Jewish Contributions to America

Joe Bruno

Mar 2, 2010, 11:13:03 PM3/2/10
JEWISH CONTRIBUTIONS TO SOCIETY

Jonas Salk created Polio Vaccine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Salk

Felix Frankfurter, Supreme Court Justice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Frankfurter

Abe Fortas, Supreme Court Justice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Fortas

Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg, Supreme Court Justice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg

Admiral Hyman Rickover, invented the nuclear submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_Rickover

Jews who won American War Medals

http://www.nmajmh.org/exhibitions/catalog-hallOfHeroes/cat23.php

Fattush

Mar 7, 2010, 6:04:04 AM3/7/10

The Jewish contribution to the US, especially in certain fields such
as science, medicine and the arts, has been tremendous . . . . far out
of proportion to the small number of Jews in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_scientists#Academics

mos...@mm.huji.ac.il

Mar 7, 2010, 7:53:01 AM3/7/10

You can change "US" to "world" and also be correct.

--
Moshe Schorr
It is a tremendous Mitzvah to always be happy! - Reb Nachman of Breslov

Joe Bruno

Mar 7, 2010, 9:29:05 PM3/7/10
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_scientists#Acade...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, neighbor,This is definitely a keeper.I've added this to my
favorites for future use.

Neil

Mar 8, 2010, 6:14:24 PM3/8/10
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:29:05 +0000 (UTC), Joe Bruno <joeb...@usa.com>
wrote:

Sandy Koufax - baseball legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax

--
Regards.

Neil

Joe Bruno

Mar 8, 2010, 8:17:06 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 3:14 pm, Neil <non...@noname.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:29:05 +0000 (UTC), Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com>

> wrote:

> >> The Jewish contribution to the US, especially in certain fields such
> >> as science, medicine and the arts, has been tremendous . . . . far out
> >> of proportion to the small number of Jews in the US.
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_scientists#Acade...Hide quoted text -

> >Thanks, neighbor,This is definitely a keeper.I've added this to my
> >favorites for future use.
>
> Sandy Koufax - baseball legend
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
>
> --
> Regards.
>
> Neil

I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg

Amitai

Mar 9, 2010, 3:27:15 AM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 3:14 pm, Neil <non...@noname.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:29:05 +0000 (UTC), Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Thanks, neighbor,This is definitely a keeper.I've added this to my
> > >favorites for future use.
>
> > Sandy Koufax - baseball legend
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
>
> > --
> > Regards.
>
> > Neil
>
> I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg- Hide quoted text -

And Max Baer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)

Though he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
was quite a decent person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling

Amitai

mos...@mm.huji.ac.il

Mar 9, 2010, 7:19:16 AM3/9/10
Amitai <chr...@techunix.technion.ac.il> writes:
> On Mar 9, 3:17=A0am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>> Neil <non...@noname.com> wrote:

snip

>> > Sandy Koufax - baseball legend
>>
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
>>

>> I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg- Hide quoted text -
>>
> And Max Baer.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>
> Though he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David

> on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old as I listened to the

> radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> was quite a decent person.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling

Interesting. Someone who was percieved as a Jew but wasn't, beat
someone who was percieved as a Nazi but wasn't. :-)

Amitai

Mar 9, 2010, 7:27:26 AM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 10:27 am, Amitai <chr0...@techunix.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 8, 3:14 pm, Neil <non...@noname.com> wrote:

> > > Sandy Koufax - baseball legend
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
>
> > > --
> > > Regards.
>
> > > Neil
>
> > I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg-Hide quoted text -
>
> And Max Baer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)

> Though  he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
> on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
> radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> was quite a decent person.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling

If Max Baer is not Jewish enough to make your list, here are two more
eminent boxers, both of whom are unquestionably Jewish:

Maxie Rosenbloom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxie_Rosenbloom
http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/slapsie.htm

Benny Leonard
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/bleonard.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Leonard Amitai

> Amitai

Joe Bruno

Mar 9, 2010, 8:20:45 AM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 12:27 am, Amitai <chr0...@techunix.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 8, 3:14 pm, Neil <non...@noname.com> wrote:

> > > Sandy Koufax - baseball legend
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
>
> > > --
> > > Regards.
>
> > > Neil
>
> > I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg-Hide quoted text -
>
> And Max Baer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)

> Though  he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
> on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
> radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> was quite a decent person.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling
>
> Amitai

My understanding of Jewish law indicates that there is no such thing
as "half-Jewish".

If your Mother is a Jew or you are a convert to Judaism, you are 100%
Jewish.
Nothing else matters.

Amitai

Mar 9, 2010, 9:10:34 AM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 3:20 pm, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:27 am, Amitai <chr0...@techunix.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> > > I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg-Hidequoted text -

> > And Max Baer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>
> > Though  he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> > Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
> > on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
> > radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> > technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> > personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> > was quite a decent person.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling
>
> > Amitai
>
> My understanding of Jewish law indicates that there is no such thing
> as "half-Jewish".
>
> If your Mother is a Jew or you are a convert to Judaism, you are 100%
> Jewish.
> Nothing else matters.

I mentioned that Max Baer's father was half-Jewish (citing an Internet
source) because I did not consider it worth while to try and find out
which of Max Baer's paternal grandparents was Jewish, seeing that his
mother was not.

Amitai

Yisroel Markov

Mar 9, 2010, 7:24:25 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Amitai
<chr...@techunix.technion.ac.il> said:

>On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg- Hide quoted text -
>>
>And Max Baer.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>
>Though he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
>Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
>on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
>radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
>technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
>personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
>was quite a decent person.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling

And about Jewish businessmen we say nothing?
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

sheldonlg

Mar 9, 2010, 9:28:45 PM3/9/10
Yisroel Markov wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Amitai
> <chr...@techunix.technion.ac.il> said:
>
>> On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg- Hide quoted text -
>>>
>> And Max Baer.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>>
>> Though he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
>> Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
>> on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
>> radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
>> technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
>> personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
>> was quite a decent person.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling
>
> And about Jewish businessmen we say nothing?

Levi Strauss?

Joe Bruno

Mar 9, 2010, 11:35:22 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 4:24 pm, Yisroel Markov <ey.mar...@MUNGiname.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Amitai
> <chr0...@techunix.technion.ac.il> said:
>
> >On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I had forgotten to include the athletes, Here's Hank Greenberg
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Greenberg-Hide quoted text -

> >And Max Baer.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>
> >Though  he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> >Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
> >on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
> >radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> >technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> >personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> >was quite a decent person.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling
>
> And about Jewish businessmen we say nothing?
> --

You can add anybody you wish to add.I did not intend my list to be
complete or exclusive.

Joe Bruno

Mar 9, 2010, 11:35:37 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 6:28 pm, sheldonlg <sheldo...@giganews.com> wrote:
> Yisroel Markov wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Amitai
> > <chr0...@techunix.technion.ac.il> said:
>
> >> On Mar 9, 3:17 am, Joe Bruno <joebr...@usa.com> wrote:
>
> > [snip]

> >> And Max Baer.
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Baer_(boxer)
>
> >> Though  he was not halakhically Jewish (even his father was only half
> >> Jewish), he identified himself as a Jew and wore a Magen David
> >> on his trunks. I was a thrilled eleven year old asI listened to the
> >> radio broadcast of his bout with Max Schmeling - which he won by a
> >> technical knock out. To me - as to all Jews at the time - Schmeling
> >> personified the Nazis, though, as it turned out, he was no Nazi and
> >> was quite a decent person.
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schmeling
>
> > And about Jewish businessmen we say nothing?
>
> Levi Strauss?- Hide quoted text -

He invented blue jeans?

sheldonlg

Mar 10, 2010, 8:07:26 AM3/10/10

Yup. During the gold rush of '49. That is where he made his fortune --
better than panning for gold.