GPS

Bert

Jul 16, 2003, 3:11:38 AM7/16/03
Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong group.
We are traveling to NZ this november and I would like to use my PDA with GPS
in a rental car. Untill now I haven´t found any software that also comes
with NZ Maps. What kind of software do you use on a Windows CE based PDA?

All kind of tips are welcome.

Thanks!
Greetings

Bert. (Netherlands)

Brian Boutel

Jul 16, 2003, 4:47:39 AM7/16/03
Bruce Hoult wrote:
> In article <3f14fb72$0$49106$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>,

> "Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote:
>

>>Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong group.
>>We are traveling to NZ this november and I would like to use my PDA with GPS
>>in a rental car. Untill now I havenŽt found any software that also comes

>>with NZ Maps. What kind of software do you use on a Windows CE based PDA?
>

> I don't know of any street/highway maps of NZ suitable for use with GPS
> software. I suspect there simply isn't enough population to make such a
> product profitable compared to the effort involved in producing it.

There are several NZ mapping programs that support GPS. I use Tumonz
(www.tumonz.co.nz), and I also know of Polymedia (www.polymedia.co.nz).
These have maps on cd or dvd, or loaded to disk, so will work with a
laptop. I don't know about any software for PDAs.

--brian

--
Brian Boutel
Wellington New Zealand

Note the NOSPAM

http://CBC.am/

Jul 16, 2003, 4:46:32 AM7/16/03
GPS car navigation products perfectly OK for NZ, one master open source
database needed...

Sadly, most GPS software companies are in the US -- and 99.99423% of
Americans cannot find NZ.

: (

> > Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong group.
> > We are traveling to NZ this november and I would like to use my PDA with
GPS
> > in a rental car. Untill now I haven´t found any software that also comes
> > with NZ Maps. What kind of software do you use on a Windows CE based
PDA?

Bruce Hoult

Jul 16, 2003, 5:46:46 AM7/16/03
In article <Li8Ra.5213$9f7.6...@news02.tsnz.net>,
Brian Boutel <boutel...@acm.org> wrote:

> Bruce Hoult wrote:
> > In article <3f14fb72$0$49106$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>,
> > "Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote:
> >

> >>Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong group.
> >>We are traveling to NZ this november and I would like to use my PDA with GPS

> >>in a rental car. Untill now I havenZťt found any software that also comes

> >>with NZ Maps. What kind of software do you use on a Windows CE based PDA?
> >

> > I don't know of any street/highway maps of NZ suitable for use with GPS
> > software. I suspect there simply isn't enough population to make such a
> > product profitable compared to the effort involved in producing it.
> >

> There are several NZ mapping programs that support GPS. I use Tumonz
> (www.tumonz.co.nz)

Just had a look at their web site.

They are *so* incredibly Windows-centric that they don't even bother to
mention that it only works on Windows, they just wibble on about INstall
Wizard this, and C drive that...

Useless. I've got five operating systems at home, and it would appear
that none of them compatable with these guy's product. And they don't
appear to say whether their map data file format is documented so I can
at least write my own program to use it.

-- Bruce

Daniel Silva

Jul 16, 2003, 6:10:31 AM7/16/03
Bruce Hoult <br...@hoult.org> wrote in message
> Brian Boutel wrote:

> > There are several NZ mapping programs that support GPS. I use Tumonz
> > (www.tumonz.co.nz)
>
> Just had a look at their web site.
>
> They are *so* incredibly Windows-centric that they don't even bother to
> mention that it only works on Windows, they just wibble on about INstall
> Wizard this, and C drive that...
>
> Useless.

Fancy that! A company writes software that is useful to only 95% of personal
computer users.

Brian Harmer

Jul 16, 2003, 6:48:28 AM7/16/03

Daniel, I must apologise for this, but I absolutely agree with you.

E. Scrooge

Jul 16, 2003, 7:11:09 AM7/16/03

"Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote in message

I could be wrong here, but at a wild guess don't you have to use your little
eyeballs to use that lot to find out where you are?
For a dollar for a real well detailed road map, you could still use your
eyeballs on that just as easily. The big bonus is that if you should happen
to get lost, you can then set fire to your map to keep you warm. But wait
there's more, should you be lucky enough to find some fresh road kill, you
can then use your new well detailed road map to help cook the bugger with it
as well.

E. Scrooge

Bruce Hoult

Jul 16, 2003, 8:27:24 AM7/16/03
In article <vw9Ra.81242$JA5.1...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
"Daniel Silva" <dan...@NOSPAMsilva.co.nz> wrote:

The market in question is GPS owners, not personal computer owners. I'd
bet good money that as GPS ownership is still somewhat leading edge, GPS
owners' choice of operating system is likely to be leading edge as well,
not "Browser? What's a 'browser'? I just use The Internet ... it says
so right here...".

-- Bruce

Steve Roy

Jul 16, 2003, 1:33:46 PM7/16/03
OziExploere may be what you are looking for...

http://www.oziexplorer.com

Steve

Brian Harmer

Jul 16, 2003, 4:04:00 PM7/16/03
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:27:24 +1200, Bruce Hoult <br...@hoult.org>
wrote:

>The market in question is GPS owners, not personal computer owners. I'd
>bet good money that as GPS ownership is still somewhat leading edge, GPS
>owners' choice of operating system is likely to be leading edge as well,
>not "Browser? What's a 'browser'? I just use The Internet ... it says
>so right here...".

I question the"leading edge" categorisation. I think the most likely
criterion is reasonable disposable income.
--
Brian M. Harmer

Daniel Silva

Jul 16, 2003, 4:47:10 PM7/16/03
"Bruce Hoult" <br...@hoult.org> wrote in message

You could be right. When I first saw Tumonz, it was being used by a
heighbour to find and mark good fishing spots around the Hauraki Gulf. He
never had a PC before and bought himself one just to run that CD. His
fishing is still rather mediocre, unfortunately.

jasonr

Jul 16, 2003, 5:25:23 PM7/16/03
"E. Scrooge" <e.sc...@ieyehug.co.nz (remove eye)> writes:

> I could be wrong here, but at a wild guess don't you have to use your little
> eyeballs to use that lot to find out where you are?

No. The one I have used in a rental car in San Francisco gave you
verbal instructions once you had told it where you wanted to go.

E. Scrooge

Jul 16, 2003, 6:44:44 PM7/16/03

<jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com> wrote in message

Turn left
Straight ahead
Turn right
#@&#!

Oops! Been recently changed to a one way street.
LOL

Such a system could be handy to get round the suburbs of Christchurch.

E. Scrooge

jasonr

Jul 16, 2003, 6:48:15 PM7/16/03
"E. Scrooge" <e.sc...@ieyehug.co.nz (remove eye)> writes:

> > No. The one I have used in a rental car in San Francisco gave you
> > verbal instructions once you had told it where you wanted to go.
>
> Turn left
> Straight ahead
> Turn right
> #@&#!
>
> Oops! Been recently changed to a one way street.

Its more like:

"Left turn into Grey Street coming up in two blocks"....
"Next turn left."

"Right turn into Smith Street coming up in two blocks followed by
immediate left turn into Brown Street"....
"Next turn right followed by immediate left."

#@&#!

Oops! Been recently changed to a one way street. Never mind the GPS
will figure out an alternative route as soon as it realises you
missed the turn.

Until I actually used one, I didn't realise how good they really are.

Brian Boutel

Jul 16, 2003, 10:48:59 PM7/16/03
Bruce Hoult wrote:
> In article <Li8Ra.5213$9f7.6...@news02.tsnz.net>,
> Brian Boutel <boutel...@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Bruce Hoult wrote:

>>>I don't know of any street/highway maps of NZ suitable for use with GPS
>>>software. I suspect there simply isn't enough population to make such a
>>>product profitable compared to the effort involved in producing it.
>>>

>>There are several NZ mapping programs that support GPS. I use Tumonz
>>(www.tumonz.co.nz)
>

> Just had a look at their web site.
>
> They are *so* incredibly Windows-centric that they don't even bother to
> mention that it only works on Windows, they just wibble on about INstall
> Wizard this, and C drive that...
>
> Useless. I've got five operating systems at home, and it would appear
> that none of them compatable with these guy's product. And they don't
> appear to say whether their map data file format is documented so I can
> at least write my own program to use it.

What a rant!

Anyway, I'm running Tumonz in Linux.

[I'm running it with wine, and admittedly it's installed under Win98 in
a small partition on my laptop, but Windows now never gets booted. It
may be possible to install and run it without the Windows installation,
but that would be too much like hard work, and would require far greater
knowledge of the mysteries of wine than I'm prepared to invest in.]

Sue Bilstein

Jul 17, 2003, 3:55:35 AM7/17/03
<jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com> wrote in message

I heard a review of a GPS direction system - the reviewer drove out onto
Devonport Wharf & the robot got really alarmed. "You are driving out to
sea - turn around -" or words to that effect.

Brian Dooley

Jul 17, 2003, 9:57:45 PM7/17/03

Or "Pull up, pull up"?

--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand

Mark Remfrey

Jul 18, 2003, 12:19:27 AM7/18/03

"Brian Dooley" <bri...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

What about one that starts giving off sonar pings so you can find your way
back?

Mark

Peter Ashby

Jul 18, 2003, 10:56:54 AM7/18/03
In article <mRiRa.82965$JA5.1...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
"Daniel Silva" <dan...@NOSPAMsilva.co.nz> wrote:

Tell him I am available to hire, references from my brother in law in
Grey Lynn. We went out in the gulf once a few years ago, over a reef a
ways off Mototapu (sp?). Well with a side swell I got seasick and was
providing 'chum' over the side at regular intervals. Despite this I was
catching all the snapper fishing of port while BiL was catching nothing
to starboard (4m dinghy). Even when we swapped sides I was still
catching all the fish. When we got home my sister kindly cooked them
fresh for us and they were absolutely delicious.

Anyway my fee is $50 per hour but you may find my travelling expenses
rather high ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.

Sue Bilstein

Jul 19, 2003, 1:39:21 AM7/19/03
"Peter Ashby" <p.r....@MAPS.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message

> In article <mRiRa.82965$JA5.1...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> "Daniel Silva" <dan...@NOSPAMsilva.co.nz> wrote:
> > You could be right. When I first saw Tumonz, it was being used by a
> > heighbour to find and mark good fishing spots around the Hauraki Gulf.
He
> > never had a PC before and bought himself one just to run that CD. His
> > fishing is still rather mediocre, unfortunately.
>
> Tell him I am available to hire, references from my brother in law in
> Grey Lynn. We went out in the gulf once a few years ago, over a reef a
> ways off Mototapu (sp?).

Motutapu.

> Well with a side swell I got seasick and was
> providing 'chum' over the side at regular intervals. Despite this I was
> catching all the snapper fishing of port while BiL was catching nothing
> to starboard (4m dinghy). Even when we swapped sides I was still
> catching all the fish. When we got home my sister kindly cooked them
> fresh for us and they were absolutely delicious.

May be something in the scent of your hands vs. your BIL's - if you were
each baiting your own hooks. Fish can be choosy that way.

> Anyway my fee is $50 per hour but you may find my travelling expenses
> rather high ;-)

Have you done any fishing in Scotland, Peter?

Peter Ashby

Jul 19, 2003, 8:47:30 AM7/19/03
Sue Bilstein <sue_bi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Have you done any fishing in Scotland, Peter?

No, I don't much fancy freshwater fishing and lacking a boat makes sea
fishing not easy around here. Fish are not particularly abundant in the
North Sea at the moment either, unfortunately.

Peter

Daniel Silva

Jul 19, 2003, 9:01:10 AM7/19/03
"Peter Ashby" <p.r....@MAPS.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message
> In article <mRiRa.82965$JA5.1...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> "Daniel Silva" <dan...@NOSPAMsilva.co.nz> wrote:
>

> > You could be right. When I first saw Tumonz, it was being used by a
> > heighbour to find and mark good fishing spots around the Hauraki Gulf.
He
> > never had a PC before and bought himself one just to run that CD. His
> > fishing is still rather mediocre, unfortunately.
>
> Tell him I am available to hire, references from my brother in law in
> Grey Lynn. We went out in the gulf once a few years ago, over a reef a
> ways off Mototapu (sp?). Well with a side swell I got seasick and was
> providing 'chum' over the side at regular intervals. Despite this I was
> catching all the snapper fishing of port while BiL was catching nothing
> to starboard (4m dinghy). Even when we swapped sides I was still
> catching all the fish. When we got home my sister kindly cooked them
> fresh for us and they were absolutely delicious.
>
> Anyway my fee is $50 per hour but you may find my travelling expenses
> rather high ;-)

Just bottle the 'chum' and post it. The Motutapu fish obviously love it.

Jim Purdie

Jul 19, 2003, 6:13:55 AM7/19/03

"Brian Boutel" <boutel...@acm.org> wrote in message

> There are several NZ mapping programs that support GPS. I use Tumonz
> (www.tumonz.co.nz), and I also know of Polymedia (www.polymedia.co.nz).
> These have maps on cd or dvd, or loaded to disk, so will work with a
> laptop. I don't know about any software for PDAs.
>
> --brian
>

> --
> Brian Boutel
> Wellington New Zealand

I had not seen the tumonz map, though I have NZ covered by the polymedia
ones at both 1:50000 and 1:250000. So I sent off and bought the tumonz CD.
It arrived by post in a couple of days, very prompt service.

I find it good in some ways for populated areas, even giving street names in
towns when you zoom in enough. However, I feel it has rather the feel of a
work in progress, being rather light on names of buildings and features
compared to a good street map, or even the 1:50000 CD's. Streets and roads
are all single lines, for example. Of course the 1:50000 take 6 CD's to
cover the country, as against 1 for the tumonz. In my opinion, too, it is
pretty useless for tramping areas. Not enough detail, and some of the detail
of rivers, etc. seems wrong in areas that I know well. I suppose more or
less what one would expect from a vector drawing, though turning on the 2D
shading seems to give better delineation of river valleys and ridges.
Buidings in country areas are shown by a symbol, but they are not all there
by any means, and often the choice of which ones are shown seems to be a
matter of chance.

Interesting, but no chocolate fish. I personally prefer the polymedia bitmap
versions. With them I am much more able to pick out features I remember from
all those years ago, and work out road routes, etc. for the present. They
don't have street names, but in my opinion give more detail, even at
1:250000. However, if you want outlines of the country, or parts of it, the
tumonz maps would be ideal. I gather you can edit the drawings, but I have
not investigated doing this as yet.

I am rather a map addict, and I have worked as a draughtsman, so I enjoy
looking at a well-drawn map. I don't get the same pleasure from the tumonz
map, though I can admire the skill required to make a vector drawing of the
whole country.

Just my humble opinion.

Jim Purdie

Bert

Jul 21, 2003, 6:03:46 AM7/21/03
Thanks to all you people for the overwelming reactions!
I think I´ll just use an old fashion paper map when I come to visit, as
there is no easy way to use my handheld. It is just not verry handy to take
my laptop on the 4 week trip.

Thanks again for all the trouble you went through!

See ya in november!

Bert.

Ashley

Jul 21, 2003, 6:14:32 AM7/21/03

> Thanks to all you people for the overwelming reactions!
> I think I´ll just use an old fashion paper map when I come to visit

Hell, if it works it ain't old-fashioned!

Bert

Jul 21, 2003, 9:52:20 AM7/21/03

"Ashley" <ashleyjane@U.N_S.P*A.M&E+D_xtra.co.nz> schreef in bericht

> "Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote in message
> > Thanks to all you people for the overwelming reactions!
> > I think I惻l just use an old fashion paper map when I come to visit

> Hell, if it works it ain't old-fashioned!

I惴 sorry, I didn愒 mean to be offensive. I mend it in a positive way. I
just tried to make a joke. Ofcourse a map is not oldfashioned, and it will
work just perfect for our hollidays. We will enjoy your country just as
much.

Greetings,

Bert.

Ashley

Jul 21, 2003, 3:31:12 PM7/21/03

> "Ashley" <ashleyjane@U.N_S.P*A.M&E+D_xtra.co.nz> schreef in bericht
> >
> > "Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote in message
> > > Thanks to all you people for the overwelming reactions!
> > > I think I惻l just use an old fashion paper map when I come to visit
> >
> > Hell, if it works it ain't old-fashioned!
> >

> I惴 sorry, I didn愒 mean to be offensive.

You weren't :-)

E. Scrooge

Jul 21, 2003, 6:06:18 PM7/21/03

"Bert" <be...@tandartsbus.tk> wrote in message

There's only one main road running down through the country. You probably
won't get that lost on all the little tracks that run off it through the
many native villages along the way.
If you do get lost be real primitive and just ask for directions.

E. Scrooge

jasonr

Jul 21, 2003, 6:27:47 PM7/21/03
"E. Scrooge" <e.sc...@ieyehug.co.nz (remove eye)> writes:

> There's only one main road running down through the country. You probably
> won't get that lost on all the little tracks that run off it through the
> many native villages along the way.
> If you do get lost be real primitive and just ask for directions.

I think you've hit on the real reason why there isn't really any
roadmaps for use with in-car GPS in NZ.

Peter H.M. Brooks

Jul 22, 2003, 2:01:42 AM7/22/03

"E. Scrooge" <e.sc...@ieyehug.co.nz (remove eye)> wrote in message

> If you do get lost be real primitive and just ask for directions.

Don't you need a wife for that?

--
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

Bruce Hoult

Jul 22, 2003, 6:15:21 AM7/22/03
In article <uispvo...@jasonrumney.net>,

Yes it's true. The natives can get from pretty much anywhere to
anywhere without benefit of a map.

Street map would be helpful, but ever then, I find I can look at an
Auckland street map to find someone's place (that I haven't been to
before), then put the map away, drive from Wellington to Auckland and
straight to the place I want.

-- Bruce