Profile Pakistani Women (Nafisa Shah)

1 view

soh...@netcom.com

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

Profile Pakistani Women (Nafisa Shah)

Nafisa Shah is a 28 year old News line reporter . She joined
New line in 1989 since then she has become one of the
leading reporters of English journalism. She has touched
upon subjects that were not so long ago considered Taboos by
the Journalism Profession.

And following her example many more journalist have started
to feature stories which concern the social aspects of the
society. In her short stint as a reporter she has been
awarded the All Pakistan Newspaper society award several
times. She has also been awarded the Global 500 award for
her work on the environment.

Nafisa shah does not believe in Being a "desk jockey"
rather she travels to the remote areas of Sindh and
Baluchistan for her stories and to portray reality in her
reporting. Amongst her work Include the article On Karo Kari
in Newsline In 1993 which gave courage to other news
reporters who were scared of the repercussions to write
against the wealthy ;and lords.

She has been a leading voice amongst journalist on the issue
of Violence against women. In 1995 she produced "prisoner of
Gender" an investigative account of the plight of women in
Pakistan. In July 1994 she wrote a story about the slow
poisoning of Innumerable karachites due to the contamination
of drinking water . Her work on the hunting of Houbra
bustard is also worth a mention.

Nafisa's dedication can best be described in her own words
" I am very proud of my research and I feel that in order to
write with honesty about your people , you have to study and
understand their folklore and their culture . every inch of
our land is full of color and lore's"

NB: Excerpts from "I want to reach out to masses " published
In The News written By Mahnaz Kazim.

Shahid Karim

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

>Sender: soh...@netcom18.netcom.com

I congratulate Nafisa Shah for her Original work and dedication towards her
Profession.

Shahid