Double Agent Deported

Justice4Cyprus

Feb 19, 2001, 2:08:39 PM2/19/01
19-02-01 -- Double Agent Deported

A German national was deported from the island last week on suspicion that
he was a double agent after offering to spy in the Turkish-occupied north
for the Cyprus government.

Alexander Gronbach, 36, who claimed he had been a colonel in the German
army, is said to have walked in to the Ministry of Defence in Nicosia and
asked to be put on the payroll as a spy.

"We placed him under surveillance and found out later that he'd approached
the Turks with the same offer", an army spokesman said.

Gronbach's three months stay on the island came to an abrupt halt when he
was arrested and immediately deported back to Germany after he came back
from a visit to the occupied areas.

"It's not the first time foreigners have offered to spy for us for money to
cover the cost of their vacation on the island," the army spokesman said.

News provided by www.news-world.org
Justice4Cyprus.com
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King
http://www.justice4cyprus.f2s.com (Europe)
http://www.justice4cyprus.com (USA)

The Dimensions of the Cyprus Problem:

The 200,000 Greek Cypriot refugees created as a result of the Turkish
invasion in 1974 would correspond to:
-120.000.000 in the ex USSR
-110.000.000 in the US
-32.000.000 in the F.R. of Germany
-22.000.000 in Britain
-21.000.000 in France

marios

Feb 19, 2001, 5:50:43 PM2/19/01

Justice4Cyprus <ad...@justice4cyprus.f2s.com> wrote

> 19-02-01 -- Double Agent Deported
>
> A German national was deported from the island last week on suspicion that
> he was a double agent after offering to spy in the Turkish-occupied north
> for the Cyprus government.
>
> Alexander Gronbach, 36, who claimed he had been a colonel in the German
> army, is said to have walked in to the Ministry of Defence in Nicosia and
> asked to be put on the payroll as a spy.

Spies from Turkey, USA, Britain, Germany, Australia
are bound to be active in the part of Cyprus occupied by the
Turkish army. These countries have all got 'consulates' in the
occupied areas. The US has got an air base and
NSA [Echelon] radar station(s) there, whereas the Brits
have got Echelon stations in their base areas and one
in the Troodos mountains. Even the BB[big brother]C
World Service transmitter has been accused of jamming
the Cypriot National Guard's communications(!)

Russia has long accused Turkey of having camps
for training mercenaries for the conflict in Chechnya,
and has caught Turkish mercenaries in Chechnya.
There's bound to be such camps in the occupied areas
as well. [The above countries must know what's going on :-)]
Last year, RIK television news reported that a
Chechen rebel leader had actually set up a base in the
occupied areas, near the Green Line. Could it be possible
that the covert ops of Western countries [Turkey's allies]
are being planned in the occupied areas?

US and British intelligence have been planning covert ops
in Cyprus from as early on as the early 1950s. E.g. the initial
plan for the 1953 coup in Iran was drawn up in Cyprus. [ See:
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/apr2000/iran-a19.shtml ]

A close relative of mine (disguised as a painter) used to
observe the activities of US [military?] intelligence operatives
during the EOKA years. They were very easy to spot - they all
had the same hairstyles and shorts(!), and they weren't exactly
being very discreet. But they were seen leaving and entering the
Turkish information/press office in Nicosia's Turkish neighbourhood.

Of course, the UK and US electronic intelligence/
radio broadcasting/monitoring facilities have been
present on Cyprus from as early on as 1949.
(Reported by the 'New York Times' on May 17 of that year.)

marios

Feb 19, 2001, 9:10:44 PM2/19/01

marios <mar...@paliospito.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> US and British intelligence have been planning covert ops
> in Cyprus from as early on as the early 1950s. E.g. the initial
> plan for the 1953 coup in Iran was drawn up in Cyprus. [ See:
> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/apr2000/iran-a19.shtml ]

See also:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB28/index.html

marios

Feb 19, 2001, 9:25:33 PM2/19/01

marios <mar...@paliospito.fsnet.co.uk> wrote

The initial operation plan [cabled from Nicosia]
can be found here:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB28/02-01.htm