is this a good tutorial to learn more about snap

r/ Wobben

Mar 24, 2016, 8:40:44 AM3/24/16
to Snap Framework
Hello,

IM learning Haskell by following the haskell book written by bitemyapp.

I have done all chapters except the monads. that one are still on the to-do list

Now I like to get a feeling how snap works.

Is this a good tutorial serie: https://www.schoolofhaskell.com/user/adinapoli/the-pragmatic-haskeller a good one.

Roelof

MightyByte

Mar 24, 2016, 8:54:35 AM3/24/16
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
I haven't gone through that tutorial, but it looks pretty good. You
should certainly go through the tutorials at
http://snapframework.com/docs. Those are the official ones and are
more likely to be up to date since we always respond to pull requests
for them when errors are found.

There is also a book that might be helpful. http://snapforbeginners.com/

We've also started collecting links at
https://www.reddit.com/r/snapframework. You may find some other
useful things there.
> --
>
> ---

r/ Wobben

Mar 24, 2016, 9:27:37 AM3/24/16
to Snap Framework
Thanks,

Looking at the official one it seems that I have to learn the monads and lenses first before I can begin with Snap.

Monads are the 5 chaoters that follow the chapter that I almost finisched.

MightyByte

Mar 24, 2016, 9:37:27 AM3/24/16
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
Lenses aren't strictly required. You can avoid the snap package for
now and use only the snap-core interface which doesn't require lenses
at all. But monads are pretty much everywhere since that is how you
have to do side effects in Haskell. And since web servers are
communicating with the outside world they require side effects!

MightyByte

Mar 24, 2016, 9:43:17 AM3/24/16
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
You also might be interested in working through the monad challenges I
wrote as an alternative to the standard kind of tutorial.

http://mightybyte.github.io/monad-challenges/