Issue with intellipoint/intellitype and windows magnifier

Dark_Jester

Apr 10, 2012, 6:09:54 PM4/10/12
to Snarl Discussion
I have a Sidewinder X8 mouse and a Sidewinder X6 keyboard and I use
Intellipoint and Intellitype to toggle the windows magnifier on or
off.using the bottom thumb button of my mouse and the S1 key on the
keyboard. This is a very important feature for me as I am a visually
impaired user.

When I run Snarl I can only get the magnifier to turn on, and it has
been very frustrating having to track down the floating icon or the
taskbar button to close magnifier once it is open. Also, quitting
snarl does not solve the problem, once it's done it's done and I have
to log in and then out or reboot the machine.

What could be causing this behaviour? It is only Snarl that does this,
so I'm more inclined to think the issue lies there rather than with
the mouse and keyboard drivers or with the magnifier app, and I really
like Snarl, so I don't want to stop using it.

Chris

Apr 11, 2012, 1:32:42 AM4/11/12
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I'll admit I'm a bit stumped but I'll test out Windows Magnifier today to see if I can replicate the issue you're having.

Snarl doesn't do anything underhand with the windows on your screen to my knowledge - I'll investigate and report back.

Dark_Jester

Apr 11, 2012, 7:31:24 AM4/11/12
to Snarl Discussion
Thanks, for the quick reply. I'm running snarl under Windows 7
Ultimate 64-bit, in case you need to know. If you need any other
platform specs just tell me.

Sven Walther

Apr 11, 2012, 8:12:43 AM4/11/12
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
@Chris: if it depends on the plattform: I have Windows 7 64 Bit
Enterprise so am very close ;)

Chris

Apr 11, 2012, 8:41:36 AM4/11/12
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

On 11 Apr 2012, at 13:12, Sven Walther <pidgi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> @Chris: if it depends on the plattform: I have Windows 7 64 Bit
> Enterprise so am very close ;)

Would you be able to do some testing? I've tried Magnifier and it doesn't seem to conflict with Snarl but I don't have it launching from a hotkey (and obviously don't have the Sidewinder hardware to test with).

> Am 11/04/2012 13:31, schrieb Dark_Jester:
>> Thanks, for the quick reply. I'm running snarl under Windows 7
>> Ultimate 64-bit, in case you need to know. If you need any other
>> platform specs just tell me.

Dark_Jester

Apr 12, 2012, 6:17:52 PM4/12/12
to Snarl Discussion
Sure, I'd be willing to do testing. I'd hazard a guess that it's more
the Intellipoint and Intellitype software doing it, rather than the
specific hardware, so if you have a M$ mouse lurking in a drawer then
that'd probably do the trick. What tests would you like me to do?

Chris

Apr 13, 2012, 5:46:31 AM4/13/12
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

On 12 Apr 2012, at 23:17, Dark_Jester wrote:

> Sure, I'd be willing to do testing. I'd hazard a guess that it's more
> the Intellipoint and Intellitype software doing it, rather than the
> specific hardware, so if you have a M$ mouse lurking in a drawer then
> that'd probably do the trick. What tests would you like me to do?

My reply was actually to Sven as he's at least got 64-bit Windows 7 (which is more than I have access to) :-)

That aside, could you try assigning Magnifier to a different hotkey combination just in case Snarl is messing with the key combo.

Also, can you test what happens if:

1. You have magnifier running, then start Snarl
2. You have Snarl running, then start Magnifier

I'm just trying to limit the number of permutations you hit this issue under.

Thanks!