Googol

Tadas Blinda

Feb 17, 2011, 3:56:49 AM2/17/11
Googol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A googol is the the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros:

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

The term was coined in 1938 by 9-year-old Milton Sirotta (1929–1981),
nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner. Kasner popularized the
concept in his book Mathematics and the Imagination (1940).

Other names for googol include ten duotrigintillion on the short
scale, ten thousand sexdecillion on the long scale, or ten
sexdecilliard on the Peletier long scale.

A googol has no particular significance in mathematics, but is useful
when comparing with other very large quantities such as the number of
subatomic particles in the visible universe or the number of possible
chess games. Edward Kasner used it to illustrate the difference
between an unimaginably large number and infinity, and in this role it
is sometimes used in teaching mathematics.

Extending the idea, a googolplex is ten raised to the power of one
googol; it is much larger number. In the documentary Cosmos,
astronomer and broadcast personality Carl Sagan estimated that writing
a googolplex in base-10 numerals (i.e., 1 followed by a googol of
zeroes) would be physically impossible, since doing so would require
more space than the known universe provides.

In popular culture

* The company name Google is a misspelling of the word "Googol"
made by founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, as described in the book
The Google Story by David A. Vise.
* In the January 23, 1963, Peanuts strip, Lucy asks Schroeder what the
chances are of them getting married, and Schroeder responds "Oh, I'd
say about 'googol' to one."

Ostap Bender

Feb 17, 2011, 4:33:56 AM2/17/11
On Feb 17, 12:56 am, Tadas Blinda <tadas.bli...@lycos.es> wrote:
> Googol
>
> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>
> A googol is the the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros:
>
> 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

A curious mathematical fact: if you take away just one "O" from
GOOGOL, you will get the famous Ukrainian-Russian writer GOGOL. Which
sort of makes Gogol to be 10 times smaller than Googol.

Of course, nothing can beat Andres Cantor's
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Cantor

Andrés Cantor is a Spanish-language sportscaster in the United States.
Born in Argentina, Mr. Cantor primarily provides Spanish-language
commentary of soccer matches, though he covers other sports as well;
he also has provided soccer commentary in English. As a result, he is
well known among English-speakers in the United States.[1]

Cantor is famous for his signature call of
"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!", a call which for decades has
been a popular (and almost universal) play-by-play announcement method
of a soccer team's score throughout Latin America and one which, due
to translation and cultural dissonance issues, was absent from the
lexicon of UK-based soccer play-by-play commentators. Cantor was the
first to introduce this climactic scoring call to a U.S. audience
while working at Univision, making him popular with American
audiences. He first used it at the 1990 FIFA World Cup, but it became
especially popular during the 1994 World Cup, which was held in the
United States. It became so popular, in fact, that Cantor made guest
appearances on the Late Show with David Letterman during the '94 and
'98 tournaments, and after the tournament was over. He was
broadcasting from Paris for the Late Show during the 1998 World Cup.
The call is now being sold as a ringtone on Telemundo's website.[4] He
says that Diego Maradona's goal at the 1986 World Cup in which he ran
from midfield past five England defenders to score brought tears to
his eyes (Cantor was working at the game). That goal became known as
the "Goal of the Century," and took place after the infamous "Hand of
God" goal. The yell was also used in a popular Volkswagen commercial
that aired in the U.S. around the time of the 1998 World Cup.