Atomic Dragon Turds

Gary Wiviott

Apr 9, 2010, 3:47:28 PM4/9/10
to Porch
Porch,

Doing a couple of batches of ADTs, about 75 total. More than even I
can eat in one sitting. <smile>

Enjoy,
Gary

--
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Baconfest5.jpg
Baconfest12.jpg
Baconfest15.jpg

Bruce Cook

Apr 9, 2010, 3:54:06 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Nice looking turds Gary. Can you toss one a little SW in my direction? Or
want to meet for dinner at Stop 50 Woodfired Pizzeria?

Bruce
mailto:br...@bdbbq.com

Porch,

Enjoy,
Gary

--
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Kurt Lucas

Apr 9, 2010, 3:54:06 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
All I can muster up to say is: OMG!

Kurt

Apr 9, 2010, 4:00:29 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Bruce, Kurt,

For a demo I'm doing tomorrow at Baconfest, should be a rocking good time.
http://baconfestchicago.com/

Did this batch with a mix of hot and mild Italian sausage, dried date,
jalapeno and Nueske's bacon. Low and Slow with apple wood.

Turned out pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Bill Martin

Apr 9, 2010, 4:05:26 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Whoa! That looks exceedingly good. I can smell 'um from here.

Bill

> --
> Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
> http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

> <Baconfest5.jpg><Baconfest12.jpg><Baconfest15.jpg>

You can't change the world by adopting an animal, but you can change the whole world for that animal.
-----Author Unknown

2fa...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2010, 4:25:10 PM4/9/10
to Bbq
Get a bigger cooker--then its only one batch<SF>

Apr 9, 2010, 4:27:24 PM4/9/10
to Bbq
The dates really do add a nice touch!

Apr 9, 2010, 5:55:41 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Did I tell ya about the chroizo stuffed dates wrapped with bacon?? With a
jalepeno dipping sauce...good stuff Maynard!!

I had them at an event called a Chocolate Affair here in Chuck. The crab
cakes with creole sauce were pretty tasty too. But, the
chocolate....undescribable!!

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

Bill Martin

Apr 9, 2010, 6:01:36 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Jack Waiboer wrote:

> Did I tell ya about the chroizo stuffed dates wrapped with bacon??

OK…. Dates, stuffed with Chorizo, (dry or wet???), wrapped in bacon…. and then?

Smoked, broiled, pan sautéd??

C'mon. Give.

Bill

Jack Waiboer

Apr 9, 2010, 6:08:45 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Baked but could be easily smoked. It would make a great anything butt. It
had everything you needed in one bite; sweet, bacon, crunchy, hot, smooth,
the jalapeno dipping sauce was served cool so you got a bit of creamy cool
out of that. It was the first thing that has turned my head in quite some
time...except "Blue Eyes" of course. :))

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Jack Waiboer wrote:

> Did I tell ya about the chroizo stuffed dates wrapped with bacon??

OK�. Dates, stuffed with Chorizo, (dry or wet???), wrapped in bacon�. and
then?

Smoked, broiled, pan saut�d??

C'mon. Give.

Bill

You can't change the world by adopting an animal, but you can change the
whole world for that animal.
-----Author Unknown

2fa...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2010, 6:10:11 PM4/9/10
to Bbq
You noticed my eyes too???

On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Jack Waiboer wrote:

> Did I tell ya about the chroizo stuffed dates wrapped with bacon??

OK…. Dates, stuffed with Chorizo, (dry or wet???), wrapped in bacon…. and
then?

Smoked, broiled, pan sautéd??

Bill Martin

Apr 9, 2010, 6:18:17 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
The Jalapeño dipping sauce was thin? thick? Creamy? Vinegary?

Bill

On Apr 9, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Jack Waiboer wrote:

> Baked but could be easily smoked. It would make a great anything butt. It had everything you needed in one bite; sweet, bacon, crunchy, hot, smooth, the jalapeno dipping sauce was served cool so you got a bit of creamy cool out of that. It was the first thing that has turned my head in quite some time...except "Blue Eyes" of course. :))
>
> Jack W.
> Charleston, SC
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Martin" <bma...@island-styles.com>

Glenn Middendorf

Apr 9, 2010, 6:22:22 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Gary I'm starting to thing you like the ceramic cooker better than the WSM? Is my assumption on the money? :)

Glenn
www.hogtiedbackyardbbq.com

On Apr 9, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Gary Wiviott <wivio...@gmail.com> wrote:

Porch,

Doing a couple of batches of ADTs, about 75 total. More than even I
can eat in one sitting. <smile>

Enjoy,
Gary

--
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

<Baconfest5.jpg>
<Baconfest12.jpg>
<Baconfest15.jpg>

Gary Wiviott

Apr 9, 2010, 7:26:57 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Glenn Middendorf <gmi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gary I'm starting to thing you like the ceramic cooker better than the WSM?
> Is my assumption on the money? :)

Nope, like em both. Reason I used the Green Egg for the Dragon Turds
was it was already in the backyard. I thought about getting the WSM 22
out of the garage, too much effort, thought about using a Green Egg
second grate thing(ie) I have, too complicated, so just went with what
was handy.

Its a nice day in Chicago, two rounds of dragon turds gave me more
chance to be outside.
--
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Kevin Cleek

Apr 9, 2010, 7:37:58 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Jack Waiboer wrote:
> SNIP <

It was the first thing that has turned my head
> in quite some time...except "Blue Eyes" of course. :))
>
> Jack W.
> Charleston, SC

So you have this "thing" for Frank Sinatra?

Okay...maybe a backporch sort of thing?

Kevin

John Douglas

Apr 9, 2010, 7:45:47 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I'm not Gary and I did not play him on TV, but IMHO the Egg is a great cooker for a number of reasons. I just gave my, like new, WSM to Jana's daughter in law from Tulsa.

I hate to get on a soap box again, but if you get those accessories from the guy in Texas, you can cook/smoke a lot of food in it. As those of you know I, even though Gary insists on standing by his buddy in his book and gives him a pass...who makes me look like an piker cooker trader, have gone through a few smokers. Gas, electric, WSM, Hasty Bake, Klose offset used as wood burner and lazy Q, and then an EGG. I have left out a few just to keep you guessing/// :) IMHO, the HB was the worst one...even though I know why now...............very high price for a thin metal cooker.

For various reasons each had it's place in time..............But the Egg serves most of my needs now when using smoke, but for certain cooks the gas grill is great. Just did some of those spicy sausages the other night on the gas grill and while the egg would have been just fine, it would be a PIA for such a short cook.

Now, all that said, you do need to be "committed" to smoking food to spend that kind of money for an Egg, a Primo or any other type of ceramic cooker. If you are starting out and not sure where you are going, while not cheap either the WSM would still be my recommendation.

As a side bar, Bruce, who has not cooked on a ceramic cooker nailed it............don't get it too hot in the beginning and you will be fine. It is amazing how little a fire you need to get up to 200-225 in a hurry, plus as Gary mentioned some time back it takes some "unlearning" to choke the fire back by closing the exhaust. I have no doubt Bruce would do great in one or two cooks.

Yikes!!! I was just going to make a short reply.........

John( who is becoming a chatty Kathy typist

Apr 9, 2010, 8:20:19 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Matt Polak AIA

Apr 9, 2010, 8:41:25 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
John,

Luv I mean luv my egg, I am no bbq expert by any stretch and am enjoying this group immensly, but when I was looking for a serious grill(yes grill) to do serious steaks the egg was it, after about 30 seconds into the dvd, the whole new world of low and slow was opened up and the rest is history. We use it at least 4 times a week for one thing or another, and the kids (ages 3 and 5)just finished eating their own pizza's made on the LBGE.

--
Matt Polak AIA
Chisholm Architects

From: "John Douglas" <JohnD...@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 18:45:47 -0500

Gary Wiviott

Apr 9, 2010, 9:03:14 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM, John Douglas <JohnD...@cox.net> wrote:
> I looked up the address you gave and they left your name off ot the list for
> the baconfest tomorrow.

John,

Not cheffing, doing a demo. My main focus is to try all the chefs
bacon preparations at least twice. I may very well be baconed out by
tomorrow evening. (Baconed out, wow, did I really say that? <smile>)

Demo
http://baconfestchicago.com/2010/04/06/gebert-and-wiviott-to-demo-recipes-at-baconfest/

Ni...@parkaq.com

Apr 9, 2010, 10:58:45 PM4/9/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

No arguments for anyone who grills or smokes on whatever they choose and may the smoke be with you.  I adhere to the “Grill and let grill BUTT give me some if you’re near me mentality”  I also know that  all good grills and smokers can be PP “Properly Parked”…and like the Lonely Grill Blues song goes…  “I got my smoke on I got my smoke on…..do you know what I’m saying…”

Nick

No more lonely grills!

ParkAQ.com

capta...@comcast.net

Apr 10, 2010, 4:10:58 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Same excuse here.  I find I use my BGE more and more since it is all one piece and on wheels.  Much easier to just roll it out of the garage without having to carry the WSM.

Merrill

> Gary I'm starting to thing you like the ceramic cooker better than the WSM?
> Is my assumption on the money? :)

Nope, like em both. Reason I used the Green Egg for the Dragon Turds
was it was already in the backyard. I thought about getting the WSM 22
out of the garage, too much effort, thought about using a Green Egg
second grate thing(ie) I have, too complicated, so just went with what
was handy.

Its a nice day in Chicago, two rounds of dragon turds gave me more
chance to be outside.

big...@wildblue.net

Apr 10, 2010, 8:44:24 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean, "becoming":-)
BeeJay

John Douglas

Apr 10, 2010, 9:45:45 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
LOL

John.........until this addition it was my shortest post ever :)

Kurt Lucas

Apr 10, 2010, 10:25:54 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

No.. not usually.

Kurt

John Douglas

Apr 10, 2010, 10:36:07 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Certainly looks like a fun day. Easy to see why it is sold out.
John
Apr 10, 2010, 11:15:13 AM4/10/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I am a few inches above but am using the standard grate but will most likely upgrade haven't done the reverse sear but will took me a while to learn how to cook steaks to everyone's liking and finish at approx. Same time, the reverse sear may actually work better for that

--
Matt Polak AIA
Chisholm Architects

From: "John Douglas" <JohnD...@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:38:26 -0500
Subject: [BBQ] BGE & steaks/was Atomic Dragon Turds

Gary Wiviott

Apr 13, 2010, 2:17:35 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Porch,

Baconfest was a blast, a bacon filled expo on the lower level,
12-talented chefs on the upper, lots of bacon themed booze and a fun
energetic crowd. I had the best of both worlds, did a short demo,
which I enjoyed doing, and had all access for the rest of the day for
my wife and I.

Attached picture by Steve Zaransky.

BaconfestDemo1.jpg

Ni...@parkaq.com

Apr 13, 2010, 2:24:00 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Awesome spread Gary. Nice little pig trophies too.  I like the way the book is Low & Slow PP - Properly Propped :)

Nick

Did you PP Garys boook today?

ParkAQ.com

Apr 13, 2010, 6:33:27 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
well done--sounds like a nice day for sure

Apr 13, 2010, 7:39:44 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
great pic gary, steve does a nice with pic's

Apr 13, 2010, 9:56:39 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
'Splain the PBR.

Kurt

Apr 13, 2010, 9:57:04 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm....bacon or PBR.....bacon or PBR.....Too many choices!

Robert King

> --
> Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
> http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

> <BaconfestDemo1.jpg>

Erin Fuller

Apr 13, 2010, 10:18:43 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I know right. PBR's? If it was an Old Milwaukee it just wouldn't have been any better.

Erin

> From: lifes...@comcast.net
> To: smoker...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: RE: [BBQ] Atomic Dragon Turds

Gary Wiviott

Apr 13, 2010, 10:53:46 AM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Kurt Lucas <lifes...@comcast.net> wrote:
> 'Splain the PBR.

Simple, PBR was a Baconfest sponsor.

Been a while, a good long while, since I drank PBR, tasted pretty
good, in particular the slightly over carbonated style cut through
bacon richness like a lawn mower through grass.

--
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Scot Murphy

Apr 13, 2010, 5:21:10 PM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 13, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Erin Fuller wrote:

> I know right. PBR's? If it was an Old Milwaukee it just wouldn't have been any better.

There are a few brews I'd think about jumping off the wagon for (but only for a moment...I wouldn't, really). Just for old times' sake. I'd love to get my hands on some original recipe Schlitz and Falstaff. Maybe Hamm's. But if there was one beer I really would do it for, thankfully it's a beer that doesn't exist anymore: South Bend's very own Drewry's. They went out of business before I hit adulthood, but some oldsters still remember it fondly.

I wonder if that resurrected label, Sieber's I think it was, is still resuscitated. That was a fine, full, rich lager using a recipe about a century old. Here's something you might laugh at. I was talking with my nephew some time ago about how I like my beer, but one is too many and a hundred not enough...and I said, you know, if they ever came out with a non-addictive beer, I'd drink that ALL the time. My nephew laughed at that, and said it was spoken like a true alcoholic. What can I say? He's right!

Scot "sticking with tea and coffee now" Murphy

big...@wildblue.net

Apr 13, 2010, 5:52:53 PM4/13/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Drewry's, I think yousta be called Mountie Piss.
BeeJay

Hey BeeJay, easy now. If it was Mountie piss it would be a hell of a lot stronger than that stuff you Americans call beer! (grin)