[Beijing's message to Carrie Lam?] Carrie Lam can defuse the Hong Kong protests by taking on the property tycoons

ltlee1

Aug 18, 2019, 10:46:50 AM8/18/19
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3023162/carrie-lam-can-defuse-hong-kong-protests-taking-property-tycoons

"First and foremost, Lam, with the support of Beijing, must break the stranglehold of local property tycoons on the real estate market and curb their political influence by greatly increasing land supply for development and providing more affordable housing for low-income families.

Hong Kong may pride itself as one of the freest economies in the world but, in fact, the property tycoons are calling the shots on the economy.
Since 1997, the outsize influence of a number of prominent tycoons – particularly those with close links to leaders in Beijing – has enabled them to manipulate and steer Hong Kong’s housing policies in their favour as the limited land supply helped drive up property prices.

Over the past few years, however, the political dynamics in Beijing have shifted and their links with the Chinese leaders are no longer as cosy as before.

In the two months since the anti-government protests started in June, Chinese officials have reportedly expressed dismay over some property tycoons’ reluctance to support Lam’s government and Hong Kong police. Only in recent days have some property companies started to publicly voice support for the government and police after pressure from Beijing.

For a start, the government could take back the 1,300 hectares of brownfield sites currently occupied by operators of open-air storage facilities, warehouses and car parks. Those operators may make economic contributions but their contributions pale into insignificance in comparison to the much greater need for housing. The government could apply eminent domain if necessary.

To speed up construction and reduce costs, the government should consider introducing factory-built modular homes into Hong Kong. With the latest advances in technology, modular construction – which is popular in Germany, Demark and Sweden – has proved to be safe, high quality, environmentally friendly and cost efficient."

"Wang Xiangwei is the former editor-in-chief of the South China Morning Post. He is now based in Beijing as editorial adviser to the paper"

ltlee1

Aug 20, 2019, 8:50:55 PM8/20/19
If Carrie Lam is to fight the property tycoon, the protesters have just created an opening for her to negotiate with them in a position of strength. Either the property tycoons play ball and cooperate in building hundreds of thousands affordable housing units in the next few years or the protest would continue and Hong Kong's economy until it eventually falls. The choice is between short pain or long pain.

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Aug 20, 2019, 9:08:45 PM8/20/19
The property tycoon class was created by the British colonial masters. Hongkies' major frustration is their inability to purshase housing.

But notice the protesters don't make housing the issue. They make the CIA's script (extradition law, then freedom and democracy) the issue. If anyone needs one more evidence of the US black hand in the HK insurrection, it is the protesters rioting over an issue that was (yes, was) not the Hongkies' real frustration in life.

With the current insurrection, it is not possible for Carrie Lam to solve even minor problems, let alone take on the property tycoons.

By the way, the best way to take on the property tycoons is for HK to rely on the very abundant land in China. But I suppose the CIA will instruct the fools protesting not to agree to this.

Wakalukong

Jesus Christ is a lying JEW BASTARD

Aug 20, 2019, 10:50:02 PM8/20/19
The best thing CAARY LAM can do
is to allow CHINESE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS from inside CHINA to
enter HONG KONG to build high rise housing more heaply...

China has a good supply of good quality construction workers ...

Jesus Christ is a lying JEW BASTARD

Aug 20, 2019, 10:54:24 PM8/20/19
Big LANTAU ISLAND has airport ...

South of airport has all vast land

Lantau island is bigger than Hong Kong island by 5 time ...

So Lantau island can have lots of cheap housing projects

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Aug 20, 2019, 11:01:39 PM8/20/19
I think the protesters prefer HK to sail across the Pacific Ocean and anchor itself off California, and let the US government fund public housing projects on the island.

Wakalukong

tom

Sep 6, 2019, 1:23:58 PM9/6/19

She indeed has to break the stranglehold of local property tycoons who are
indeed calling the shots on the economy. Seriously all land ownerships
should be handed to the government.

"ltlee1" wrote in message

Jesus Christ is a lying JEW BASTARD

Sep 6, 2019, 3:47:26 PM9/6/19
She needs to fuck to get rid of her frustration

ltlee1

Sep 6, 2019, 5:47:10 PM9/6/19
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, tom wrote:
> She indeed has to break the stranglehold of local property tycoons who are
> indeed calling the shots on the economy. Seriously all land ownerships
> should be handed to the government.

She certainly needs to break the stranglehold of local property tycoons.
However, she is still not in the campaign mode pressing the flesh, shaking hands and hugging babies. So far, she only talked to reporters.

She and all high ranking officials should go into the people. Schools, restaurants, traditional marketplace and supermarkets, big and small companies. Apologize if people demand apologies. Knee before the people if they demand that. Turn the other cheek if necessary. Given the damage done to Hong Kong, nothing is too much while under her watch.

But of course, rebut so called "5 (now 4) great demands) before they are illegal and/or unreasonable.

Get at least some people behind her and she could easily break the hold of the real estate tycoons. Else they would just temporize and wait for the next Chief Executive.

Jesus Christ is a lying JEW BASTARD

Sep 6, 2019, 6:53:30 PM9/6/19
Hong Kong is free port all depends on CASH CASH CASH .....

CARRIE LAM cannot break land bank mafia ....

Land were legally purchased by companies with CASH PAYMENT TRANSACTIONS ......

SO CARRIE LAM cannot break land developers OLIGARCHY

Jesus Christ is a WHITE RACE monopoly Power

Sep 6, 2019, 7:06:13 PM9/6/19
itlee 1 ... where are you from ?
have you been living in CENTRAL REPUBLUC of CONGO ?

YOU know Shit about HONG KONG and land owners in HONG KONG ....

BEFORE you post anything about land and property developers in HONG KONG....
LOOK into laws of HONG KONG concerning land and rea estates ...
you little piece of Shit ....

HONG KONG has laws and order to protect
land and properties .... capitalist laws
of property ownership and property rights ...

HONG KONG is not based on COMMUNIST LAND
LAWS .... you piece of SHIT

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Sep 6, 2019, 8:16:31 PM9/6/19
Take on the property tycoons? There are three major problems in doing so. First, land reform is a long-term endeavour. It can't be used to solve immediate problems, such as the protest.

Second, Hongkies, and that includes Carrie Lam and the government leadership, as well as protest leaders such as Martin Lee and Anson Chan, are thoroughly brainwashed by their ex-colonial master. They think the British way is not only the best way, but the only legitimate way. Well, the British way (pure capitalism) is what has given rise to HK's housing problems because big money always wins.

Third, even if Carrie Lam could wave a magic wan and solve HK's housing problem overnight, the insurrection would continue because the aim of the CIA is not stopping extradition or solving the housing problem. The CIA's aim is regime change - for HK and China. The only solution for Carrie Lam is to combat the CIA, starting with kicking out American instigators.

All the above problems were faced and solved by Lee Kuan Yew. Today, over 80% of Singaporeans live in government housing, and they are good quality housing comparable to or better than private flats in HK. LKY didn't care about British aristocratic niceties. He enacted the infamous Land Acquition Act, giving the government power to take private land with less than market value compensation. LKY didn't give a shit about the CIA or American diplomats in the country either. He actually kicked out some of them.

As for protesters, he simply locked them up behind bars without trial under the also infamous Internal Security Act. For good measure, he threw away the keys. The longest-held detainee was behind bars longer than even Nelson Mandela.

I am not saying Carrie Lam should follow LKY to the hilt. I personally fought LKY in my own way. What I am saying is that LKY had solved the problems faced by Carrie Lam currently. She could ask Singapore for some advice.

LKY would never concede the moral high ground to protesters. In contrast, Carrie Lam acts as if the protesters have the moral high ground for violence and disruption of public life and space. She was stupid enough to even go to court to get a court order to stop those hooligans from occupying the airport. Which government in the world would need a court order to stop thugs from occupying a country's airport? LKY would also never concede the TV screen to protesters. In contrast again, Carrie Lam conceded the TV screen to protesters. So the world gets the impression that HK is totally in flames, and the protesters are the good guys battling the evil represented by Carrie Lam.

Carrie Lam is doing the opposite of everything LKY did to solve similar problems. She should ask Singapore for advice.

Wakalukong

Jesus Christ is a WHITE RACE monopoly Power

Sep 7, 2019, 12:03:26 AM9/7/19
HONG KONG PROTESTORS want
one man one vote...
one woman one vote ....

not the 50 % of legislative council
non voting appointees ....

protestors want total autonomy
for HONG KONG ... all Independent
except the flag ...

to be total independent to make
international agreements

Jesus Christ is a WHITE RACE monopoly Power

Sep 7, 2019, 12:15:51 AM9/7/19
USA won't allow outside carriers to fly or to ship goods to PEURTO RICO

ALL OUTSIDE CARRIERS can fly to
HONG KONG without CPC CHINA 's agreement

this HONG KONG is acting as a Separate nation with international agreements outside the control of
CHINA ...
in 2047 CHINA must change all laws and international agreements with all nations

ltlee1

Sep 7, 2019, 10:03:49 PM9/7/19
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 8:16:31 PM UTC-4, wakal...@yahoo.com.sg wrote:
> Take on the property tycoons? There are three major problems in doing so. First, land reform is a long-term endeavour. It can't be used to solve immediate problems, such as the protest.

Wrong according to the following written by Legislator Quat.

https://www.thinkhk.com/article/2019-08/27/36179.html
"筆者認為,政府應認真考慮使用「尚方寶劍」,即《收回土地條例》來盡快增加土地供應。條例賦予行政長官近乎絕對的收地權力,只要行政長官會同行政會議認為任何類別用途的土地符合「公共用途」,而作出公共用途的收回,政府是有權力收回量閑置的農地。若土地大部份都作規劃興建公屋及居屋,相信政府是能夠中短期內大幅改善香港的土地荒,至少讓市民見到一個清晰的時間表。

政府多番表示,《收回土地條例》是不可以隨意亂用,因為有侵犯私有產權之疑慮。但是非常時期,就要用非常手段去解決問題。發展商在新界擁有的可發展土地,超過一千公頃,即使只是收回十分之一,也有過百公頃土地,有效解決市民之急;此外,政府亦可對長期荒廢農地的擁有人開徵懲罰性稅項,甚至不續約到期的地契以收回土地。"

> Second, Hongkies, and that includes Carrie Lam and the government leadership, as well as protest leaders such as Martin Lee and Anson Chan, are thoroughly brainwashed by their ex-colonial master. They think the British way is not only the best way, but the only legitimate way. Well, the British way (pure capitalism) is what has given rise to HK's housing problems because big money always wins.

Actually, I agree that Lam and Martin Lee and Anson China belong to the same small highly excluive and cohesive group of Hong Kongers. This is also why I think she was talking to the opposition from the beginning. No reason not to.

> Third, even if Carrie Lam could wave a magic wan and solve HK's housing problem overnight, the insurrection would continue because the aim of the CIA is not stopping extradition or solving the housing problem. The CIA's aim is regime change - for HK and China. The only solution for Carrie Lam is to combat the CIA, starting with kicking out American instigators.

This depends on the like of Martin Lee and Anson Chan-Fong. The Democratic Party accepts 1C2S but they think Hong Kong should have a higher status according its website several year ago.

> All the above problems were faced and solved by Lee Kuan Yew. Today, over 80% of Singaporeans live in government housing, and they are good quality housing comparable to or better than private flats in HK. LKY didn't care about British aristocratic niceties. He enacted the infamous Land Acquition Act, giving the government power to take private land with less than market value compensation. LKY didn't give a shit about the CIA or American diplomats in the country either. He actually kicked out some of them.

Hong Kong has high degree of autonomy. But self-rule is after all not self-determination. If Lam-Cheng is in communication with Beijing, the only advice Beijing would give is with caution and minimize casualty. That is she alone would be the fall guy.

> As for protesters, he simply locked them up behind bars without trial under the also infamous Internal Security Act. For good measure, he threw away the keys. The longest-held detainee was behind bars longer than even Nelson Mandela.

This is exactly why she needs to go to the people, not waiting for the people to go to her.

> I am not saying Carrie Lam should follow LKY to the hilt. I personally fought LKY in my own way. What I am saying is that LKY had solved the problems faced by Carrie Lam currently. She could ask Singapore for some advice.
>
> LKY would never concede the moral high ground to protesters. In contrast, Carrie Lam acts as if the protesters have the moral high ground for violence and disruption of public life and space. She was stupid enough to even go to court to get a court order to stop those hooligans from occupying the airport. Which government in the world would need a court order to stop thugs from occupying a country's airport? LKY would also never concede the TV screen to protesters. In contrast again, Carrie Lam conceded the TV screen to protesters. So the world gets the impression that HK is totally in flames, and the protesters are the good guys battling the evil represented by Carrie Lam.
>
> Carrie Lam is doing the opposite of everything LKY did to solve similar problems. She should ask Singapore for advice.

Again, Hong KOng is promised self-govern, not self determination.

> Wakalukong

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Sep 8, 2019, 1:26:00 AM9/8/19
Ltlee, don't tell me I am wrong just because somebody else says something different. Use your brain.

Wakalukong

ltlee1

Sep 8, 2019, 6:41:00 AM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:26:00 AM UTC-4, wakal...@yahoo.com.sg wrote:
> Ltlee, don't tell me I am wrong just because somebody else says something different. Use your brain.
>
> Wakalukong

Feel free to explain why a Hong Kong Legislator's view on using eminent domain to take some land for public usage from the land tycoon under the current situation is wrong, factually and logically speaking.

Jesus Christ is a lying JEW BASTARD

Sep 8, 2019, 7:09:33 AM9/8/19
Hong Kong's capitalist laws do not allow confiscation of private lands ....

To confiscate private land s in
Hong Kong
.. Hong Kong must change to Communist law lands

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Sep 8, 2019, 8:33:59 AM9/8/19
Ltlee, feel free to tell me why I am wrong when I said the Singapore government has a law to take private land, but you and a HK legislator are right when you both said HK should have a law to take private land.

Wakalukong

ltlee1

Sep 8, 2019, 9:56:44 AM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:33:59 AM UTC-4, wakal...@yahoo.com.sg wrote:
> Ltlee, feel free to tell me why I am wrong when I said the Singapore government has a law to take private land, but you and a HK legislator are right when you both said HK should have a law to take private land.
>
> Wakalukong

No one is saying "HK should have a law to take private land. HK already has the law which would allow the government to take private land.

wakal...@yahoo.com.sg

Sep 8, 2019, 9:38:34 PM9/8/19
Ltlee always loses the plot after one exchange.

Wakalukong

wogw...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2019, 10:39:39 PM9/8/19
A good piece of analysis, especially on the issue of leadership.