My ZuriHac 2014 Project

Alfredo Di Napoli

Jun 10, 2014, 3:03:56 AM6/10/14
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I've blogged (and there is a screencast included) about my ZuriHac 2014 project; I've basically worked on a version of snaplet-perf which uses acid-state instead of zoom-cache:

http://www.alfredodinapoli.com/posts/2014-06-09-my-zurihac-project-revamping-snaplet-perf.html

What you reckon?
Alfredo

Gregory Collins

Jun 10, 2014, 5:45:30 AM6/10/14
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
It looks cool -- the graphs are a little strange though, for aggregates like "average response time" you'd prefer to see a different graph, preferably bar or box plot. If you keep a larger number of quantiles you can do really cool effects here like a blended-color stack plot for latency, something like this:

If you pick the color maps with narrow saturation peaks around the 50% and 95% level then you can get a really nice at-a-glance understanding of latency behaviour this way.

Re: the storage backend, not sure why you would choose acid-state here, as this basically rules it out for serious production use. The reason Doug picked zoom-cache in the first place is that it's designed with this format in mind: you have timeseries data that you would like to:

  a) stream to disk
  b) summarize and index this data in a way (successive power-of-2 aggregation/precomputation) that allows you to read an arbitrary time range with a constant or log-factor amount of disk (and RAM) I/O.

A service doing 10qps (pretty meager these days), assuming an acid-state overhead of 256 bytes per request (not unreasonable?), is going to generate 211MB of log data every day. It's not practical to store this on the heap.

Alfredo

--

---

Gregory Collins <gr...@gregorycollins.net>

Alfredo Di Napoli

Jun 10, 2014, 8:05:21 AM6/10/14
to snap_fr...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 10 June 2014, Gregory Collins <gr...@gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> It looks cool -- the graphs are a little strange though, for aggregates like "average response time" you'd prefer to see a different graph, preferably bar or box plot.

The js library I have used, Rickshaw, supports different renderer. This is a quick preview using the "bar" renderer. plotting is supported as well:

http://imgur.com/xUjK02h

> Re: the storage backend, not sure why you would choose acid-state here, as this basically rules it out for serious production use.

I'm well aware of the reasons why Doug choose zoom-cache in the first place, I wrote the rationale behind using acid-state at the hackaton in my blog post, so for saving some typing I'll redirect to the read of the full blog post. I do agree though that the current solution is probably hackaton-quality.

Alfredo