[Revival] Kottayam Oh Kottayam

Nostalgic ACKer

Mar 3, 2002, 6:17:50 PM3/3/02
Here's another post revived-- from '97, on Kottayam.
Following up on this one, Harry Anchan wrote (and I quote):

: Thank you, thank you, thank you for one of the most evocative
: articles I have ever read on the Net. Thanks for the wonderful
: memories. I did not live in Kottayam, but I share those
: wonderful, bittersweet memories with you. I am sure everyone who
: lived in kerala, regardless of where, would certainly have
: similar memories.

I hope you 'll enjoy it too.

Btw, the links given in the article don't work any more (I think).
The author's homepage is at http://go.to/ve3ogz.com (and has more
of his articles).

sasneham,
na.

Mar 5, 2002, 5:32:45 PM3/5/02
nostalg...@yahoo.com (Nostalgic ACKer) wrote in message news:<4f8450de.02030...@posting.google.com>...
Kottayam, credle (of) civilization? Now, that may be taking the
things a bit too far.

> : D.C. Kizakkemuri, writing in Malayala Manorama remembers
> : Kottayam as a small town which did not have even a two story
> : building at one time. Cars were infrequently seen on the roads.
> : bullock carts and bicycles were plentiful . The only public
> : meeting place was a wood-floor hall at the Kottayam public
> : library which could accommodate about 50 people.

That description may apply to most of Kerala of that time.

> : As a primary school student I remember 'Thirunakkara Maithanam'
> : and a public well on the South- east corner of it. It was one of
> : the deepest wells I have ever seen. I used to watch people fetch
> : water using the bucket and pulley technique. There was a mobil
> : petrol station and private bus stand close by. I remember the
> : open body ' carbon gas' ? (kari gas) powered buses which had
> : such boards as KOTTAYAM- MALLAPPALI , KOTTAYAM- RANNI and so on.
> : I even remember some of the drivers -Pillaachan, Philip chettan
> : and so on.
> :
> : Talking about meeting places to day, Kottayam has an abundance
> : of them. Among them are K.P.S. Menon auditorium on Public
> : library grounds, Darshana auditorium, Shri Rangam, Yuhanon
> : Marthoma hall, Trade center, Mattithra hall, Padinjarekkara
> : auditorium, Y.M.C.A.,Jawahar BalaBhavan, Kottarathil Shankunni
> : memorial hall, and Sumangali at Kodimatha.

Somehow KPS Menon did not like Kottayam very much and chose to live at
Ottapalam after retirement.

Who was that king who succeeded Ayillyam thirunal? Was it Visakham
thirunal?
Excuse my ignorance?

> : Kottayam was just a village at that time. At the top of
> : Thirunakkara hill a parade ground took shape. To day it is the
> : well-known Thirunakkara Maidanam. Rama Rao's other contributions
> : included construction of a canal to Aleppy (Puthan thodu ),
> : giving importance to K.K.road and Kottayam Ettumannur road, and
> : establishment of the Kottayam public library. Rama Rao also
> : started the famous Thazathangadi Vallamkali (boat race
> : ).Agricultural exhibitions and the establishment of a jilla
> : hospital were also his accomplishments.
> :
> : Benchamin Bailey who established a printing press is credited
> : with the publication of a translation of the Bible and
> : English-Malayalam and Malayalam-English dictionaries. He is also
> : credited with the first printed newspaper -njananishepam.

Somehow the name Benchamin Bailey rings a bell, but I didn't know
what his contribution was. Thanks for the info.

I am interested to know more about this CMS college. I heard that it
was the first college in the kingdom of Tranvancore, and may be in the
entire kerala.

Nostalgic ACKer

Mar 7, 2002, 2:44:21 PM3/7/02
kku...@hotmail.com (K.Kunju) wrote in message
> > : and the great wall

> > : Kottayam beyond which were the gates to C.M.S.College.
>
> I am interested to know more about this CMS college. I heard that it
> was the first college in the kingdom of Tranvancore, and may be in the
> entire kerala.

http://www.expage.com/cmsb

hth,
na