Sharon as an Irish Name?

Sharon Krossa

Dec 28, 1994, 9:14:46 AM12/28/94
Greetings all:
I have been wondering for many years about the "Irishness" of my
first name: Sharon. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question.
In the United States, 'Sharon' is almost universally regarded as
being an Irish Catholic name, with a smaller number coming from a Jewish
background. It's not a particularly common name (I've met less than a dozen
Sharon's in the USA) though I'm told its actually on the top 50 names
list of the last 100 years or so, though near the bottom (again, in the USA).
All my life I've been told 'Sharon' is an Irish name, and I have
never met a Sharon in the USA who did not think the same and who was not
of Irish Catholic ancestry. Now, I know that originally the name comes
from the _Song of Songs_ in the Bible, from the reference to "the rose of
Sharon", the Sharon there being a geographic location (a plain I'm told).
My question is not about the original source, but about whether Sharon is
a common name in Ireland, now or in the past, or is Sharon more
accurately described in the USA as a "Irish-American" name rather than an
"Irish" name? Did Sharon only become popular among Irish ancestered
people *after* they arrived in the USA, or is this a continuation of Irish
tradition?
I have searched Irish and Scots Gaelic name lists in vain for a
gaelic version of Sharon (as a name), which I would have expected if it
was a longstanding traditional name (Just as one finds all the popular
saints names from the bible in Irish form...). Does Sharon exist as a
name in Irish (Gaelic)?
If Sharon isn't and wasn't ever a popular Irish Catholic name (in
Ireland) -- where did the American perception that it is/was come from?
Anyway, I hope you can help me solve this mystery!
Thank you,
Sharon Krossa, s.kr...@aberdeen.ac.uk (don't be fooled by my email
address -- I really am an American!)
PS I am aware of the amazing popularity and rather unflattering
stereotypes associated with the name Sharon in England and Scotland --
was rather a shock coming from the USA where all it meant was you were
probably Irish and *that* is regarded in the USA as being a *good* thing! ;-)

Chris Hedley

Dec 28, 1994, 11:13:41 AM12/28/94
nah, the name Sharon is native to the county of Essex. I *won't* mention
white stilettos or XR3i's. Oh bugger. :) :) :)

Sorry, couldn't resist; I don't really know, although I do know a couple
of Sharon's who are Irish...
Cheers,

Chris.
--
"If the world was an orange it would be like much too small, y'know?" - Neil'83
Chris Hedley email: c...@vodka.wlo.dec.com

sbar...@cruzio.com

Dec 28, 1994, 1:28:29 PM12/28/94

My copy of Irish First Names has this to say about "Sharon":

Hebrew (the plain). A name which seems well-established in Ireland
today.

Suzanne B.
--
Suzanne Barrett

sbar...@cruzio.com

J. Andel

Dec 29, 1994, 5:32:10 AM12/29/94

Hi Sharon!

you are pretty right, Sharon is a Hebrew name of a plain somewhere
in the country. It is also used as a name for girls. Also in
other countries. More Jewish names are pretty common like 'Simon'.

greetings,

Jos.
--
J. Andel High Tech Automation BV
Systeembeheerder Leijenseweg 115 B

Dermot McNally

Dec 30, 1994, 5:26:24 PM12/30/94
In article <3ds2rl$a...@vodka.rhc.dec.com>, c...@vodka.rhc.dec.com says...

>nah, the name Sharon is native to the county of Essex. I *won't* mention
>white stilettos or XR3i's. Oh bugger. :) :) :)

>Sorry, couldn't resist; I don't really know, although I do know a couple
>of Sharon's who are Irish...
>Cheers,

I know plenty more. Only some of them seem to have cousins in Essex...
Oops!

Dermot

Dermot McNally | Life is too short
der...@everest.internet-eireann.ie | to learn vi
8920...@dcu.ie |
Phone +353-1-8252074 |

keeu...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2016, 12:49:29 PM4/11/16
My name is Sharron O'Brien definitely Iris-Catholic descent however, I also have met few Sharon's and in particular spelt the same as mine w 2 re's, my son lived on Ireland for a year and told me the favourite nick name for Sharron's was Shazza....I love it

libram...@yahoo.com

Jun 28, 2016, 6:39:22 AM6/28/16
Searon

sailin...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 7:46:26 PM4/23/17
I'm an Scot/Irish Sharon, however my mom spelled my name SHARAN. No she's not from either country, she's from Arkansas. I thinks that just about says it all LOL. Oh she also decided messing up my first name wasn't enough she sees my middle name MAREE. Yes it's supposed to be Marie. All I can say is Arkansas.

sm.mc...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2017, 4:45:49 PM12/25/17
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I am Sharon Marie, of the Irish Catholic culture. Both sides of my family are of solid lineage back to Ireland. My experience is exactly the same as you describe Sharon Krossa!

I enjoyed reading the feedback (of the pleasant kind:), and I enjoy the Hebrew connection.

I was just enjoying a bit to eat before Christmas dinner and I decided to google my name. I have long been aware of the Hebrew origin, but I never pursued how the name fits in Ireland. All of my sibs have very Irish names.

Thank you- very enjoyable!

Sharon sm.mc...@gmail.com

hudsons...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2018, 11:49:57 PM1/10/18
I am also Sharon I knew My name was Hebrew,But My Maternal Grandma was born in Ireland and told me its an Irish name,My children are Erin,Megan and Brandon keeping a bit Irish still

sharon...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2018, 3:47:06 AM6/1/18
My name is Sharon too,just given by our neighbor without any ideas where the name came from or it's origin. But based on my research it was a Hebrew name means plain. I'm a Filipino, I thought my name is an American name. Now I'm amazed how my name is very interesting and meaningful in the history.

MissyM...@me.com

Aug 14, 2018, 9:37:57 PM8/14/18
My last name is Sharon. It's Scottish/Irish background. It was originally spelt different when my ansestors lived in England.

saell...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2020, 10:56:00 AM2/1/20

My name is Sharon Fitzgerald. Catholic Irish? You bet!

Sharon Azar

Aug 18, 2022, 1:09:44 PM8/18/22