Why do people think the french stink?

Jack Wilson

Oct 27, 2002, 4:12:58 PM10/27/02
I found this article in the Salt Lake City Weekly. Now if the mormons
think that you smell there must be some truth to this accusation. Why
do the french refuse to bathe? Here is a part of the article that
talked about the french hygene problem.

Snider wrote that he had thrice in one London visit encountered a
woman he referred to (four times) as “Stinky Fat Black French
Girl,” who smelled so bad he expected to turn and find “a
flaming bag of dog excrement.”

Explaining his choice of words, Snider told City Weekly that
“stinky” is self-explanatory, “fat” is ditto;
“black” is what she was, and “girl”—well
even though she was in her 20s, “‘girl’ is what I
and the rest of American society call females of that age. If there is
a problem with ‘girl,’ blame American society, not
me.”

As for “French,” well, Snider said, maybe it is an old
joke that French people smell bad, and he used public familiarity with
that joke to tell a “true story.”

Reading Snider, my memory got a whiff of another version of the same
stale gag. I recalled that City Weekly film critic Greg Beacham, in
reviewing the French flick Dream Life of Angels, once wrote,
“Sullenness in French women is the second reason not to date
them; the first is the smell.”

gmoreau

Oct 27, 2002, 10:37:31 PM10/27/02
ytre...@hotmail.com (Jack Wilson) écrivait:

>I found this article in the Salt Lake City Weekly.

(snip French and specially French Women stink)

Well who is using deodorant ? If you use deodorant, it means you stink
and you try to cover it up no ? Otherwise you wouldn't use deodorant !
So who really stinks ?
I think that Americans don't like the smell of the sweat of the girls,
because most of them cannot make the girls sweat.
They have this obsession of dryness and are afraid of everything wet,
specially for the girls. Now they should wonder why their own
daughters and sisters are often dreaming about getting touched and
moved by "romantic" French dudes... because them, they are not afraid
of things wet, smelly and salty like an excited woman. Sorry to let
you know, but a climaxing woman does not smell lavender and is not
clean and dry like an operation room.
USians should wonder where this reputation of being romantic comes
from and why it is perpetuated while there is no ground for such a
trait; basic consideration is not romance and it is very revealling of
USians' attitude toward their own females that these females had come
to consider that basic consideration means romantic !

As for the men, the sweat and the smell of the body must be contained
in the locker room. Because like the good puritans that they are,
Americans tend to demonize the body, so they need to contain the body,
to master it, to dominate it and not to let the body expresses itself.
I don't even mention that most women like the natural smell of their
men. Hence this containment policy of the body and as a consequence,
everything related to the body is seen as a tool of domination of the
body. That's why the food is seen as a bad but indispensible thing
that people should be defiant of. For them, the body is nothing but an
disgusting amount of flesh that needs to be fueled by dangerous
chemical material (wathc out the cholesterol, the sugar, the fat,
etc.)

Sorry but seeing food as nothing but the molecules in it (vitamins,
carbs and all that chemistry) is sad. And seeing the body as something
smelly that needs to be covered by some artificial smells reminds me
of the burqa (that cool Afghan cloth that covers women from top to
toe).

Gaëtan
------
Bien est donc vrai qu'aux hommes misérables,
Aveugles, imprudents, inquiets, variables,
Pas n'appartient de faire des souhaits,
Et que peu d'entre eux sont capables
De bien user des dons que le Ciel leur a faits.

Henri

Oct 28, 2002, 12:50:52 AM10/28/02

"gmoreau" <theknight...@python.com> wrote in message

So full of truth, so poetic, I almost cried reading. These are words which
should be etched in stone. It encompasses the whole Anglosaxon thing,
highlighting in particular their radical dislike for whatever is natural.
It explains, to me at least, why USA women (in real life, not movies) never
show their legs, wearing nothing but long trousers :-)

Bravo Grumeau! Bravo.

> Gaėtan

Spindrift

Oct 28, 2002, 1:37:49 AM10/28/02

Oh yes Gaetan - cést tres vrais (sorry no accents on my keyboard, or I
am too lazy to look them up!)

And if you walk behind these trouser-clad women you will see that the
vast majority look as it they have just got up from sitting in
something nasty! Why they wear trousers that fit into their thighs
is beyond me - there are so many bow-legged females I lost count!

>> Gaëtan

>> ------
>> Bien est donc vrai qu'aux hommes misérables,
>> Aveugles, imprudents, inquiets, variables,
>> Pas n'appartient de faire des souhaits,
>> Et que peu d'entre eux sont capables
>> De bien user des dons que le Ciel leur a faits.

Spindrift

Kafou Lobo

Oct 28, 2002, 7:19:04 AM10/28/02
ytre...@hotmail.com (Jack Wilson) wrote in message news:<361ec48.02102...@posting.google.com>...

> I found this article in the Salt Lake City Weekly. Now if the mormons
> think that you smell there must be some truth to this accusation. Why
> do the french refuse to bathe? Here is a part of the article that
> talked about the french hygene problem.

What an idiot!

Kafou

Michael Dix

Oct 28, 2002, 1:33:17 PM10/28/02
gmoreau wrote:

> ytre...@hotmail.com (Jack Wilson) écrivait:
>
> >I found this article in the Salt Lake City Weekly.
>
> (snip French and specially French Women stink)
>
> Well who is using deodorant ? If you use deodorant, it means you stink
> and you try to cover it up no ? Otherwise you wouldn't use deodorant !
> So who really stinks ?
> I think that Americans don't like the smell of the sweat of the girls,
> because most of them cannot make the girls sweat.
> They have this obsession of dryness and are afraid of everything wet,
> specially for the girls. Now they should wonder why their own
> daughters and sisters are often dreaming about getting touched and
> moved by "romantic" French dudes... because them, they are not afraid
> of things wet, smelly and salty like an excited woman. Sorry to let
> you know, but a climaxing woman does not smell lavender and is not
> clean and dry like an operation room.

Just a couple of observations:

France is the world center of perfumery, as it is of couture (I hope
no Italians read this.) Obviously women's smelling nice is a priority
in France. I have never noticed how people smell in France (summer in
Paris, on the Metro, etc.) OTOH, riding public transport in the US,
you could well end up sitting near someone who has not bathed in a
long time.

Speaking as one American, I have no problem with the smell of sweat
from a day's toil. In my youth, I worked laboring jobs, and my
co-workers and I (black, white, and Mexican) definitely worked up
a sweat.

Certainly the female smells mentioned by gmoreau are to be cherished.

Now, I have come across two people, both women, who smelled rank -
a piercing smell, the olfactory equivalent of a shriek. One was
a shop assistant at a bookstore in Dublin; the other, a maid
cleaning rooms at a hotel in Mestre, Italy. So I'm not saying that
it's not possible. I'm saying that it's extremely rare. AFAIK,
it could even be a medical condition.

--
mj...@sonic.net

waggg

Oct 29, 2002, 7:37:27 PM10/29/02
On 27 Oct 2002 13:12:58 -0800, ytre...@hotmail.com (Jack Wilson)
,wrote:

>I found this article in the Salt Lake City Weekly. Now if the mormons
>think that you smell there must be some truth to this accusation. Why
>do the french refuse to bathe? Here is a part of the article that
>talked about the french hygene problem.

poor "fancy-dan" ... ytrew (q) 0987 (654321 ...) ...
what a vivid imagination ! ... LOL

always trying to exist ... you're noone and you will be a
"what's-his-name" loser you're whole life ...

there were nothing in the telly ?
Is Seattle really so boring ?

HABD :-)