, get real!!!!
>

> > I know Asians won't buy into this self-hate
> > concept.

Jabriol

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

> Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

> It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out
> the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why? Hispanic

> woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.
> Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's
> looks. Or does she have DYED hair too? It's pathetic to me to see such a
> waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community. Will the people of
> India and Pakistan be next? I know Asians won't buy into this self-hate
> concept.

what gave you the Idea?

*** Windago ***

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
What does this crap have to do with religion?
--
Carol ..
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot."
: > Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

: > It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK.
=======================
: what gave you the Idea?
:

S Singh Sandhu

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Actually a light brownish skin color is the way to go.. pale guys don't look
to good.. and most "white" ppl are pink or light brown..
DA wrote in message <3624B1B3...@hotmail.com>...

>Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

Walter T. Kawamoto

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
This is a pretty cynical view of Latinos. As if there is only one way that
they look. Actually the "natural" look for Latinos is every possible hue, from
very Spanish (Brazil and other communities) white to very African (many of the
islands) black. The idea that being more white, Latinos are being less
themselves is showing a lack of understanding of history.

The fact that most of those on TV are more white is a whole different story.
It seems many producers do not celebrate the darker hued parts of the Latino
community. This is unfortunate.

Walter K.

--
Walter T. Kawamoto

Assistant Professor, Family and Consumer Sciences Dept.
CSU Sacramento 6000 J St. Sacramento, CA 95819-6053
Off: 916-278-6\5339 Fax: 916-278-7520
kawa...@saclink.csus.edu http://webpages.csus.edu/~kawamotw

Tony

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Why is dark skin bad? I don't understand! Are we brainwashed?

Juan Rodríguez-Vélez

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
The question should be....why is white skin bad????? I do
understand......many of you are very confused about our histories and are
full of hate for white people ......Cada loco con su trauma......

Tony

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
i think not buddy. But dark skin is cool too! i love all skin.

Cesar Gimenez

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Au contraire, if one were to generalize I would say we tend to be Narcissists...

Cesar Gimenez

walter lee wrote:

> DA wrote:
>
> > Do Hispanics want to be WHITE?
>

> some hispanics are white(hispanic relates to a language and a culture and is
> not race specific
> the US census has a sub classification of non-white hispanics that
> separates them from the entire hispanic community)
>
> do you mean to ask,
> " Do non-white hispanics want to be white?."
>

> > Blond hair, light hair, and the like.
>
> > It's a SLAP in the face of your ancestors, which were DARK. Check out
> > the cable station Univsion, ALL light skinned Hispanics. Why? Hispanic
> > woman go broke trying to be white to impress their brain-washed men.
> > Don't Hispanics like themselves. Do they detest their grandmother's
> > looks. Or does she have DYED hair too? It's pathetic to me to see such a
> > waste of NATURAL beauty in the Hispanic community.
>
> > Will the people of India and Pakistan be next? I know Asians won't buy
> > into this self-hate
> > concept.

Sandra F

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Hello not all Hispanics are chocolate brown, Just like not all Black people
are blue black. Just not like not all white people are blonde and blue eyed.
Those actors you are talking about most likely do not dye their hair or
lighten their skin. Cubens and Venezuelans can be very light skin, so can
Mexicans. Like Cristina who is the host of a talk show. Hispanics are a very
large group that the govement could not find a name for so they lumped us
all as the same group- just like they write WHITE on our birth certificate.
Most people know that in all ethnic groups it is all about color. You can
not tell me that this not true, so what are they going to show on T.V.?
That's WHY.

DA wrote in message <3624B1B3...@hotmail.com>...
>Do Hispanics want to be WHITE? Blond hair, light hair, and the like.

John O'Flaherty

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

"Juan Rodríguez-Vélez" wrote:

> The question should be....why is white skin bad?????

It may be at a slight disadvantage with the ozone layer disappearing. But
there's always sunblock!
john

BryonL

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Have you heard the word "mestizo"?
In Cuba about 40% of the population is a mix of White and Blacks in all
imaginable colors.
In Latin America there is a great mix of White(Europeans from Spain,
Italy, Germany ) and local tribes ,
Brasil have the Portugese mixing with blacks and indians.
The difference is that in South America we are no RACISTS as here in the
STATES.
Leslie

Azam Khan

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
DA Hello,

It must be hard for the Hispanics to live in an extremely racist culture
like the US and if a few women are dying their hair blond just to fit in
then you should not blame the whole community for self hate.

I am a Pakistani and I know that many Pakistani women these days are putting
highlights in their hair and many use contact lenses to change their eye
color.....but it is more of a fashion statement in Pakistan rather than
trying to "fit in" a certain cultural or ethnic group. In anycase some
women end up looking very attractive and some totally out of place.
Bleaching of skin by women has been practiced in Pakistan for
years.....women use many botanical herbs to get a lighter tone of skin.

Pakistanis are a people of extreme diversity.....they have dark skinned
people from Karachi in the South to very light skinned people in the
territories in the North. If some Pakistani women started coloring their
hair and wearing contact lenses then I would be very hesitant to say that
the Pakistanis hate themselves. Take care.

Azam.

P.S. We may be a poor developing nation but thank God we do not have the
racism seeds in our society like you have them in the US.

--
Azam Khan's Web Page: http://www.erols.com/sap1

************************************
Site Updated September 23, 1998

Please participate in the poll
WHO IS THE BIGGEST PAKISTANI CROOK ?
************************************

Juan Rodríguez-Vélez

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

BryonL wrote in message <362C77...@prodigy.net>...
>Have you heard the word "mestizo"?
>In Cuba about 40% of the population is a mix of White and Blacks in all
>imaginable colors.
>In Latin America there is a great mix of White(Europeans from Spain,
>Italy, Germany ) and local tribes ,
>Brasil have the Portugese mixing with blacks and indians.
>The difference is that in South America we are no RACISTS as here in the
>STATES.
>Leslie

Really? Let's see.....

Brazil

The Ethnic Mix

Because of the tremendous influx of immigrants into Brazil during the 19th century, the population is mostly Caucasian (60%) and mixed (30%).

 The Portuguese were followed by Italians, Germans, Syrians, and Lebanese. Asians, especially Japanese, arrived during the 1930s. About 1 million native Americans, mostly of Tupi-Guarani, Carib, Arawak, and Ge linguistic stock, lived in Brazil when the first Portuguese explorers arrived early in the 16th century. Intermarriage between Portuguese and indigenous peoples produced a new race called mamelucos by the Brazilians. Beginning in 1538, African slaves were brought to Brazil. Almost 5 million slaves were admitted before the abolition of slavery in 1888. Mulattoes, those of mixed black and white ancestry, constitute perhaps 20% of the population. Today, the population of Brazil's three southernmost states is mostly white. Blacks and mulattoes are concentrated along the Atlantic Coast. Native Americans, who fish and practice slash-and-burn agriculture, live mostly in the Amazon Basin. Of the perhaps 200,000 native Americans living in the interior, many are threatened by the gradual encroachment of farmers and miners.

******

Argentina

Population

About 85 percent of the population is of European origin

. Unlike most Latin American countries, Argentina has relatively few mestizos (persons of mixed European and Native American ancestry), although their number has increased in recent times. European immigration continues to be officially encouraged; from 1850 to 1940, some 6,608,700 Europeans settled in the country. Spanish and Italian immigrants have predominated, with significant numbers of French, British, German, Russian, Polish, Syrian, and other South American immigrants. More than one-third of the population lives in or around Buenos Aires; about 87 percent of the people live in urban areas.

Population Characteristics

According to the 1991 census, Argentina had a population of 32,663,983. The 1995 estimated population is 34,264,000, giving the country an overall population density of about 12 persons per sq km (about 32 per sq mi) in 1995.

Brazil

Population

Four major groups make up the Brazilian population: Native Americans, who live primarily in the northern and western border regions; the Portuguese, whose ancestors began colonizing the country in the 16th century; Africans, whose ancestors were brought to Brazil as slaves; and various European and Asian immigrant groups that came to the country beginning in the 19th century. People of European descent, primarily Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish, compose 54 percent of the population. About 39 percent are mulattoes, those with mixed African and European ancestry, or mestizos, those with mixed European and Native American heritage. About 6 percent are mixed black and Native American and 1 percent are Asian. Those with full Native American ancestry constitute about 0.2 percent of the population.

Population Characteristics

The population of Brazil was 146,154,502 at the 1991 census. The 1995 estimate was 161,382,000, giving the country an overall population density of about 19 persons per sq km (about 49 per sq mi). About 79 percent of Brazil's people live in urban areas. About 80 percent of the population lives within about 320 km (about 200 mi) of the Atlantic coast.

Cuba

Population

The Cuban population is made up mainly of three groups. Approximately 66 percent of the population is white and mainly of Spanish descent; 22 percent is of mixed racial heritage and 12 percent is black. Almost all of the people are native-born. More than 75 percent of the population is classified as urban. The revolutionary government, installed in 1959, has generally destroyed the rigid social stratification inherited from Spanish colonial rule.

Population Characteristics, Religion, and Language

The population of Cuba at the 1981 census was 9,723,605; the estimated population in 1995 was 11,091,000, giving the country a population density of about 97 persons per sq km (about 251 per sq mi). Professed Roman Catholics have declined from more than 70 percent to about 33 percent of the population since 1957. Among Protestants, about 1 percent of Cubans, Pentecostalism is the predominant tradition. About 50 percent of Cubans consider themselves nonreligious. Spanish is the official language of Cuba.

Uruguay

Population

The people of Uruguay are predominantly of European origin, many of them foreign-born, and come chiefly from Spain and Italy and also from Brazil, Argentina, and France

. Only about 5 to 10 percent are mestizos, persons of mixed European and Native American ancestry. None of the small original Native American population remains.

Population Characteristics

The population of Uruguay (1995 estimate) is 3,186,000. The average population density is about 18 persons per sq km (about 47 per sq mi). The population is concentrated near the coast. Only about 10 percent of the population is rural.

Costa Rica

Population

A majority of the people of Costa Rica are of European (largely Spanish) descent

. Whites and mestizos (people of mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry) account for about 96 percent of the population; the small black community is largely of Jamaican origin. About 50 percent of the population is defined as rural. Spanish is the official language, but English is also spoken by many educated people and some of the ethnic Jamaicans. Roman Catholicism is the state religion, but freedom of worship is guaranteed by the constitution.

Population Characteristics

The population of Costa Rica (1995 estimate) is about 3,424,000, giving the country an estimated overall population density of about 67 persons per sq km (about 174 per sq mi).

Political Divisions

Costa Rica is divided into seven provinces: San José, Alajuela, Cartago, Puntarenas, Guanacaste, Heredia, and Limón. Each of the provinces has a governor appointed by the president.

Chile

Population

Compared with other South American countries, Chile has a population that is relatively homogeneous. The early Spanish settlers intermarried with the Native Americans, notably the Araucanian; their descendants, the mestizos, constitute more than 92 percent of the current population. European immigration has not been as important in Chile as in other countries of the Americas; immigration was only mildly encouraged in the 19th century. German immigrants have, however, been an important influence in the Valdivia-Puerto Montt area. Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Great Britain, the former Yugoslavia, and France have also made significant contributions to the population. Today less than 2 percent of the country's population is of unmixed European stock. Only 6 percent of the population is pure Native American, mainly Araucanians who are concentrated in the southern region.

Population Characteristics

The population of Chile at the 1992 census was 13,321,803. The 1995 estimated population is 14,237,000, giving the country an overall population density of about 19 people per sq km (about 49 per sq mi). Some nine-tenths of the people live in the central region between Concepción and La Serena. The average annual rate of increase during the early 1990s was 1.5 percent. About 86 percent of the population lives in urban centers, and nearly one-third of the country's entire population lives in the capital city of Santiago. Communities both in the south and in the northern desert are generally isolated and separated by vast, virtually unpopulated stretches.

Dominican Republic

Population

Most of the population of the Dominican Republic is of mixed Spanish and black-African descent.

 The society is about 65 percent urban.

Population Characteristics

The population of the Dominican Republic (1995 estimate) is about 7,915,000, giving the country an overall population density of about 162 persons per sq km (about 421 per sq mi).

Political Divisions and Principal Cities

The Dominican Republic is divided into 29 provinces plus the Distrito Nacional (National District), which encompasses Santo Domingo, the capital. The provinces are subdivided into municipalities and townships.

Santo Domingo

, also the leading port, had an estimated population of 2,400,000 in 1994. Other important cities include Santiago or Santiago de los Caballeros (1994; 500,000), a trade and transportation center; San Pedro de Macorís (1991 estimate; 137,000), a seaport; and San Francisco de Macorís (1991 estimate; 162,000) and Barahona (1981; 49,334), both agricultural trade centers.

Venezuela

Population

About 67 percent of the population of Venezuela is made up of mestizos

 (people of mixed European and Native American ancestry), and some 21 percent is of white descent. The remainder is predominantly black, and about 2 percent of the total population is unmixed Native American. The society is 93 percent urban. Spanish is the official language of the country. The principal religion is Roman Catholicism.

Population Characteristics

The Venezuelan population (1995 estimate) is about 21,483,000, giving the country an overall population density of about 24 persons per sq km (61 per sq mi). About 80 percent of the population lives in the northern highlands or coastal regions. Only about 5 percent inhabits the huge area (nearly 50 percent of the total land area) south of the Orinoco River. Native Americans living in the jungles were estimated to number about 53,500 in 1981.

Political Divisions

Venezuela is divided into 22 states; the federal dependencies, which comprise 72 islands in the Caribbean; and the Distrito Federal (Federal District), site of Caracas, the national capital.

Microsoft Encarta 97 Enciclopedia

naeem s.

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:10:34 -0400, Azam Khan <sa...@erols.com> wrote:

>DA Hello,
>
>It must be hard for the Hispanics to live in an extremely racist culture
>like the US and if a few women are dying their hair blond just to fit in
>then you should not blame the whole community for self hate.
>
>I am a Pakistani and I know that many Pakistani women these days are putting
>highlights in their hair and many use contact lenses to change their eye
>color.....but it is more of a fashion statement in Pakistan rather than
>trying to "fit in" a certain cultural or ethnic group. In anycase some
>women end up looking very attractive and some totally out of place.
>Bleaching of skin by women has been practiced in Pakistan for
>years.....women use many botanical herbs to get a lighter tone of skin.
>
>Pakistanis are a people of extreme diversity.....they have dark skinned
>people from Karachi in the South to very light skinned people in the
>territories in the North. If some Pakistani women started coloring their
>hair and wearing contact lenses then I would be very hesitant to say that
>the Pakistanis hate themselves. Take care.
>
>Azam.
>
>P.S. We may be a poor developing nation but thank God we do not have the
>racism seeds in our society like you have them in the US.

-- perhaps the Hispanics are dyeing their hair for the same reasons as the
Pakistanis since I have seen women in Mexico and Cuba with dyed hair. .. plus
there is racism in Pakistan/India. The behaviour of some people in this
newsgroup is enough evidence of that, and some of this completely ignorant
behaviour in India/Pakistan is based on skin colour as well.

Women/Men in India/Pakistan are concerned with whiteness of skin - just notice
how many matrimonial ads for women have 'fair' in them, and there are a lot of
products on the market to bleach your skin with (e.g. Stillmans bleach cream).
Our women are as obsessed as the men, with the mommies telling their ladlas
how they'll get them gori begums :)

In some South Asian cultures, women use a mixture of turmeric, besan and some
oil (i think sarsoN or Amla) called ubtan to give their skins a yellow tinge
and apparently to become fair skinned. Besan (gram flour) is however a good
exfoliating agent as well. Anyways, I don't know if this gora/kaala thing is
historical or a by-product of British rule, but its presence can't be denied.

>--
>Azam Khan's Web Page: http://www.erols.com/sap1

> Site Updated September 23, 1998
>
>Please participate in the poll