ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain

1 view

Michael Ejercito

Feb 6, 2015, 10:34:41 AM2/6/15
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will-remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html

ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain

By Jeff Jacoby GLOBE COLUMNIST FEBRUARY 06, 2015
BOOK BURNING is as old as books, and as current as this week’s news.

The Associated Press reported on Monday that Islamic State fanatics have
ravaged the Central Library of Mosul, the largest repository of learning in
that ancient city. Militants smashed the library’s locks and overran its
collections, removing thousands of volumes on philosophy, science, and law,
along with books of poetry and children’s stories. Only Islamic texts were
left behind.

“These books promote infidelity and call for disobeying Allah,” one of the
ISIS jihadists announced as the library’s holdings were emptied into sacks
and loaded onto pickup trucks. “So they will be burned.”

There was more book-burning soon afterward, when Islamic State vandals
sacked the library at the University of Mosul. “They made a bonfire out of
hundreds of books on science and culture, destroying them in front of
students,” AP reported. Lost in the libricide were newspapers, maps, and
texts dating back to the Ottoman Empire. UNESCO, the United Nations’
educational and cultural agency, decried the libraries’ torching as “one of
the most devastating acts of destruction of library collections in human
history.”

Perhaps the most chilling words ever written about book-burning were penned
in 1821 by the great German poet Heinrich Heine: Dort wo man Bücher
verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen — “Where they burn books,
they will in the end also burn people.” Today that axiom is etched on a
plaque in Berlin’s Bebelplatz, the public square where more than 20,000
books deemed “un-German” and “decadent” were destroyed in a vast Nazi
bonfire on the night of May 10, 1933.

Though Heine’s words are indelibly associated now with the Holocaust, they
have lost none of their grim prescience. Just one day after news emerged of
the book-burnings in the Islamic State’s so-called “caliphate,” the
jihadists released a ghastly video exulting in the murder of Jordanian pilot
Moaz al-Kasasbeh, who was burned alive in a metal cage.

There is something uniquely diabolical about setting books on fire, a lust
to obliterate that almost ineluctably leads to even more dreadful evils. It
is no coincidence that those obsessed with annihilating the physical
expression of dangerous thoughts or teachings so often move on to
annihilating the people who think or teach them.

“A book is a loaded gun in the house next door. Burn it,” orders Captain
Beatty, the book-hating fire chief in “Fahrenheit 451,” Ray Bradbury’s
dystopian classic. “Take the shot from the weapon. Breach man’s mind. Who
knows who might be the target of the well-read man?”

Yet if the long and heartbreaking history of book-burning teaches anything,
it is that books cannot be killed by fire. Pages can be burned, libraries
can be reduced to ash, treatises can be found guilty of heresy or sedition
and set ablaze. But ideas are not so easily extirpated. Heine’s books were
among those the Nazis flung on the bonfires in 1933; so were the books of
more than 2,000 other authors, including Bertolt Brecht, Sigmund Freud, Karl
Marx, Ernest Hemingway, Leo Tolstoy, and Franz Kafka. Josef Goebbels assured
the enthusiastic crowd that they would “commit to the flames the evil spirit
of the past.” The books, however, are still alive. It was the Third Reich
that went down in flames.

The story of books is the story of books being suppressed — a story of
staggering cruelty, and of equally staggering futility. The destruction of
Mosul’s libraries prompted one Iraqi parliamentarian, Hakim al-Zamili, to
compare ISIS to the Mongols who conquered Baghdad in 1258. Then, too, prized
works of learning — on history, medicine, astronomy — were demolished. “The
only difference is that Mongols threw the books in the Tigris River, while
now [ISIS] is burning them,” al-Zamili said. “Different method, but same
mentality.”

Indeed, in their bloodlust and zealotry, the book-burners of ISIS have many
antecedents — Crusaders, Mongols, Nazis, Wahhabis, Khmer Rouge. But ISIS too
will find that it is easier to slaughter human beings than to destroy ideas.

The Talmud records the death of Chanina ben Teradion, a 2nd-century Jewish
sage killed by the Romans for violating a ban on teaching Torah. It was a
terrible death: He was wrapped in the scroll from which he had been teaching
and set on fire, with wet wool placed on his chest to prolong the agony. His
horrified disciples, forced to witness his death, cried out: “Rabbi, what do
you see?” He replied: “I see parchment burning, but the letters are soaring
free.”

Any brute can burn parchment, or ransack a library, or blow up a mosque, or
bulldoze cultural treasures. But not even mighty armies can destroy the
ideas they embody. The Roman Empire couldn’t keep the letters from soaring
free. ISIS can’t either.

NEMO

Feb 6, 2015, 11:35:41 AM2/6/15
On 2/6/2015 7:34 AM, Michael Ejercito wrote:
> http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will-remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html
>

> ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain

Wait till it starts burning jews, gook!

> By Jeff Jacoby GLOBE COLUMNIST FEBRUARY 06, 2015

The ONLY idea that will remain for you is zsucking Jeff Jakobstein's fat
jew rectum!
Message has been deleted

Michael Ejercito

Feb 6, 2015, 9:14:39 PM2/6/15

"NEMO" wrote in message news:mb2qgq$1c8$1...@news.mixmin.net...

>On 2/6/2015 7:34 AM, Michael Ejercito wrote:
>> http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will->>remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html
>>

>> ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain

>Wait till it starts burning jews, gook!
Mangina, we will destroy them.

>> By Jeff Jacoby GLOBE COLUMNIST FEBRUARY 06, 2015

>The ONLY idea that will remain for you is zsucking Jeff Jakobstein's fat
>jew rectum!
Wrong.

Michael

NEMO

Feb 6, 2015, 9:59:56 PM2/6/15
On 2/6/2015 6:14 PM, Michael Ejercito wrote:

> "NEMO" wrote in message news:mb2qgq$1c8$1...@news.mixmin.net...
>
>> On 2/6/2015 7:34 AM, Michael Ejercito wrote:
>>> http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will->>remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html
>>>

>>> ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain
>
>> Wait till it starts burning jews, gook!
> Mangina, we will destroy them.

You won't destroy jews, gook...you'll zsuck their rectums!

>>> By Jeff Jacoby GLOBE COLUMNIST FEBRUARY 06, 2015
>
>> The ONLY idea that will remain for you is zsucking Jeff Jakobstein's
>> fat jew rectum!
> Wrong.

Prove it, asshole.

Mr. B1ack

Feb 6, 2015, 10:18:47 PM2/6/15
On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 07:34:43 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will-remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html
>
>ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain

Yes, the ideas that drive ISIL will remain .... as they
have for nearly two millenia now.

Actually, bad ideas seem to have more longevity
than good ideas ... especially ones that justify
doing horrible things to your opponents.

Message has been deleted

Michael Ejercito

Feb 7, 2015, 11:48:59 AM2/7/15

"The Peeler" wrote in message news:mb4r70$fbm$1...@news.mixmin.net...

>On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 18:59:39 -0800, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of
>sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, FAKING his time zone again,
>farted:

>>> Mangina, we will destroy them.
>>
>> You won't destroy jews, gook...you'll zsuck their rectums!
I suck no rectums.

But we Americans will destroy ISIS.
>Dreaming of men's rectums already again, The Rectum? You know what kind of
>"men" are known to be doing just that, you frustrated greedy fat old fag?
><BG>
Sodomites and buggerists.

Michael

Michael Ejercito

Feb 7, 2015, 11:50:14 AM2/7/15

"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message
Topaz still preaches Nazi ideology.

Michael

NEMO

Feb 8, 2015, 12:10:28 AM2/8/15
On 2/7/2015 8:49 AM, Michael Ejercito wrote:

>>> You won't destroy jews, gook...you'll zsuck their rectums!
> I suck no rectums.

You zsuck rectums WHOLESALE, gook!

> But we Americans will destroy ISIS.

You're not an American, gook...you don't even LOOK like a greeking
American. You won't destroy jack shit.

>> I'm dreaming of, men's rectums, already again, The Rectum! You know what
>> kind of "men" are, known to be, doing just that: frustrated greedy fat old Grik fags!
>> <BG>

Innit anus! <GBVVGB>

> Sodomites and buggerists.

Griks and gooks.

Mr. B1ack

Feb 8, 2015, 1:56:13 AM2/8/15
On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 08:50:16 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 07:34:43 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
>><meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/02/06/isis-burns-books-and-people-but-ideas-will->>remain/La1LDQkMyS5pRqqjVAFmKJ/story.html
>>>
>>>ISIS burns people and books, but ideas will remain
>
>> Yes, the ideas that drive ISIL will remain .... as they
>> have for nearly two millenia now.
>
>> Actually, bad ideas seem to have more longevity
>> than good ideas ... especially ones that justify
>> doing horrible things to your opponents.

> Topaz still preaches Nazi ideology.

And he's not the only one here that does. Hitlerian
fascism is definitely NOT dead ... indeed with Islamic
terrorism as a prod and justification it's going to see
more growth.

When hurt, when frustrated, when put upon, parts
of the mind visualize HORRIBLE things happening
to ones persecutors. When leader-figures encourage
such ideas they can gain a LOT of traction.

The relatively calm and balanced world we (westerners)
live in now is a historical anomoly. The most common
state of affairs is fanatics -vs- fanatics ... extremes
locked in combat. Doesn't matter who wins because
you've got fanatics in charge regardless. As the economic
and political relevance of the 'west' declines relative to
asian upstarts, I'm gonna predict that fanaticism, the
norm, will re-assert itself in the world.

No, we did NOT somehow "get past this". It's just been
on vacation. A few insults and all that egalitarian/peacenik
philosophy will crumble.The future promises to be more
of the past ... but with occasional nuclear detonations.

Message has been deleted

Michael Ejercito

Feb 8, 2015, 9:47:03 AM2/8/15

"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message

>On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 08:50:16 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
><meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message

>>> Yes, the ideas that drive ISIL will remain .... as they
>>> have for nearly two millenia now.
>>
>>> Actually, bad ideas seem to have more longevity
>>> than good ideas ... especially ones that justify
>>> doing horrible things to your opponents.

>> Topaz still preaches Nazi ideology.

> And he's not the only one here that does. Hitlerian
> fascism is definitely NOT dead ... indeed with Islamic
> terrorism as a prod and justification it's going to see
> more growth.
http://www.omdurman.org/

Note the comparison between militant Islamism and Nazism.

Michael

NEMO

Feb 8, 2015, 8:17:14 PM2/8/15
On 2/8/2015 6:47 AM, Michael Ejercito wrote:

> "Mr. B1ack" wrote in message
>
>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 08:50:16 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
>> <meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> "Mr. B1ack" wrote in message

>>> Topaz still preaches Nazi ideology.
>
>> And he's not the only one here that does. Hitlerian
>> fascism is definitely NOT dead ... indeed with Islamic
>> terrorism as a prod and justification it's going to see
>> more growth.
> http://www.omdurman.org/

Is that one of Levinstein's websites, gook? Keep zsucking his fat jew
rectum!

> Note the comparison between militant Islamism and Nazism.

There isn't one...at least not until Muslims start 'holocausting'®™ jews
such as Levinstein!

NEMO

Feb 8, 2015, 11:47:09 PM2/8/15
On 2/8/2015 5:06 AM, Forty Acres and a Mule wrote:
>> Perhaps the most chilling words ever written about book-burning were penned
>> in 1821 by the great German poet Heinrich Heine: Dort wo man Bücher
>> verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen -- "Where they burn books,
>> they will in the end also burn people." Today that axiom is etched on a
>> plaque in Berlin's Bebelplatz, the public square where more than 20,000
>> books deemed "un-German" and "decadent" were destroyed in a vast Nazi
>> bonfire on the night of May 10, 1933.
>>
> Why are you praising a German? It's well known that you hate Germans and have posted here that you wished to kill every last one of them.

The gook couldn't even kill ONE of them! He's exempt from having a pair!

Message has been deleted

Mr. B1ack

Feb 9, 2015, 7:56:40 AM2/9/15
On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 06:47:07 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 08:50:16 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
>><meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>"Mr. B1ack" wrote in message

>>> Topaz still preaches Nazi ideology.
>
>> And he's not the only one here that does. Hitlerian
>> fascism is definitely NOT dead ... indeed with Islamic
>> terrorism as a prod and justification it's going to see
>> more growth.
> http://www.omdurman.org/
>

> Note the comparison between militant Islamism and Nazism.

Extremists are more alike than different ... same gun to
the head, just a different speech before they pull the
trigger ..............

Michael Ejercito

Feb 9, 2015, 9:55:58 AM2/9/15

"The Peeler" wrote in message news:mba0e4$mus$1...@news.mixmin.net...

>On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 17:16:54 -0800, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of
>sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, FAKING his time zone again,
>farted:

>>> http://www.omdurman.org/
>>
>> Is that one of Levinstein's websites, gook?
The site mentions no one by the name of Levinstein.

>> Keep zsucking his fat jew
>> rectum!

>Are you some kind of idiot? You sound like one!
Yet again, the mangina brings up men's rectums.

Normal men sometimes fantasize about fucking women's vaginas.
>>> Note the comparison between militant Islamism and Nazism.
>>
>> There isn't one...at least not until Muslims start 'holocausting'®™ jews
>> such as Levinstein!

>See above! <BG>
We will roast militant Islamist sand Nazi terrorists.

Michael

Message has been deleted