the original people of mindanao

Renowl

Aug 21, 2004, 10:24:20 AM8/21/04
Ethno-Linguisitic Grouping in Mindanao

Image from Traveler's Companion: Philippines
Five Major Groups in Mindano
(Muslim or Moros)

Tausug
Maranao
Maguindanao
Samal
Badjao
Other ethinic groups:

Yakan
Tiruray
T'Boli
Bagobo
Subanon
Bukidnon
Manobo

Tausug

Tausug (people of the current) were the fisrt tribe in the archipelago to be
converted to Islam. They are historically, the ruling people of the ancient
Sultanate of Jolo, and regard themselves supeiror to other Philippine
Muslims. They generally live a combative, "very mascular" life, where violence
is often an expression of the social process. They are traders, fishermen and
artisans of fine Muslim textiles and metal works.

Tausug Wisdom - To the Tausug, a proverb is masaalla, a word of Arabic origin.
Some are pittuwa, or advice about life. Proverbs are part of daman or symbolic
speech, which includes riddles and courtship dialogue.

Some proverbs follow:

Tausug: In lasa iban uba di hikatapuk.
Tagalog: Ang pag-ibig at ubo ay hindi maitatago.
English: Love and a cough cannot be hidden.

Tausug: In ulang natutuy mada sin sug.
Tagalog: Ang natutulog na alimango ay matatangay ng agaos.
English: A sleeping crab will be carried by the current.

Tausug: Wayruun asu bang way kayu.
Tagalog: Kung walang usok, wala ring apoy.
English: There is no smoke where there is no fire.

Tausug: Atay nagduruwaruwa wayruun kasungan niya.
Tagalog: Kung ang isa ay hindi makapag disisyon, siya ay walang kinabukasan.
English: One who cannot decide will have no future.

Tausug: Ayaw mangaku daug salugay buhi.
Tagalog: (1) Huwag aaminin ang pagkatalo haggang ikaw ay nabubuhay. or (2)
Hanggang maybuhay, may pag asa.
English: Never admit defeat as long as you live.

Sources: Insight Guides: Philippines and Filway's Philippine Almanac Centennial
Edition

back to top

Maranao

Maranao are the graceful "people of the lake", living on the northern edge of
Lake Lanao. They are Mindanao's last group to be converted to Islam.

Maranao Art
Okir or okkil refers to the ranfe of folk motifs, usually of plants and
geometric forms, that are prominent in Maranao art work.

The oldest proof of okir's flowering is the torogan, the ancestral home of the
highest titleholder in a Maranao village. The torongan is a symbol of rank abd
prestige and is reserved for important celebrations and political events. It
stands out architecturally in the community because if its panolong - a carved
beam that protrudes in the front of the house and is adorned with okir motif.

Aside from plan and vegetable forms, the panalong has come to be dominated by
the nafa or sepent motif. The malong, woven Maranao cloth, also bears various
okir designs.In fact, the geometric and plant designs on the vertical strips of
the malong indicate the wearer's village of origin. Brass and metal works, from
the fuctional betel-nut boxes to musical instruments, always carry these
designs as well. A more distinctive variation is the sarimanok, a chickenlike
figure that carries a fish in its beak.

Sources:
Insight Guides: Philippines and
Filway's Philippine Almanac Centennial Edition

Images from Traveler's Companion: Philippines

back to top

Maguindanao

Maguindanao are the "people of the flood plain," inhibiting an unappealing area
of Cotabato Province, where land is periodically flooded by overflowing rivers.
They are the largest grounp of Muslim. They are a hardy clan, surviving on
agriculture, fishing and weaving fine mats and baskets.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

back to top

Samal

The Samal are the poorest and least independent of the major Muslim groups.
They serve as the "loyal commoners" in the hierarchy of Muslim minorities.
Their lives are literally over the sea, where the villages stand on stilts
above the coastal waters.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

Image from Traveler's Companion: Philippines

back to top

Badjao

Badjao are the "sea gypsies," the true wanderers of the Sulu seas. They are
born on the water, live upon their tiny crafts for a lifetime - turning tawny
and blonde in the sun and salt - and set foot on the land only to die. The
Badjao are a superficially Islam tribe numbering some 20,000.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

back to top

Yakan

Yakan is another unique cultural group of Sulu living on Basilan Island south
of Zamboanga. They are gentle people of partial Polynesian origin, with mixed
Muslim and animalist beliefs. They are the most superb textile weavers of the
southern archipelago. On backstrap looms they turn fine cotton and silks into
remarkable geometric work of art.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

Images from Insight Guides: Philippines (1) and Traveler's Companion:
Philippines (2 and 3)

back to top

Tiruray

The Tiruray are of Malay stock. They are a hores-riding hill people occupying
the mountains of southwest Mindanao.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

Images from
http://isis.csuhayward.edu/cesmith/virtmus/Philippines/Crafts/Tiruray_bask
etry.htm

back to top

T'Boli

T'Boli tribe of Lake Sebu in Cotabato have a wealth of crafts, elaborate ethnic
costumes, and vivaciousdances and music. They are also admired for their
handsome brasswork, which finds its way into figure statuary, heavy belts,
chains and noisy anklets by much-beaded and broidery-bedecked tribal women.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

Images from Traveler's Companion: Philippines

T'Boli Orthodontics

For T'Boli, pearly white teeth make humans no better than animals. To enhance
their appearance. T'Boli women grind and blacken their teeth. Men do the same
to gain power over animals. This practice is called tamblang. it consist of two
steps. First, the nihik, when the theeth are filed into regular shapes. Then,
the silob or olit, when the teeth are blackened with the sap of a tree.
Sometimes, women cover their teeth with gold as a sign of affluence. Only datus
and their kin can have gold teeth. T'Bolis claim this custom comes from the
Muslims.

Source: Filway's Philippine Almanac Centennial Edition

back to top

Bagobo

The heavily ornamented Bagobo live along the desolate eastern coast of the Gulf
of Davao. In imitating the metal art works of the Moros (Muslim Warriors), the
tribe has produced an ornate tradition in weaponry, and inlaid, bell-jangled
metal boxes. The Bagobo also weave abaca cloths of ruddy earth tones, and weave
baskets.

Source: Insight Guides: Philppines

Image from
http://isis.csuhayward.edu/cesmith/virtmus/Philippines/Crafts/Bagobo_baske
try.htm

back to top

Subanon

The Subanon of western Lanao originated one of the country's highest tradition
of pottery. The 50,000 Bukidnon of east Lanao are a tribe of fiercely
independent highland dwellers.

Source: Insight Guides: Philippines

Image from http://www.bethany.com/profiles/p_code4/883.html

back to top

Bukidnon

The 50,000 Bukidnon of East Lanao are a tribe of fiercely independent highland
dwellers.

Source image and text: Insight Guides: Philippines

back to top

Manobo

"Manobo" is the hispanicized form of "Manuvu," which, of course, means
"people." The Manobo appear to be a remnant of the very first Austronesian
invasion from Taiwan, predating peoples like the Ifugao of Luzon. The general
orientation is now predominantly upland, as they were chased from the valleys
by invading Visayans and Spaniards. But the Manobo have an adaptation to
virtually every ecological niche, from rugged highland to coast, and are found
from Sarangani Island to Agusan del Sur, the Davao provinces, Bukidnon, and
North and South Cotabato. The distinctive ethnic costumes have mostly given way
to commercial clothing, with ethnic materials being sold commercially as
antiques.

Source:
http://isis.csuhayward.edu/cesmith/virtmus/Philippines/Peoples/Manobo.htm

Images from
http://www.mindanao.com/kalinaw/people/lumad.htm

back to top

Dalubwika

Aug 21, 2004, 4:02:12 PM8/21/04
Renowl wrote:

>Tausug (people of the current) were the fisrt tribe in the archipelago to be
>converted to Islam. They are historically, the ruling people of the ancient
>Sultanate of Jolo, and regard themselves supeiror to other Philippine
>Muslims. They generally live a combative, "very mascular" life, where
>violence
>is often an expression of the social process. They are traders, fishermen and
>artisans of fine Muslim textiles and metal works.

Tausugs are originally Visayans from northeastern Mindanao. Their closest
relatives are the Butuanons. They left in the 11th century due to trading
with the Chinese.

I was warned by a Belgian anthropologist who studied Tausug not to say that to
some of the natives. Many Tausugs believe some legend about being from the
madjapahits or what not. And they don't consider themselves Bisaya. To them,
Bisaya means Christian.

--Chris

Renowl

Aug 21, 2004, 10:43:39 PM8/21/04
where did that tausug came from the visaya came from ?

tansong tumbaga

Aug 22, 2004, 3:37:36 AM8/22/04
Dalubwika wrote:

That is why some of my relatives have that Bisaya accent, very interesting.

Dalubwika

Aug 22, 2004, 6:34:17 AM8/22/04
Renowl wrote:

>where did that tausug came from the visaya came from ?

The area where Butuan City is now. In the province of Agusan del Norte.
Butuanon is related to Tausug language. And they're both related to
Surigaonon. They all have similarites which make them appear closer to Cebuano
than what Ethnologue says; Ethnologue puts Cebuano in its own subfamily (there
are five main Visayan subfamilies). Butuanon, Suriganon, and Tausug are
considered South Visayan languages.

Anyway, here is the section about Tausug's relationship to Butuanon in my
Tausug book:

1.1. The Butuanon Connection

Along with the Butuanon language of northeastern Mindanao, Tausug is
classified as part of a small subgroup within the South Bisayan family called
Butuan-Tausug. Surigaonon is also a South Bisayan language, but is not
classified with Butuan-Tausug.

The relationship between Butuanon and Tausug is bizarre since the Butuanon
homeland is in northeastern Mindanao while the Tausugs are southwest of
Mindanao. Some historians have proposed, with plausible evidence, that in the
eleventh century inhabitants of Butuan migrated to what is now Jolo. It should
also be noted that according to Chinese chronicles, trade between China and
Butuan (via Mindoro) during this time shifted to Jolo, which was a major port
on the Moluccan spice route. According to the late William Henry Scott, "as
late as 1600, the sultan of Sulu, Batara Shah Tengah, appears to have been an
actual native of Butuan."

In any case, while Butuanon and Tausug are similar, the former has traces of
Cebuano influence and the latter has influence from Samal and Bajaw. Below are
some sample sentences comparing Butuanon and Tausug.

Butuanon: Mobasa ba kaw?
Tausug: Nagbabassa ka kaw?
English: Are you reading?

Butuanon: Di aku makabaya sani.
Tausug: Di' aku mabaya' ha ini.
English: I don't like this.

Butuanon: Ngan bay pagasiabon mo gaya?
Tausug: Unu in kaunun mu gana-gana?
English: What will you eat later?

Butuanon: Kun'o kaw makaabot?
Tausug: Ku'nu kaw dumatung?
English: When will you arrive?

Butuanon: Pakain kaw?
Tausug: Pakain kaw?
English: Where will you go?

Butuanon: Gituna ko ang manok.
Tausug: Liyulutu' ku in manuk.
English: I am cooking the chicken.

Butuanon: Madyaw nga daga.
Tausug: Marayaw budjang (or daga).
English: Nice maiden.

Butuanon: Bil-an ko siya hong masiab.
Tausug: Bihan ku siya pagkaun.
English: I will buy him food.

Butuanon: Sin-oy giasubo mo?
Tausug: Hisiyu in iyasubu mu?
English: Whom did you ask?

Renowl

Aug 22, 2004, 7:03:24 AM8/22/04
maybe the reason why muslims have lingual connections to the bukidnons can be
explained in my hometowns legend.

see; url: http://www.cagayandeoro.org/his.html
source:
my hometowns website

legend of cagayan [ de oro ]
The first inhabitants of Cagayan, many, many years ago, lived in a village on
the bank of Taguanao River, eight kilometers south from Cagayan. This was a
part of the Bukidnon territory, and later on, they moved on the bank of
Kalambagohan River, where Cagayan now stands, and called their settlement
Kalambagohan because of the luxuriant growth of "lambago trees." For sometime,
the natives lived in the prosperity until the end of the sixteenth century when
the Maguindanaos, a rival tribe from Lanao raided and captured the place. The
bukidnons after a fight were forced to retreat to the hills.

The aborigines of Kalambagohan were Bukidnons. The horde of barbarous Moros
from Maguindanao under Raja Moda Samporna (The Unopposed) demanded the
surrender of the villagers who retreated to the hills. The Kalambagohan datu
sent his beautiful daughter, guarded by his bravest warriors, to meet the Rajah
and to make a conditional surrender: 'None in the village should be carried
across the countryside was more than confirmed now, and accepted the term of
surrender. Her beauty alone was enough to captivate, but her charms wrought
destruction to the Rajah, so the stronger leader of Maguindanao warriors began
to waver. It was a long story but it ended with the Maguindanao datu thrusting
his spear into the stairs of the datu's house which action in those days was
symbolic of a man's proposal for marriage.

The datu and daughter readily accepted the proposal and thus ended the
whirlwind romance. The Maguindanao warrior who started from his camp to
subjugate the recapture the rival camp became its prisoner of love. The news of
the marriage was received with grief and resentment by the subjects of the
captivated Rajah. Rajah Moda Samporna made his warriors build a strong cotta
around the village. So, instead of the Moros conquering the Bukidnons, they
were the ones captured. The Moro warriors felt so ashamed of the defeat that
they never referred to the place as Kalambagohan anymore. Instead, they changed
the name "Caayahan" (the Moro word for shame) or Cagayhaan (the Bukidnon word
for shame). When the Spaniards came they mispronounced the name of the village,
hence, they gradually changed it to Cagayan. Years later, rich gold deposits in
sitio Munigi and Pigtaw and in the sand bed of the river were a common
discovery so the name Cagayan de Oro came into existence.

Renowl

Aug 22, 2004, 7:05:23 AM8/22/04
example of old memories die hard in mindanao .