Hebrew spelling of Yiddish words

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il

Oct 3, 2003, 11:02:54 AM10/3/03
In article <l8ffb.29538$_N1.1...@twister.austin.rr.com>, "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> writes:
> I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Oy ! I left out: holipshes, chrayn, lokshin, raytach, katchke,
borscht, shaav, knobble, tzibbele, shmaltz, hackfleish.

BTW I heard that Gene Kelly choked on a piece of gefilte fish
while Singing in the CHRAYN.

Josh

> --
> Julianne Frances Haugh Life is either a daring adventure
> txj...@austin.rr.com or nothing at all.
> -- Helen Keller

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 3, 2003, 11:09:54 AM10/3/03

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

> In article <l8ffb.29538$_N1.1...@twister.austin.rr.com>, "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> writes:
> > I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> > Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> > here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> > need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> > whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> > you can point me at the happier I'll be.
>

> Oy ! I left out: holipshes, chrayn, lokshin, raytach, katchke,
> borscht, shaav, knobble, tzibbele, shmaltz, hackfleish.

But Josh! How could you leave out the *quintessential* Yiddish food:
PTCHA
More effective than syrup of ipecac! And half as tasty!

A gitten Shabbess!!

-Shlomo-

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il

Oct 3, 2003, 11:21:06 AM10/3/03
In article <l8ffb.29538$_N1.1...@twister.austin.rr.com>, "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> writes:
> I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Heartburn ! :-) All of them: kreplach, kugel, eingemachtz,
kishke, grieben, kashe, varnekas, grimslick, teigeleach,
kneidlach, ptcha, knishes, tzimmes, blinztes, latkes, gefillte
fish, kichel, pickled herring, chopped liver.

Robuchon and Tro'agro may raise a snotty French eyebrow
but this is heimish cuisine.

YIDDISH: do a search on Google for "Yiddish spelling".

A BI GEZUNT !

Charles Vitez

Oct 3, 2003, 12:21:32 PM10/3/03
A little while ago there was a posting for an on-line Yiddisch English
dictionary, which I looked at and thought quite good, the URL was:
http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/

Shabbat Shalom

Charles Vitez

"Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Sheldon Ackerman

Oct 3, 2003, 1:39:01 PM10/3/03
bac...@vms.huji.ac.il wrote in news:blk32u$9tt$1...@falcon.steinthal.us:

> katchke,

You have katchkes running around your kitchen?

Ron Aaron

Oct 3, 2003, 3:58:51 PM10/3/03
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:59:09 +0000 (UTC), Julie <txj...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> So the more Yiddish food words you can point me at the happier I'll
> be.

Why Yiddish and not Hebrew?

Steve Goldfarb

Oct 3, 2003, 4:06:34 PM10/3/03
In <blk452$ane$1...@falcon.steinthal.us> bac...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

>In article <l8ffb.29538$_N1.1...@twister.austin.rr.com>, "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> writes:
>> I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
>> Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
>> here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
>> need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
>> whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
>> you can point me at the happier I'll be.

>Heartburn ! :-) All of them: kreplach, kugel, eingemachtz,
>kishke, grieben, kashe, varnekas, grimslick, teigeleach,
>kneidlach, ptcha, knishes, tzimmes, blinztes, latkes, gefillte
>fish, kichel, pickled herring, chopped liver.

In the interests of Tribal Harmony :-)

Given the nature of Julie's project, I think she's looking for words that
she can put on things like the flour cannister, the bread box, etc.
Ingredients and supplies, rather than prepared foods. E.g., words like
Flour, Sugar, Salt, etc., and maybe Breakfast Cereal, Preserves -- however
people have their kitchens and pantries organized. Yiddish words for
common foods - not necessarily words for specifically Yiddish-style foods.

Also, she wants the Hebrew spellings so that she can copy them onto the
craft works.

I did a quick Web search and didn't find anything - although I found a
listing at http://www.machers.com/directory/Yiddish/index.html that might
be promising.

Good luck,
--sg

--
---------------------------------------
Steve Goldfarb Eppur si muove

Harry Weiss

Oct 3, 2003, 6:25:09 PM10/3/03

> bac...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

> A gitten Shabbess!!

Oy Oy, Is one allowed to eat Pcha on Yom Kippur, or is it a violation of
bal tosif by adding a sixth inuy.

I hadn't been served it for many years until I visited my cousin in New
Square last year. She served an appetizer of several different fish from
their store down stairs (no they did not talk) which were out of this
world. She had an outstanding cholent, but then came the pcha, ych ych
ych.

--
Harry J. Weiss
hjw...@panix.com

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 3, 2003, 6:48:14 PM10/3/03

Harry Weiss <hjw...@panix.com> writes:

> Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson) <arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il> wrote:
>
> > bac...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

> > > Oy ! I left out: holipshes, chrayn, lokshin, raytach, katchke,
> > > borscht, shaav, knobble, tzibbele, shmaltz, hackfleish.
>
> > But Josh! How could you leave out the *quintessential* Yiddish food:
> > PTCHA
> > More effective than syrup of ipecac! And half as tasty!
>
> > A gitten Shabbess!!
>

> Oy Oy, Is one allowed to eat Pcha on Yom Kippur, or is it a violation of
> bal tosif by adding a sixth inuy.

Yeah, it's probably bal tosif. But you can eat hhamets-dik ptcha on
Pesach, since it's eino ra'ui leakhilat cockroach, let alone kelev!

:-)88!!
-Shlomo-

Chano

Oct 4, 2003, 3:32:58 PM10/4/03

"Ron Aaron" <ronaaron@mike_row_soft.com> wrote in message

Why Hebrew letters and not Chinese?

Chano

Chano

Oct 4, 2003, 6:58:49 PM10/4/03

"Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)" <arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il> wrote in
message news:tigd6de...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il...

You don't like pcha? Appostate!!

Chano

Chano

Oct 4, 2003, 7:15:43 PM10/4/03

"Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)" <arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il> wrote in
message news:tig1xtu...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il...

What is she going to call Pcha? It has several other names depending on
where you come from:
P'cha (Lithuania)
P'tza (Polish)
Galleh (Hungarian)
Gallaret (Hunary-Romania)
Galleretta (Austro-Hungary)
Regel krusha (Israel)
Fissnoggi (Russia)
Fissnoga (Russia-Ukraine)
Calves foot Jelly (Posh England)
Aspic (very posh England)

Chano

Art Werschulz

Oct 4, 2003, 10:06:47 PM10/4/03
Hi.

"Chano" <ch...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> What is she going to call Pcha?

I would call it as little as possible.

> It has several other names depending on where you come from:

I think Shlomo called it "yuk". I thought that "yuk" was the glop
in which bottled gefilte fish is packed.

Gmar tov.

--
Art Werschulz (a...@comcast.net)
207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016

Creedmoor Chronicles

Oct 4, 2003, 11:02:34 PM10/4/03

"Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)" <arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il> wrote in
message news:tig1xtu...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il...

In my dialect of Yiddish, that dish is called something completely
different. To wit: DRECK!

IS

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 5, 2003, 8:46:55 AM10/5/03

Art Werschulz <a...@comcast.net> writes:

> Hi.
>
> "Chano" <ch...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
> > What is she going to call Pcha?
>
> I would call it as little as possible.
>
> > It has several other names depending on where you come from:
>
> I think Shlomo called it "yuk". I thought that "yuk" was the glop
> in which bottled gefilte fish is packed.

Yesh nafkah minah?

> Gmar tov.

Now, while a gmar tov is admittedly better than a gmar ra, it's still
not a very nice thing to wish on one :-). Better is:

Gmar hhatimah tovah!

-Shlomo-

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 5, 2003, 8:47:37 AM10/5/03

"Creedmoor Chronicles" <serj...@yahoo.com> writes:

Mit oder on feffer?

-Shlomo-

Creedmoor Chronicles

Oct 5, 2003, 11:26:14 AM10/5/03

"Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)" <arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il> wrote in

message news:tighe2n...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il...

Mit ekonomika und zaltz!

IS

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il

Oct 5, 2003, 12:06:06 PM10/5/03

Well, since you like it so much :-)

PITCHA

1 calf's foot
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbl. vinegar
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced

Have the butcher clean the kashered calf's foot carefully. Soak in cold
water for 1 hour. Drain. Place in large pot, cover with water and cook
for 2 hours. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, lemon juice and vinegar, and
for another hour. Remove meat and cut half of it in small pieces. Strain
juice over it, add hard boiled eggs and chill. [the rest of the meat can be
served hot]

Josh

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il

Oct 5, 2003, 12:08:02 PM10/5/03

You can buy whole frozen (kashered) duck and geese here.

Josh

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 5, 2003, 1:08:02 PM10/5/03

"Creedmoor Chronicles" <serj...@yahoo.com> writes:

GEZUNDHEIT!

-Shlomo-

Art Werschulz

Oct 5, 2003, 2:57:32 PM10/5/03
Hi.

arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il (Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)) writes:

> > Gmar tov.
>
> Now, while a gmar tov is admittedly better than a gmar ra, it's still
> not a very nice thing to wish on one :-).

See what happens around here when you try to save a few keystrokes?

However you like to spell it ... G'mar chatimah tovah to all the
denizens of scjm, not to mention the rest of Am Yisrael.

Marek Kalisz

Oct 5, 2003, 3:08:35 PM10/5/03

"Marek Kalisz" <kali...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:...
> It's not a dictionary but - living media - a bi-weekly Dos Judisze Wort,
> published in Poland as a continuation of Fols Sztyme. It's published in
> both languages - Yiddish and Polish. It's web page:
> http://free.ngo.pl/wort/index_jid.html
> Yiddish version was and is in Hebrew alphabet. There you can find often
> what you're looking for. Also, I believe that there are still in Israel
> some media in Yiddish with Hebrew lettering - so many Israeli families
have
> roots in former Respublica Poloniae - until WWII the largest and strongest
> center of Jewish (Yiddish) culture.
> Marek Kalisz

> "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> > Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> > here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> > need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> > whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> > you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Marek Kalisz

Oct 5, 2003, 3:08:58 PM10/5/03
Of course, in my previous post it should be "Folks Sztyme."
Other possible helpfull sources form my quick Internet search:
The oldest Yiddish paper in the US (Yiddish/English) - Forward:
www.forward.com
Jewish Language Research Website: Yiddish:
http://www.jewish-languages.org/yiddish.html
Yiddish links page (browse - you can find Yiddish - Hebrew texts link, for
example):
http://www.yugntruf.org/yiddish.html
A few more - I guess - with some deeper search.
Cheers,

Harry Weiss

Oct 5, 2003, 3:28:06 PM10/5/03

> PITCHA

Is the recipe from the GSS guidlines for torture.

Marek Kalisz

Oct 5, 2003, 4:27:03 PM10/5/03
One more thoughts. Since this threat developed mostly around food, this
group might be helpfull too:
rec.food.cuisine.jewish. Alson, on the Web:
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj
with links to some bibliography (with links). Some of those books might
have Yiddish names of meals written in Hebrew too:
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/cookbookreviews/jewish.htm.
Bon apetite/Smacznego (Sorry, I'm not sure haw it's in Yiddish - yet).

Marek Kalisz
"Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
> Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
> here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
> need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
> whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
> you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 5, 2003, 6:15:40 PM10/5/03

Art Werschulz <a...@comcast.net> writes:

> Hi.
>
> arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il (Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)) writes:
>
> > > Gmar tov.
> >
> > Now, while a gmar tov is admittedly better than a gmar ra, it's still
> > not a very nice thing to wish on one :-).
>
> See what happens around here when you try to save a few keystrokes?

Nothing personal meant, of course! But it's common enough to be a
(not really serious) pet peeve of mine...

> However you like to spell it ... G'mar chatimah tovah to all the
> denizens of scjm, not to mention the rest of Am Yisrael.

Amen veAmen!!

-Shlomo-

Creedmoor Chronicles

Oct 6, 2003, 3:44:18 PM10/6/03
"Harry Weiss" <hjw...@panix.com> wrote in message > > >>

bac...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:
> > Well, since you like it so much :-)
>
> > PITCHA (corrected)
>
> > 1 cat's foot
> > 1 section of tire (4 inches by 4 inches)
> > 1 large lump ordure (human or canine)
> > 15 ball bearings (small)
> > Juice of 1 radish
> > 2 tbl. SanoBol, Vanish or Toilet Duck
> > 2 hard boiled canine eggs (a euphemism for beitzim shel kelev), sliced.

Stick mixture in a stainless steel bowl and microwave on Very High for 30
minutes. Alternately, if you have an electric chair handy, sit on it, turn
it on, and hold onto the bowl as tight as you can.

Close the doors so that the man in the white coat does not come to take you
away. If you serve this to children under 18, you may be in violation of
municipal, state, and federal child abuse laws. Check with the local SPCA
regarding availability of cat's foot and "hard boiled eggs."

IS

Yisroel Markov

Oct 7, 2003, 4:42:21 PM10/7/03
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 02:06:47 +0000 (UTC), Art Werschulz
<a...@comcast.net> said:

>Hi.
>
>"Chano" <ch...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> What is she going to call Pcha?
>
>I would call it as little as possible.
>
>> It has several other names depending on where you come from:
>
>I think Shlomo called it "yuk". I thought that "yuk" was the glop
>in which bottled gefilte fish is packed.

In Boston, it's called "yakhhhh". I still eat it when opportunity
presents itself. (Hey, it's mostly egg whites.) Back at the Chabad
House Shabbat dinners, I used to smear ketchup and mayo on bread and
top it off with yakhhhh, grossing out many of those present... but my
wife still agreed to marry me!

>Gmar tov.

Likewise!

Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for unbiased analysis of the world DNRC
"Judge, and be prepared to be judged" -- Ayn Rand

Jonathan J. Baker

Oct 8, 2003, 9:56:17 AM10/8/03
In <> "Julie" <txj...@austin.rr.com> writes:

>I'm trying to locate a source for Yiddish words written with
>Hebrew letters. As the weather begins to turn more fall-like
>here, I'm trying to plan winter crafts and one of the things I
>need to make are various cloth dividers and covers and
>whatnot in my kitchen. So the more Yiddish food words
>you can point me at the happier I'll be.

Get a Yiddish dictionary, like Weinreich or something. Yiddish
is written in Hebrew characters normally. Call up one of the
big Jewish bookstores, like 1-800-JUDAISM (Pinsker's, in Pgh.),
or 1-888-EICHLERs (in Brooklyn) and ask for what you want.
Actually, you can get Weinreich's dictionary at Amazon for $21
discounted.

--
Jonathan Baker | Ksivechsimetoiveh!
jjb...@panix.com | (It's a contraction, like Shkoiech, or Brshmo)

mos...@mm.huji.ac.il

Oct 20, 2003, 12:05:48 PM10/20/03
arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il (Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)) writes:
> Art Werschulz <a...@comcast.net> writes:

>> > Now, while a gmar tov is admittedly better than a gmar ra, it's
>> > still not a very nice thing to wish on one :-).
>>
>> See what happens around here when you try to save a few keystrokes?
>
> Nothing personal meant, of course! But it's common enough to be a
> (not really serious) pet peeve of mine...

If it's so common, perhaps you shouldn't let it be a pet peeve of
yours. (This advice is being to myself as well! There are many
"common" things that bug me :-( )

Moshe Schorr
It is a tremendous Mitzvah to always be happy! - Reb Nachman of Breslov
May Eliyahu Chayim ben Sarah Henna (Eliot Shimoff) have a refuah Shlaima.

Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)

Oct 20, 2003, 1:37:38 PM10/20/03

mos...@mm.huji.ac.il writes:

> arg...@sunlight.cs.biu.ac.il (Dr. Shlomo Argamon (Engelson)) writes:
> > Art Werschulz <a...@comcast.net> writes:

> >> See what happens around here when you try to save a few keystrokes?
> >
> > Nothing personal meant, of course! But it's common enough to be a
> > (not really serious) pet peeve of mine...
>
> If it's so common, perhaps you shouldn't let it be a pet peeve of
> yours. (This advice is being to myself as well! There are many
> "common" things that bug me :-( )

Yes, I know, I know.... But negotiating the territory between
idealism, cynicism, and curmudgeonry is rather tricky, you know... and
evidently a big part of my work for the coming year...

-Shlomo-